prescribed wellbutrin not sure about taking it

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.33%

prescribed wellbutrin not sure about taking it

so i went to the doc and told him that i had been very fatigued lately, having headaches at all times of the day, a hazy feeling and didnt have much interest in things. He prescribed me wellbutrin but after reading everything on the net im scared to start taking it. I am wondering if there were any good natural cures out there and if wellbutrin is something you can become addictive/dependent on.

2. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.57%

Higher dose EPA/DHA around a total of 6 grams per day taken with meals in 2 divided dosages.

Shown to be as effective for depression/anxiety as SSRI's and the like.

Read this article on Wellbutrin and you'll see it can be quite useful.

http://mindandmuscle.net/articles/an...vick/bupropion
  3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.29%

Quote Originally Posted by eatbig2getbig View Post
    so i went to the doc and told him that i had been very fatigued lately, having headaches at all times of the day, a hazy feeling and didnt have much interest in things. He prescribed me wellbutrin but after reading everything on the net im scared to start taking it. I am wondering if there were any good natural cures out there and if wellbutrin is something you can become addictive/dependent on.
    I was on Wellbutrin for 4-5 months about 8 months ago. I wouldn't say I was addicted or dependent on it as I stopped it cold turkey because I didn't like the extreme aggitation that I developed from it but it is basically "the happy pill". Just makes you cheery but when you get pissed...you get pissed...but again everyone reacts differently but that was my gig...just sharing the info
    •   

4. NutraPlanet Fanatic
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.77%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

I am a huge wellbutrin fan. This is the ONLY anti-depressant that has done anything for me at all.

Not only lack of sexual side effects, but actually boosts performance, helps keep weight off, motivates, elevates mood. All in all a very good antidepressant for those with jacked up dopaminergic system, as opposed to serotonin-related depression.
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    BPS - Where Body meets Performance
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.33%

thanks guys.....yea apparently mine is related to dopamine. Hopefully this will help me become motivated again and put some weight back on. After talking with my doctor I have decided to go ahead and try it at least until it gets warm again as I seem to only have these issues in the winter/cold.
  6. NutraPlanet Fanatic
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.77%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

thanks guys.....yea apparently mine is related to dopamine. Hopefully this will help me become motivated again and put some weight back on. After talking with my doctor I have decided to go ahead and try it at least until it gets warm again as I seem to only have these issues in the winter/cold.
    Seasonal Affective Disorder can lower testosterone massiveley. Might want to up your Vitamin D intake, and consider doing some tanning in a UV bed.
  7. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.94%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I agree with Dsade. I'm a pretty big fan of wellbutrin myself.
  8. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.34%

Quote Originally Posted by dsade View Post
    I am a huge wellbutrin fan. This is the ONLY anti-depressant that has done anything for me at all.

Not only lack of sexual side effects, but actually boosts performance, helps keep weight off, motivates, elevates mood. All in all a very good antidepressant for those with jacked up dopaminergic system, as opposed to serotonin-related depression.
    which form of wellbutrin were you taking?
  9. NutraPlanet Fanatic
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.77%

Quote Originally Posted by rick055 View Post
    which form of wellbutrin were you taking?
    SR.
  10. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.29%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I'm taking welbutrin as well atm. With a little bit of yohimbe, it gives me a lil extra boost in the gym

Watch out for insomnia with this drug though, mainly when you first start taking it. Nothing that a lil phenibut can't take care of though.

I have a question about it though, is it safe to keep taking samE while on it?
  11. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.34%

Quote Originally Posted by Gutterpump View Post
    I'm taking welbutrin as well atm. With a little bit of yohimbe, it gives me a lil extra boost in the gym

Watch out for insomnia with this drug though, mainly when you first start taking it. Nothing that a lil phenibut can't take care of though.

Are you taking SR or XL?
  12. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.29%

taking Buproprion XL, 1 300mg cap in the am
  13. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.21%

I'd stay off the sam-e for the first couple months while you're playing with dosage. Sam-e does not play well at all with a lot of anti-depressants, and you really want to know exactly how you're reacting to the Welbutrin, not how you're reacting to the interaction of the two.

Remember, it's going to take at least a month to really see the effects, so don't give up on it early, unless you get some weird side effects(which isn't likely on welbutrin, it's pretty tame). One thing to watch out for is if you start taking and feel AMAZING, stop taking it and call your doc. There's the off chance (very unlikely, it sounds, but still..) that you may be bipolar, and welbutrin can be bad for some BPs.

Also, if you're a smoker, Welbutrin is also marketed as the stop-smoking drug Zyban. Didn't do a damn thing for my girlfriend, who was put on it for depression, but it works for some people.
    The Truth is, there is no Truth.
  14. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.29%

Yeah so far it seems very mild...but it's definately stimulating.

Been around a month for me now. I definately noticed more effects from effexor, but that drug wasn't for me and I doubt I will ever go back to it. I may also need a low-dosed ssri alongside the welbutrin but it's too early to tell.

I wonder how welbutrin would fare with a low dose of aderall or if that could be too stimulating and stress the adrenals. My doc gave me some ativan to combat some anxiety but it doesn't really help (helps me go to sleep sometimes though)...I'm leaning to think (from everything I've read and from a checklist I've seen) that I have some form of A.D.D. since the type of anxiety I get is mostly based around not being able to focus on one thing at a time very easily.
  15. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.34%

Yeah so far it seems very mild...but it's definately stimulating.

Been around a month for me now. I definately noticed more effects from effexor, but that drug wasn't for me and I doubt I will ever go back to it. I may also need a low-dosed ssri alongside the welbutrin but it's too early to tell.

I wonder how welbutrin would fare with a low dose of aderall or if that could be too stimulating and stress the adrenals. My doc gave me some ativan to combat some anxiety but it doesn't really help (helps me go to sleep sometimes though)...I'm leaning to think (from everything I've read and from a checklist I've seen) that I have some form of A.D.D. since the type of anxiety I get is mostly based around not being able to focus on one thing at a time very easily.
    gutterpump,

Please keep us updated; I am having a similar constellation of symptoms; depression, fatigue, SAME anxiety/ADD issue to the T. I am actually starting with Prozac and was planning on adding wellbuytrin, kind of the reverse of what you're doing.

I still take adderrall but get wierded out if I take it for more than a few days, and I am also worried about the adrenal fatigue, so I only take it when necessary. I crash hard on it, too. Provigil helps a little, but is not the perfect solution, and I find myself habituating to it.

Wellbutrin sounds like a great adjunct, but I have also heard it can cause adrenal fatigue. I have really been trying to watch my coffee, etc...as that kind of "can't get out of bed" fatigue can kill you.

Starting TRT helped a lot, but I think I have recently developed an E2 problem (will know tomorrow when I vov doc) which is accounting for the recent aggravation of these symptoms.
  16. On my grind
    Stats
    5'8"  182 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.79%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Id have to say this is a great thread for me to look at. I just recently was told i have anxiety/mild depression issues. Now im not sure if its dopamine or the other type. I do know that i get tired, lack of motivation, hard to get myself going type of thing.

I have an appt to see a psych soon and will bring this up with him/her.

Thanks guys!
    E-Pharm Rep... PM me with any questions or concerns
  17. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.21%

[QUOTE=Gutterpump;1214775]Yeah so far it seems very mild...but it's definately stimulating.

Been around a month for me now. I definately noticed more effects from effexor, but that drug wasn't for me and I doubt I will ever go back to it. QUOTE]

Welbutrin seems to go one way or the other with people, either stimulating or knocks you out. I'm pretty sure you can add Adderal to Welbutrin, Welbutrin tends to play well with just about all meds. Just watch out, Adderall can be LOTS of fun, and it's tempting to abuse it.

I don't know a single person who liked Effexor. Everyone I've ever met who has been on it vehemently refuses to go anywhere near the stuff. You're a zombie with sexual issues while on it, and coming off the stuff can be the worst experience of your life. Docs have started putting people on anti-depressants just for the weening off effexor, it's crazy. (rant over)
  18. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.29%

Most definately. I weened off effexor slowly and still had to go straight to my bedroom after work, for almost 2 weeks. I couldn't even really sit at my computer comfortably or watch tv, etc. I ended up doing a full-system herbal detox/cleanse and by the time it ended, I was feeling better. I still have severly delayed ejaculation ever since stopping it...woulda thought that would have gone away, could be related to low test though, not sure if effexor could have had a play in that as well.
  19. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.21%

Most definately. I weened off effexor slowly and still had to go straight to my bedroom after work, for almost 2 weeks. I couldn't even really sit at my computer comfortably or watch tv, etc. I ended up doing a full-system herbal detox/cleanse and by the time it ended, I was feeling better. I still have severly delayed ejaculation ever since stopping it...woulda thought that would have gone away, could be related to low test though, not sure if effexor could have had a play in that as well.
    Effexor is horrendous with the delayed ejaculation. All the girls I know who were on it hated it for that, too. Being on that stuff drove me up a wall, I was taking it for BPII, and most of us BP's have sex drives that make rabbits blush. After I came off of it, the effects slowly died off over the course of maybe a year, if I remember correctly. In any case, it does take quite a while for your body to get back to normal after Effexor.

On the upside, it seriously enhanced the effects of smoking...stuff. Not always in a good way, though.
  20. On my grind
    Stats
    5'8"  182 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.79%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

This is a nice thread that im finding VERY useful as i have NO idea about this stuff. How do you guys feel about zoloft? Im just unsure what the psych may prescribe which is why im trying to get ideas here. Wellbutrin so far sounds like its what i need!
    E-Pharm Rep... PM me with any questions or concerns
  21. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56%

youll feel great but there will be side effects.
  22. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  178 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.53%

Unfortunately for me Wellbutrin did not work. My depression went unchecked for so long that I developed anxiety. Although Wellbutrin treats depression very well it also made my anxiety a lot more noticeable and may have even amplified it.

My psych at the time was a douche though, IMO he just assumed I was just another college kid with depression and he didn't work with me enough to make the correct prescription.
  23. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.37%

My late wife had a seizure from WellButrin after taking 2x150mg for 3 days. She was never the same after that.
  24. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.21%

Quote Originally Posted by MacTech View Post
    My late wife had a seizure from WellButrin after taking 2x150mg for 3 days. She was never the same after that.
    Wow. I'm sorry. That is one of the scary things about these types of meds, there's those 'extremely rare' side effects that you hope you'll never get.
  25. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.37%

Yes, seizures are just one of the side-effects.

They are real and it shows how powerful a drug WellButrin is. She developed neuropathy afterwards and the medications given to her destroyed her already damaged liver.

She was prescribed this for help in quitting smoking cigarettes. It didn't work.
  26. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.21%

Quote Originally Posted by MacTech View Post
    Yes, seizures are just one of the side-effects.

They are real and it shows how powerful a drug WellButrin is. She developed neuropathy afterwards and the medications given to her destroyed her already damaged liver.

She was prescribed this for help in quitting smoking cigarettes. It didn't work.
    I've known at least a few people who were on Welbutrin(zyban) for depression, were smokers, and still are. It really doesn't seem to help too many folks with the smoking. I've heard nothing but amazing things about chantix.

Yeah, seizures actually aren't that uncommon with a lot of the anti-depressants. I just started an atypical-antipsycotic(not as bad as it sounds, folks..) and you should see the WEIRD list of possible sides.

Have you or your wife checked out http://74.50.8.219/? It's a good site, just went active again after a layoff. The folks who run it are great and have a ton of experience. I like it mostly for the light atmosphere.
  27. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.29%

I haven't read through people's posts on this thread...but I can tell you this. I'm on welbutrin, 300mgs. There's been days I've forgotten to take it, 2 days in a row once. Absolutely NO withdrawl symptoms (for me anyhow). In fact, I could hardly tell that I missed it. It's pretty mild...but it can be stimulating and also increase your libido. Btw, siezures are a VERY RARE side effect, for people PRONE to them. I just saw someone mention something about it above. If you're worried about it, talk to your family, find out your history..then make your decision. If you do more digging, chances are you may not need any anti-depressants even.

If you're always fatigued, and feeling hazy, I would get a hormonal panel done. Check your adrenals and sex hormones. Chances are you may have issues here. Most of the time, depression/fatigue is caused via hormonal imbalance.
  28. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.29%

Quote Originally Posted by 3clipseGT View Post
    This is a nice thread that im finding VERY useful as i have NO idea about this stuff. How do you guys feel about zoloft? Im just unsure what the psych may prescribe which is why im trying to get ideas here. Wellbutrin so far sounds like its what i need!
    You can always try it (wellbutrin), you definately shouldn't notice any side effects and it's easy to stop too unlike some SSRI's.
  29. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.29%

Quote Originally Posted by bound View Post
    Wow. I'm sorry. That is one of the scary things about these types of meds, there's those 'extremely rare' side effects that you hope you'll never get.
    Definately sorry to hear this as well. Very sad. As far as I know, all of these meds can cause this with people who may be prone to them.

Definately people should look into what the real problem is that may be causing their depression/fatigue. Unless people are diagnosed with clinical depression, or unless it runs in the family, I would be wary to use these meds. After trying several though, I can definately say that wellbutrin is very very mild in comparison to the rest...but that is because it is not an SSRI.
  30. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.29%

Quote Originally Posted by rick055 View Post
    gutterpump,

Please keep us updated; I am having a similar constellation of symptoms; depression, fatigue, SAME anxiety/ADD issue to the T. I am actually starting with Prozac and was planning on adding wellbuytrin, kind of the reverse of what you're doing.

I still take adderrall but get wierded out if I take it for more than a few days, and I am also worried about the adrenal fatigue, so I only take it when necessary. I crash hard on it, too. Provigil helps a little, but is not the perfect solution, and I find myself habituating to it.

Wellbutrin sounds like a great adjunct, but I have also heard it can cause adrenal fatigue. I have really been trying to watch my coffee, etc...as that kind of "can't get out of bed" fatigue can kill you.

Starting TRT helped a lot, but I think I have recently developed an E2 problem (will know tomorrow when I vov doc) which is accounting for the recent aggravation of these symptoms.

ahh crap, I had forgotten that I had posted in this thread before.

Wellbutrin for me is ok. I was happier on effexor, but I did not like the sides, nor did I like missing a dose. It was insane. Wellbutrin is enough for me to take off the edge, but I think I may get more worked up about certain things. I take ativan at times when I get like this...which isn't tooo often. Ativan is addictive, but if taken very rarely, shouldn't be. Phenibut's proven to be good for me as well, especially to relax at night.

I'm also looking forward to starting TRT in the next few months. I am almost positive this is what has been causing my depression that I've also let go unchecked for several years. It was stupid of me to have never had a physical or hormonal bloodwork done on myself until I turned 30. I have needlessly been living with depression, etc for years and years, and have used other things to patch symptoms of low test. I think I got away with it for so long because my test is not extremely low. It's in the low normal range. I don't want to feel even borderline though...and it is definately affecting my quality of life. I've just been too stubborn to do much about it for so long, and ignored my health for too long.
  31. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  178 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.53%

ahh crap, I had forgotten that I had posted in this thread before.

Wellbutrin for me is ok. I was happier on effexor, but I did not like the sides, nor did I like missing a dose. It was insane. Wellbutrin is enough for me to take off the edge, but I think I may get more worked up about certain things. I take ativan at times when I get like this...which isn't tooo often. Ativan is addictive, but if taken very rarely, shouldn't be. Phenibut's proven to be good for me as well, especially to relax at night.

I'm also looking forward to starting TRT in the next few months. I am almost positive this is what has been causing my depression that I've also let go unchecked for several years. It was stupid of me to have never had a physical or hormonal bloodwork done on myself until I turned 30. I have needlessly been living with depression, etc for years and years, and have used other things to patch symptoms of low test. I think I got away with it for so long because my test is not extremely low. It's in the low normal range. I don't want to feel even borderline though...and it is definately affecting my quality of life. I've just been too stubborn to do much about it for so long, and ignored my health for too long.

whats sides did you experience from effexor?
  32. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.29%

While on effexor: majorly delayed ejaculation. Half of the time it was impossible to.

While missing a dose: major withdrawl symptoms, jolts (hard to describe - like an electrical feeling, like a 'firing' pulse) and 'brain zaps' that were also similar to the electrical pulse. Extreme dizziness and sense of displacement, basically unable to function when missing a dose. This also lasted when I got off the med, even though I tapered down. I had to do an herbal detox and stay in for 2 weeks, except for work (which is a desk job).
  33. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.21%

Quote Originally Posted by MoTiV View Post
    whats sides did you experience from effexor?
    I was on Effexor for almost two years.

Turns you into an emotional zombie. Weird, displaced feeling, a lot of the time. General lack of caring in general(not the good kind.) Damned hard to ejaculate, your unit will give up before you do. Makes you REALLY sensitive to any other drugs, OTC and otherwise(it is a psychotropic, it'll enhance anything else you take to an uncomfortable level). Coming off the stuff is living hell, even when tapering down. They've actually started prescribing anti-depressants to people tapering off the stuff, that's how bad it is.

Now, it is the end all, be all of last resort anti-depressant/anxiety meds, and can be a life-saver, litterally. Everyone I've met that's been on it, hated it. No one that I know that's taken it will ever take it again.

Oh, I was on 450mg for most of the time I was on it.
  34. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.37%

Have you or your wife checked out http://74.50.8.219/?
    Unfortunately she passed away several years ago.

She never had any seizures prior to taking WB or any medical conditions other than being a smoker with an abnormal PAP test which prompted prescribing the WB.

Fortunately I don't smoke cigs or need prescription anti-depressants.

Effexor is nasty with sides for many. I dated someone that was taking it and I can remember the zaps she experienced trying to come off it.
  35. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.29%

Everyone I've met that's been on it, hated it. No one that I know that's taken it will ever take it again.
    I was on 150mg and felt amazing on it. To be honest I never wanted to stop taking it. At the time, the sexual sides were worth it, I felt like a machine in all other aspects of my life. I never felt like an emotional zombie, never had solemnence that people report on anti-depressants, and I became more active than ever, to the point where I took on too much in my life....which led to something pretty bad..

I started hating it when I had my first and last panic attack ever, and read that effexor can cause major panic attacks. That, and the sexual sides made me want to finally stop it and try to deal with depression in other ways. That's when I started to hate it, when coming off of it. Before that I must say, I completely loved the drug but felt I should have also had some councilling to go with it and not have used it as a crutch for so long. Since then I've also discovered that my depression/anxiety was almost more than likely linked to low testosterone levels.
  36. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.21%

I was on 150mg and felt amazing on it. To be honest I never wanted to stop taking it. At the time, the sexual sides were worth it, I felt like a machine in all other aspects of my life. I never felt like an emotional zombie, never had solemnence that people report on anti-depressants, and I became more active than ever, to the point where I took on too much in my life....which led to something pretty bad..

I started hating it when I had my first and last panic attack ever, and read that effexor can cause major panic attacks. That, and the sexual sides made me want to finally stop it and try to deal with depression in other ways. That's when I started to hate it, when coming off of it. Before that I must say, I completely loved the drug but felt I should have also had some councilling to go with it and not have used it as a crutch for so long. Since then I've also discovered that my depression/anxiety was almost more than likely linked to low testosterone levels.
    Dude, that's awesome that it worked well for you, and you didn't get all the weirdness. Glad to hear that it isn't always bad, and that you got your **** straightened out. The med-go-round can go on forever sometimes.
  37. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.29%

Dude, that's awesome that it worked well for you, and you didn't get all the weirdness. Glad to hear that it isn't always bad, and that you got your **** straightened out. The med-go-round can go on forever sometimes.

Well hopefully I can get it straightened out. Still on wellbutrin and occasional atavan, and phenibut as well. I'm hoping TRT will deal with some of the problems
  38. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.17%

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Higher dose EPA/DHA around a total of 6 grams per day taken with meals in 2 divided dosages.

Shown to be as effective for depression/anxiety as SSRI's and the like.

Read this article on Wellbutrin and you'll see it can be quite useful.

http://mindandmuscle.net/articles/an...vick/bupropion
    Pure EPA without DHA is clinically effective at 1-2 grams daily.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Starting epistane soon and not sure about my PCT
    By Afrochowder in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-27-2009, 09:57 PM
  2. Not Sure About Tamoxifen Citrate Concentration...
    By dsw222 in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-24-2008, 04:50 PM
  3. Stem lite (Not sure how to spell it) shine the light on me
    By TexasLifter89 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-27-2008, 10:52 PM
  4. Do you only take it because its legal/or not
    By brittishbulldog in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 10-01-2007, 02:52 PM