Seroquel? - AnabolicMinds.com

Seroquel?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Board Supporter

Seroquel?

Anyone have any personal experience and or knowledge of this medication?

I had never heard of it prior to my being prescribed it today and the list of sides on webMd has me leary to say the least.

Any input of any kind, including supplement interactions and possible alternatives would be greatly appreciated.

2. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  250 lbs.

If there is anyway at all to avoid using this drug I would advise you to do so. I was on that, along with an anti depresent for about a year. I was given it to help me stay asleep at night. When that stuff would kick in I felt like crap. Dizzy and very short of breath. If you do end up taking it, go right to bed after taking it. If you don't mind me asking, what are you being perscribed this for?
  3. Board Supporter

Thanks for the reply

I've been prescribed it for sleeplessness/mania(bp). And yeah I won't be taking this **** unless absolutely neccessary. I took one friday night and it knocked my ass out. 15 hours straight sleep.
    •   

4. New Member

I have and 100mg is plenty.
  5. Advanced Member

I was given a 200mg tablet to help me sleep a couple of months ago and it completely floored me. What really sucked was when I woke up(10hrs later) I was still slurring my speech and completely off balance. I will never take this stuff again.
  6. New Member

I've been on it a few weeks now and all I want to do is sleep and eat. I was trying to taper up on the dose but I am throwing in the towel on this drug. I was better off without it.
  7. New Member

My wife is on Seroquel and it has really helped her....
  8. New Member

My gf takes 25mg for sleep (I take them sometimes too) and I think they are great. I don't know about higher doses, but take one 25mg at about 10pm and when I wake up at 6:30 I'm totally rested and not groggy.
  9. Registered User

This is not a sleeping pill! It is a pychotropic used to treat bipolar and schizophrenia.
  10. New Member

It is often prescribed in low doses, off label, as an non adictive sleep aid.

check out:

forbes.com/sciencesandmedicine/2004/09/08/cx_mh_0908seroquel.html
  11. New Member

For BP and schizophrenia doses are usually in the 200-800 mg 1-2x ED.
  12. Registered User

"By using Seroquel, insomnia may be relieved, but it is important to be aware of the potential adverse side effects of taking this medication. Seroquel has been proven to cause Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome (NMS), Tartive Dyskenesia, Hyperglycemia, and Type 2 Diabetes in some users. These are all potentially fatal, irreversible and difficult to treat. Seroquel is heavily processed in the liver, and may have adverse effects on hepatatic functioning."
  13. New Member

I took it for years for "supposed" bipolar. I quite so it wouldn't interact with others. Now, I experience narcolepsy. Therefore, don't take this is you don't need to.
  14. New Member

I was prescribed 25mg for sleep. Works great, wake up refreshed and rested. No noticable sides.
  15. Senior Member
    Stats
    4'6"   lbs.

Medications of this sort are only half of the cure. A person being prescribed these needs to see a therapist also. Anyone taking these meds should be seeing a Psychiatrist or Psychologist regularly!
  16. Registered User

If you havent already tried it, I would go with Trazadone 25mg to 75mg a night first. It's easy to find the right dose.

Stacked with USP's new REM sleep product, and you should be able to get some nice rest.

With Trazadone, it actually improves sleep architecture.

With USP's, they are saying it does - but I'm going on faith so far - havent seen the studies. My anecdoetal experience says it's true - i'm better rested and feel more refreshed.

If you're currently using an antidepressant, and still having sleep probs, you may consider Remeron/mirtzapirine. I found 30mg night, worked nicely w/ SR Wellbutrin 250mg. The Wellbutrin helped keep me awake during the day.

However, I'm off the drugs after a few years thru chronic pain management, and definitely like being without the Remeron/Wellbutrin if you dont need it!

Hope that helps
  17. Registered User

I would steer Well clear of this if you can help it. Being a severe insomniac, I can tell you it will floor you, but the health risks were too much for me to deal with.

Jason
  18. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Ask the doc about Ambien if you're having insomnia issues and aren't troubled with BP or any other psychotic type behavior
  19. Registered User

I used Ambien for over a year straight. It worked very well, but the binging at night was a mother! I thinkk my PR for calorie intake at 1 night was over 12,000!!!

Jason
  20. New Member

Has fewer side effects than most other antipsychotics (including new-generation/atypical). Doses above 200mg are best saved for schizophrenic patients. For mania, look into lamotrogine. For sleeplessness, something that is indicated for insomnia. If your problem is falling asleep, Sonata may be right. If staying asleep is your prob, then ambien or lunesta (try to get some of those lovely free samples). Agomelatine is a new one that I am interested in.

Still, for many bp folks, a 200mg dose is helpful for both of the problems you described. Watch for td and other movement problems. Though more rare with new antipsychotics, such symptoms persist even after the drug has been discontinued.

Is there anything else (psychoactive) that you are taking?

Have you tried behavioral techniques (don't eat/ drink before bed, avoid caffeine, use bed only when sleeping, turn lights down low towards the evening, dont watch tv right before bed). Getting very little sleep can trigger mania. While hypomania is a very pleasurable experience, it leads to full blown mania, which is destructive and disrupting.
  21. NutraPlanet Fanatic

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I took Seroquel for the first time last night. I took 25mgs at 10pm. I woke up around 5pm today.

I missed a LOT of the tasks I was supposed to get done today...never again.
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    BPS - Where Body meets Performance
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless
  22. Registered User

Dsade, you should've read this thread prior to I tried to say that this stuff is badddddddddd for you!

Jason
  23. NutraPlanet Fanatic

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Advise me, Oh Jason of the Wise Ways...I prostrate myself to your experience and vast drugginess.
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    BPS - Where Body meets Performance
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless
  24. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dsade
    Advise me, Oh Jason of the Wise Ways...I prostrate myself to your experience and vast drugginess.
    Youll have to email me

Jason
  25. Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dsade View Post
    I took Seroquel for the first time last night. I took 25mgs at 10pm. I woke up around 5pm today.

I missed a LOT of the tasks I was supposed to get done today...never again.
    Yeah the antihistamine effects hit some people pretty hard. I've tried 50-600 mg as needed without any problems. This is not something to take daily.
  26. Banned

i have been geting emails about a law suit if you have ever taken seeroquel you can get money things just going to let you guys know maybe b.s. i don't know
  27. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.

I take 400 mg a day for bi polar. No problems as of yet.
  28. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by mad078 View Post
    I take 400 mg a day for bi polar. No problems as of yet.
    Wow that's pretty steep dose. I would be ****ed up as hell at that dose. The effects are very similar to Benzos. I'd be walkin round like a drunk mother****er at 400mg. I take it when I got it for sleep. At 1st 25-50mg will knock me out, I end up going up to 100-200mg after a while. I like it alot more than Benzos, similar effect but not bad withdrawals.
  29. Banned

Quote Originally Posted by benjiman View Post
    i have been geting emails about a law suit if you have ever taken seeroquel you can get money things just going to let you guys know maybe b.s. i don't know
    Well if you don't bother to read the side effects before taking it then there you go.
  30. Banned
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.

made me eat and get fattish.
  31. New Member

Seroquel

I am Bi-Polar with borderline schitzofrania. I take seroquel 100mg with BREAKFAST. 100MG around 2PM and 400MG at bed with a sleeping pill. If you really are Bi-Polar with real MANIA this is a wonder drug that would make me feel close to "normal" without it I would be in jail, instatution or most likely DEAD.

I have my bad days but i normally function pretty good with this drug. If your not very ill like me this drug will make you feel like you got hit by a truck.

Also the dose is raised gradually. I started at 50mg at bed in a psych. hospital. Over a ten day period I was raised to 200mg at bed and 25mg at breakfast and noon.

I gradually over several years moved up to the dose I am at now plus I take several other mood stabalizers.

So to the original poster, if you are bi-polar.....Mania can destroy your life. Listen to your doctor, see a therapyst and do not take advice from "normal People" that are experimenting with this drug for sleep.

Please excuse my spelling.
  32. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Synicus View Post
    Wow that's pretty steep dose. I would be ****ed up as hell at that dose. The effects are very similar to Benzos. I'd be walkin round like a drunk mother****er at 400mg. I take it when I got it for sleep. At 1st 25-50mg will knock me out, I end up going up to 100-200mg after a while. I like it alot more than Benzos, similar effect but not bad withdrawals.
    I would stay away from this drug.Someone posted that it's not addictive.Bull****.It's very addictive.I know someone that was taking 700mg for bipolar and ran out of the med and got very sick.So yes you can get physically addicted to this drug.There's also bad side effects.Weight gain,violent mood swings......do I have to go on?
  33. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  210 lbs.

do not take trazedone.. i was using this medication for sleep for no longer then a week.. i was waking up 5 times a night with the hardest erections ever.. they actually hurt.. they would not go away.. this was unusual for me.. i looked up some common side effects and priotism(erection lasting longer then 4 hours) is one of the most common.. on something like 18% of people who expierence this need surgery to correct this problems.. i consider myself very lucky that i didnt need surgery to correct this and luckily everything has returned back to normal.. i loved this medicine it worked better then any other sleep medicaiton i have tried.. although the risks are just not worth it.. seroquel is a drug that works wonders for some people.. it is sometimes presrcibed to people who are going throuhg opiate withdrawls to help them sleep.. the first time i took seroquel i thought i was legitimately going to die.. i took 200mg and wasnt sure that if i went to sleep i would ever wake up.. i slept like a baby that nioght once i finally passed out
  34. glg

Being a major insomniac (can't fall asleep & can't stay asleep), having RLS and apnea I have tried most of the different scripts out there. Both the primary sleep meds as well as things like Seroquel that are used but not primarily for sleep. i didn't get anything out of it. I honestly don't remember the starting dosage (below theraputic for the schizo etc) and we doubled the dosage and still no response. I am a major non-responder though on just about everything we have tried or it stops working after a few weeks/months.

That being said i also didn't have any side effects on it either.
  35. New Member

Disturbed

Disturbed you are saying that you know someone that had problems with this drug. I too have heard the horror stories. But, as you know everybodys chemistry is different. This is a wonder drug for me that helps drastically with my mood swings. Weight gain is a good thing for me so its not a side effect.

The reason people gain weight is because it effects your blood sugar levels and sadly can cause diabetes.
  36. New Member

I take 400mg of seroquel for major depression w/ psychotic features and this drug has been a godsend for me. But everyones different.
  37. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  205 lbs.

i was given 200 mg 4x a day for a week, worst week of my life. Was given to me as an anti-psychotic...awful ****, basically rather than teaching you to cope w/ anger and violence it's their way of shutting you down so your a zombie sleeping at random times...i wouldnt ever go above 100mg for any reason
  38. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  205 lbs.

i liked the calming effects but i just couldnt beat the drowsiness, my face was actually droopy all the time like i was shot w/ a tranq
  39. ktw
    Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Disturbed View Post
    I would stay away from this drug.Someone posted that it's not addictive.Bull****.It's very addictive.I know someone that was taking 700mg for bipolar and ran out of the med and got very sick.So yes you can get physically addicted to this drug.There's also bad side effects.Weight gain,violent mood swings......do I have to go on?
    They got sick because they did not titrate the drug. This is their problem, not the drug's. 700mg is next to the highest dosages prescribed and like any other anti psychotic, you can't just quit cold turkey. Doctors usually have patients come down 100mg at a time over several months. It is not designed to take at high dosages whenever. When patients are first prescribed Seroquel they start at 25mg then go 50, 100, 200, etc. This is why people have problems with the drug. It is very powerful and people often take it in the wrong manner. I know a few people who have used the drug with great success and none of them have had any of the adverse side effects. The diabetes thing is why the drug is usually prescribed for less than a year.
  40. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  175 lbs.

it gave a friend of mine permanent 'tweaker shakes' -- tardive dyskinesia is NOT fun. Once I had one on accident and I woke up 20 hours later. I was unable to think straight (juggle variables for mental math) or feel right (strange anxiety replaced all other emotions) for days. N.B.: I do not have a medical condition that requires this substance nor would I ever choose to ingest it. I am a chronic insomniac but no medication has ever proven to help me in the long run. Sleeping pills tend to have a powerful rebound effect on my biological clock.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Seroquel and strength gains??
    By KTRAIN in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-03-2011, 01:54 PM
  2. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-07-2009, 04:51 AM