NIGHT time protein

rhynoflex

Awards
I drink a protein shake before bed everynight and I wanted to know what wud be the best to drink...I either drink ON or a lean body but i was thinking about Dymatize ELite 12 hour....let me know what you guys think....thanks

Hoopie

Hoopie

Awards
You want a good casein protein. That way you get slow absorbtion while you sleep

ashe555

ashe555

Awards
try cottage cheese(low fat),and any good casein protein...
it's slow digesting...so obviously the best for night

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
casien + fiber

ON 100% casien + bulk psyllium husk is what I use some nights.

If I'm just looking to stay nitrogen positive I chose Xtend(bcaas) and fiber. Either way I feel full before bed.

Aeternitatis

Aeternitatis

Awards
  • Established
I go for Ultra Peptide.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
2 cups of non fat milk with a scoop of whey. I didn't like ON's casein.

maynehood171

Awards
  • Established
I'm glad Fiber was now put in muscle milk...less clogging me up!

rhynoflex

Awards
is ultra peptide by xtreme formulations? I got dymatize elite 12 hour protein for now

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established

anapolack2

Awards
add a few slices of some sliced turkey/jerky/tuna or something with your casien shake.......and a lil olive oil or something it will slow absorption to a crawl

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
I don't believe in drinking casein before bed anymore.
Can you expand on this? Either on here or in pm, I'm curious.

Ziquor

Ziquor

Awards
  • Established
I like Probolic-SR. It doesn't have the best taste but I stopped drinking protein for taste long ago. It has high amounts of casein in it. When I mix up my workouts or change/add exercises sometimes I'll get slightly sore the next morning but after I started using Probolic before bed (2 scoops) I'm never sore the next day after a change. I usually eat a small serving of cottage cheese with it too. But any of the 12 hour claims are plain BS. Casein digests in 5-7 hours but never takes longer than 7 so the 12 hour claims are crazy.

rhynoflex

Awards
the only reason i dont like probolic is cuz its main protein source is from soy. I read that somehwere that soy lowers testosterone in men

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
I read that somehwere that soy lowers testosterone in men
It's been disproven w/ science. I would find the study but I am lazy.

Ziquor

Ziquor

Awards
  • Established
They did an analysis on P-SR and the majority of protein in Probolic (65%) is Casein. It also has Whey & Soy in it to a lesser extent but I'm not sure exactly how much of each of those.

Ziquor

Ziquor

Awards
  • Established
Well, basically I don't think you should be digesting your food all night long. There are other things the body needs to do while sleeping. Here is another thread in which I express my opinion,

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplements/77484-casein-pre-bed.html
That's a great thread T. I read somewhere else also that the body produces a majority of HGH/IGF during sleep & having food/protein in your gut digesting can actually blunt the production of GH during sleep. So no slow digesting protein before bed = more HGH.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
yea i feel people put too much effort into just drinking down a protein shake the minute before bed. I eat a whole food meal about 2 hours before i go to bed and i get more restful sleep nowadays.

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
Mix a 1/2 scoop-1 scoop protein with 1 cup of cotage cheese, and some milled flaxseed. It's surprisingly pleasent, the protein mixes right in.

cessna

cessna

Awards
but i have read so many times that when you go more than 3 hours without eating your body start to burn muscle and you store fat.....so its bad to eat a cup of cottage cheesse along with a tbsp of peanut butter and EAA? or its better just to take EAA before bed?

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
a lot of people advocate a powder with casein in it. that's fine, if you got the cash. if you do have that cash...pick ON casein. it's good for the price. but if you don't, pick up the bulkiest tub of cottage cheese you can find, homie (better in my opinion. i advocate whole foods as much as possible, though).

anapolack2

Awards
It's been disproven w/ science. I would find the study but I am lazy.
i think the old study said it mimicked estrogen not lowered test..................either way its amino profile aint as good as whey and wpc is shown to possibly elevate igf levels slightly
soy shouldnt hurt you if on any androgens and if thats all you can afford its better than nothing

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
i edited this post. i mentioned a supp company that wasn't on this board. is that allowed?

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
you can use casein powder if you have the cash. and if not, my friend, you can use cottage cheese! which is better because it's whole food, and i love whole food over any shake.

cessna

cessna

Awards
so its not bad to have a cuo of cottage cheees along with a tbsp on peanut butter and amino acids?>

cessna

cessna

Awards
hey manimalia how you did with the anabolic diet? do you recomend that diet to fat loss?

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
so its not bad to have a cuo of cottage cheees along with a tbsp on peanut butter and amino acids?>
Perfectly fine, you could also check out some of the board sponsors, allthewhey's Milk Protein Isolate is what i use before bed, trueprotein also makes a solid product (use discount code PKM142 to save 5% at trueprotein at checkout, sorry for shameless plug lol) I figured mpi cost me ~50 cents a scoop when i got it, so its cheaper for me than cottage cheese.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
a serving of cottage cheese will do ya, with the p.b. and aminos. i can assume you don't need anymore, as from the way you are typing, it looks like you care about fat gain. if you were bulking, this wouldn't be much of an issue.

but if you are bulking, and you are just trying to find that perfect caloric intake, you'll drive yourself CRAZY before you do find it. if you're bulking just eat a big serving of cottage cheese and the other stuff. if not, just have you a serving with a tbsp p.b. and some aminos. over-analyzing will raise cortisol levels. hahahah.

cessna

cessna

Awards
im just worried about fat gain im not bulking im trying to lose fat...... youre right about cortisol levels lol

B1ggie

B1ggie

Awards
5 whole omega 3 eggs and a scoop of Iso sensation 93

or 2 scoops Isolate and 2 tablespoons almond butter or 1 tablespoon Macademia nut oil. 1.5hrs before bed.

I do not use casein any more.

maynehood171

Awards
  • Established
a serving of cottage cheese will do ya, with the p.b. and aminos. i can assume you don't need anymore, as from the way you are typing, it looks like you care about fat gain. if you were bulking, this wouldn't be much of an issue.

but if you are bulking, and you are just trying to find that perfect caloric intake, you'll drive yourself CRAZY before you do find it. if you're bulking just eat a big serving of cottage cheese and the other stuff. if not, just have you a serving with a tbsp p.b. and some aminos. over-analyzing will raise cortisol levels. hahahah.
:rofl: