1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.9%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Chelation Therapy

Do you guys know much about this ? From what I've heard, this is supposed to remove metals and toxins from the body claiming that it will reduce the risk of heart disease. Thanks for your answers.

2. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.71%

Yeah, it's suppose to really work. I'd like to do it myself, but about 10 or 20 hospital visits would be required. EDTA is given by a slow, 30 minute IV drip for all these sessions spaced out once or twice a week. EDTA, the sodium, disosium and calcium salts could be absorbed orally @ about 10-20%, but when I tried it on an empty stomach, they all gave me bad stomach cramps. Too bad, but acetic acid and citric acid are fair chelators too. Especially for dissolveing kidney stones. I don't do it, but some swear by drinking dilute vinegar everyday.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.9%

Thanks for the info, I just wish it didn't take so many vists. The cost is a little high too when you compare it with supplements.
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.71%

No prob Iron. It's really unique it it's ability to decalcify plaque. I wish it was cheaper and easier too.
  5. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.34%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by DR.D
    some swear by drinking dilute vinegar everyday.
    I have considered drinking small amounts apple cider vinegar daily. Claims of its abilities are quite broad.
  6. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.71%

Quote Originally Posted by size
    I have considered drinking small amounts apple cider vinegar daily. Claims of its abilities are quite broad.
    Yeah, me too. I read one time that the military uses it in applications were heat extremes are encountered, because acetic acid acts as a biological refrigerant. I guess thats why you see guys repopularizing pickle juice for time to time. Not to mention it's a super solvent for just about everything. Also, it forms bicarbonate in the kidneys, so it's a great buffer to avoid soreness from w/o and keep your stims(like ephedrine or yohimbine) recirculating back out into the bloodstream because alkaline kidneys won't excrete them. Not to mention the cadriovascular implications of it's chelating potential.

Size, you talked me into it. I think I may experiment with this finally.
  7. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.34%

Size, you talked me into it. I think I may experiment with this finally.
    I purchased a bottle today and now I am trying to determine the best dosage levels.
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.52%

Here's a link to a web page that pretty much blows chelation therapy away. Double-blind clinical trials where neither the researcher nor the subject knew who was getting a placebo and who was getting the real EDTA. No difference in results... Don't waste your hard-earned $ on it.

http://www.quackwatch.org/01Quackery...chelation.html
  9. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.34%

Acetic acid feeding enhances glycogen repletion in liver and skeletal muscle of rats.

Fushimi T, Tayama K, Fukaya M, Kitakoshi K, Nakai N, Tsukamoto Y, Sato Y.

Central Research Institute, Mitsukan Group Company Limited, Handa 475-8585, Japan.
    To investigate the efficacy of the ingestion of vinegar in aiding recovery from fatigue, we examined the effect of dietary acetic acid, the main component of vinegar, on glycogen repletion in rats. Rats were allowed access to a commercial diet twice daily for 6 d. After 15 h of food deprivation, they were either killed immediately or given 2 g of a diet containing 0 (control), 0.1, 0.2 or 0.4 g acetic acid/100 g diet for 2 h. The 0.2 g acetic acid group had significantly greater liver and gastrocnemius muscle glycogen concentration than the control group (P < 0.05). The concentrations of citrate in this group in both the liver and skeletal muscles were >1.3-fold greater than in the control group (P > 0.1). In liver, the concentration of xylulose-5-phosphate in the control group was significantly higher than in the 0.2 and 0.4 g acetic acid groups (P < 0.01). In gastrocnemius muscle, the concentration of glucose-6-phosphate in the control group was significantly lower and the ratio of ructose-1,6-bisphosphate/fructose-6-phosphate was significantly higher than in the 0.2 g acetic acid group (P < 0.05). This ratio in the soleus muscle of the acetic acid fed groups was <0.8-fold that of the control group (P > 0.1). In liver, acetic acid may activate gluconeogenesis and inactivate glycolysis through inactivation of fructose-2,6-bisphosphate synthesis due to suppression of xylulose-5-phosphate accumulation. In skeletal muscle, acetic acid may inhibit glycolysis by suppression of phosphofructokinase-1 activity. We conclude that a diet containing acetic acid may enhance glycogen repletion in liver and skeletal muscle.

Effect of acetate on glycogen replenishment in liver and skeletal muscles after exhaustive swimming in rats.

Nakao C, Yamada E, Fukaya M, Tayama K, Tsukamoto Y, Sato Y.

Department of Sports Medicine, Graduate School of Medicine, Nagoya University, Japan.

Immediately after exhaustive swimming, rats were given one of the following orally: distilled water (W), glucose (G); acetic acid (A); citric acid ©; glucose and acetic acid (GA); and glucose and citric acid (GC), and they were killed 2 h after ingestion (each trial: n=4). Exhaustive exercise resulted in a significant reduction of the glycogen store in the gastrocnemius muscle. The glycogen stores in the liver were significantly higher following ingestion in groups GA and GC, in the gastrocnemius in groups G, GA and GC, and in the soleus in group GC, than immediately post exercise. These results suggest that oral acetic acid with glucose can facilitate liver glycogen restoration during the early period of recovery, and that acetate has about the same physiological effects as citrate on glycogen replenishment.

Just thought these were interesting.
  10. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.71%

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoSpud
    Here's a link to a web page that pretty much blows chelation therapy away. Double-blind clinical trials where neither the researcher nor the subject knew who was getting a placebo and who was getting the real EDTA. No difference in results... Don't waste your hard-earned $ on it.

http://www.quackwatch.org/01Quackery...chelation.html
    Intresting article. I'll def. look into it more closely first if I ever got serious about wanting to do it. But for certain kidney prob's and HM toxicity, I think it still has value in acute poisoning.
  11. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.52%

Intresting article. I'll def. look into it more closely first if I ever got serious about wanting to do it. But for certain kidney prob's and HM toxicity, I think it still has value in acute poisoning.
    I would agree with you regarding HM, but *not* for treating everything that they pitch chelation for.
  12. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.71%

Quote Originally Posted by size
    Acetic acid feeding enhances glycogen repletion in liver and skeletal muscle of rats
    This is good info, I had no idea that it had this application. AA sounds like a good, cheap, all-around beneficial sup. I have to smell it all day, so it's going to be tough ingesting it intentionally.
  13. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.34%

I started on the vinegar today. I am taking 1tbs in the am and pm
  14. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.94%

Vinegar is good, but vinegar is not chelation.

What is the cost of Chelation? Let's get some numbers listed.

Similar Forum Threads

1. test therapy for women
    By Sanosuke in forum General Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-18-2006, 10:27 AM
  2. scrotal patch therapy........ WTF!!!!!!!!
    By good_guye28 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-01-2004, 05:25 PM
  3. PaCT (Post-androgen Cycle Therapy)
    By drei in forum Supplements
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-27-2004, 06:29 PM
  4. post work out therapy and prohormone ?
    By rbbm81 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-23-2003, 10:54 PM
  5. physical therapy= rough cardio
    By Zack in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-27-2003, 03:07 PM