How often can one eat red meat w/o adverse effects?

bLacKjAck.

bLacKjAck.

Lift Heavy
Awards
  • Established
I know there are tons of different varying opinions with my trainers and I wanted to hear what you guys think. Supposedly, it takes red meat 72 hours to digest in your system, therefore making it a bad decision to eat anymore frequently than every 3 days.

What say ye?

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Interesting, I've honestly never heard it takes 72 hours to digest. Corn-fed steaks don't sit well with me, and so I haven't eaten much red meat lately but do you have any links re: the 72 hour thing? Haven't come across this is all my studies/research.

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
hummmmmmmmmmmmmmm

always heard some crap like this, no idea

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
I love red meat. If I could afford to, I'd eat it every day.

I've heard that hewey about red meat staying in your colon for 10 years or some non-sense. And I'm sure if you didn't eat any fiber, ever, then that could be a possibility.

Considering that most people on here (assuming) eat a diet that has adequate amounts of fiber therein (35+g/day), I don't see it being an issue. Then again, I'm biased and could be completely wrong. I'm definately interested in hearing from the nutrition experts about this.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
In a healthy stomach/GI tract, the bile would be able to break down red meat much faster than 72 hours. That being said, most people do not have a healthy GI tract and do not consume enough fiber and/or alkalinic foods.

bLacKjAck.

bLacKjAck.

Lift Heavy
Awards
  • Established
In a healthy stomach/GI tract, the bile would be able to break down red meat much faster than 72 hours. That being said, most people do not have a healthy GI tract and do not consume enough fiber and/or alkalinic foods.
Thats really where I am at. 72 hrs is not across the board. I would say maybe once a day for a bodybuilder would be a good happy medium...

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
I eat one Healthy Choice sliced Roast Beef sandwich EVERY day and I never seem to be "backed up" or having any GI issues b/c of it. Now a hamburger or some other type of very fatty beef might be a diff. story. I know it is with me, I haven't eaten a hamburger from a fast food place in over 4 years b/c of they always gave me huge digestion problems. And then there are always the many other reasons not to eat that junk lol. But I think lean beef, once a day is absolutely fine. Moderation friend.

BUCKNUTS

BUCKNUTS

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
there are some variables with digestion of red meat such as fat content of the meat, age and gi health of the person consuming etc. No one has undigested food for years you would be septic that's nonsense. I eat red meat everyday and I have a bowel movement at least once a day but I take digestive enzymes and get plenty of fiber and water daily.