New to Anabolic Minds

Zekdawg

Awards
Not sure where to post things here quite yet, just heard about this site from a friend a couple of days ago, i apologize for any noob things i may say or do.

I heard about some various methods of utilizing pro-hormones or supplements in conjunction with other things to add more mass. I've been lifting for about 2 years with only the last year or so calculating macros. While i am relatively strong my body has remained somewhat slender with a majority of my ft left in my midsection. I went from 210 (obese for me) in my adolescents to 155-160 then started lifting and i hover around 170-175 as a 6 foot 23 year old male. I want to get serious about this and try to track everything that goes into my body but it seems like there's no results coming aside from minor strength gains but they are few and far between. id like to be somewhere near 185-190 and am ok with it taking awhile so long as i know ill get there. Any attempt at adding mass is met with bloating and fat, i know this is standard, but it almost seems like it much more for me than anyone i read about.

I'm in the Military and am unsure what is allowed and not allowed and was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on options i can pursue. The end goal is to eventually leave the military and pursue fitness. Currently im trying to lean out for summer, however if im able to get quality information and or some kind of help i would start packing in the calories again.

Thank you!

g0hardorgohom

g0hardorgohom

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think that prohormones and designer steroids are the only option for you because of military.

I'd start with Epi at 30/45/45/45/45/45.

csa2179

csa2179

Awards
I think u need to learn a lot more about diet and exercise before u hit the ph/ds. At 170 u have a lot if gains in u. Plus 23 is a bit young to be ****ing with ur natural hormones. I'd give it two years, change ur diet lift 5 days a week. And at 25 start considering exogenous hormones. I waited till I was 28. I'm sure u'll do what ever u want but my lil brother is ur age and I wouldn't put gun in a cycle at ur age.

Zekdawg

Awards
Ok, i can respect that. I've been following iifym and trying to cut up for summer. In the past I've just done bulks, eating everything and it never really panned out, I'd like to be bigger. I guess I'm still experimenting with what works for me. I heard being super lean is the best time to start bulking so i may just begin a more careful bulk. Alot of guys i see are eating 300+ grams of protein and carbs and 100+ grams of fat and their only 10-15 lbs more than i am. How are they coming up with these numbers? Im 6 foot 170 lbs and i eat 170g protein, 76 g fat and 180 ish gram of carbs for my current cutting regime and when i bulk my carbs go up and the proteina nd fat scale with my weight. I track everything, i'm just not netting the gains that i see others getting. Any tips?

g0hardorgohom

g0hardorgohom

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Your diet probably explains it.

I'm not that much heavier than you (I compete in 181lbs weight class in powerlifting) and my food intake in training days is about 300 grams of protein, 700 grams of carbs and 150 grams of fat. Fat intake is a little too high though.

Zekdawg

Awards
Your diet probably explains it.

I'm not that much heavier than you (I compete in 181lbs weight class in powerlifting) and my food intake in training days is about 300 grams of protein, 700 grams of carbs and 150 grams of fat. Fat intake is a little too high though.
How did you come up with those numbers? How do I calculate what i need? Also i have a tendency to bloat, almost to an absurd level. If I'm only taking a protein and fish oil supplement, would my numbers be that high?

g0hardorgohom

g0hardorgohom

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How did you come up with those numbers? How do I calculate what i need? Also i have a tendency to bloat, almost to an absurd level. If I'm only taking a protein and fish oil supplement, would my numbers be that high?
Trial and error.

Take 1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight (slightly less may suffice if you stay natural), 0.4 grams of fat per pound of bodyweight and adjust the amount of carbs to suit your goals. That's very simple.

Zekdawg

Awards
Trial and error.

Take 1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight (slightly less may suffice if you stay natural), 0.4 grams of fat per pound of bodyweight and adjust the amount of carbs to suit your goals. That's very simple.

Thats roughly what i do with, 1g per pound of bodyweight and .45g of fat with the remainder of my calories going to carbs. but i calculated my tdee and its 2575 calories per day, im on a cut so im trying to eat 20% below that. so around 2060.

g0hardorgohom

g0hardorgohom

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If I calculate my TDEE, it's roughly the same that you have. However, if I ate that little, I would lose 20lbs in two months, lol.

You really can't know what works for you unless you try! :)

Zekdawg

Awards
If I calculate my TDEE, it's roughly the same that you have. However, if I ate that little, I would lose 20lbs in two months, lol.

You really can't know what works for you unless you try! :)

I'll have to play around with it, what kind of program do you think would be optimal? I focus my days around compound movements, except bench, hurts my shoulder to much. Ive gotten so much mixed information, 5 days, 4 days of upper lower, hypertrophy, super heavy low reps, light with high reps, cardi-no cardio. I'm trying to attain a psyique competitor type build, i want to compete either while im int he navy or when i get out.

g0hardorgohom

g0hardorgohom

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'll have to play around with it, what kind of program do you think would be optimal? I focus my days around compound movements, except bench, hurts my shoulder to much. Ive gotten so much mixed information, 5 days, 4 days of upper lower, hypertrophy, super heavy low reps, light with high reps, cardi-no cardio. I'm trying to attain a psyique competitor type build, i want to compete either while im int he navy or when i get out.
Here is few routines worth considering - just google them and you'll find more information:

- Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 Bodybuilding Template
- Growth Stimulus Training
- Layne Norton's PHAT
- Westside Barbell for Skinny Bastards

Just pick one of them and you're good to go. Can't go wrong with any of those.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I concur with 5/3/1, WSB4SB, and PHAT, specifically the first two.

Just to help you reinforce your decision not to use hormones, they are not legal per the UCMJ, though they only test under probable cause.

You should consider starting a training log. You'll recieve boat loads of diet and training advice.

Welcome to AM, Squid!

Zekdawg

Awards
Awesome, thanks for all the help guys!

I have some experience with 5/3/1 int he past so I'm going to do it again. I recently found out I'm not taking in enough fiber which has been a cause of me blowing up like a balloon whenever i would bulk. This in turn would make me think i was getting fat as **** so id stop. (vicious cycle of no gainz) Now that i know i wasnt eating enough and my fiber was too low maybe now i can dedicate my time in C school to getting Beefy.

I was playing around with a calculator and got roughly 3060 for a bulk and on a 40/40/20 split it comes to 300 ish g protein for carbs and protein and around 68g of fat. What do you guys think about this?

Thank
Zek

g0hardorgohom

g0hardorgohom

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Awesome, thanks for all the help guys!

I have some experience with 5/3/1 int he past so I'm going to do it again. I recently found out I'm not taking in enough fiber which has been a cause of me blowing up like a balloon whenever i would bulk. This in turn would make me think i was getting fat as **** so id stop. (vicious cycle of no gainz) Now that i know i wasnt eating enough and my fiber was too low maybe now i can dedicate my time in C school to getting Beefy.

I was playing around with a calculator and got roughly 3060 for a bulk and on a 40/40/20 split it comes to 300 ish g protein for carbs and protein and around 68g of fat. What do you guys think about this?

Thank
Zek
I'd drop protein slightly and increase carbs. 1.5g of protein per pound of bodyweight is perfectly fine.

SuperPro

SuperPro

Awards
Just gonna drop it in here that I'm in the military and I can tell you for sure, from personal experience and testimony of many others, that they do not test for steroids(DS or AAS) in their regular pee tests. They CAN test you if it's commander mandated so there is a risk, but just take a look at David Henry:

2014-arnold-classic-212-preview_david-henry.jpg

Nuff said.