Sucralose (Splenda) and ketosis

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
I'm on day 5 of the Anabolic Diet break in period and I feel pretty good. The problem is, according to some ketostix I'm not in ketosis. My carb intake has been less than 20 a day, but I have a feeling my isopure ZERO carb shakes me be keeping me out of it. I noticed splenda as the last ingredient and splenda has some sweetners in it.

Has anyone had problems with protein powders and ketosis, or splenda and ketosis?

nelix

Awards
  • Established
I would avoid sugar alcohols at least for the first few days into keto.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
I just read that Splenda doesn't get metabolized, so it wouldn't effect insulin or take you out of keto....

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Zerocarb Isopure also has GLUTAMINE (uh oh) -- gluoneogenesis anyone?

I'm dropping the isopure, and just going whole food sources like tuna, beef, and chicken for the remainder of the breakin period.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Fat meals are starting to fill me up wayyy more now. Like it feels very filling and just sits in my stomach, and I don't crave carbs at all.

Dr_C2

Dr_C2

Awards
I have employed a CKD for 12 years now with fantastic results. I consume less than 40 grams of carbs daily. In my 12 years of using this diet, I have never been able to "test" positive for ketones in my urine.

Some of the the more recent research suggests that the presence of ketones in urine is no specifically a condition of ketosis.

Most of the previous research on CKD was done using subjects that were in dire medical condition (i.e. burn paitients, cancer patients, POWs). In each of those cases, reseachers did find ketones in the urine of those individual subjects. Current theory suggest that a healthly person maybe more able to metabolize the fat and subsequently produced ketones such that very minor amounts are passed through urine.

Dr_C2

Dr_C2

Awards
On another note, I have used Isopure Zero Carb whey powder for the past 4 months and I have noticed that I retain less water using Isopure than ON Whey. FWIW.

beallio

beallio

Awards
Don't obsess over Ketostix. Although they may indicate otherwise, your symptons indicate you are in keto (i.e. satiated for long periods of time, lack of carb cravings, etc.)

You should also notice less bloating, a slimming of the waist, and weight loss. Though you did mention you were on AAS so you may not lose weight, but you may notice a drop in bf%

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Don't obsess over Ketostix. Although they may indicate otherwise, your symptons indicate you are in keto (i.e. satiated for long periods of time, lack of carb cravings, etc.)

You should also notice less bloating, a slimming of the waist, and weight loss. Though you did mention you were on anabolic steroids so you may not lose weight, but you may notice a drop in bf%
I'm extremely sated now. I feel like I could eat 1 meal of 800 cals and be full all day. I'm still getting in the calories though. Should I start eating smaller meals again, or continue at this rate since I'm still in the AD break in period?

beallio

beallio

Awards
I'm extremely sated now. I feel like I could eat 1 meal of 800 cals and be full all day. I'm still getting in the calories though. Should I start eating smaller meals again, or continue at this rate since I'm still in the AD break in period?
How many calories are you putting away per meal, and how many meals per day currently?

beallio

beallio

Awards
If you're still eating 5-6 meals a day with that caloric intake that's great. No need to split it up beyond that.

Without the intake of carbs you should notice little drop after eating, e.g. no "crash" from carbs that's pretty typical. One of the reasons for eating a high number of meals throughout the day is to offset this crash and keep insulin levels stable. In switching to a keto diet you should find that you rarely crash (with the exception of the carb up day).

Leggo my Ego

Leggo my Ego

Awards
  • Established
Hey Emo, I used to piss on ketostix all the time while on CKD and I never tested positive for ketosis, even after 10 days of depletion. I also drink 2+ gallons of H2O per dayso my thought was that maybe my urine is too diluted. In any case I don't use ketostix anymore as I feel is in not necessarily crucial to reach ketosis. You just want to be fat adapted... I hope that makes sense

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
I did a keto strip this morning and it showed a 'trace' of ketones. This is a change from the negatives I kept getting.

thwomp

Awards
If you are doing the Anabolic diet, you dont wanna reach ketosis. From what ive read about it at tnation, you never actually get into ketosis.

cathyz

cathyz

Awards
On the other hand, have you heard already the potential dangers of sucralose (Splenda?) to our health?