WHy Protien???

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.6%

WHy Protien???

I am a hard gainer and trying to bulk...Does it make sense to take whey protien on an off day even though my muscles arent in an anabloic state?

Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.03%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Consume a lot of protein. 1g of protein per pound of your body weight. Don't just count the protein from your shakes, though. Count the protein from other beverages and foods you consume throughout the day. Your body will tell you if you've had way too much protein, as I've heard consuming too much can make you shyt.

Look into some different protein blends, such as Isogainer. Also, search the Recipes forum. Look for homemade weight-gainer recipes, as they're more effective and healthier than store-bought blends.
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.21%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by sooner999 View Post
    I am a hard gainer and trying to bulk...Does it make sense to take whey protien on an off day even though my muscles arent in an anabloic state?
    Do some research on muscular anabolism and you should find that your muscles should be in an anabolic state ALL the time (optimal, not realistic). You stimulate in the gym. You grow in the kitchen (on and off days).
    •   

4. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.92%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

you should take in lots of protein on workout and non workout days. Whether its whey or solid, still need to eat loads.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.55%

Your muscles will be in an anabolic state for over a week after a hard workout... They are just the MOST anabolic in the hours and days right after a workout. It tapers off slowly after a workout.

Keep eating a lot of protein all the time. In fact, since you are hardgainer keep eating a lot of food in general, all the time.

Almost all hardgainers I have met didn't eat nearly as much as they thought they did.
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  164 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.9%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimalG View Post
    Your muscles will be in an anabolic state for over a week after a hard workout... They are just the MOST anabolic in the hours and days right after a workout. It tapers off slowly after a workout.

Keep eating a lot of protein all the time. In fact, since you are hardgainer keep eating a lot of food in general, all the time.

Almost all hardgainers I have met didn't eat nearly as much as they thought they did.
    You need protein on off days to recover. Like easy said, you stimulate in the gym, and recover in the kitchen and when you sleep

Best advice right there. Keep eating what you see thats has some nutritional value (ie. wheat pasta over chocolate cake. Lots of carbs and cals, but the pasta is better) My friends in the same situation. He's only 124lbs. He buys his own mini frig. and buys milk, bagels and yogurt and turkey. He says he is eating "a lot", but the food is still in there from 3 days ago, meaning he does eat more than before, but it is still not enough.

The best thing you should do is go make a fitday.com account. My weight/lifts/overall size went up when I did.

Track all your food and make sure your eating above 4,000kcals. It all depends on your BSM though. For me, a Mesmomorph, I need roughly 4,000kcals to see some growth. Everyone is different though. Find what works for you.

Similar Forum Threads

1. why not soy protien??? thoughts?
    By mcssassin in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 06-01-2009, 05:13 AM
  2. Why GNC Sucks!
    By ChaseRoy in forum General Chat
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 04-13-2009, 09:59 AM
  3. Here's why whey protien prices are going up.
    By RedwolfWV in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-27-2007, 07:33 AM
  4. why dont people eat shellfish for protien?
    By UNDERTAKER in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-04-2005, 05:16 PM
  5. How much protien is too much at one time!!!
    By curt2go in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 12-22-2002, 06:56 PM