Cottage cheese too high in sodium? - AnabolicMinds.com

Cottage cheese too high in sodium?

1. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Cottage cheese too high in sodium?

I've been eating one full tub (the big one) every night before bed for the last three years. I never really payed too much attention to sodium content, but the other night I noticed how high it was. Is this a big problem? I'm not ever going to compete in any BB competitions, but I am worried about health, and I don't want to retain tons of water if I don't need to. I've considered switching to Ultra Peptide before bed, but I just really don't like the idea of having to take in powder as another meal. Whey already serves as part of my pre and post workout meals, and I don't want to resort to powder for a third time. I like whole foods. Any other suggestions for cassein?

2. Advanced Member

I noticed this the other day I was putting down some cottage cheese. 1 serving size (which is about half a cup) was 400mg of sodium. I think there were 5 servings total in a tub.

Not sure of a good whole food source for casein protein. What about substituting another shake during the day for whole food. Then having a casein shake before bed? Just an idea.

I would also like to know of other whole foods that are high in casein protein.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.

Damn man how big are you to be knocking down the entire tub of cottage cheese? Your body doesn't need all too much protein to get your through the night since your body is still in rest mode.

High sodium diets day in a day out can cause cholesterol problems (from the extra water and causing higher blood pressure) but if your being careful to monitor it and take other things (healthy oils for example) you should be fine as far as that goes (I think they recommend no higher than 2,300mg sodium a day.) But if your worried about water retention you may want to switch to 1 cup before bed with an EFA or just go to a casein shake.
    •   

4. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.

friendship cottage cheese makes a brand that has no sodium added if u can find that around you
  5. New Member

One cup of cottage cheese is plenty before bed. Have some almonds or some other nuts along with it.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  205 lbs.

salt free cc

The no sodium added cottage cheese is the most nasty thing ever. I absolutely love plain cottage cheese of any variety, but don't ask me to choke down "no salt added" plain. If you add stuff to it then maybe it's not so bad, but I tried it straight up.
  7. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by srx600 View Post
    The no sodium added cottage cheese is the most nasty thing ever. I absolutely love plain cottage cheese of any variety, but don't ask me to choke down "no salt added" plain. If you add stuff to it then maybe it's not so bad, but I tried it straight up.
    Try throwing a little splenda and jam, or a little crystal light lemonade. Sounds odd but its damn good to me at least....
  8. New Member

My advice is drink more water through out the day to counteract the increased intake of sodium.

If it's any consolation I consume at least a pound (8 servings) of CC/day
  9. NutraPlanet Fanatic

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by pmiller383 View Post
    friendship cottage cheese makes a brand that has no sodium added if u can find that around you
    Yeah, but have you ever tasted sodium-free cottage cheese? BLECH.

If anything, I would gran some low/no-sodium and cut it 1/2 and 1/2 with regular cottage cheese.
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    BPS - Where Body meets Performance
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.

It doesn't matter. Either drink more water or increase your potassium intake. Increasing potassium will have the same meaningful effects of lowering sodium. Regardless, unless you're salt sensitive, it doesn't matter.
  11. Board Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by dsade View Post
    Yeah, but have you ever tasted sodium-free cottage cheese? BLECH.

If anything, I would gran some low/no-sodium and cut it 1/2 and 1/2 with regular cottage cheese.

I've started doing this with regular CC and 'dry curd' CC (which has no added sodium). I think it is a good compromise.

Considering that amount of salt that is found in all our food, finding ways to cut back is a good idea. Since regular CC has so much, it is a good area to look for 'sodium savings'
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Question: Low Fat-High protein foods very high in sodium?
    By GreenMarine in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-13-2012, 09:53 AM
  2. Eggs/Cottage Cheese in a protein shake question
    By Jsouth in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-26-2007, 01:21 PM
  3. Molson Canadian beer high in protein???
    By logan in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-20-2003, 03:10 AM
  4. cottage cheese no salt added
    By sage in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-28-2003, 12:16 PM
  5. No tuna!!! mmmm Cottage cheese
    By Sanosuke in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-04-2002, 12:39 AM