is it ok to drink 1 day a week?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. pdigs

werewrewrew

ewrewrwerewrew

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.

Yes. 1-2 days a week will hamper you gains tremendously (beyond belief if your waking up with a hangover every time). Reduced protein synthesis and dehydration at the top of the list (a long list) as to why I limit any alcohol to beyond rare. If you have to drink to the point of "drunk status" I would say keep it to a max of once a month and never if you are really serious about gains (but that is an extreme).
  3. pdigs

wefwewefw
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.

you're fine then. LIVE, go and LIVE for all of those who are not fine with themselves yet! we'd all LOVE a drink!!!!!
  5. Professional Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manimalia View Post
    you're fine then. LIVE, go and LIVE for all of those who are not fine with themselves yet! we'd all LOVE a drink!!!!!
    lol after all that hard work if it were me i would NEVER touch a beer/alcohol. It kills your lifts/intesnsity for 2 weeks after one good night. Thats like one step forward 4 steps back.
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Cellardude View Post
    lol after all that hard work if it were me i would NEVER touch a beer/alcohol. It kills your lifts/intesnsity for 2 weeks after one good night. Thats like one step forward 4 steps back.
    hardly, m'friend. this man is looking to maintain something that took a long time to build. if he still hits the gym, it's totally doable to maintain. people do it every day. and not to mention, this man may not look like a bb'er. he may just be in decent shape and happy with it.

p.s.-that woman in your avatar is.......hypnotizing. i don't know why, but i just stare for about 10 seconds each time i see it.
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'6"   lbs.

I'll have to agree with OCCfan here. on special occasions I wouldn't hold it against myself, but anything more often than once every couple of months is just slapping yourself in the face. Mani's right, it's ok to live a little, but I'd have to call bs on anyone using that as an excuse to get plastered every weekend. I would rather see you drink a couple brews with your meals 2 or three nights a week
    than get plastered once a week.
  8. Advanced Member

I was going to type out a big long thing, but I can sum it up with "alcohol greatly inhibits gains (whether cutting or bulking)". I can back that up first hand.
  9. JDF
    Advanced Member

if your not looking to BB and just want to look good then have a few beers but dont over do it

If your looking to BB then I would limit drinks like everyone has mentioned
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"   lbs.

If you are getting a hangover, then whether you're a bodybuilder or simply maintaining, it isn't doing your body any good.

A couple of drinks, is no problem and in fact may help some people sleep better and de-stress a bit. But those who are accustomed to getting hammered won't limit their consumption to just a couple.

it's taken me two years to be able to control my drinking to once a week on Sundays with a couple glasses of wine at dinner time.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.

It's ok to go out and let off some steam with friends. Just don't overdo it is my recommendation. What's the point of getting so plastered you can't function and need other people to help you walk? I've been in that position before. Had 3 shots and 13 beers within a few hours. It was fun, but it did more harm to me than good because my intensity was temporarily diminished and I definitely noticed loss of strength even a few days after the fact. Personally, I get more satisfaction out of success in the gym and with my body than with going out and getting hammered and crap.

But this doesn't mean you're not allowed to have a social life. Go out and have a drink or two. But make those drinks last for a while so you're constantly sipping on something. This way you don't feel out of the loop if you're with friends and you're controlling your drinking within reasonable limits. Make sure you eat if anything and your net loss shouldn't be very significant at all. Just remember if you're serious about BB'ing you're not gaining anything either from the experience. Still, if you're not specifically training for a show at any particular time where you must be totally and religiously dedicated, then you really have nothing to lose.
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  217 lbs.

Which one is better?

Personally I hate having a couple of drinks here and there during the night, no benefit IMO. I would much rather take a night..and really drink. However I usually only do this...once or twice a month.
  13. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.

dude and i quote "everything in moderation is ok"
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by cokeholio View Post
    dude and i quote "everything in moderation is ok"
    In that case!

**starts to pour a gram bag on to a mirror**

ahah
  15. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.

lol key word is moderation i dont know if illegal things fall in that though just some wise thing an old customer of mine told me.
  16. JDF
    Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by OCCFan023 View Post
    In that case!

ahah
    that for PreWO??

17. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by JDF View Post
    that for PreWO??

thats the pre night out Baby!
  18. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.

Not to deviate to much from the original topic but 40mins of cardio and 2 hours of lifting a day I serious overkill if you are just trying to maintain. You are putting a lot of stress on your system there and alcohol will hinder it ability to recover greatly. The everything in moderation works for both drinking and exercise. Now blow on the other hand, just go ballz to the wallz with that.
    Muscle Pharm Rep
  19. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

I would definitely recommend 1-2 servings of alcohol every day/night over getting wasted even one night a week. I don't see the need to get wasted, but that's just me.
    Freedom means nothing here.
  20. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by pmiller383 View Post
    Not to deviate to much from the original topic but 40mins of cardio and 2 hours of lifting a day I serious overkill if you are just trying to maintain. You are putting a lot of stress on your system there and alcohol will hinder it ability to recover greatly. The everything in moderation works for both drinking and exercise. Now blow on the other hand, just go ballz to the wallz with that.
    Damn... I guess I misread that... 40 mins of cardio per day and 2 hours of lifting per day?

Bro, you should look into a dictionary and find the word intensity... then get some.
  21. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.

Pdigs i understand where you are coming from being a college student myself. I keep myself to one night a week getting drunk. I always drink half a gallonof water before bed, and have protein rich meal bfore as well. Then i set my alarm a few times during the night and drink h2o so the gallon is gone by the time i wake up. And although i do feel the effects the next day, i think they are greatly reduced and i dont see any real drawbacks in my strength or appearance thereafter.
  22. pdigs

Quote Originally Posted by Force of Green View Post
    Damn... I guess I misread that... 40 mins of cardio per day and 2 hours of lifting per day?

Bro, you should look into a dictionary and find the word intensity... then get some.
    u need to look up the word endurance, detication, patience. years of working out and u can get both intensity and last.
  23. pdigs

Quote Originally Posted by cjbadboy View Post
    Pdigs i understand where you are coming from being a college student myself. I keep myself to one night a week getting drunk. I always drink half a gallonof water before bed, and have protein rich meal bfore as well. Then i set my alarm a few times during the night and drink h2o so the gallon is gone by the time i wake up. And although i do feel the effects the next day, i think they are greatly reduced and i dont see any real drawbacks in my strength or appearance thereafter.
    this is pretty much the same thing i do. i havnt noticed any drawbacks either the last few years... maybe slower progress, but no setbacks. im sure my progress could of been better without but still i burned both ends of the stick for a long time and still looked good. getting older now though so ill take some advice and cut it out
  24. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  178 lbs.

I agree with you guys.

Almost anything in moderation is okay, and when you earn a drink, cheat meal, etc... it is sooo much better! drinking that often will only hinder results, besides it being hollow calories, it will slow progress.

Also 40min of cardio & 2 hours of lifting EVERYDAY sounds kinda loco, unless u take really long breaks between sets or something? I used to lift for 2 hours when i first began, and i was doing 2 body parts together with 4-5 lifts per bodypart, so chest and back day was like 8-10 lifts and 4 sets on each usually. But now my workouts are 5x a week, for 1 hour or just over an hour of very quick and intense training. I think the muscles progress better that way personally.
  25. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by pdigs View Post
    u need to look up the word endurance, detication, patience. years of working out and u can get both intensity and last.
    Hahaha. Yeah you're right pdigs. I'll do that right now.
  26. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  190 lbs.

Drinkers

Drinking alcohol in excess is never a good idea. With that said, there is no problem with having an occasional drink now and then, just remember that moderation is best! Something else to keep in mind: Alcohol has NO nutritional value whatsoever and in fact contains 7 calories/gram. Google alcohol and nutrition for more info.
  27. pdigs

Hahaha. Yeah you're right pdigs. I'll do that right now.
    my point exactly
  28. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.

Personally, I say drinking 1 day a week is going to be better for your physique than having a few drinks a couple times a week. Basically, when you drink your body's process' focus completely on metabolizing the alcohol, so any food you consume is going to be stored, not used for energy. So pretty much every time the bottle touches your lips calorie burning is halted.
  29. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.

as to why I limit any alcohol to beyond rare. If you have to drink to the point of "drunk status" I would say keep it to a max of once a month and never if you are really serious about gains (but that is an extreme).
    OCCFan, aren't you only 19? You're not allowed to drink yet!
  30. pdigs

Quote Originally Posted by ptdanny View Post
    I agree with you guys.

Almost anything in moderation is okay, and when you earn a drink, cheat meal, etc... it is sooo much better! drinking that often will only hinder results, besides it being hollow calories, it will slow progress.

Also 40min of cardio & 2 hours of lifting EVERYDAY sounds kinda loco, unless u take really long breaks between sets or something? I used to lift for 2 hours when i first began, and i was doing 2 body parts together with 4-5 lifts per bodypart, so chest and back day was like 8-10 lifts and 4 sets on each usually. But now my workouts are 5x a week, for 1 hour or just over an hour of very quick and intense training. I think the muscles progress better that way personally.
    the 2 hours of lifting are split, morning and evening. the cardio is split 20min before each workout, i just added it all together. so i go 20min cardio, one bodypart....then later that evening another 20min of cardio and another bodypart. that comes out to working each bodypart twice a week, with abs every other day. so 2 times a week on each bodypart is perfect for me, but keep in mind i dont work so its easy. if i start working ill have to break it down into one workout
  31. pdigs

Quote Originally Posted by nevergoodenough View Post
    Personally, I say drinking 1 day a week is going to be better for your physique than having a few drinks a couple times a week. Basically, when you drink your body's process' focus completely on metabolizing the alcohol, so any food you consume is going to be stored, not used for energy. So pretty much every time the bottle touches your lips calorie burning is halted.
    completely agree. besides, what the hell is the point of "just a few drinks" lol. i mean im not some 50yr old dad sippin back a few glasses of merlow with my old haggy wife everynight to ease the pain of growing old
  32. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.

completely agree. besides, what the hell is the point of "just a few drinks" lol. i mean im not some 50yr old dad sippin back a few glasses of merlow with my old haggy wife everynight to ease the pain of growing old
    Nevergoodenough, don't make me pull out the damn studies on how good a serving or two of alcohol a day is for your heart and longevity.

Pdiggity, not everyone who enjoys a couple good drinks isn't a 50 year old dad easing the pain of growing old. lol. Why can't you have a couple drinks and leave it at that? You don't have to answer, because it's not about your personal preference to be a lush whenever you decide it's your drinking day. If we're talking about health factors and a solid, vital lifestyle, don't intoxicate yourself. Ever.
  33. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.

Nevergoodenough, don't make me pull out the damn studies on how good a serving or two of alcohol a day is for your heart and longevity.

Pdiggity, not everyone who enjoys a couple good drinks isn't a 50 year old dad easing the pain of growing old. lol. Why can't you have a couple drinks and leave it at that? You don't have to answer, because it's not about your personal preference to be a lush whenever you decide it's your drinking day. If we're talking about health factors and a solid, vital lifestyle, don't intoxicate yourself. Ever.

Notice, I said "for your physique". Coffee is also the number one source of anti-oxidants for Americans. Does that mean it is the best source of anti-oxidants? Man you gotta work on the whole condesending thing. You present a lot of critical viewpoints without anything constructive.
  34. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.

Enjoy life, if you like to go out and get your drink on every now and again, have at it. To get back to your inital point (that usually gets diverted from because everyone wants to be a smart ass, or a one-upper) getting tipsy one time a week is not going to make you grow man boobs, or sink your testosterone. If you are drinking, my best advice is stay away from eating a XXL pizza at 3 am.
  35. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by nevergoodenough View Post
    Notice, I said "for your physique". Coffee is also the number one source of anti-oxidants for Americans. Does that mean it is the best source of anti-oxidants? Man you gotta work on the whole condesending thing. You present a lot of critical viewpoints without anything constructive.
    I'm not condescending onto anyone... Chill holmes.

You can get results exercising and still drink now and then, I'm not going to argue that one. When you're ready to get serious about it to the point where it becomes a lifestyle and not just a few good things in a few aspects of the whole package, then the drinking stops.
  36. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  178 lbs.

ya work will definitely change your workout routine! haha

but if you have free time now, im glad your taking advantage of it, just be sure to rest well and not over train. Personally i would take a day off and not lift anything, or maybe just do cardio.

I'm not sure about your goals or current situation, but if you eat right, and lift right, it will take care of most of it, then cardio can help drop weight & burn extra calories if needed.

I agree with nevergoodenough too. Heck maybe you'll live to be 120!
  37. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by ptdanny View Post
    ya work will definitely change your workout routine! haha

but if you have free time now, im glad your taking advantage of it, just be sure to rest well and not over train. Personally i would take a day off and not lift anything, or maybe just do cardio.

I'm not sure about your goals or current situation, but if you eat right, and lift right, it will take care of most of it, then cardio can help drop weight & burn extra calories if needed.

I agree with nevergoodenough too. Heck maybe you'll live to be 120!
    Why hello PT Danny! Good to have you on the boards. I agree with taking a day or two and not lifting anything, though I believe in using that time for some recreation (not the supplement by USP Labs).
  38. pdigs

i dont think it is the actual alcohol that detours training, its definently the XXL pizza u eat drunk at 3am like neverenough said. i have noticed there is relavence to this in peoples arguments, they dont factor the poor eating habits while drunk
  39. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.

i dont think it is the actual alcohol that detours training, its definently the XXL pizza u eat drunk at 3am like neverenough said. i have noticed there is relavence to this in peoples arguments, they dont factor the poor eating habits while drunk
    Some people can recovery from a night of getting lit up better than others... and people like me will lay in bed the entire next day telling everyone else to get lost
  40. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.

In that case!

ahah
    does this have any bad effects on the body like how alcohol does?....just wondering
    cuz i felt WEAK on my next workout after a GOOD night
    hehe
    o n btw i dont do this that much...it was a rare reoccurence of past bad habits that friends sometimes manage to lure me into:P..

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-16-2009, 08:38 PM
  2. Pleasantly Suprised (another Epistane review week by week)
    By TrainrNTexas3 in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-04-2009, 06:20 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-10-2007, 02:30 AM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-08-2005, 10:30 PM