raw eggs

LaGrange26

LaGrange26

Awards
so I started eating 3 raw eggs in the morning with 1 yolk. I heard different things ( good and bad) about raw eggs so im gonna bring it to you guys.

What do you think good or bad .
( From research .0003% of eggs are dangerious 1 in 30,000)

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Been eating raw eggs all my life without problems.

LaGrange26

LaGrange26

Awards
Nice... I mean it completly sucks and after I feel like im going to puke but it is much easier than eating cooked eggs in any form. I use to eat hard boiled .. HORRIBLE

avgBdybldr

avgBdybldr

Awards
  • Established
Nice... I mean it completly sucks and after I feel like im going to puke but it is much easier than eating cooked eggs in any form. I use to eat hard boiled .. HORRIBLE
best way i found to eat raw eggs:

put them in a glass of o.j., seriously. in college, i would put 4 whole eggs in w/ a 12oz glass of o.j. and stir. couldn't even taste the eggs.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Been eating raw eggs off and on for quite a while. No problems here. I mix them in my protein shakes, makes them actually taste better.

Deegin

Awards
I love drinking raw eggs and do so quite often, but I remember reading somewhere that consuming an abundance of raw eggs may cause a biotin deficiency. Whether that's true or not I have no idea, but I'll try to find the source.

Edit: Apparently consuming too many raw egg whites by themselves is what may cause the biotin deficiency, but if you consume the whole raw egg (both yolk and whites) the biotin in the yolk makes up for it. I googled it and this page came up.. More On Raw Eggs - Share The Wealth

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Raw yolk are the way to go, but I think the whites are better cooked, I usually separate them and use the whites in my oatmeal and the yolks i use in a shake later in the day.

Schism

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Fcuk it! I'm gonna go drink some right now. Rocky did it and he's sixty and probably buffer than anyone here.

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
Been eating raw eggs off and on for quite a while. No problems here. I mix them in my protein shakes, makes them actually taste better.
I do the same.... One raw egg in my Whey shake every morning.

Neil5585

Neil5585

Awards
  • Established
It's true that raw white contains avidin which inhibits biotin absorption, as well as enzyme inhibitors (tripsin, I believe) so they're not digested the best raw.

Yolks are 100% good raw.

I just use whole raw eggs when consuming a large quantity because it would be too much of a pain to separate 36 yolks a day. But if I were just having a few I'd eat the yolks raw and cook the whites. If you do whole eggs raw just don't take your multi with them so you can absorb the biotin.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Avidin is neutralized by pasteurization. Supplementing with Biotin is good and cheap insurance.

Go with Egg Beaters or buy Gallons of Liquid Egg Whites from Egg White International, 100% bio-available egg protein!

Nabisco

Nabisco

Awards
  • Established
I read through that article that Deegin posted and couldn't help but laugh at the reader comments. Here are a few choices ones...

"I have only recently begun eating whole raw eggs, one in the morning and one in the evening. I read somewhere that the human body cannot digest more than 25gm of protein at once. Also one requires about 25-30 gm of protein. Considering that an egg has about 40 gm of protein, how does the above correlate to people eating 3-4 whole raw eggs at a time ?"

"I run six days a week in the morning and lift every other day. After my runs I have a protein shake that has about 45g of protien with 3 raw eggs, a banana, and about 16oz of fat free milk. Is that too much protien at once? I remember someone telling me that too much protien at one time is bad on the kidneys."

I wish eggs had 40 grams of protein per egg...then we'd all be huge.

Other than those tidbits, the actual article itself was a good read.

Schism

Banned
Awards
  • Established
That's funny. Yea if eggs had that much protein in them I would say fcuk you to my $100 a month whey protein supps. Good times, good times...........

machwon04

Awards
  • Established
Avidin is neutralized by pasteurization. Supplementing with Biotin is good and cheap insurance.

Go with Egg Beaters or buy Gallons of Liquid Egg Whites from Egg White International, 100% bio-available egg protein!
You can consume this raw out of the carton, or still better to cook?

Also, how are you guys "separating" the egg from the white when it's raw?? A great deal of the clear liquid (white) sticks to the yoke, so what's the point?

LaGrange26

LaGrange26

Awards
I poke a nice hole in it n get most the white out ... not that difficult... and I eat one whole

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
You can consume this raw out of the carton, or still better to cook?

Also, how are you guys "separating" the egg from the white when it's raw?? A great deal of the clear liquid (white) sticks to the yoke, so what's the point?
No need to cook them. You can if you are making 'eggs/omellete/etc.', but I use egg beaters/egg whites in my shakes. Just guzzle them down. They are pasteurized, no risk of salmonella (even if slight) and they are bio-available.

machwon04

Awards
  • Established
How much of the carton are you consuming at one time? There's only 8 whites to a carton right? It could take 2-3 days to go through one, closer to 2 probably.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
How much of the carton are you consuming at one time? There's only 8 whites to a carton right? It could take 2-3 days to go through one, closer to 2 probably.
2 cups at a time. Its more economical to get the 4 gallons from Egg Whites Intl.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
so I started eating 3 raw eggs in the morning with 1 yolk. I heard different things ( good and bad) about raw eggs so im gonna bring it to you guys.

What do you think good or bad .
( From research .0003% of eggs are dangerious 1 in 30,000)
There is about 1500 different threads on this. My opinion is it isn't going to help you gain anymore muscle just becuase you saw Rocky Balboa do it. I think maybe it was a big in the 1970's when you weren't even a sparkle in your mommas eyes!. Look though, there are 100's of opinions about this on this board and hundreds of threads like this that pop up every week or so....

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
There is about 1500 different threads on this. My opinion is it isn't going to help you gain anymore muscle just becuase you saw Rocky Balboa do it. I think maybe it was a big in the 1970's when you weren't even a sparkle in your mommas eyes!. Look though, there are 100's of opinions about this on this board and hundreds of threads like this that pop up every week or so....
Egg protein is good solid protein, whether powdered or liquid.

'Raw' eggs, no, not the best thing for you for the reasons cited above and elsewhere, but pasteurized is good. Cooking them falls somewhere in between as some of the proteins are denatured when they get above a certain temp.

Neil5585

Neil5585

Awards
  • Established
I disagree with egg whites if you're going for anabolic purposes....whole eggs would be better.

Eagleman003

Awards
one whole egg containrs probablly 70% of your DV of cholesterol if your eating more then 5-6 a day your gonna be in some trouble guys. I don't think egg whites are hard to cook at all this is what you shoul do.

Spray pan and heat up on the highest setting put egg whites in pan when it is really hot and stir. They cook in around 1 minute and it appears that there is a less volume of food. Add a little ketchup and your good to go. I add 6 egg whites to my meals like 2 or 3 times a day when bulking or cutting.

Neil5585

Neil5585

Awards
  • Established
one whole egg containrs probablly 70% of your DV of cholesterol if your eating more then 5-6 a day your gonna be in some trouble guys.

Most people are going to be absolutely fine cholesterol-wise. I've seen blood tests to prove it. Yolks also contain a great deal of lecithin and choline to help the body process cholesterol anyway.

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
sorry......don't mean to be 'copy/paste guy', but thought this was pertinent -

THE TRUTH ABOUT EGGS

First, one has to understand that cholesterol is not necessarily bad. Humans need it to maintain cell walls, insulate nerve fibers and produced vitamin D, among other things. Second, there are two types of cholesterol: dietary cholesterol and blood cholesterol . Both are important.

Dietary cholesterol is found in certain foods, such as meat, poultry, seafood, eggs, and diary products. The second type (blood cholesterol, also called serum cholesterol) is produced in the liver and floats around in our bloodstream. Blood cholesterol is divided into two sub-categories: High-Density Lipoprotein (HDL), and Low-Density Lipoprotein (LDL). LDL cholesterol is considered bad because it sticks to artery walls.

What is bad, however, is the amount of LDL blood cholesterol in the body. Too much of it can cause heart problems, but scientists are now discovering that consuming food rich in dietary cholesterol does not increase blood cholesterol. At least that is what some experts believe (they are somewhat disagreeing on the matter... as usual).

Evidence showing that eating a lot of dietary cholesterol doesn't increase blood cholesterol was discovered during a statistical analysis conducted over 25 years by Dr. Wanda Howell and colleagues at the University of Arizona. The study revealed that people who consume two eggs each day with low-fat diets do not show signs of increased blood cholesterol levels.

So what does raise blood cholesterol? One of the main theories is that saturated fat does. Of the three types of fat (saturated, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated), saturated fat raises blood cholesterol and LDL levels. It so happens that eggs contain mostly polyunsaturated fat, which can actually lower blood cholesterol if one replaces food containing saturated fat with eggs.

If you're a bodybuilder, you need eggs....

Eggs are actually quite nutritious. They are not just fat (yolk) and protein (white). In fact, they contain a wide array of essential vitamins and minerals. Here is what's in an egg...

Vitamins
A: good for the skin and growth.
D: strengthens bones by raising calcium absorption.
E: protects cells from oxidation.
B1: helps properly release energy from carbohydrates.
B2: helps release energy from protein and fat.
B6: promotes the metabolism of protein.
B12: an essential vitamin in the formation of nerve fibers and blood cells.

Minerals
Iron: essential in the creation of red blood cells.
Zinc: good for enzyme stability and essential in sexual maturation.
Calcium: most important mineral in the strengthening of bones and teeth.
Iodine: controls thyroid hormones.
Selenium: like vitamin E, it protects cells from oxidation.best type of protein If that wasn't enough, egg whites contain the purest form of protein found in whole-foods. It is so high that nutritionists use them as the standard when comparing other whole-food proteins. Their "biological value" -- a measurement used to determine how efficiently a protein is used for growth -- is 93.7. Milk, fish, beef, and rice respectively have a bio value of 84.5, 76, 74.3, and 64.

The higher the value, the better the protein is absorbed. This is why many bodybuilders include eggs in their diet. When a person eats beef, for instance, all of the protein is not necessarily absorbed and used to rebuild tissue.

Protein is a complex substance, which is why bodybuilding protein supplement makers are constantly trying to refine the quality of their product and why some protein shake brands boast that their protein is made from egg whites. Having said that, each large egg contains 6.3 grams of protein.how to eat eggs Experts advise that despite being low in saturated fat, one should not eat more than two eggs a day on a low-fat diet. Egg yolk is mainly fat, so even though it doesn't raise blood cholesterol levels, it can cause other problems if abused.

Contaminated eggs kill up to 5000 individuals each year. One egg in 10,000 is contaminated with salmonella, so you should never eat undercooked eggs, make eggnog on your own or mimic Rocky by swallowing them raw.

The proper way to cook eggs depends on the type of food served. The American Egg Board advises that grills should never be set higher than 250F. Anything above that will leave the interior raw while burning the outside. If an egg has runny parts, it means it is still not cooked properly.mmm, mmm, eggs So now you know the truth about the incredible, edible egg. Once a foe, now a friend, this mighty whole-food contains many great nutrients and isn't as bad as people once thought. A great source of protein and easy to prepare, eggs are nature's golden food... if you don't eat too much of them, that is.

Neil5585

Neil5585

Awards
  • Established
Contaminated eggs kill 5000 people a year? I call BS on that one. I've known many guys chugging tons of raw eggs for years and I have yet to hear of anyone even getting sick let alone dying. Where does this stat come from?

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
Contaminated eggs kill 5000 people a year? I call BS on that one. I've known many guys chugging tons of raw eggs for years and I have yet to hear of anyone even getting sick let alone dying. Where does this stat come from?
i'm sure they are probably counting all the people in 3rd world countries eating 1 month old rotton alligator eggs.

iDShaDoW

Awards
Uh, so should I pass on putting 2 raw eggs in my protein shake? I just started putting them in there and I plan on taking 2 shakes per day...

I was gonna look up salmonella symptoms to be safe too and now I read this lol.

Wichard20

Awards
i perfer them cooked, eggs only take couple minutes to prepare, i rather spend the time and force my self to eat eggs (somedays its hard) then risk getting sick...sure its like 1 in 10,000 or whatever...but i do not want to be that 1

Neil5585

Neil5585

Awards
  • Established
I've seen so many people afraid to eat raw eggs, but they will eat at fast food places or restaurants.

I've never seen or heard of anyone getting sick from raw eggs, yet I've seen tons of people almost on a regular basis getting sick from eating out.

But people have this irrational fear of raw eggs....silly. I'd be willing to bet the people that say they are afraid of getting sick from raw eggs don't say "no way will I eat at a restaurant because I don't want to chance getting sick."

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
I've seen so many people afraid to eat raw eggs, but they will eat at fast food places or restaurants.

I've never seen or heard of anyone getting sick from raw eggs, yet I've seen tons of people almost on a regular basis getting sick from eating out.

But people have this irrational fear of raw eggs....silly. I'd be willing to bet the people that say they are afraid of getting sick from raw eggs don't say "no way will I eat at a restaurant because I don't want to chance getting sick."
I'm not afraid of raw eggs, I just don't think they are the most bio-available. The shells are what actually carry salmonella, not the liquids inside the shell.

KSMA

KSMA

Awards
one thing ya gotta remember about eating raw eggs is that bacteria like salmonella cannot live in temperatures colder then 40f and higher then 140f. So as long as you are normal and keep your fridge cooler then forty you should be ok to eat raw eggs. personally i prefer em cooked, just cant quite choke down the raw business. 3 a day every morning, yolks and all. mmmm.

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
Fcuk it! I'm gonna go drink some right now. Rocky did it and he's sixty and probably buffer than anyone here.
Ya but what we didnt see was rocky injecting himself:bb:

was that before or after the messed up botox ol crooked eye

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
I eat them cooked however have always thought about raw if I was on the road

Neil5585

Neil5585

Awards
  • Established
I'm not afraid of raw eggs, I just don't think they are the most bio-available. The shells are what actually carry salmonella, not the liquids inside the shell.
Oh sorry man I wasn't talking about you with that comment. I agree that cooked whites are more bioavailable. Raw whites have the enzyme inhibitors and avidin. I do use whole raw eggs when eating very large quantities of them to gain mass, though, just out of convenience because separating 36 eggs a day would be a pain. I'm not 100% sure on eggbeaters so for now I'd rather go with the tried and true method.

CodyMartin

CodyMartin

Awards
For cooking purposes, are you proposing that "over-easy" or "Sunny-side up" (cooking methods with COOKED whites, but WARMED yolk) would be the best method for bio-availability?

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
For cooking purposes, are you proposing that "over-easy" or "Sunny-side up" (cooking methods with COOKED whites, but WARMED yolk) would be the best method for bio-availability?
Pasteurized is the best for bio-availability.

I forget the temp it takes to start denaturing proteins, but 'frying' definitely does.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Stomach acid denatures the protein as well. Raw eggs are just as bio-available as cooked. It's funny that some people argue the opposite and say it is less bio-available AFTER the proteins are denatured, lol. Cooking or pasteurizing may speed the process as shown in studies using ileal effluents and breath samples but one of the advantages to egg protein is the sustained release. If you want fast acting, use whey. IMHO

LaGrange26

LaGrange26

Awards
I just find raw eggs so much easier to eat and the dont fill me up at all... It is hard for me to eat 5 eggs scarmbled but to choke down 5 raw eggs it takes two minutes and I can easily eat much more after.
I really see the risks not out weighing the benifits from raw eggs so Im going to keep it up. Thanks for all the research guys
Hell of a thread

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Stomach acid denatures the protein as well. Raw eggs are just as bio-available as cooked. It's funny that some people argue the opposite and say it is less bio-available AFTER the proteins are denatured, lol. Cooking or pasteurizing may speed the process as shown in studies using ileal effluents and breath samples but one of the advantages to egg protein is the sustained release. If you want fast acting, use whey. IMHO
There are two ways to denature the proteins: chemically using digestive enzymes, or through the use of heat. Via heat, the body does not have the recombinant ability to utilize damaged denatured protein components (amino acids) and rebuild them once again into viable protein molecules.

This due to the enormous heat exposure during cooking, that denatures the protein molecule past a point of being bioactive, whereas body heat is too low to effect the protein molecule so adversely. The body does not require heat to reduce proteins to amino acids. It does a fine job of this chemically through enzymes. Chemically digested protein can be reused, whereas most of the heat denatured protein molecules cannot.

Raw eggs are highly bioavailable, but consumption can cause Biotin deficiency. I supplement with Biotin, even though I probably get more than enough in my diet.

Pasteurization removes any creepy crawlies, neutralizes avidin (causes Biotin deficiency) and still gives you the benefits of 'raw' un-denatured egg protein. The best of both worlds.

Neil5585

Neil5585

Awards
  • Established
Does pasteurization have any effect on the anabolic effect of arachidonic acid? How does it otherwise affect nutrient content? Are the enzymes in a raw yolk a reason for the anabolic effect of raw eggs? Has anyone compared the effect of pasteurized eggs to that of regular raw eggs? I know raw eggs work, but I don't know about pasteurized in terms of actual experience and results.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Does pasteurization have any effect on the anabolic effect of arachidonic acid? How does it otherwise affect nutrient content? Are the enzymes in a raw yolk a reason for the anabolic effect of raw eggs? Has anyone compared the effect of pasteurized eggs to that of regular raw eggs? I know raw eggs work, but I don't know about pasteurized in terms of actual experience and results.
I only use pure egg whites or 'Best of the Egg' which is like 5:1 whites to yolk in my shakes. So I don't know about pasteurization affects on AA.

I eat enough real eggs in my normal diet to not worry about it.

I just like them because they are liquid, add a few additional grams of slower digesting protein to my whey shakes, but they are not 'raw'.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Brocodeout69 Nutrition / Health 71
bell1986 Nutrition / Health 15
william247 Nutrition / Health 24
cory0475 Nutrition / Health 25
Weight Loss 11