CK/Anabolic Diet mega thread

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Seems that lots of people have questions about this diet. I myself have some and will certainly have more in the future.

Question: If I'm doing a 24 hour carb up on CKD, how many grams of carbs should I shoot for? 500? If I'm using this diet to cut, should I try and maintain the same caloric intake on the carb up day?

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
I'm curious as well, hope you don't mind me taking a seat to listen.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Not a problem at all. Hopefully there will be atleast 1 person who knows what they're doing. I have it set out for myself right now where I'll take 556g of carbs from friday night through last meal saturday.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
From what you've read, do people still add carbs for their post workout shakes when they're on AD or carbs just on refeed days?

About how much fiber are you pulling in per day?

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
From what you've read, do people still add carbs for their post workout shakes when they're on AD or carbs just on refeed days?

Only people who add carbs around work out are those on TKD or targeted ketogenic diet. Targeted meaning carb intake is targeted around workouts. I haven't had any strength issues (only endurance) with CKD so I haven't switched to TKD. I take just about 20g carbs ED Sunday-Friday night.

Theoretically on the CKD your insulin is so regulated and level that carbs in pwo aren't needed.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
According to Lyle Macdonalds work, it's about 4.5 grams of carbohydrates per a pound of lean mass. Assuming you've worked off enough energy to sufficiently deplete glycogen levels through the week this should bring you back to 100 percent of your glycogen storage levels.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There's a calculator for it. I did the CKD/anabolic diet before. I dont reccomend a 24 hour carb load unless your under 8% BF.

I would also not pig out during this time either. Maybe have one bad meal but thats it. Keep fats relatively low like 80gr or so and keep protein the same. Your calories during this time don't really matter because your body is suppose to still be using the fat as fuel and the carbs should be shuttled to the muscles to restore glycogen levels.

I think I book marked the calculator but it also called for 24-48 hour carb loads, which IMO, are waaaaay too much for dieting.

IMO here's how the carb load time should be

18%+.....1 high carb meal 100gr carbs
15-17%.....2-4hr carb loads 150gr carbs
12-14%.....4-6hr carb load 200-250gr carbs
10-11%......6-8hr carb loads 250-300gr carbs
<10%.....12-24hr carb loads 300-400gr carbs.

again I have no science but just from what I have gathered with my diet over the years. I really don't see the point to go over 400gr carbs.

Botch

Botch

Awards
  • Established
Rugger1, If you're going for full glycogen supercompensation then you need to be eating a lot more carbs on the weekend (and a carb up longer than 24 hours). This is what I used when cutting:
Macros: 60%CHO/30%PRO/10%FAT

During the first 24 hours: 16xLBM(kg) For me this was about 1152g CHO during the first 24 hours. It is extremely difficult to consume this many carbohydrates during the first 24 hours if you don't drink liquid carbs (in the form of simple sugars and glucose polymers). It may seem difficult to eat this much (especially becuase you're eating a grip of protein as well), but you need to tough it out because you only do it once a week.

During the second 24 hours: about 8-10xLBM(kg) At this point insulin sensitivity begins to decline so the second 24 hours should consist of solid starches (rice, potatoes, pasta, etc.).

You don't need to be scared if your carb up lasts a bit longer than 48 hours. Sometimes mine would last 50 hours or so. The above protocol is Dan Duchaine's and helped me to lose some good bodyfat. The problem I think people have with carbing up and storing fat is that they keep the fat content too high during the carb up. The sweet spot is that 60/30/10. I could go into this with much greater detail but I don't think most people will want to follow this protocol because at first glance they just write this carb up off thinking that its going to make them fat. What people don't understand is that a CKD is not a cutting diet, but it is rather a recomposition diet. Your workouts need to coincide with your glycogen levels in order to reap the benefits of this diet. Without getting everything in order you're better off just sticking to a different diet because the results will be less than stellar, IMHO.

Botch

Botch

Awards
  • Established
That is a very good article. One of the most important points you can take away from this article is that in order to achieve maximum glycogen supercompensation your carb load should start IMMEDIATELY following a depletion workout.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
That is a very good article. One of the most important points you can take away from this article is that in order to achieve maximum glycogen supercompensation your carb load should start IMMEDIATELY following a depletion workout.
What would some examples be of good liquid carbs? Also, could I use the same source of carbs throughout my load up? Meaning, Could I just eat 4 boxes of pasta over say 36 hours and be satisfied with that?

Botch

Botch

Awards
  • Established

you will be good with 30g fiber per day.

Botch

Botch

Awards
  • Established
What would some examples be of good liquid carbs? Also, could I use the same source of carbs throughout my load up? Meaning, Could I just eat 4 boxes of pasta over say 36 hours and be satisfied with that?
No, another important point in the article is that it's best to eat simple sugars or glucose polymers during the initial 24 hours becuase it will achieve supercompensation more quickly. Personally, I'm a fan of gatorade and during this time I would drink tons of gatorade, powerade, and maltodextrin (glucose polymers). Waxy maise starch works great too. Just be sure you stay away from fruit as fructose is not ideal since it will preferentially refill liver glycogen. But during that second 24 hours (or 12 if you only want a 36 hour load) splitting up that box of pasta would be ideal. I personally used to make a nice 12 servings of white rice on Saturday morning and eat it throughout the day with some good proteins.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
So for the first 24, just eat simples like malto, wms, gatorate, white bread etc? I think that will be really hard to do in large numbers. What would some other foods be that are high in simples but can be eaten in bulk? Wouldn't regular pasta instead of wheat pasta fit this bill for the first 24?

Botch

Botch

Awards
  • Established
So for the first 24, just eat simples like malto, wms, gatorate, white bread etc? I think that will be really hard to do in large numbers. What would some other foods be that are high in simples but can be eaten in bulk? Wouldn't regular pasta instead of wheat pasta fit this bill for the first 24?
It can be very difficult to do in large numbers, hence the liquids. Like I said, simple sugars and glucose polymers. Pasta does not fit the bill here. You will be able to eat plenty of pasta during the second 24 hours if you chose to take this route.

Botch

Botch

Awards
  • Established
Even if you go with a protocol with less carbs and protein you should still follow the types of carbs I have suggested. And don't go above 10% fat whatever you do during the carb up. This can slow digestion as well as the insulin response that we are trying to set up. As far as the amount of carbs and protein I have listed, none of this is set in stone. Honestly, the entire feild of nutrition is still in its infancy. If you used a different protocol you will still see results, I am just telling you what has worked best for me through trial and error.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the tips. I really appreciate it. I'll plan something out that includes lots of simples for the beginning and then just piling on as much as I can. I assume it's safe to say that caloric intake can be disregarded.

Botch

Botch

Awards
  • Established
Yes, by all means you should stuff your face with carbohydrates on the weekends.

SoCo4Fun

SoCo4Fun

Awards
  • Established
This is a good thread as I am about to start on the Anabolic Diet...

spiderduncan

spiderduncan

Awards
  • Established
Rugger, I don't want to hijack your thread (BTW, great discussion), so be patient with me.

Botch, in you experience with the CKD, do people in general understand what a depletion workout involves? :think:

Botch

Botch

Awards
  • Established
Rugger, I don't want to hijack your thread (BTW, great discussion), so be patient with me.

Botch, in you experience with the CKD, do people in general understand what a depletion workout involves? :think:
No. And honestly, I didn't understand what it was or involved for the longest time. When I started to utilize it on this CKD I started to see much better results than I had been. It was really like night and day. You know, maybe if people learned how to utlize the depletion workout and carb timing they would carb up for a full 48+ hours rather than such a short amount of time that I see people doing so regularly (I used to be guilty of this as well). It requires A LOT of carbohydrates for the body to reach maximum glycogen supercompensation and this needs to be achieved my beginning the carb up IMMEDIATELY after you put down that last weight after the full body depletion workout. I think people have a feeling like they are getting "fat" while they carb up because they aren't always making forward progress but the carb up is pertinent to ensure quality in your workouts for the following week. And rest assured if you're cycling your macros correctly then you are not putting on "fat" during the carb up but rather loading up on glycogen.
I'm sorry if I rambled there. I don't know if I really answered your question. Did you want me to post a sample of a full body depletion workout?

spiderduncan

spiderduncan

Awards
  • Established
No. And honestly, I didn't understand what it was or involved for the longest time. When I started to utilize it on this CKD I started to see much better results than I had been. It was really like night and day. You know, maybe if people learned how to utlize the depletion workout and carb timing they would carb up for a full 48+ hours rather than such a short amount of time that I see people doing so regularly (I used to be guilty of this as well). It requires A LOT of carbohydrates for the body to reach maximum glycogen supercompensation and this needs to be achieved my beginning the carb up IMMEDIATELY after you put down that last weight after the full body depletion workout. I think people have a feeling like they are getting "fat" while they carb up because they aren't always making forward progress but the carb up is pertinent to ensure quality in your workouts for the following week. And rest assured if you're cycling your macros correctly then you are not putting on "fat" during the carb up but rather loading up on glycogen.
I'm sorry if I rambled there. I don't know if I really answered your question. Did you want me to post a sample of a full body depletion workout?
No worries Botch. Your explanation is clear. I was on a lowcarb forum when Lyle was writing his first book and was privy to a lot of his writings before they were published. It has been some time since I have low carbed (wife and family prefer carbs). However, I am contemplating another go of it. :food:

Botch

Botch

Awards
  • Established
Would you mind? I'm curious about this myself...
Certainly. Here is an example of a workout I used during my last X-factor log. This workout was completed in just under 2 hours. If you don't feel like you're going to throw up during the full body depletion workout then you're not doing something right, lol!

Squat: 185(20) 185(20)

Leg Extensions: 105(20) 105(20)

Good Mornings: 85(20) 95(20)

Leg Curls: 90(20) 90(20)

Single Leg Calf Raise on Leg Press Machine: 170(20) 170(20)

Standing Single Leg Calf Raise: bw(20) bw(20)

Pull-ups: bw(20) bw(20)

1 Arm DB Rows: 40(20) 45(20)

Upright Rows: 60(20) 60(20)

Flat Bench Press: 135(20) 145(12)<--Drop 115(10)

Incline Bench Press: 115(15)<--drop 95(10) 115(12)<--drop 95(8)

Wide Grip Bench Press: 115(18) 115(15) Superset w/
Push ups: bw(10) bw(8)

Hyperextensions: REP OUT bw(25)

DB Overhead Press: 40's(12)<--drop 30's(8)<--drop 20's(6) 30's(12)<--drop 20's(8)

Standing BB Curls: 75(20) 75(18)<--drop 65(8)

Close Grip Bench Press: 95(15)<--drop 85(8) 95(12)<--drop 85(7)<--drop 75(4)

French Press: 50(15)<--drop 40(8) 50(12)<--drop 40(9)

DB Side Lateral Raise: 10's(20) 10's(20)

DB Bent Lateral Raise: 10's(20) 10's(25)

Wrist Curls: REP OUT 30(45)

Sit-up w/ twist: 3x30
Count down abs: crunches(30), leg lifts(25), jack knives(20)

Weights are kept low as the pump just became too much for me at that high of reps to go heavier. The wrist curls are something I would usually never do as I think they hold no value as a strength builder but when the goal is to deplete every last bit of glycogen then even smiling will be helpful during this workout.

Botch

Botch

Awards
  • Established
You do them circuit style correct? So you do 2 circuits or what?
No I don't do them circuit style. I just do straight sets with as little rest between sets as possible. Except when things are listed as supersets, which is something that I change up on a weekly basis.

Botch

Botch

Awards
  • Established
I was doing about 8 exercises circuit style and about 4-5 circuits. Resting about 1min between exercises and 3-5 min between circuits. Usually until I felt like I was going to puke. I like your better a lot better. :thumbsup:
Ya those circuit style workouts can be so brutal. Depletion workouts are the bane of my existence. Fuk...basically any workout that makes me want to throw up is not something I look forward too, lol. But the GH and other effects are well worth it.

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
Question:

I've Been doing Anabolic Diet for about 6 weeks now. I play beach volleyball on Wednesdays and today I had no energy. Normally I'm pretty energetic, but I could tell I was carb depleted today. Next Wednesday I want to be able to give 100% as its the playoffs.

How much of carb up should I look to do Tues night/Wed, so I can give my peak performance Wednesday evening?

I typically carb up on Friday evenings through Saturday night. I also play on Saturdays and Sundays so I don't want to skip that carb up. Thanks in advance for responses.

Botch

Botch

Awards
  • Established
Question:

I've Been doing Anabolic Diet for about 6 weeks now. I play beach volleyball on Wednesdays and today I had no energy. Normally I'm pretty energetic, but I could tell I was carb depleted today. Next Wednesday I want to be able to give 100% as its the playoffs.

How much of carb up should I look to do Tues night/Wed, so I can give my peak performance Wednesday evening?

I typically carb up on Friday evenings through Saturday night. I also play on Saturdays and Sundays so I don't want to skip that carb up. Thanks in advance for responses.
Here is what I would do. And please bare with me as I have not had my coffee yet this morning :p. What days during the week do you have completely off? I'm talking about from the gym or any other form of exercise? Ideally, you will want to carb up during days that you are not getting any exercise so that your body can store the glycogen you are giving it rather than quickly burning it off. Also, this is my opinion but I tend have a preference for playing sports during a high fat day as I feel I am more alert and have more energy. Unfortunately this may not be a possibility for you. It looks like it may be a possibility for you to actually carb up like this: Thursday evening through Friday night (carb gorge fest, eat as much as you want) and then on Tuesday evening a carb spike of 200-400g of carbs split between 1 or 2 meals. The only reason why I would switch your Friday and Saturday carb up to Thursday and Friday is so that you can achieve some form of glycogen supercompensation rather than burning most of the glycogen off right away while you play sports.
If this is something you are not interested in doing and you still want to carb up on Friday night through Saturday then I would suggest that you make the carb spike during the week on Wednesday morning. This should keep your energy levels nice and high for your game on Wednesday night.

Botch

Botch

Awards
  • Established
I have another question for you, RobInKuwait - how many carbs are you consuming over the course of Friday evening to Saturday night? I have used a carb spike during the week when playing sports and it definately helped me out but I also found that keeping my carb up to the weekend say 48-50 hours straight and eating tons of carbs really prepared me fully for the next week, no matter what my physical demands were.

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
Here is what I would do. And please bare with me as I have not had my coffee yet this morning :p. What days during the week do you have completely off? I'm talking about from the gym or any other form of exercise? Ideally, you will want to carb up during days that you are not getting any exercise so that your body can store the glycogen you are giving it rather than quickly burning it off. Also, this is my opinion but I tend have a preference for playing sports during a high fat day as I feel I am more alert and have more energy. Unfortunately this may not be a possibility for you. It looks like it may be a possibility for you to actually carb up like this: Thursday evening through Friday night (carb gorge fest, eat as much as you want) and then on Tuesday evening a carb spike of 200-400g of carbs split between 1 or 2 meals. The only reason why I would switch your Friday and Saturday carb up to Thursday and Friday is so that you can achieve some form of glycogen supercompensation rather than burning most of the glycogen off right away while you play sports.
If this is something you are not interested in doing and you still want to carb up on Friday night through Saturday then I would suggest that you make the carb spike during the week on Wednesday morning. This should keep your energy levels nice and high for your game on Wednesday night.
My schedule is lift on Mon, Tues, Thurs and/or Fri. Then I play volleyball on Wed nights, and Sat and Sun during the day. I occasionally walk or do light elliptical for cardio.

I normally do feel better without carbs, but for some reason I was sucking wind last night and playing bad. I am also on Leviathan, so I was thinking the Yohimbe may also be doing that.

I think I'm going to give the Wed morning carb up a chance. I don't want to mess with the Fri/Sat night carb up as that is my time for going out to restaurants with the wife and family and downing a couple of beers with friends.

Thanks for the input, and I'll let you know how the carb up affects my performance.

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
I have another question for you, RobInKuwait - how many carbs are you consuming over the course of Friday evening to Saturday night? I have used a carb spike during the week when playing sports and it definately helped me out but I also found that keeping my carb up to the weekend say 48-50 hours straight and eating tons of carbs really prepared me fully for the next week, no matter what my physical demands were.
I haven't been tracking numbers, but I typically on Friday have Waxy Maize after my workout and then go out for dinner and have large pasta dinner. Later that night I'll have a few beers and maybe some chips or popcorn or leftovers from dinner.

On Saturday, I'll have oatmeal or cereal, a sandwich, a wrap, and go out for dinner on Saturday night followed by some beers and snacks. I also try to eat whatever I've been craving all week.

I can definitely feel and see a difference after the carb up and usually gain about 5-8 pounds in the 1.5 days, but its always gone by Tuesday. My carb up is probably not optimal, but to me the carb up is my time to maintain sanity and being able to go out to eat and drink with friends and family.

Botch

Botch

Awards
  • Established
I haven't been tracking numbers, but I typically on Friday have Waxy Maize after my workout and then go out for dinner and have large pasta dinner. Later that night I'll have a few beers and maybe some chips or popcorn or leftovers from dinner.

On Saturday, I'll have oatmeal or cereal, a sandwich, a wrap, and go out for dinner on Saturday night followed by some beers and snacks. I also try to eat whatever I've been craving all week.

I can definitely feel and see a difference after the carb up and usually gain about 5-8 pounds in the 1.5 days, but its always gone by Tuesday. My carb up is probably not optimal, but to me the carb up is my time to maintain sanity and being able to go out to eat and drink with friends and family.
I hear ya bro! I have used the same setup while bulking on this diet in the past. It is very nice to be able to unwind on the weekend and have a few beers and fulfill those food cravings! And my girlfriend totally got used to us going out to restaurants on the weekends and actually having a social life, lol. Definately keep us updated on how you like the mid week carb spike.

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
I hear ya bro! I have used the same setup while bulking on this diet in the past. It is very nice to be able to unwind on the weekend and have a few beers and fulfill those food cravings! And my girlfriend totally got used to us going out to restaurants on the weekends and actually having a social life, lol. Definately keep us updated on how you like the mid week carb spike.
I will. I've actually had success losing BF with this plan even though my weight isn't really changing. In early July I used an electronic BF% tester and was 24.3% at around 265-270 pounds. Last week I was 22.4% on the same test and was the same weight.

Botch

Botch

Awards
  • Established
I often receive PM's related to cyclic diets. Many of the questions I receive are the same and it seems that if all the information was compiled into a single thread it would be easier for everyone. I'm glad Rugger has taken the initiative to start this thread so I think that this is a good place for all of this information to go. Anyways, earlier today I have been communicating with Cessna via PM and I have his permission to post the message in this thread for everyone else who may have the same questions.

hey botch i came to you because you have knowledge on this subject i hope you dont mind helping me a little bit on some doubts that i have and if you can give some advices that will be great.

1) first i been reading about the carb load day and im unsure how many grams per LBM do i have to take assuming im doing 24 hours only.
Well to be honest it would be impossible for you to achieve maximum glycogen supercompensation over a 24 hour period. I would still advise you to eat 2g of CHO per KG of LBM for the first 4 meals immediately after your depletion workout. From the second morning of your carb load forward I would just focus on eating as many CHO's as you can and keeping your macros on point.

2) do i really have to take a piece of fruit 2 hours before my depletion workout?
No, it has been my experience that this is not something you need to do. It may help you though on days when you are feeling extra sluggish. I would eat a banana before the depletion workout sometimes, but it really never made a difference for me either way. I have heard experts also comment that the high fructose meal before the depletion workout is unneccesary.

3) lets say after my depletion workout i have a scoop of whey protein with a gatorade is this sufficient or should i take something else or more liquid?
Not even. For the first 4 meals immediately following the depletion workout you should be consuming 2g of CHO per KG of LBM. Lets do the math here...for you that would mean you have 57.9 KG of LBM which would equate to 115.8g CHO every two hours. This would be closer to 2 gatorades every two hours, which is totally fine to drink by the way. The other point I want to make is that one scoop of whey protein will not suffice. Your macronutrient breakdown on the carb up should be 60/30/10 which would mean you need to be taking in ~58g of protein every two hours. Since the fat content should be 10% you will need ~7g of fat with each one of these meals as well.

4) asumming my depletion w/o ends at 7:00 pm after my post workout meal, should my dinner consist of simple carbs and how many grams from protein? if you can give me an example it will be better just to have an idea
I would attempt to get those first 4 meals I listed above in on the same night that you had your workout. This means your last meal may be as late as 1:00am. Since you are only doing a 24 hour carb load, I would opt for starchy carbs during the next "phase" (basically once you wake up the next morning until the carb load is over). And since you are only loading for 24 hours I would eat as many carbs as I could. Rice, pasta, potatoes are all good choices. Just try and keep your macros to the 60/30/10 that was proposed. You may also find in the future that you want to extend your carb load to a full 48 hours.

5) do i have to get up at the middle of the night to eat to get a better glycogen compensation? (i dont mind to do it)
Not necessarily, but I like the enthusiasm! Usually if I wake up to pee during the night I'll get in a quick meal during the carb load. This does help to keep insulin levels stable. I do have to say though, if you go to bed before 1:00am I would really try and get in those four meals on the night of the depletion workout even if you have to wake up for the last one.

6) my breakfast should still be simple carbs?

( do my meal always have to contain liquid CHO?)
(when do i move from eating HIGH-GLYCEMIC CHO to LOW GLYCEMIC CHO ASSUMING IM DOING 24 HOURS?)
As posted above, I would move to starchy carbs during the second morning of your carb load and finish it off with starchy carbs from there. If you're not eating all starchy carbs though during the second day it wouldn't be a huge deal.

7) do i have to eat every 2 or 3 hours?
Yes. Every 2 hours would be ideal.

8) what is the best period to have the "cheat" meal
I don't have cheat meals on this diet (aside from a few beers during the carb load, which won't set you back). Cheat meals will set you back a bit if you're idea of a cheat meal is high in fat and high in carbs. I tend to go into the carb up thinking that it is a huge cheat though. So I am satisfied with what I eat during the load just because I am happy to be eating carbs. If your idea of a cheat is sugary stuff then you can definately have some candy during the first day of the carb load. Also, usually by the time the high carb weekend is over I am looking forward to going back to high fat. Cheat meals for me tend to be high in fat so if I want a cheat meal then I will have something during the week that is low in carbs but still satisfies my cravings. I am also a dessert chef for an italian restaurant, and have experimented at home with different dessert recipes using sucralose instead of sugar...and let me tell you the baked goods turn out just as tasty as the real deal! It is up to you whether or not you want to have a cheat meal though. Through trial and error you will see what you can and can't "pull off" on this diet.

9) do i take my chromium, magnesium and ALA during the carb load 24 hour period?
Chromium? That one is new to me on a low carb diet. But I am surprised more people don't ask about the vitamin deficencies that can occur on this diet. As far as magnesium is concerned, you should be taking it every day along with zinc and potassium. A zinc, potassium, and magnesium supplement before bed would be a good addition (though I am not such a fan of the ZMK product that is out due to other added ingredients). Just plain ZMA and a potassium supplement (preferably a chelated version) would be good. I would also opt for 400-800IU's of vitamin E (mixed tocopherols) every day on this diet, about 500mg of vitamin C in three daily doses, and B vitamins regularly throughout the day. What I have listed here are ESSENTIAL while you're on this diet as your body is not getting the nutrients that it needs otherwise.
As far as ALA is concerned I would not mess with anything that manipulates insulin during the carb load. Your insulin sensitivity is already much altered from a normal person by the nature of the diet you are using and you don't need these things during the carb load. I will say that ALA or other variations should be used on monday morning and monday evening as well as tuesday morning to help lower blood sugar after the carb load.

10) my workout on monday and tuesday should be higher reps that i usually been doing?
Without you telling me how many reps you have been doing I cannot say. But I can say that your reps should be in the 6-8 range (about 80% of your 1RM) for the Monday and Tuesday workouts.

11) what could happen if i go more than 12 days (induction phase) and i wait lets say 24 days to do carb load do i run the risk to slow down my metabolism i ask you this because i took the ketostrips test and it came negative but assuming i been eating less that 20 carbs a day i should be burning fat for energy or not?
If you go more than 12 days your workouts may suffer and you do run the risk of slowing down your metabolism. There are nasty side effects associated with straight ketogenic diets and quite frankly I don't recommend them for anyone except in cases of VERY obese people. Ketosis is a strange thing. When you are very deep in ketosis your body is actually less efficient at burning fat. Like I said before I would not worry about the ketostrips. DiPasquale (author of the Anabolic Diet) hates talk about ketosis. If you were to do a true AD then you would not want to be in ketosis at any point in time. On the AD your blood glucose should hover around 95 throughout the entire week. Just know this, you can still burn fat efficiently without being in ketosis.

THIS ARE MY CURRENT STATS:

140lbs
bf 9%
LBM 127.4
FAT WEIGHT 12.6

im sorry for all this bunch of question but ill really appreciate if you can give me like a little guidance thanks in adnvance botch
Anytime :thumbsup:.

BTW is it cool with you if I post this up in the CK/Anabolic diet thread? I think that there are a lot of GOOD questions here that others may also have. Please let me know.

Thanks,
Botch.
-----------------------------------------------------------
This is the response from the previous PM:

hey botch ur awesome thanks for take the time to answers all this doubts.

i dont have a problem you can post those questions on the CK/Anabolic diet thread so more people can learn.

so im gonna try 24 hour period for this time just to see whats the difference between 24 and 48 hours

so as protein is concerned it dosent matter where it comes from right? IMO (whey, fish, chicken,tunna, cottage cheese, fat free milk because are lean sources am i right?
Correct. You can eat whatever you would like for protein. Err...there are some I wouldn't recommend like drinking soy protein with every meal but hey, that's just me.

ill be using this protocol for the carbs:

Substage A: Meals 1-4
2g liquid CHO/kg LBM (simple sugars or glucose polymers) PER MEAL

Substage B: Meals 5-8
1.5g liquid CHO + solid High-glycemic CHO (i.e.- corn flakes)/kg LBM PER MEAL

Substage C: Meals 9-12
0.5g solid starches + some liquid CHOs PER MEAL

so you think this can be a good example of a breakfast lets say milk and a cereal (any kind)+ eggs whittes OR pancakes+ sugar free syrup and fat free ice cream+ eggs whites (im asking you this because i have some tasty cravings of those foods :food: lol)
This looks very familiar :food:. It is the same carb up protocol that I use. Your breakfast looks very tasty and is making my mouth water. You will be just fine eating those foods during the carb up, most important thing is keeping the macro ratios in check.

as for fat ill be eating wallnuts
Good choice. This is also what I do.

also is there any problem if at any meal i go over my amount of carbs?
No, since you are only doing a 24 hour carb load you should eat as much as you can, really. Even if you were carbing up for 48 hours it wouldn't be such a big deal if you go over a bit here or there.

and since the gatorade comes with fructose and that goes directly to the liver its there any other liquid choice you can recommend?
The fructose in gatorade is a VERY small amount. I wouldn't be concerned, but I'm glad that you've done your homework :thumbsup:. It is mostly made up of simple sugars. But another good liquid CHO that you could drink during this time is waxy maise starch or maltodextrin (glucose polymers). A big tub of this can be bought at Nutraplanet for very cheap.

thanks botch
Anytime my friend.

Esox Express

Esox Express

Awards
  • Established
Thank you for that lengthy post Botch. That answered a lot of questions that I'm sure many people here, including myself, were thinking.

My question is about alcohol. If a had a few beers one night around midweek, not during my carbup, would that still be ok, assuming that I'm not eating any fats or other carbs while i'm drinking?

Botch

Botch

Awards
  • Established
Thank you for that lengthy post Botch. That answered a lot of questions that I'm sure many people here, including myself, were thinking.

My question is about alcohol. If a had a few beers one night around midweek, not during my carbup, would that still be ok, assuming that I'm not eating any fats or other carbs while i'm drinking?
The only problem I can see, as long as you are drinking an alcoholic beverage low in carbs is that it may screw with your T/E ratios. I wouldn't recommend it, however I can't say that I haven't done it myself at one time or another. Now, if you only have a couple drinks during the week on occasion you will be just fine, but if you're drinking several nights a week then it may become a problem. I would save my beer drinking for the weekends 99% of the time but if there was a social event that I attended during the week I may put back a brew or two with the guys. However, this is something I would do very occasionally and since we are all working hard on this diet to better ourselves anyways I think it is good to restrain yourself from alcohol. Especially because you are already okay to have a couple during the carb up, which is plenty IMO.

The good news is that this diet is GREAT for a hangover, lol. Have you ever wondered why you crave greezy a** foods the morning after a night of heavy drinking? Then, when you eat a bunch (like a huge McDonalds meal) you feel like shlt? The rise in insulin you receive from that meal is the reason you feel like shlt after eating. Your body just went through a night of feeling great as you were drunk and once you give it that little pick-me-up of insulin it wants more. But on this diet you will not be getting an insulin rise after a night of drinking so you will not have such a problem with hangovers. WARNING: I do not condone ANYONE to abuse alcohol. I am just stating this to spread the knowledge.

Last edited:
ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
Very important not to get in too much alcohol. It can inhibit fat oxidation.

Esox Express

Esox Express

Awards
  • Established
Ok thanks guys. I usually take it pretty easy anyway, It's just that if one of my buddies offers me a beer and I say "no thanks, I'm on a diet"...... well you can imagine what they say.

Botch

Botch

Awards
  • Established
Hahaha yeah I get where you're coming from Esox. You may find that saying "no thanks" is enough and then you don't have to go into any sort of explanation.

Botch

Botch

Awards
  • Established
Very important not to get in too much alcohol. It can inhibit fat oxidation.
Yes this is true. If you're "dieting down" per se it is not a good idea to include alcohol in your diet. Just for the shear fact that you have extra calories to burn in the form of alcohol (which the body burns before anything else), so during that time your body is not burning fat. And to top it off you are giving your body calories that don't have any nutritional value when you are already in a caloric defecit. If you are going to eat the extra calories it might as well be from real food with some nutritional value.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
Ok thanks guys. I usually take it pretty easy anyway, It's just that if one of my buddies offers me a beer and I say "no thanks, I'm on a diet"...... well you can imagine what they say.
Yeah I understand. Been in the same situation. If "No i'm dieting" doesn't work, I hit usually hit them with the "Not during training". And if they persist I invite them to do my routine in the gym.

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
Question:

How do these macros look for the Anabolic Diet? I'm 6'4 265-270, depending on the day of the week. I'm looking to recomp/slowly lose fat.

grams calories %total
Total 3453
Protein 344 1376 39.85%
Carbs 40 160 4.63%
Fiber 19 76 2.2%
Sugar 15 60 1.74%
Fat 213 1917 55.52%
Sat 48 432 12.51%
Poly 58 522 15.12%
Mono 105 945 27.37%

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
what supps are ok to use while on this diet? specifically, can i effectively use a test-freeing supp, or are the pathways for its delivery messed with on this rollercoaster of a diet?

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
One thing about CKD is that it may slow thyroid a bit on the low carb days, so maybe use Venom or something with Tyrosine and Gugglestones to keep it running optimally. ALso get plenty of cardio and weight training in.