Truth behind Primatene and Bronkaid

1. Registered User

Truth behind Primatene and Bronkaid

Bronkaid contains 63.24% of pure ephedrine and 36.76% sulfate ions.
    Primatene contains 81.92% of pure ephedrine and 18.08% hydrogen chloride ions.
    Hey everybody,

If you don't feel like reading this post, all the information is at the top in quotes.

Bronkaid and Primatene are ephedrine-containing products that are most often used is conjunction with caffeine to create the "EC Stack" for weight loss but are not supposed to be used for this purpose. This is also not the purpose of this topic.

There is always people saying "Oh primatene is stronger than bronkaid" or "Bronkaid is really 1/3 as strong as Primatene" without any real basis.

Each Bronkaid pill has 25mg of ephedrine sulfate, but in reality only a little under 16mg of that is pure ephedrine. Each Primatene pill contains 12.5mg of ephedrine HCl (which means you need 2 pills to reach the "25mg" standard) but in reality this pill is only a little over 10mg of pure ephedrine.

So 1 dose of Bronkaid (25mg) is equal to ~16mg of pure ephedrine. 1 dose (two pills) of Primatene is equal to 20mg of pure ephedrine. This means with Bronkaid you are actually losing out on 4mg, which is a 20% decrease from Primatene.

These are empirical facts that are based on simple calculations that anyone who took high school chemistry can do.

If anyone would like to read how I came up with this information I can PM them the pastebin link... because I can't post links yet!

If anyone has any questions, comments or concerns feel free to post them!

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'5"  220 lbs.

Cool. Thanks for posting that.
    Genomyx Rep
    www.genomyx.com
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  198 lbs.

Very Nice. You should post this over on the giant ECA thread.
    •   

4. Registered User

Wow I had no idea of that. Thanks. I wonder if switching to prim instead of bronkaid would make a difference in regards to the limit per month of ephedrine allowed to purchase by law.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  229 lbs.

Tried EC stack a few times. Switched to Clen. Only take it once a day, and I don't feel stimmed out of my mind. Mild shakiness I can deal with.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.

Awesome comparison, thanks.
    Androhard + Andromass Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/182038-so-i-decided.html
  7. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkHalf View Post
    Very Nice. You should post this over on the giant ECA thread.
    This is in there.. somewhere in that huge ass thread.. but it is in there!
    The Historic PES Legend
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  198 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by DAdams91982 View Post
    This is in there.. somewhere in that huge ass thread.. but it is in there!
    lol. I wasn't about to dig through it at this point
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.

Mucinex tabs have 50mg of ephedrine in 12 hour time released tabs
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  197 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by grngoloco View Post
    Mucinex tabs have 50mg of ephedrine in 12 hour time released tabs
    Ha, incorrect.
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by owlicks

Ha, incorrect.
    Sorry meant the mucinex nasal decongestant 12 hour extended relief,,, and I was wrong,, it has 60 mg pseudoephedrine
    http://www.drugs.com/pro/mucinex-d.html
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.

I have a question,,, does pseudoephedrine work the same as ephedrine hcl? ?
    I just realized after my last post the mucinex has pseudoephedrine..... not ephedrine hcl....
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  183 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by 123rock View Post
    Hey everybody,

If you don't feel like reading this post, all the information is at the top in quotes.

Bronkaid and Primatene are ephedrine-containing products that are most often used is conjunction with caffeine to create the "EC Stack" for weight loss but are not supposed to be used for this purpose. This is also not the purpose of this topic.

There is always people saying "Oh primatene is stronger than bronkaid" or "Bronkaid is really 1/3 as strong as Primatene" without any real basis.

Each Bronkaid pill has 25mg of ephedrine sulfate, but in reality only a little under 16mg of that is pure ephedrine. Each Primatene pill contains 12.5mg of ephedrine HCl (which means you need 2 pills to reach the "25mg" standard) but in reality this pill is only a little over 10mg of pure ephedrine.

So 1 dose of Bronkaid (25mg) is equal to ~16mg of pure ephedrine. 1 dose (two pills) of Primatene is equal to 20mg of pure ephedrine. This means with Bronkaid you are actually losing out on 4mg, which is a 20% decrease from Primatene.

These are empirical facts that are based on simple calculations that anyone who took high school chemistry can do.

If anyone would like to read how I came up with this information I can PM them the pastebin link... because I can't post links yet!

Think you may be a little off on your math, I just did it myself:
    Free Base Ephedrine MW= 165.23

Ephedrine Sulfate: MW=428.54* remember that there are 2 "Ephedrine" (I forget actual scientific name for it's structure) molecules per sulfate ion (since sulfate has a 2- charge)
    -Therefore free base ephedrine is around 77%

Ephedrine HCl: MW= 201.69* 1:1 ratio of ephedrine to hcl
    -therefore free base ephedrine is around 81.9%

25mg of Ephedrine Sulfate (Bronkaid) has around 19.3 grams of ephedrine
    25mg of Ephedrine HCl (Primatene) has around 20.5 grams of ephedrine

Considering Primatene tablets only have 12.5g of ephedrine hcl, it takes 2 pills of Primatene to basically equal one pill of bronkaid*

THEREFORE, as far as quality, they both work equally as well for you asthma needs.

However, as far as costs are concerned, 24 Bronkaid pills (around $5) has 483mg of Ephedrine free base
    -60 Primatene pills (around 10$) has around 615mg Ephedrine free base

For me, I'll definitely stick with Bronkaid because I like saving some money!
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.

All the time release tablets have pseudoephedrine up to 120mg time released for 12 hours ..... if pseudoephedrine is even close to being equivelant to ephedrine hcl, then that would definitely be the cheapest. Also, I'd really like the 12 hour release over a quick rush..... can someone please chime in on the efficacy of pseudoephedrine compared to ephedrine hcl.
  15. Registered User

There's no difference in effectiveness in the two. However primatene is more expensive and you have to take twice as many pills
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by ssbackwards
    There's no difference in effectiveness in the two. However primatene is more expensive and you have to take twice as many pills
    I've read that pseudoephedrine isn't as effective for weight loss but is as effective for asthma.... anyone have expriential opinions on this?
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.

having taken in for alergies with caffine - I can say i dont think p-ephedra works that well for fat loss.

and alot of times - not all that good for alergies lol.
  18. ax1
    Stats
    4'6"  170 lbs.
    북한 Democratic People's Republic of North Korea

Quote Originally Posted by 123rock View Post
    Hey everybody,

Where do you get those #s from?
    나는 2000년 10월 매들린 올브라이트 전 미 국무장관 매들린 사랑, 그 중 한 뜨거운 젠장!
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  165 lbs.

CVS, Kroger, Walmart.
  20. ax1
    Stats
    4'6"  170 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by cainb96 View Post
    CVS, Kroger, Walmart.
    Are you saying the #'s come from those companies? Are you just posting something else?

This is in regards to these #'s
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  183 lbs.

Haha this original post had his numbers wrong, refer to my earlier post, but those numbers come from basic chemistry and using molecular weights to find out percent of each is in the molecule
  22. ax1
    Stats
    4'6"  170 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by pnut143 View Post
    Haha this original post had his numbers wrong, refer to my earlier post, but those numbers come from basic chemistry and using molecular weights to find out percent of each is in the molecule
    Your post is exactly what I thought the amounts are...Im just wondering where those "other" numbers came from.
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  183 lbs.

Gotcha, well for example with the Bronkaid (Ephedrine HCl) the molecular weight of ephedrine HCl is 201.69g. It is also important to note that the ratio of ephedrine molecules to HCl molecules is 1:1. 36.45g of that 201.69g is from the HCl, while the remaining 165.23g is from the ephedrine (free base = no additional molecules attached). Therefore, 165.23/201.69= .819 (81.9%).

If each bronkaid tablet is 25mg, 25mg multiplied by .819 = 19.3g ephedrine per bronkaid tablet.

And all numbers for molecular weights were just gotten from periodic table of elements.
  24. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ax1 View Post
    This is in regards to these #'s
    These numbers are from somebody who calculated incorrectly (maybe the OP?). They assumed ephedrine sulfate is 1 ephedrine molecule bound to one sulfate anion, however, there are actually two ephedrine cations and one sulfate anion (because sulfate has a -2 charge).

Calculated correctly, Bronkaid contains 77.1% ephedrine base and 22.9% sulfate ions.

So when you take 25mg of ephedrine sulfate, you get 19.28mg of actual ephedrine base. And when you take 25mg of ephedrine HCL, you get 20.48mg of actual ephedrine base. Overall, the HCl form is only 6% stronger than the sulfate form.

Bronkaid comes in tablets of 25mg sulfate and Primatene comes in tablets of 12.5mg HCl. They're usually around the same price for the same number of capsules, though, so Bronkaid is clearly the better bargain. You're getting twice as much at 95% the potency for around the same price.
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  183 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Conciliator View Post
    These numbers are from somebody who calculated incorrectly (maybe the OP?). They assumed ephedrine sulfate is 1 ephedrine molecule bound to one sulfate anion, however, there are actually two ephedrine cations and one sulfate anion (because sulfate has a -2 charge).

Calculated correctly, Bronkaid contains 77.1% ephedrine base and 22.9% sulfate ions.

So when you take 25mg of ephedrine sulfate, you get 19.28mg of actual ephedrine base. And when you take 25mg of ephedrine HCL, you get 20.48mg of actual ephedrine base. Overall, the HCl form is only 6% stronger than the sulfate form.

Bronkaid comes in tablets of 25mg sulfate and Primatene comes in tablets of 12.5mg HCl. They're usually around the same price for the same number of capsules, though, so Bronkaid is clearly the better bargain. You're getting twice as much at 95% the potency for around the same price.
    -Haha yah I had to correct op from first page, posted this on page 1, Im glad my math is the same

"OP, I think you may be a little off on your math, I just did it myself:
    Free Base Ephedrine MW= 165.23

Ephedrine Sulfate: MW=428.54* remember that there are 2 "Ephedrine" (I forget actual scientific name for it's structure) molecules per sulfate ion (since sulfate has a 2- charge)
    -Therefore free base ephedrine is around 77%

Ephedrine HCl: MW= 201.69* 1:1 ratio of ephedrine to hcl
    -therefore free base ephedrine is around 81.9%

25mg of Ephedrine Sulfate (Bronkaid) has around 19.3 grams of ephedrine
    25mg of Ephedrine HCl (Primatene) has around 20.5 grams of ephedrine

Considering Primatene tablets only have 12.5g of ephedrine hcl, it takes 2 pills of Primatene to basically equal one pill of bronkaid*

THEREFORE, as far as quality, they both work equally as well for you asthma needs.

However, as far as costs are concerned, 24 Bronkaid pills (around $5) has 483mg of Ephedrine free base
    -60 Primatene pills (around 10$) has around 615mg Ephedrine free base

For me, I'll definitely stick with Bronkaid because I like saving some money!"
  26. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  258 lbs.

I'd like to bump this thread. Good info here...

Very interesting!

So which of the two would you guys get?
  27. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  165 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by sina View Post
    I'd like to bump this thread. Good info here...

Very interesting!

So which of the two would you guys get?
    Brokaid hits fast!
  28. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.

haven't been able to find either here in Michigan for quite some time.
  29. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  165 lbs.

I'm in michigan and have always found it at Walmart. if you want the primatene go to CVS.
    I'm in Oakland county.
  30. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by cainb96 View Post
    I'm in michigan and have always found it at Walmart. if you want the primatene go to CVS.
    I'm in Oakland county.
    Bronkaid? I've tried walmart, cvs, rite aid and walgreens for Bronkaid in Oak. County and haven't been able to find them
  31. ax1
    Stats
    4'6"  170 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by bla55 View Post
    Bronkaid? I've tried walmart, cvs, rite aid and walgreens for Bronkaid in Oak. County and haven't been able to find them
    There was a recall for Bronkaid.
  32. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.

So I have to go after primatene right now? Good to know, thought it was all around ephedra
  33. ax1
    Stats
    4'6"  170 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by bla55 View Post
    So I have to go after primatene right now? Good to know, thought it was all around ephedra
    You can use primatene...its only 1/2 a serving vs. Bronkaid so it will run you more money.

Ask for generic behind the counter.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 956
    Last Post: 03-07-2012, 10:05 PM
  2. Help With Bronkaid please!!!
    By Miami335i in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-06-2010, 10:15 AM
  3. primatene
    By xalmasin88 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-23-2009, 02:19 AM