too many carbs?!?!

drummaboyzl

drummaboyzl

Awards
  • Established
im trying to keep a 40/40/20 diet but i keep getting way too many carbs...i end up more like a 50/35/15. is this too many carbs or am i fine?

im trying to put on 10 lbs of lbm if that matters.

boxmeman

boxmeman

Awards
  • Established
im trying to keep a 40/40/20 diet but i keep getting way too many carbs...i end up more like a 50/35/15. is this too many carbs or am i fine?

lol you look as if you def need the carbs....if that helps!

BigKrabbe

BigKrabbe

Awards
  • Established
I'm sure your fine bro, 50/35/15 isn't bad and at least your tracking your diet.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established

For some 50 would be way to high, for others it is perfectly fine. Its all about how your body responds to it. Just because 40/40/20 works for some maybe you may work better at 50% carbs. Just watch how well your gains come and if you start adding too much fat then drop the carbs (or even the overall calories if you are abnormally over maintenance calories)

drummaboyzl

drummaboyzl

Awards
  • Established
well i can still take in about 500 cals at the end of the day and not even exceed the amount of cals i need a day to stay the same weight. but i keep about a 50% carb intake and thats retaining myself from eating alot of things i typically would. since ive started this diet i feel like im realocating my weight...my waist is getting smaller but my neck/shoulder area is looking bigger....maybe im just seeing things? idk, somebody said something to me about it and kinda made me look. anyways, thanks for the support guys

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
you mean 2500 cals and not exceed your daily requirements? Taking measurements is very helpful to gauge progress as well.

drummaboyzl

drummaboyzl

Awards
  • Established
you mean 2500 cals and not exceed your daily requirements? Taking measurements is very helpful to gauge progress as well.
i meant 500 more. cuz im supposed to take in 2800 a day to keep my same weight. but i only take in about 2200 cuz i consume soooo many carbs

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
I thought you were trying to put on 10 pounds of lbm? just because your taking in 50% carbs at well below your maintenance levels doesn't mean you will gain mass. A calorie deficit is still a calorie deficit.

drummaboyzl

drummaboyzl

Awards
  • Established
so i should jump up to 3k cals and keep it at 50/35/15 and i should be fine right?

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
so i should jump up to 3k cals and keep it at 50/35/15 and i should be fine right?
yea thats the only way your are gonna gain mass..is by eating more then you are burning

drummaboyzl

drummaboyzl

Awards
  • Established
how do u build and tone at the same time then? im not going to do it, im going to build....then tone. but how would u do that?

drummaboyzl

drummaboyzl

Awards
  • Established
and i guess a problem that im having with eating like i should to be gaining is i spent 2 months to drop 15 lbs and eating alot just puts it in my head that im going to get fat again :-s

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
and i guess a problem that im having with eating like i should to be gaining is i spent 2 months to drop 15 lbs and eating alot just puts it in my head that im going to get fat again :-s
yea it can be hard...but you have to just man up sometimes and realize that it will happen. If you eat clean enough and bust it in the gym fat gain should stay at a minimum. Just make sure not to just go eating all out just stay about 500kcal above maintenance and you should gain well with out putting on too much fat if any.

drummaboyzl

drummaboyzl

Awards
  • Established
yea it can be hard...but you have to just man up sometimes and realize that it will happen. If you eat clean enough and bust it in the gym fat gain should stay at a minimum. Just make sure not to just go eating all out just stay about 500kcal above maintenance and you should gain well with out putting on too much fat if any.
thanks. would 2x protein shakes a day work for the extra cals and protein? or should i stick to whole food?

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
thanks. would 2x protein shakes a day work for the extra cals and protein? or should i stick to whole food?
try to get as much from whole foods as you can. With that said life is not always perfect or easy and if you have trouble fitting in a whole food meal then some protein shakes would be ok, just try to get as much as you can from whole food. If you are gonna have a protein shake at least make it like a MRP by adding either fruit, oats, pb, etc.

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
When I started eating 4,000 calories a day, I put on 10lbs in 6weeks. There was some fat gain, but I was eating 600 carbs. My deadlift went from 355lbs to 475lbs though. I'm not gonna argue with those numbers. My squat also jumped about a good 60lbs. My protein would hit about 250-300g and my fat was well over 100g. Lots of EVOO to boost testosterone. After my cutting, I'm freaking pumped to start eating again. I just need to limit my bad carb intake to keep my abs.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Try to keep protein intake to around your workouts and the rest of the day whole foods. Powders are great for quick protein fixes (example following training and prior) but if you rely on it for the majority of your protein your gains will suffer.

drummaboyzl

drummaboyzl

Awards
  • Established
right now without taking anything im getting about 130g of protein. i need about 190g. im lookin to take about 60g a day 30 pre WO 30 post WO. see if theres any cals in there. i might just keep a jar of PB with me in my car and put it on crackers or celery....

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Yea thats fine. 30 pre/post (or even 45 if you need extra calories) with 60-90 grams of complex carbs are very solid meals. Careful with the PB in the car, that stuff needs to be refrigerated...