SSRI's and 5-HTP - AnabolicMinds.com

SSRI's and 5-HTP

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.

SSRI's and 5-HTP

Anybody know or have experience with taking these 2 at the same time with regards to positive or negative effects?

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  240 lbs.

I read that it can overload seritonin receptors with seritonin, but I've read a lot of stuff on the net. No experience.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.

I'm one to experiment, but this is not one you want to mess around with. It can easily cause serotonin syndrome, which can kill you. Happened to me once and I'm basically traumatized to this day from it and a lot more cautious. Blood pressure through the roof, pulse of 160+, running around the house in a panic about to call 911 thinking I was going to die. Not worth it. My .02
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.

What about GABA? Is this a bad combo too then?
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.

No, not at all in my experience. If you are going to use GABA, I'd get some Phenibut though, since it crosses the BBB very easily. Start at a low dose and find the right amount for you. My doctor actually told me that GABA and/or Phenibut have a synegistic effect with SSRI/SNRI's. I love Phenibut. Will prob use it until it's banned. Tolerance builds fast though.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.

Thanks. Much appreciated. I actually took 750mg of GABA about an hour ago and didn't notice anything. No tiredness or decrease in anxiety. Will try 1500 mg tomorrow.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.

No problem. I used to use GABA at night before I tried phenibut. It takes at least 3-4g of pure GABA to have an effect in most people. You'll know when you have the right dose because you'll get some flushing and your heart will speed up about 5-10 minutes after the dose. This passes very quickly. GABA powder doesn't cross the BBB very well (hardly at all). You have to use that amount (3-4g) to get just a little bit of it through. Phenibut is altered GABA that freely passes through the BBB. Some call it neuro-active GABA and you only need a little. I've found NP and Primaforce's bulk powder to be the best and the only ones I trust. Give it a shot. You won't regret it. It's produces flat out euphoria in a little bit higher doses and any type of anxiety dissapears. I have panic disorder and it fully puts that to the curb. I'm prescribed 4mg a day of Klonopin and feel like I don't even need it on phenibut.
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  184 lbs.

i wouldnt mess with gaba. its a inhibitory neurotransmitter.
  9. New Member

Drug ineractions

Quote Originally Posted by andro69 View Post
    Anybody know or have experience with taking these 2 at the same time with regards to positive or negative effects?

SSRI's work by blocking the re-uptake of serotonin by neurotransmiters in the brain increasing active levels of flowing serotonin. Truth be told, we do not truly understand the effects of SSRI's to a great degree. We know that they can induce psychosis and worsen depression in some cases. 5-HTP is an amino acid precursor to serotonin and is converted in the body relatively quickly. a 5-HTP and serotonin stack would effectively increase active levels of serotonin and destroy the bodies mechanism of serotonin re-uptake. This can lead to serious complication such as Serotonin Syndrome.
    While serotonin is a mood regulating hormone there are other mood regulating hormones such as: Dopamine, Progestorone, and of course Testosterone.
  10. New Member

how many SSRI users do you k now htat have taken E, shrooms, acid weed etc etc etc

you will be surprised to see that there are many reckless people out there

so i agree with general warning

but its a warning thats all

serotonin syndrome would have killed alot of people and the paper insert says its a very rare phenomenon

prozac doesnt do well for my girl at 20mg,,,instead of bumping that up, she tried 5 htp...much better anxiolytic effect....go figure.

i thought that was intersting, im not asying to stack ****, im just saying its not perfectly clear when it comes to neuro stuff.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by comacho View Post
    how many SSRI users do you k now htat have taken E, shrooms, acid weed etc etc etc

serotonin syndrome would have killed alot of people and the paper insert says its a very rare phenomenon

prozac doesnt do well for my girl at 20mg,,,instead of bumping that up, she tried 5 htp...much better anxiolytic effect....go figure.

i thought that was intersting, im not asying to stack ****, im just saying its not perfectly clear when it comes to neuro stuff.
    I would never mix an SSRI and 5-htp unless under the direct supervision of a medical doctor.
  12. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by comacho View Post

not as rare as you think. I've had it. One of the sh*ttiest feeling in the world. Thought I was having a stroke and a panic attack at the same time. Lasted about 20 min.
  13. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.

I've done it before, kinda, without any neg side effects. Now this doesnt mean that you wont I am just saying I didnt. I took about 300mg of 5-HTP with about 4 St Johns Wart (herbal SSRI) granted SJW is a low dose SSRI. I would not try this with something strong like Paxil or Prosac.
  14. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  255 lbs.

I recommend discontinuing it man! I had a GF go into seizures from mixing a mild SSRI with a 5-htp she was taking to relax before bed. Read up on serotonin syndrome here:

Serotonin Syndrome
    E-Pharm Nutrition Representative

Similar Forum Threads

1. SSRI fat gain etc
    By Dazl1212 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 03-10-2011, 08:50 AM
  2. SSRI
    By Stallion83 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-16-2009, 10:32 PM
  3. Superdrol and SSRI's