Vinegar

DetroitHammer

DetroitHammer

Awards
  • Established
I started taking Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar every day, drinking it straight. Short term benefits are as follows: I used to suffer very bad heartburn. Not one episode of heartburn since taking the cider; kidney functions have improved. I suspect an impact to the prostrate also; blood pressure improved considerably along with resting pulse (I'm on test E 400 per week, mast 200 per week and test suspension 75mgs every day). Typically in the evening my BP is 140/78 pulse 76. Now it's 120/68 pulse 68 and I feel more energetic. I will get bloodwork done in a few weeks to see how it affects my lipid panel and liver, among other things like my eGFR. Just passing this along. I think this is good stuff.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Good to hear.

It stands to reason that heartburn, GERD (etc) would be reduced - since adding additional acid would trigger your body not to produce more. That is actually one of the treatments alternative medicine MDs suggest for for acid reflex (which is, basically, the opposite of taking anti-acids).

DetroitHammer

DetroitHammer

Awards
  • Established
Good to hear.

It stands to reason that heartburn, GERD (etc) would be reduced - since adding additional acid would trigger your body not to produce more. That is actually one of the treatments alternative medicine MDs suggest for for acid reflex (which is, basically, the opposite of taking anti-acids).
Good point. I hope the bloodwork shows other improvements.

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
Curious, how much do you take at a time, roughly?

Thanks!!

DetroitHammer

DetroitHammer

Awards
  • Established
Curious, how much do you take at a time, roughly?

Thanks!!
The recommended dosage is 1-2 teaspoons 3 times a day. I just pour a little in a shot glass and down it. It's a little more but I like it.

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
I've just been reading a couple other threads about ACV and the benefits list is quite impressive!!

Definately trying this out...thanks again!!

pro520roost

pro520roost

Awards
Great info I get really bad heartburn I am trying this thanks

CaptnCaveman

CaptnCaveman

Banned
Awards
Make sure you get the acv with "the mother" in it. Those are the enzymes that occur naturally in It before it's processed. Many people believe those enzymes are what contribute to its benefits.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
As ironic as this may sound, ACV actually impart/induces an alkaline ash (increase the pH/acid buffer) in the body. Similarly, citric "acids" do as well. It's so true that many naturopaths prescribe lemon juice (citric acid) for many ailments (digestion, kidney stones, osteoporosis) as these "acids" have an opposite effect (as most acids, acidify, lower the pH).

Some "extreme" proponents of these also go as far as claiming alkaline diets and agents are anti-cancer based on the data that states cancers can only survive in an acidic environment.

People with chronically elevated acidic systems (many of which are digestion related), will benefit from ACV, and/or citric acid. Most Americans, and even "healthy" bodybuilderrs, have acidic environments due to either high processed food intake or high meat ingestion (both of which are highly acidic) and/or low green intake (very alkaline).

As an aside, shotgunning ACV can cause erosion of teeth enamel. Toss it in some water then slam/chug as the results are the same.

Good to hear.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I concur with your statement regarding opting for the natural unadulterated "mother" versions. I would only slightly modify your post.

Some believe these ADD to the benefits (as opposed to being "the" reason for the benefits ;). Many are depleted in the digestive enzyme department as we age, indirectly from other disorders/pathologies, and/or from abusing the "pool" of enzymes from excessive intake of processed foods and/or meats that drain our supply.

Once again, there are "extremists" who now claim digestive enzyme (or rather, the lackthereof") can be attiributed to many forms of cancer. Their treratment protocols for healing cancer? High potency pancreatic enzymes.

Make sure you get the acv with "the mother" in it. Those are the enzymes that occur naturally in It before it's processed. Many people believe those enzymes are what contribute to its benefits.

DetroitHammer

DetroitHammer

Awards
  • Established
I concur with your statement regarding opting for the natural unadulterated "mother" versions. I would only slightly modify your post.

Some believe these ADD to the benefits (as opposed to being "the" reason for the benefits ;). Many are depleted in the digestive enzyme department as we age, indirectly from other disorders/pathologies, and/or from abusing the "pool" of enzymes from excessive intake of processed foods and/or meats that drain our supply.

Once again, there are "extremists" who now claim digestive enzyme (or rather, the lackthereof") can be attiributed to many forms of cancer. Their treratment protocols for healing cancer? High potency pancreatic enzymes.
In regards to cancer... My wife had breast cancer 6 years ago. Stage three. After two chemo treatments she stopped, saying she'd rather die that go through that every week for a year. She found a doctor who specialized in organic treatments. Her cancer doctor refused to see her when she stopped chemo. She checked every day to make sure her body was in an alkaline state. Bought all the stuff to keep it there. She did do radiation for a few weeks. But now, after 6 years, she's cancer free. I think there's something to be said for being in an alkaline state.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Killer story DH. Thanks for sharing and great to hear that!!

In regards to cancer... My wife had breast cancer 6 years ago. Stage three. After two chemo treatments she stopped, saying she'd rather die that go through that every week for a year. She found a doctor who specialized in organic treatments. Her cancer doctor refused to see her when she stopped chemo. She checked every day to make sure her body was in an alkaline state. Bought all the stuff to keep it there. She did do radiation for a few weeks. But now, after 6 years, she's cancer free. I think there's something to be said for being in an alkaline state.

hurdlemaker

hurdlemaker

Awards
  • Established
what was she taking to keep her body in an alkaline state? Amazing and uplifting story btw. Very glad for you and your wife!

jcc80

jcc80

Awards
Subbed, I've used acv before but not consistently. Very promising.

hardwork25

hardwork25

Awards
I use braggs almost everyday for my crohns.

Thinking about increasing from one to two tablespoons.

bean5er

bean5er

Awards
Great stuff in here fellas. DH very cool story about you and your wife bud. All my best to you both. I just picked some up today ironically

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
ACV is one of the best and simplest things you can use for your health.. You can make salad dressings with it, add it to protein shakes or aminos, whatever u want. When I'm home I just shwig a gulp out of the bottle before I take my first bite of food.. Sometimes I will put It in my shaker and drink it before I go into a restaurant that may make me bloated/gassy/heart burn, and it's usually dramatically reduced. I ran out a week ago and haven't made it to the store yet, I can 100% tell the difference, Dare I say I'm a little constipated too. I need to get more asap. I've been doing this for about 4 years. My father used to do it daily as well.. He would mix a tbsp of honey, ACV, and warm water before a workout back in the 70s lol

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Just like Whack and others have pointed out, AVC w/ culture will acidify the stomach and help colonize friendly flora (which is generally good for GERD and IBS related stuff) but acetic/citric carboxy acids are converted to carb and bicarb in the kidney which conversely acts to alkalinize the blood. A slightly alkalinized system is great for increased endurance at the gym, and also helps discourage mitochondrial functions which can promote metabolic syndromes, obesity, tumors, etc..

I don't know how Detroit takes shots though! Dear lord, I took a 1oz. shot once undiluted and couldn't catch my breath for almost 2 minutes, just like in the old cartoons when the cat sucks up Acme Alum, lol.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
I use braggs almost everyday for my crohns.

Thinking about increasing from one to two tablespoons.
You might consider culturing your own, with a top-shelf grade brewer's yeast. I was considering some Saccharomyces boulardii experiments myself, because the Crohn and colitis feedback looks so darn impressive. Most 'mother' is randomly seeded from airborne (luck of the draw), but you can make more potent designer ACV with much more consistent results apparently.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I've tossed down a few ACV shots over the years. I do not intend to allow myself that "joy" in the future. Dilluted is just fine, thank you.

jcc80

jcc80

Awards
Picked some up again. Shot, then immediately chase with water. No big deal.

HokiePride

HokiePride

Awards
  • Established
So what's ACV again? Can you pick it up in Walmart

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So what's ACV again? Can you pick it up in Walmart
Don't waste your money on cheap/processed/refined ACV

Defeats the purpose. Stick with BRAGG's Organic!

bean5er

bean5er

Awards
My wife mentioned something about the combo of aloe Vera and ACV. Anyone have any experience or insight?

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
Subbed, I've also used ACV in the past.