Adderall + maintainging mass

k2c89campo

Awards
Hey, ive been diagnosed with ADHD for a while now... taking ritilin rather than adderall, however tomorrow i will be seeing the doctor to switch to adderall for anxiety reasons... but while taking adderall or ritilin at the recommended dosage i take after breakfest as recomended then the period from 9-6:30 i seem to starve myself (taking the drug 2x weekly for classes) my first question would be while in that stage of not eating its obvious the body will loss weight, but am i losing muscle mass, or body fat. my 8% body fat body doesent have much to lose. Additionally ive heard to take a protein shake or force yourself to eat during the midsts of the drug, however i also heard the body speeds the metabolism at 40% more. Furthermore what would be a way for myself and other ADHD diagnoses to do to maintain mass if any. And if someone can answer does the period of no eating suppress muscle mass, or mass in body fat.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Eating on a regular schedule would be the best way to maintain.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
the only way is to cut down on your adderall intake. adderall is a government made meth amphetamine. in the drug world this is called speed. so if you are speeding on adderall there is no way you are gonna be hungry, ever. its a shame we havent found a way to deal with ADHD without use of meth amphetamines. so my advice would be to try to see how little of it you need, and stick to that amount. Its definitely something you dont want to take your whole life, so try to cut down on your dosage.

amicold

Awards
the only way is to cut down on your adderall intake. adderall is a government made meth amphetamine. in the drug world this is called speed. so if you are speeding on adderall there is no way you are gonna be hungry, ever. its a shame we havent found a way to deal with ADHD without use of meth amphetamines. so my advice would be to try to see how little of it you need, and stick to that amount. Its definitely something you dont want to take your whole life, so try to cut down on your dosage.
This post sucks. Adderall is amphetamine and dextroamphetamine not meth, and no the government doesn't make Adderall either. Teva pharmaceuticals does. Just eat despite it's appetite suppression.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
This post sucks. Adderall is amphetamine and dextroamphetamine not meth, and no the government doesn't make Adderall either. Teva pharmaceuticals does. Just eat despite it's appetite suppression.
No this thread doesnt suck, adderall sucks. Fine, some pharma company makes it, the Gov. still approves it so doctors can prescribe kids a really strong amphetamine up to 100 mgs a day. dont get me wrong ive taken my fair shair of adderall to study or whatever but I think its retarded to deal with an attention deficit desorder by eating a bunch of amphetamines. Big pharmaceutical companies are making a killing selling these drugs and the FDA approves your kids speeding their as$es off.

monsterranger

Awards
No this thread doesnt suck, adderall sucks. Fine, some pharma company makes it, the Gov. still approves it so doctors can prescribe kids a really strong amphetamine up to 100 mgs a day. dont get me wrong ive taken my fair shair of adderall to study or whatever but I think its retarded to deal with an attention deficit desorder by eating a bunch of amphetamines. Big pharmaceutical companies are making a killing selling these drugs and the FDA approves your kids speeding their as$es off.
Agreed most of us have had some experience with adderall, dexedrine, ritalin whatever, they all are horrible on your body and mind and really not necessary, for most they are drugs of abuse and if you arent pursuing some difficult degree that requires some insane studying and focus for hours a day, I dont see the need for it except doctors tell you you need it, no offense to guy prescribed it but it has no practical place in bodybuilding dude

Athletix

Athletix

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
He is right, it is not methamphetamine. Methamphetamine is exactly what the name implies methylated amphetamine. Amphetamine is actually a mixture of multiple salts of amphetamine to give the long lasting effect that Adderall gives. You will lose both muscle and fat in the process, there is no way to get around it. Amphetamine is actually an interesting beast as it actually reverses the reuptake pump making it impulse independent whereas even cocaine is dependent on an action potential for its action and only blocks reuptake. You are basically taking legalized cocaine ;).

Your metabolic rate is increased many times over and since it has effects on multiple NT's it greatly decreases appetite and the mix of the two usually equals a lot of weight loss. Eat frequently even if you don't feel hungry when taking it. Stick to lower glycemic carbs and it will also help.

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
^ what he said, just learned that last semester in bio-psychology.

Athletix

Athletix

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
^ what he said, just learned that last semester in bio-psychology.
Haha, yeah it is an interesting drug to say the least. The big problem with it in colleges right now is that although it is most selective for adrenergic terminals, it is the next most selective for dopamine, and then seratonin. The mesolimbic dopamine response is the main reason for addiction so if the dose is not prescribed correctly or if someone takes more than they should the euphoria sets in and you can get quite dependent, same thing goes for cocaine. The other interesting part is that only about 2-3% of people with ADHD are actually properly diagnosed for it.

Lacradocious

Lacradocious

Awards
  • Established
I would just take the adderall when you need it as opposed to everyday. If you can't focus on your homework, need to be writing a paper, or paying attention your housework or girlfriend - then pop one and get it done. No need to take it when you don't need to be focused, given the effect on appetite and long term issues.

So if you have nothing to do over winter break, etc. or if you're got nothing to do than partake in the "clean" thread or it's associated activities - you shouldn't need to take it. Plus it will decrease dependance and improve effectiveness of the medication.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
Drink milk when you can't eat. I would still be thirsty and drink a ton of milk when I couldn't eat. I feel your pain. Use whole milk if 2% isn't enough Caldwell. Cals. Mix casein protien in for added benefit.

Athletix

Athletix

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Methylphenidate is a better option personally and has no seretonogenic effects like amphetamine and has less tolerance to the increased alertness and decreased sensitization to the bad sides. Possibly an even better option is actually atomoxetine which is Strattera. It actually is a non stimulant that acts exclusively on NE reuptake, which is nice since getting away from dopamine reuptake blockade will decrease dependence and you won't have as many of the sympathomimetic sides and possibly less weight loss in that aspect. It does take a couple of weeks to start working instead of right away and you won't get the euphoria like you do with amphetamine but personally I think it is much more useful for staying alert without long term side effects. Amphetamine has been shown to decrease dendritic connections with long term use, which can lead to some ugly sides down the road but there are no studies on the others in this aspect.

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
ADD = Adult deficiency of discipline

Just teasing.

Why cant you ween yourself down slowly?

crazee77

Awards
i am prescribed adderall and I lost almost 15lbs in a couple of months and that was with my same diet before I got prescribed. I forced myself to eat and still loss muscle and weight...I quit taking it. All my had work to gain was not worth it to me.

Antigravity

Antigravity

Awards
A couple things you may want to consider-
Regular (tablet) Adderall has a half life of 6 hours, therefore taking it just before your classes may be helpful (once). I would also start with half the dosage and work up, because adderall builds a tolerance quickly, I would start below and go up.
If you do want to "come down" drink orange juice.
You can take adderall with food, so if your worried about body mass, take it, (wait about 10-20 min) and then drink a heafty protein shake, alternately you can get a normal shake in, crush the tablet and mix it in. (a similar strategy mothers use to get their children to take adderall)....
Adderall speeds up your metabolism, so you are processing things faster, however note that you need to stay hydrated on adderall, because it also dehydrates... with that said you can mix in some hydrolyzed protein or bcaas.
I would vote for BCAAs or EAAS.. and this is why:
Amphetamines are -amine salts. And studies show that the blood pH greatly determines how effective they are- if you drink basic beverages such as milk, sodium bicarbonate, calcium carbonate, etc. you will increase the bioavailability and the length of time it is effective in the body since amines thrive in a pH basic environment. However if your pH is slightly acidic, (ie drinking OJ) it would deactivate the amines, and excrete them faster.

In regards to mass you will lose: both fat and muscle, however the lower your BF gets, the more muscle it will eat.
I would not switch to stratterra, there have been reports of unusual behavioral patterns developing in adults including risk for depression, so if youre on anything else (ie: test) which also increases those risk factors I would avoid it.

Like Lacradocious suggested: I would suggest that you only take it on an "as needed" basis. It would still be effective, and it would lessen the side effects, both stim based and dopamine based ones.

Amicold:
you are incorrect. Pharmaceuticals DO make methamphetamine under the name Desoxyn.

one more thing to note: there have been reports based on anecdotal evidence that brand name adderall is different than generic. Although the chemicals are the same, and the ratios are correct, some children have strange reactions to the fillers in the generic tabs. With that said, brand adderall is a smoother drug. However you can also switch to Dexedrine which simply Dextroamphetamine salt, while adderall is a mix of Levo and Dextro amphetamine salts.

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
I've never taken adderall, but my doc had me start Concerta a year ago. I can say that I've never had any trouble retaining mass on it. In fact, I've put on about 8 lbs in the last year.

I can say that Concerta has changed my life! I honestly think it may have saved my life. I look back and wonder how in the world I made it through college, then grad school with undiagnosed ADD. I've found work and life to be so much easier. I'm actually enjoying my life for the first time since I was a teenager.

SrT4u2Nv

SrT4u2Nv

Awards
I was diagnosed years ago with ADD as a teen but refused to take any of the meds at the time bc of the side affects. But things have changed and it's gotten much worse and ten years later and multiple tests I was diagnosed with ADHD. I started out on Concerta for a year and hated it. Then a year of stratera and foclin and the sides were terrible also. I tried adderall and it was truly life changing but I hated the jitteriness and I felt hyper but smoothed over my thought process and all the ADD problems I was fighting for years. So after eight months I decided I wanted to go back to battle with ADD. Coming off adderall was worse then anything I'd experienced but I feel much better after a few weeks and I feel like me again. But here is the catch... I started at 20mg a day up to 60mg and my appetite was never affected. I even took Tums which is supposed to help with absorption since it's a salt and still nothing effected my appetite. No one could tell me why, but then again ECA and Caffeine do not have a major affect on me.

lartinos

lartinos

Awards
I have supplement like this and would say an anabolic is needed.

theface

theface

Awards
  • Established
Methylphenidate is a better option personally and has no seretonogenic effects like amphetamine and has less tolerance to the increased alertness and decreased sensitization to the bad sides. Possibly an even better option is actually atomoxetine which is Strattera. It actually is a non stimulant that acts exclusively on NE reuptake, which is nice since getting away from dopamine reuptake blockade will decrease dependence and you won't have as many of the sympathomimetic sides and possibly less weight loss in that aspect. It does take a couple of weeks to start working instead of right away and you won't get the euphoria like you do with amphetamine but personally I think it is much more useful for staying alert without long term side effects. Amphetamine has been shown to decrease dendritic connections with long term use, which can lead to some ugly sides down the road but there are no studies on the others in this aspect.
I'm having undesirable side effects with Strattera. I think anything over 30 mg ED causes a urinary backup, which my doctor warned about, and it constantly feels like I have to pee, when I actually don't. I did notice some help when adding the Strattera to my Vyvanse/Ampheta-Restore regimen. I noticed a slight increase in focus and cognitive ability. However, the urinary retention issue is almost unbearable. I am going to try and back my dose down to 20 mg ED and see how that goes.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
did you guys hear about parents putting their ADD/ADHD kids on GABA and having amazing results? look into it, GABA is some great stuff. maybe with some simple supplementation you can manage yourself without prescriptions.

Mjolnir

Mjolnir

Awards
  • Established
did you guys hear about parents putting their ADD/ADHD kids on GABA and having amazing results? look into it, GABA is some great stuff. maybe with some simple supplementation you can manage yourself without prescriptions.
But amphetamine = fun!

Speed for everyone yay!!

purebred

anyone trying fish oil for ADD/ADHD? i've heard great stuff about it.

purebred

Drink milk when you can't eat. I would still be thirsty and drink a ton of milk when I couldn't eat. I feel your pain. Use whole milk if 2% isn't enough Caldwell. Cals. Mix casein protien in for added benefit.
A gallon of [whole] milk is 2000+ calories. 1 liter at a time should do the trick. No need to add anything to it. That's likely to disrupt digestion in most people.