How much green tea do you drink ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
CHA0S

CHA0S

Awards
  • Established
I love drinking Green tea and was wondering how many other people like it too and how much they drink a day. I like drinking loose leaf Japanese and Chinese Green Tea, matcha, and tea bags and drink between 3-5 cups a day.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
As an agricultural product, I've found the taste to vary widely by variety and even season to season. You can become a serious tea afficianado if you have the inclination and the money. Most of the time I just have organic green or white tea that comes in bags from the supermarket but I do have some more rare teas. I like to go to the markets that serve asian immigrants and pick stuff at random just for fun.

CHA0S

CHA0S

Awards
  • Established
As an agricultural product, I've found the taste to vary widely by variety and even season to season. You can become a serious tea afficianado if you have the inclination and the money. Most of the time I just have organic green or white tea that comes in bags from the supermarket but I do have some more rare teas. I like to go to the markets that serve asian immigrants and pick stuff at random just for fun.
yea its sucks i don't have a good source of income, i've been wanting to go to a Japanese Tea Ceremony. It has the koicha match made to thick syrup and taste perfect.

bombBoogie

bombBoogie

Awards
  • Established
I like Chinese green tea, the flavor is more bold/stronger.
Japanese green tea usually have a rice like taste to it. You can always have the option of buying with or without. Either way, it is too light for me.

Speaking of rare teas, I have seen the ones costing more than 50.00 a pound O_O

I try to get a minimum of 3 cups a day.

CHA0S

CHA0S

Awards
  • Established
I like Chinese green tea, the flavor is more bold/stronger.
Japanese green tea usually have a rice like taste to it. You can always have the option of buying with or without. Either way, it is too light for me.

Speaking of rare teas, I have seen the ones costing more than 50.00 a pound O_O

I try to get a minimum of 3 cups a day.
what kind of chinese tea do you drink?

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I enjoy my black tea most mornings. Chamomile before bed on occasion.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
I read an article where some epidemiologists were trying to figure out why the British (who drink lots of tea) didn't have the same health benefits of asian populations who drink lots of tea.

It turns out that the British usually add a little milk to their tea and the casein from the milk binds to the polyphonols preventing them from exerting their beneficial effects. Something to think about when timing your tea around your protein drinks.

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
I read an article where some epidemiologists were trying to figure out why the British (who drink lots of tea) didn't have the same health benefits of asian populations who drink lots of tea.

It turns out that the British usually add a little milk to their tea and the casein from the milk binds to the polyphonols preventing them from exerting their beneficial effects. Something to think about when timing your tea around your protein drinks.
wow i remember learning that somewhere

goodpost

ps- who likes the english anyway?

IainDaniel

Awards
Usually a couple cups of Green Tea, and a couple of Cups of White Tea a day.

Prefer the white tea.

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established

Id look to another explanation as well....the Japanese (and a good amount of chinese) take in a very high amount of iodine. Green tea has significant amounts of fluorine, which is not good for the CNS and especially for the thyroid and anywhere that iodine binds. So, the japanese take care of the fluorine by flushing it out with iodine...as we should. Ive since stopped drinking green tea due to the high fluorine content (i have in the past year suffered serious CNS issues and am now hypothyroid/hypoadrenal). But I will soon add it back in once I am not so damn iodine deficient.

Lesson to learn, if you drink green tea, take some iodine with it. Otherwise you might become iodine deficient and have thyroid and the 'bad estrogen metabolites' (2/16) issues. Pick up a bottle of Lugol's solution and add a a few drops to your water.

CHA0S

CHA0S

Awards
  • Established
Id look to another explanation as well....the Japanese (and a good amount of chinese) take in a very high amount of iodine. Green tea has significant amounts of fluorine, which is not good for the CNS and especially for the thyroid and anywhere that iodine binds. So, the japanese take care of the fluorine by flushing it out with iodine...as we should. Ive since stopped drinking green tea due to the high fluorine content (i have in the past year suffered serious CNS issues and am now hypothyroid/hypoadrenal). But I will soon add it back in once I am not so damn iodine deficient.

Lesson to learn, if you drink green tea, take some iodine with it. Otherwise you might become iodine deficient and have thyroid and the 'bad estrogen metabolites' (2/16) issues. Pick up a bottle of Lugol's solution and add a a few drops to your water.
:goodpost: never looked at it that way
the only negative things i try to avoid while drinking green tea is never drinking it scalding hot or cold, not drinking on an empty stomach, not mixing with alcohol or meds, and not drinking too much as it will cause caffeine intolerance and mineral overdose.

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established

bump to this. anyone else confirm or deny this never heard about it

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Agree with Scottyo on the iodine thing. Took green tea extract for 1-2 years and ended up with high TSH probably because of the flouride. Caught it early, now take Lugol's and have high normal free t4 levels and waaaay better mood and energy levels.

I drink red tea/Roiboos every night as it relaxes me and is even higher than green tea in antioxidants...and no flouride issues that I know of. I'd take a kilo of L-Theanine a day if I could afford to. lol

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
Agree with Scottyo on the iodine thing. Took green tea extract for 1-2 years and ended up with high TSH probably because of the flouride. Caught it early, now take Lugol's and have high normal free t4 levels and waaaay better mood and energy levels.

I drink red tea/Roiboos every night as it relaxes me and is even higher than green tea in antioxidants...and no flouride issues that I know of. I'd take a kilo of L-Theanine a day if I could afford to. lol
does red tea/roiboos help burn fat? think thats the only reason people drink it, tastes horrible anyway haha

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Roibos tastes great if you get the right blend. Got mine bulk from Mountain Rose..very smooth, slightly sweet. I haven't heard of any ecgc-like fatburning properties.

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established

It actually tastes pretty good with milk in it. I tried it when I was in England a few years ago because that's how the people I was staying with made it. It sounds weird until you try it, though.

CHA0S

CHA0S

Awards
  • Established
the other teas i've tried (black, oolong, white, and some flavored) didn't taste very good to me, green tea is the only thing that does it for me. Relaxes, healthier state of mind, benefits, and above all taste.

CHA0S

CHA0S

Awards
  • Established

i'm not big on taking the green tea extract powders. since they have a higher concentration of green tea that is equal to ~ 10 cups (more or less) they are a lot easier to overdose on the caffeine and minerals whereas if you drink the tea you are able to control how much you put into your body.

avenue Red

Awards
ive never been a tea fan. and for a week i was trying to drink Green Tea for the benefits but i just cant stomach that stuff

swanee609

swanee609

Awards
im a big green tea fan drink three 16oz bottles a day.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
im a big green tea fan drink three 16oz bottles a day.
I'm curious how good that stuff actually is for you. There are a LOT of extra ingredients in the bottled, sweetened green tea. Sometimes I drink the Lipton Diet Green Tea, but for some reason, it just doesn't feel right. Way too many ingredients in that stuff.

beallio

beallio

Awards

Possibly related to this:

http://mednews.wustl.edu/news/page/normal/4607.html

Potentially harmful fluoride levels found in some instant teas

By Gwen Ericson

Research suggests some instant teas may contain excessive levels of fluoride.
Research suggests some instant teas may contain excessive levels of fluoride.

Instant tea, one of the most popular drinks in the United States, may be a source of harmful levels of fluoride, researchers at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis report. The researchers found that some regular strength preparations contain as much as 6.5 parts per million (ppm) of fluoride, well over the 4 ppm maximum allowed in drinking water by the Environmental Protection Agency and 2.4 ppm permitted in bottled water and beverages by the Food and Drug Administration.

The discovery stemmed from the diagnostic investigation of a middle-aged woman suffering from spine pain attributed to hyper-dense bones. Testing for the cause of her symptoms revealed the patient had high levels of fluoride in her urine. She then disclosed a high consumption of iced tea—claiming to drink one to two gallons of double-strength instant tea throughout the day—which led the researchers to test for fluoride content in several brands of instant tea available on grocery store shelves.

Each of the teas was tested as a regular-strength preparation in fluoride-free water, and each contained fluoride, with amounts ranging from 1.0 to 6.5 parts per million. The study is reported in the January issue of The American Journal of Medicine.

"The tea plant is known to accumulate fluoride from the soil and water. Our study points to the need for further investigation of the fluoride content of teas," says Michael Whyte, M.D., professor of medicine, pediatrics and genetics. "We don't know how much variation there is from brand to brand and year to year."

In many communities in the United States, fluoride is added to drinking water to help prevent tooth decay. However, the Public Health Service indicates that the fluoride concentration should not exceed 1.2 ppm.

Physicians have been aware that ingestion of high levels of fluoride cause bone-forming cells to lay down extra skeletal tissue, increasing bone density but also bone brittleness. The resulting disease, called skeletal fluorosis, can manifest in bone pain, calcification of ligaments, bone spurs, fused vertebrae and difficulty in moving joints.

"When fluoride gets into your bones, it stays there for years, and there is no established treatment for skeletal fluorosis," Whyte says. "No one knows if you can fully recover from it."

Americans are exposed to fluoride not only through fluoridated water but increasingly through fluoridated toothpastes and other dental preparations. Pesticides, Teflon®-coated cookware, chewing tobacco, some wines and certain sparkling mineral waters are more unusual sources of excess exposure. Until now, instant tea had not been recognized as a significant source of fluoride.

According to Whyte, the findings could aid in the diagnosis and treatment of patients who have achiness in their bones. In the future, doctors should ask such patients about their tea consumption.

Whyte MP, Essmyer KE, Gannon FH, Reinus WR. Skeletal fluorosis and instant tea. American Journal of Medicine 2005 Jan;118(1):78-82.

Funding from the Clark and Mildred Cox Inherited Metabolic Bone Disease Research Fund supported this research.

Washington University School of Medicine's full-time and volunteer faculty physicians also are the medical staff of Barnes-Jewish and St. Louis Children's hospitals. The School of Medicine is one of the leading medical research, teaching and patient care institutions in the nation, currently ranked second in the nation by U.S. News & World Report. Through its affiliations with Barnes-Jewish and St. Louis Children's hospitals, the School of Medicine is linked to BJC HealthCare.

AnonyMoose

AnonyMoose

Awards
  • Established
i use jackie chans instagreen - it can be taken cold and used as a flavor packet for bcaa's, etc. too!

opfor101

opfor101

Banned
Awards
green tea is good stuff, but then again i dont like to desensitize myself to caffiene at all so i keep anything with caffiene to a minimum until i drink energy drinks

Tyler1

Tyler1

Awards
I take a 1 liter bottle, fill it with cold water, and toss in a bag of lipton (cheap) green tea, about an hour later it has filtered out into the water, and I found it didn't have that acidic film on top of the bottle you find when its added to hot water. Good topic, it seem like everything else taken in excess can be bad for you. I've been drinking way to much green tea over the last months, using it in place of coffee, I'll have to research the flouride, iodode issue.

CHA0S

CHA0S

Awards
  • Established
I take a 1 liter bottle, fill it with cold water, and toss in a bag of lipton (cheap) green tea, about an hour later it has filtered out into the water, and I found it didn't have that acidic film on top of the bottle you find when its added to hot water. Good topic, it seem like everything else taken in excess can be bad for you. I've been drinking way to much green tea over the last months, using it in place of coffee, I'll have to research the flouride, iodode issue.
thats good, coffee sucks and it isn't good for you. I've even tried the Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee (supposedly the best tasting coffee in the world) and it just ok, thats it, nothing special. but i do love green tea.

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
thats good, coffee sucks and it isn't good for you. I've even tried the Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee (supposedly the best tasting coffee in the world) and it just ok, thats it, nothing special. but i do love green tea.
if your saying coffee sucks there is something wrong with your logic

green tea itself to me tastes BLAH lol...

coffee has a lot of benefits buddy. i aint there to argue but both products i consume and both have tons of benefits

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Insult the honor and integrity of coffee again and I will BAN you for life!!

Just kidding. I get a little crazy when someone talks smack about the bean.

CHA0S

CHA0S

Awards
  • Established
Insult the honor and integrity of coffee again and I will BAN you for life!!

Just kidding. I get a little crazy when someone talks smack about the bean.
:lol: what did i say i hate it, what i meant to say was i kinda sorta like it a little sometimes. but i'll only drink the blue mountain or cappuccinos with honey and during winter. :D

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Once you go hot, black and bitter you'll never be a quitter.

Been addicted to coffee since I was 9.

Hey, the bus stops in Chicago are freakin cold in the winter...well, they used to be anyway.

CHA0S

CHA0S

Awards
  • Established

Hey, the bus stops in Chicago are freakin cold in the winter...well, they used to be anyway.
:lol: is it drug. you need to go to the CA (Coffeeholics Anonymous) meetings

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
As the saying around here goes..

"Don't be an alcoholic, son. Just be a drunk. Alcoholics have to attend meetings."

Forster

Forster

Board Supporter
Awards
Personally I hate the taste of all tea, thou I take the green tea powder/caps for the health benefits.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
As the saying around here goes..

"Don't be an alcoholic, son. Just be a drunk. Alcoholics have to attend meetings."
:thumbsup:Classic.

I was a fornicator and I quit fornication.
I was an adulterer and I quit adultery.
I was a gambler and I quit gambling.
I was a lier and I quit lying.
I was a thief and I quit stealing.
I was a smoker and I quit smoking.
I was a drinker and I quit drinking.
Now they call me a quitter.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
i stand corrected
LOL, no worries. Everything we ingest has good and bad qualities. Caffeine causes benign breast lumps which can be mistaken for breast cancer.....but it also lowers the chance of getting Parkinson's disease. On balance, I think a couple cups of coffee a day is a positive addition to the diet.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Whoa. That article is even freakier..yet better researched than the ones I have seen.

One thing I can't seem to find any info on is the Flouride content of green tea extracts. Might have to do some testing and find out.

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
I guess that marks my first real (kind of) contribution to this site. LOL. A couple questions though..

I've been drinking as much as 8 cups of green tea daily for the past several months, though some days I don't drink any. Should I quit? Cut back? Should I begin taking iodine? Continue drinking it with iodine?

And does this mean that I should also be careful with egcg powder, or is it solely tea that I should be concerned with?

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I'm wondering about the ECGC powders myself. I probably should get a batch tested as it's one of those things I did want to use for life.

I would maybe cut back but that's just me. I did actually show low thyroid numbers after being on a GT supp for many months so I tend to believe the flouride claims.

I do use iodine everyday and have felt markedly better since starting it. My last thyroid test had high normal range free T4. IMO, everyone should supplement with at least a few mg per day.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established

You in the Chi bio? Im ont the southside. Anywho...

I love me some Green Tea. I always like to try new ones form the store but i want some pure legit stuff from online. Anyone have any ideas?

I love me some coffee too, more than green tea, i may go brew some up right now. I gotsome Dunkin Doughnuts stuff...:ntome:

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
keep this thread going

waiting on more peeps to jump in and comment

ill drink green tea sometimes, but really like it without shuger

i have been taking 500mg pills 2-3 times daily but stopped everything presently

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I grew up in Chi but moved to AZ, where I still am, when I was 13.

Miss the food and pizza..but that's about all.

CHA0S

CHA0S

Awards
  • Established
keep this thread going

waiting on more peeps to jump in and comment

ill drink green tea sometimes, but really like it without shuger

i have been taking 500mg pills 2-3 times daily but stopped everything presently
YEA!!!! :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head:
:head: :head: :head:

when you said shuger, do you mean sugar,...Suga ;) :lol: (no pun or gayness intended)

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
I grew up in Chi but moved to AZ, where I still am, when I was 13.

Miss the food and pizza..but that's about all.
gotcha, yea the weather sucks. The food is pretty good.

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
I'm wondering about the ECGC powders myself. I probably should get a batch tested as it's one of those things I did want to use for life.

I would maybe cut back but that's just me. I did actually show low thyroid numbers after being on a GT supp for many months so I tend to believe the flouride claims.

I do use iodine everyday and have felt markedly better since starting it. My last thyroid test had high normal range free T4. IMO, everyone should supplement with at least a few mg per day.
Got some Lugol's coming in the mail. I'll just take a break from the green tea until it gets here. Thanks for the info, bioman.

Interested in hearing more about the possibility of fluorine in ECGC.

Status
Not open for further replies.