Quinoa say what????

1. Gate Keeper
    Answers

Quinoa say what????

Ok thought I would post up some info on my beloved friend Quinoa. Most are probably like what the hell is quinoa. Well it's natures little gift to us in a small grain with about 2x's the amount of protein per serving then milk. I've been playing around with this and I have to say I really enjoy the taste and there are a ton of recipes out there for using it with other foods. Anyway I copy and pasted a little info that will explain what it is a little better. If you want more info google it and there is a ton of it.

"The quinoa seed is high in protein, calcium and iron, a relatively good source of vitamin E and several of the B vitamins. It contains an almost perfect balance of all eight essential amino acids needed for tissue development in humans. It is exceptionally high in lysine, cystine and methionine-amino acids typically low in other grains. It is a good complement for legumes, which are often low in methionine and cystine. The protein in quinoa is considered to be a complete protein due to the presence of all 8 essential amino acids. Some types of wheat come close to matching quinoa's protein content, but grains such as barley, corn, and rice generally have less than half the protein of quinoa. Quinoa is 12% to 18% protein and four ounces a day, about 1/2-cup, will provide a childs protein needs for one day. The 6-7% fat of quinoa is relatively high when compared to other grains, but it boasts a low sodium content and also provides valuable starch and fiber. Quinoa also contains albumen, a protein that is found in egg whites, blood serum, and many plant and animal tissues. The seeds are gluten-free which makes this a nutritious and flavorful alternative grain for those with gluten sensitivity. Quinoa would be a worthy addition to anyone's diet, supplying variety as well as good nutrition. The seed is also excellent feed for birds and poultry and the plant itself is good forage for cattle."

2. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

What is the best way to prep this? I have tried several ways and, each time, it has come out unpalatable.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  181 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    What is the best way to prep this? I have tried several ways and, each time, it has come out unpalatable.
    Yea mine comes out like crap! As well! Every time....
    •   

4. Gate Keeper
    Answers

Depends on what you want to make it with but here's a link to check out. I follow the recipe on it and it usually comes out fine. There are a few recipes on it for quinoa so try em out. How To Cook Quinoa, Quinoa Tips, Basic Quinoa Recipe, Savvy Vegetarian Recipes
  5. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

I find that making it in a rice maker and tossing a packet of goya sazon in with it works pretty well.
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  6. Registered User
    Answers

ive looked for this stuff in like 3 differnt stores, i can never find it
  7. Registered User
    Answers

Quinoa is good stuff. I just boil it up like rice, awesome substitute for when brown rice gets boring.
  8. Gate Keeper
    Answers

Yeah that's kind of the way I use it. I'll make it then mix it with some spices and ground turkey. It's packed with protein so I don't need to eat tons and tons of it to hit my mark for protein. On the flipside it's great for bulking because it's an easy way to load up the protein and cals if you want to.

I get my at a local health food/organic store. Whole foods probably has it if you have one near you.
  9. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'7"  270 lbs.
    Answers

i cook mine like rice after soaking it for about 20 minutes.. add some salsa to it and it tastes great.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE STRONGEST ON THE MARKET
    http://www.nutraplanet.com/manufacturer/advanced-muscle-science/
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  176 lbs.
    Answers

i love quinoa. the brand i've been getting is called inca red.
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"   lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    I find that making it in a rice maker and tossing a packet of goya sazon in with it works pretty well.
    goya sazon? tu eres un latino, o gringo intellegente?
  12. Registered User
    Answers

heat them in a pan till they pop like popcorn
    and make like risoto or porrage
    could add some middle eastern / Indian spices and make couscous
    mix with wild rice throw an egg on top
  13. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwanderer View Post
    goya sazon? tu eres un latino, o gringo intellegente?
    gringo that married in but had a taste for it beforehand. florida is close to the carribean, so a lot of carribean culture here
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"   lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    gringo that married in but had a taste for it beforehand. florida is close to the carribean, so a lot of carribean culture here
    yeah I'm in the same situation, my girlfriend is venezuelan and we live here in jupiter, fl.
  15. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

my wife was born and raised in puerto rico, came to florida when she was 14 I think it was
    This space for rent

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Quinoa bursting with ecdysteroids
    By MAxximal in forum Supplements
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-14-2011, 05:57 PM
  2. Anyone familiar with Quinoa?
    By bikeswimlive in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-27-2010, 08:46 AM
  3. Quinoa in Microwave?
    By lennoxchi in forum Nutrition / Health