anti-depressants + test booster

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34%

anti-depressants + test booster

just looking for some advice from the people who really know (you guys) I have been taking zoloft for about 6 months which helps my depression but it makes me feel like a wuss. No sex drive, soft, no desire for hardcore workouts. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any advice on taking an otc test. booster that works with this stuff. I actually asked my clinical nurse (who does my prescribing) and she looked confused. I don't want to waste money on an otc test booster if their crap. Any help would be awesome.

2. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.92%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

For your situation, I wouldn't recommend that you invest in these types of products. From my experience, I can say they weren't terribly effective for me. But what does work to cure those side effects is learning to live without the medications. I'm by no means telling you to stop taking it, but it's always something you can discuss with your doctor. I don't know the details of your situation, but they might think it's best to keep you on the anti-depressants, and in that case you should listen to them, not anyone on here.

And if you decide to take a test. booster while still taking the anti-depressants, you need to try to stay aware of any bad changes in your mood and discontinue supplementation if you notice any. With some products, it's definitely likely they will prove to be a negative influence on a sensitive brain chemistry. And that's not what you want.
  3. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.36%

read up on activate extreme.
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.74%

Quote Originally Posted by bitterplacebo View Post
    For your situation, I wouldn't recommend that you invest in these types of products. From my experience, I can say they weren't terribly effective for me. But what does work to cure those side effects is learning to live without the medications. I'm by no means telling you to stop taking it, but it's always something you can discuss with your doctor. I don't know the details of your situation, but they might think it's best to keep you on the anti-depressants, and in that case you should listen to them, not anyone on here.

And if you decide to take a test. booster while still taking the anti-depressants, you need to try to stay aware of any bad changes in your mood and discontinue supplementation if you notice any. With some products, it's definitely likely they will prove to be a negative influence on a sensitive brain chemistry. And that's not what you want.
    Couldn't agree more.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  196 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.79%

get off

1st get of the drug your on. Its old school and old SSRI's suck big time.

Zoloft, Prozac, Paxil are all out of date and will kill the sex drive of most people. I know did them all. I am the king of anti-depressants. I've done almost every type out there.

NOTE: I AM NOT A DR. AND THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION FROM PERSONAL USE.

I dont know your symptoms or feelings but without that I would say if you are mostly dep. then ask for

wellbutrin, it is a good anti and actually has some studies on it for increasing libido. If that doesnt help with the blues than asked to add another med to go with it. Over the years I have found that most depressive people need more than one drug. I did, do and probably will always. A drug that worked very well for me is actually a stim made for narcolepsy. Its Provigil. You need good insurance is $$$$$$$ or do what I do get monthly samples (I have a dumb dumb Dr. for that) but most family Dr dont get this as much.

Last, get a complete hormone panel bt. Test/E/thyroid........

After years of changing drug after drug I finaly found out I have low Test. Added test-e and my life is much smoother than before.
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.41%

I'd suggest looking at increasing your dietary amount of EFAs for testosterone production / libido instead of resorting to the test boosters just yet. Flaxseed (anti-estrogenic properties too) and fish oil are a particularly good EFAs to use! Throw some red meat into the equation too.

Have you tried DMAE and other nootropics? I doubt these should be combined with anti-depressants but if you were to come off them it is a possibility to try out. I have personally suffered with bouts of depression myself on and off, refusing to try antidepressants I recently picked up DMAE, combining this with Alcar choline and piracitam I can safely say its made life a little more 3-dimensional. 5-HTP and Phenibut are another possible route.
  7. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.74%

Quote Originally Posted by corndog View Post
    1st get of the drug your on. Its old school and old SSRI's suck big time.

Zoloft, Prozac, Paxil are all out of date and will kill the sex drive of most people. I know did them all. I am the king of anti-depressants. I've done almost every type out there.

NOTE: I AM NOT A DR. AND THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION FROM PERSONAL USE.

I dont know your symptoms or feelings but without that I would say if you are mostly dep. then ask for

wellbutrin, it is a good anti and actually has some studies on it for increasing libido. If that doesnt help with the blues than asked to add another med to go with it. Over the years I have found that most depressive people need more than one drug. I did, do and probably will always. A drug that worked very well for me is actually a stim made for narcolepsy. Its Provigil. You need good insurance is $$$$$$$ or do what I do get monthly samples (I have a dumb dumb Dr. for that) but most family Dr dont get this as much.

Last, get a complete hormone panel bt. Test/E/thyroid........

After years of changing drug after drug I finaly found out I have low Test. Added test-e and my life is much smoother than before.
    I will back his opinion. I've been in the same boat as corndog. Been on a couple different SSRIs for the last 3+ years. Finally had a complete hormone panel and found out I was low on test and my cortisol levels were high. Got both in check and things are great. It's amazing how much of an effect your hormone levels have on you psychologically.
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'4"  155 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.79%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Dude I know what you mean about the anti depressants.. I've been having to take Paxil for around 2 months now at the 2nd highest dose and getting the motivation to workout is really hard most of the time. The pill isn't even helping anymore it feels like for the depression part.
  9. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.67%

I'll third the recommendation on Wellbutrin.

I've had excellent results, in a general motivational and libido enhancing sense, from 150 X 2 of Buproprion SR (generic Wellbutrin) for Dopamine and NE enhancement plus 25mgs of ATD every 4th day to enhance test and reduce but not wipe out Estrogen. My experience with ATD is a small dose infrequently is a sustained libido booster, any more or more frequently and it kills it. A little bit is better, long term.

The Dopamine enhancement of Wellbutrin reduces my refractory period, a fancy way of saying getting a second and third nut more quickly, probably by reducing Prolactin.

Does'nt add anything for me,on that stack, but many people like Deprenyl/Seligiline for the MAO-B selective enhancement of Dopamine. Single dose Provilgil/Modafinil just makes me tense,not smooth energy, might work better if used regularly, but the above eliminates that need.
  10. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.15%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

I'd recommend taking ATD + Activate. Don't get Rebound Reloaded, pick up some Inhibit-E by SNS and get Designer Supplements Activate Extreme. There are some nootropics out that may be able to help as well. If that stuff doesn't work, 2g of Test Enanthate EW should make you feel better.
  11. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.18%

Man if you want my advice get off the damn meds. If you're feeling depressed and there's something wrong with your life, fix it, don't just take pills to make you feel better. As a human being the biggest challenge there is is to manage your own life, and if you really want to, you CAN make everything better, and if you can truly take control and be proud of what you are, then that is what the feeling of happiness feels like, and it definitely beats any feeling some meds can give you.
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  196 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.79%

Matt

I
  13. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  196 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.79%

Matt

Your comment is a dangerous oe and one of total ignorance. Lets put it into respoect to>

If you had dangerously high BP would you tell the Dr. no scripts and do see what happens.

If you had cancer would you just say f-it to chemo and say I can heal it with my mind

So by you comment by healing it or making everything better within your self you never take aspirins, never take anything for a cold or stomach issue, if you get a infection you heal it without any meds and you must never take any supplements.

Your comments are stupid and ignorant. If you dont have bi-polar, depression or any mental issues how the f-ck can you say what to do. You a idiot and either just young and dumb and just plain dumb.

My sister who had bi-polar and major depression thought she would try to see if she can find happiness with out her meds. She stopped everything and went into a major depressive state. 3 days later she bought a gun and killed herself.

So in retrospect if you dont have the disease and dont live the life shut the **** up
  14. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.18%

Quote Originally Posted by corndog View Post
    Matt

Your comment is a dangerous oe and one of total ignorance. Lets put it into respoect to>

If you had dangerously high BP would you tell the Dr. no scripts and do see what happens.

If you had cancer would you just say f-it to chemo and say I can heal it with my mind

So by you comment by healing it or making everything better within your self you never take aspirins, never take anything for a cold or stomach issue, if you get a infection you heal it without any meds and you must never take any supplements.

Your comments are stupid and ignorant. If you dont have bi-polar, depression or any mental issues how the f-ck can you say what to do. You a idiot and either just young and dumb and just plain dumb.

My sister who had bi-polar and major depression thought she would try to see if she can find happiness with out her meds. She stopped everything and went into a major depressive state. 3 days later she bought a gun and killed herself.

So in retrospect if you dont have the disease and dont live the life shut the **** up
    I will say that I am sorry to hear about your loss, and something like that had to have been rough no doubt so I do see where you're coming from.

Truth is though, I have read news articles with similar stories about people suddenly ceasing the meds, so it would probably be a good idea to taper it off if one were to decide to stop taking them but I'm no expert on this. St. John's Wort is also a good natural alternative that I know firsthand is effective, as mentioned above having testosterone levels in check can help too, and as a matter of fact I have had periods of depression in my life and I still feel depressed from time to time, and I have been given prescriptions to anti-depressants in the past, but I chose not to take them.

As for prescription drugs, I have made it a point to myself to not take any unless I absolutely have to, and if I can I try to find natural alternatives. For example if I had a cold I would probably take some vitamin C supplements and eat an orange and some other fruits.

I took finasteride for only 2 weeks in hopes of growing back some hair and I ended up with shot testosterone levels and libido. I actually ended up being in a small percentage of men with persistent side effects after quitting the drug. I could've chosen to take clomid or nolvadex to restart the HPTA, but I have heard of men in my situation not having as much luck with those drugs, so instead I chose a more natural combination of dermacrine sustain and paravol, and I ended up with success because of that.

SSRIs are also able to cause sexual problems. Wellbutrin doesn't have that sort of implication, but there is a small percentage that you can have a seizure, and I have heard of such things happening.

I think that being dependent on anti-depressants can be a dangerous thing, just read the following article:

Antidepressant dependency - Rx News Healthfacts - Find Articles

Also google up "anti-depressant dependency" and you will find a million pages on the subject.

As an alternative I recommend St John's Wort, 5-htp, or both.
  15. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.32%

depression meds are over prescribed. consider that 1/3 of the women in america take them according to a poll i read in glamour or one of those other girly mags.

however, depression, when correctly diagnosed is a serious illness. bipolar disorder especially. it has nothing to do with life situation but everything to do with a chemical imbalance.

with that being said, i would check out other meds. i won't go into my personal situation
    good luck
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  196 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.79%

I dont expect anyone that doesnt suffer from depression other than the usual blues that everyone will expeience from time to time to understand the destruction and control the brain has on a person.

Just Monday, I missed another day of work because I was so depressed I couldnt function, eat. I woke early Monday and went to the gym. Down and drepressed made it through a so so qorkout. Got home at 6:30 am and went back to bed until 4:30. The only reason I got up was my sone had a hockey game at 5:00.

I have fought major depression since 1993 and been on probably 30+ meds, multiple head Dr. and even thought of electro thearapy. When depression kicks in nothing matters, nothing makes you happy.

I have found 1 thing that does help reduce the refractory time and that is Zyprexa. It is the best drug for getting a person our of rock bottom and does it fast. It doesnt need 4-8 weeks to see if it works. I take it only when Im down and cant get out of it alone and only take it for 2 week periods. It has bad side effects and I hate drugs to begin with.

I tried stopping meds once and almost ended up next to my sister. I have every reason to be happy but at times Icant force a smile.

One of the biggest issues I see with anti-dep is Dr. give them out to anyone for the littlest issues. I've been tired, I dont sleep good, Im sad when ............ that isnt what they are for. They are not candy and need to be re-evaluated as to their uses and missuses.

I am on TRT now and my head was great for months and I thought that was the cure but 3 months into it deprssion is back so I guess I have lost hope as to ever being freed of this monster.

Not sure why or where all this came from but when it comes to people's judgement or opinions as to head stuff I get a little pissed unless they live where I do.

The best unbias wed-site is crazymeds.com. Great info from people that live it
  17. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.18%

I sort of do understand what you're going through, I've been f-ing up my whole semester in college cause of depression problems, I've been showing up late and missing classes left and right to the point where I can't afford to anymore. The possibility of flunking out of college is real fear to me, and the fact that it is the middle of the semester right now is critical to me. I missed the first day of school because I got into a car accident from passing out at the wheel, go figure. It's so bad sometimes that I can't sit down and do assignments that I pretty much have to do, inside my mind I'll start freaking out and will just try to escape the reality, and this is coupled with shallow breathing, did I mention I also have anxiety and insomnia problems?

I believe that two great weapons in fighting depression is self-discipline and physical fitness, both of which are habits that must be painfully established. Working out at least 3 times a week has been shown to help with depression a lot, as well as improving performance in just about all areas of life. Corndog, I honestly can't say anything about your situation or what works for you as everyone is different and I'm not here to judge. But for me I feel that if I can tough it out and endure the pain, and as long as I don't end up being a failure I can be happy in the end and mentally stronger as well, I feel if I can pull my act together and make it through this semester into the next one I can do a lot better and have some stability. Of course a little St John's Wort and 5-htp can't hurt either.

I am also a musician, and playing music in functional band just about never fails to relieve me of depression. Listening to some good inspirational music has also been very therapeutic for me.
  18. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.9%

Quote Originally Posted by striker17 View Post
    just looking for some advice from the people who really know (you guys) I have been taking zoloft for about 6 months which helps my depression but it makes me feel like a wuss. No sex drive, soft, no desire for hardcore workouts. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any advice on taking an otc test. booster that works with this stuff. I actually asked my clinical nurse (who does my prescribing) and she looked confused. I don't want to waste money on an otc test booster if their crap. Any help would be awesome.
    Everybody will have a different opinion. But above all I would listen to you doctor, but do a lot of research and bomb bard him with questions to help find out where you are out. Also see if he will check you testosterone, porlactin, and estrodial levels. This can be an indicator of Low T which has recently been found to be a major contributer to Depression. This is what happened to me. I am now on Testim and feeling much better. I had to start taking generic Lexapro because of performance anxiety due to dealing with low T for so long though. Good luck.
  19. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  196 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.79%

I dont know how long my t levels where low but I was diagnosed 3-4 years ago with low t. I was doing Androgel for a while and my numbers never went above 250 and actually dropped so I was put on testim. My levels dropped even lower to 191 so urologist did a MRI to rule pituitary tumor and put me on IM.

Things got allot better and are better but for 4-5 months I thought that I finally got what I needed to help treat depression. Test didnt end up being the cure all and I have been fighting dep. the last 2 months even though my test levels are at 900.

At the time my my numbers were

free t - 34.9pg/ml
    total t - 899ng/ml
    estradiol 66pd/ml
    shgb - 22.8nmol/l
    prolactin - 6.76ng/ml

Need to get another bt done to see where things are. I took some l-dex for my e2 and think I brought it down to low. I was always wanting sex at the above levels know I have no interest.

Would like a list of what BT I need to check why I have struggling with depression and low libido.
  20. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.21%

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Skiba View Post
    As an alternative I recommend St John's Wort, 5-htp, or both.
    DO NOT TAKE st. John's wort or 5-htp if you are diagnosed bipolar. They'll both kick off massive manic episodes, which are BAD news.
    I mean no disrespect to you with the caps, Matt. I'm bipolar, and there's a lot of random stuff that helps normal depression but screws with bipolar that most folks don't know, including a lot of psychologists. I used the caps because manic episodes are when BP's tend to do the most damage to their lives.
    I realize that the OP may not be BP, but it's good for folks to know this stuff, in case they have a Bipolar person in their life.
  21. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.67%

I have to agree. Real depression is not something someone can just fix themselves. It is a chemical imbalance in the brain. It is very much like a birth defect. The problem is most people start to feel blue and run to the doctor. Doctors being.. well.. doctors are very fast to push meds on people.

If you are honest with yourself you will know if your really depressed or have a serious illness of depression. Someone can have depression and win a million bucks, have the best family/wife/kids in the world. Great job, cars and anything else one would inspire in life and with real depression still not have the will to enjoy life.

Again, being depressed and having depression are two different things.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Need Test Booster/Anti Estrogen
    By AmazingAJ in forum Supplements
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-30-2012, 10:02 PM
  2. Replies: 60
    Last Post: 04-11-2012, 11:50 PM
  3. Replies: 37
    Last Post: 08-26-2011, 03:59 PM
  4. Best Natural Test booster/Anti Estrogen
    By zwilliby in forum Supplements
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 02-11-2011, 01:49 PM
  5. any thoughts on a test booster/anti-E product?
    By Fernelias in forum Supplements
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-20-2006, 09:02 PM