1. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.

wheaties

is it the real breakfast of champions?

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.

it's actually, all kidding aside, a hell of a part of a good breakfast. Has good fiber and nutrients, and while it's complex, it still moves through you to break the fast at a good speed. A big bowl of that with milk and a chopped up banana with a protein drink to wash it all down is a great breakfast (if wanting to gain body mass more than wanting to 'cut').
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.

good ****, thanks that was the answer i was looking for
    •   

4. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.

Grape Nuts are good, too.
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  206 lbs.

i actually prefer fruity pebbles. its rich in taste
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.

All Bran/Raisin Bran are my cereals of choice when in a bind or just want a quick carb fix.
  7. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  198 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by poison View Post
    Grape Nuts are good, too.
    by "good" he is not referring to flavor.
  8. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.

I swear by porridge for the last.. oh probably 6+ years. If I'm in a rush I use oatbran, or steel-cut oats if I've got time.

I just never was a cereal fan. The way it swims around in the milk, nah. I like some solid bone-sticking porridge
  9. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by rolandajoint View Post
    i actually prefer fruity pebbles. its rich in taste
    hahaha fruity pebbles, new breakfast of champions
  10. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I am skeptical on this one... I don't think Wheaties are a very good source of nutrition. Cereals in general really.
    Mind and Muscle Board Representative I am not a physician and any advice is solely based on personal experience with various products
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  225 lbs.

Wheaties are fine if mixed with some fat and protein.

I like the Kashi GoLEAN Crunch!...

serv. - 1c
    cal - 200
    fat - 4.5 [4 being mono and poly uns.]
    carb. - 36
    fiber - 8
    protein - 9
  12. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by ShakesAllDay View Post
    Wheaties are fine if mixed with some fat and protein.

I like the Kashi GoLEAN Crunch!...

serv. - 1c
    cal - 200
    fat - 4.5 [4 being mono and poly uns.]
    carb. - 36
    fiber - 8
    protein - 9
    Sugar, Salt, Corn syrup... damn there is 4 grams of sugar in a 27 gram serving. That's close to 15% added sugar! You'd be better off eating the box.
    Mind and Muscle Board Representative I am not a physician and any advice is solely based on personal experience with various products
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by DreamWeaver View Post
    Sugar, Salt, Corn syrup... damn there is 4 grams of sugar in a 27 gram serving. That's close to 15% added sugar! You'd be better off eating the box.
    4g... better run and hide.

This is not a perfect world in which we live. We must pick and choose our battles.
  14. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.

yah but there's oatmeal and it tastes great...
  15. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  225 lbs.

yah but there's oatmeal and it tastes great...
    Werd. I love oatmeal. What do you flavor your oatmeal with?
  16. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

Depends.. Do you want a high GI carb? Is this for post workout or something?
  17. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by ShakesAllDay View Post
    Werd. I love oatmeal. What do you flavor your oatmeal with?
    I just use a scoop of protien in about 2/3 of a cup of skim milk.

Unpasturized honey really rocks too...

I've heard of people using molasses too... I haven't tried it.

I let my son use unsweetened apple sauce and cinnimon... I was feeling generous.
  18. Board Moderator
    Unbreakable

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

To the OP: thread moved to the appropriate forum.
  19. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  225 lbs.

I just use a scoop of protien in about 2/3 of a cup of skim milk.

Unpasturized honey really rocks too...

I've heard of people using molasses too... I haven't tried it.

I let my son use unsweetened apple sauce and cinnimon... I was feeling generous.
    Milk? Honey? Didn't you just harp on "sugar"?
  20. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.

Skim milk and honey are not sugar...honey is glucose not a simple sugar, skim milk has next to no sugar in it at all.
  21. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'6"   lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveoph View Post
    I swear by porridge for the last.. oh probably 6+ years. If I'm in a rush I use oatbran, or steel-cut oats if I've got time.

I just never was a cereal fan. The way it swims around in the milk, nah. I like some solid bone-sticking porridge
    I'd eat more hot cereals if I wasn't so lazy for the first 3 hours upon waking. I feel the microwave is evil when it comes to nutrition, which only leaves the stove, etc.
  22. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  225 lbs.

Skim milk and honey are not sugar...honey is glucose not a simple sugar, skim milk has next to no sugar in it at all.
    um...

Every milk product I've seen has ~12g of sugar (lactose) per cup...

"Lactose is a disaccharide that consists of β-D-galactose and β-D-glucose fragments bonded through a β1-4 glycosidic linkage."

Lactose - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And honey...

"Honey gets its sweetness from the monosaccharides fructose and glucose"

Honey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not trying to e-argue or anything. I just find it odd that you snubbed the sugar in cereal, yet defend the sugar in honey and milk.

Honestly, I eat it ALL!

:bruce1:
  23. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.

You can't compare fructose to the sugar they put in cereals. Glucose and Fructose are simple sugars you're right I got it backwards it's complex sugars that are bad like sugar itself is sucrose made of of two simple sugars. (glucose and fructose).
  24. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.

I wouldn't sweat the 4g of sugars in Kashi, what I would sweat is the protein source; Darned Soy!

As for flavouring your oatmeal, lots of good tricks I've used over the years. For spices: Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Allspice and Cardamon
    Others: Berries or A bit of Raspberry Crystal Light. Also a vanilla/berry protein powder works too.

It may sound crazy, but chocolate protein powder + cocoa powder makes an awesome bowl of porridge. It's like eating a bowl of melted chocolate if done right.
  25. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  225 lbs.

Honestly, I wouldn't sweat any of it. It's all too minimal to worry about, IMO. I get burnt out when I start micro-managing every single thing, ya know. So, I stick to basics and it is working well. Of course, if you are really serious (like want to get on stage), then this may be of concern.

So, yeah, eat your cereal and oats. Just don't smother the stuff in sugar or other carb-laden sweeteners.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveoph View Post
    I wouldn't sweat the 4g of sugars in Kashi, what I would sweat is the protein source; Darned Soy!

As for flavouring your oatmeal, lots of good tricks I've used over the years. For spices: Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Allspice and Cardamon
    Others: Berries or A bit of Raspberry Crystal Light. Also a vanilla/berry protein powder works too.

It may sound crazy, but chocolate protein powder + cocoa powder makes an awesome bowl of porridge. It's like eating a bowl of melted chocolate if done right.
  26. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.

Yah like you said pick your battles, it's just that I don't trust processed foods much. Cereals are one of the area's of concern for me.

I believe in keeping your diet fairly clean and if you start to go nuts have a treat. Some treats are better than others though. I try to keep almonds and dates around for such an occasion and I have the odd low carb protein bar. I will also sometimes eat a small portion of gelato for a treat as well. I just keep my everyday food fairly clean. I advize trainees to do the same.
  27. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  222 lbs.

whole grain smart start, but oatmeal is the way to go in the mornings
  28. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  206 lbs.

1 cup oatmeal with 2 servings of brown sugar (8g), the bomb, no doubt. and i agree with shakes on this, lets face it, most of us arent pros. we can spare 10 g of sugar.
  29. Advanced Member

Yah like you said pick your battles, it's just that I don't trust processed foods much. Cereals are one of the area's of concern for me.

I believe in keeping your diet fairly clean and if you start to go nuts have a treat. Some treats are better than others though. I try to keep almonds and dates around for such an occasion and I have the odd low carb protein bar. I will also sometimes eat a small portion of gelato for a treat as well. I just keep my everyday food fairly clean. I advize trainees to do the same.
    Speaking of Gelato, I just recently tried some for the first time on vacation. Holy sh!t! Tastes awesome. I hadn't ever heard of it before. The place was cool too because their scoop size was really small in portion.

Tiramasu (sp?) is amazing!
  30. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by KingMeso View Post
    Speaking of Gelato, I just recently tried some for the first time on vacation. Holy sh!t! Tastes awesome. I hadn't ever heard of it before. The place was cool too because their scoop size was really small in portion.

Tiramasu (sp?) is amazing!
    yah it's good stuff and most places use small portions. I have about 10 gelato places within walking distance from where I live. I live in Old Montreal which is kind of a tourist area. I am pretty good at avoiding temptation but sometimes on the weekend I treat myself (I earned it.)