Can somebody explain to me why carbonation is bad for you?

1. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.59%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Can somebody explain to me why carbonation is bad for you?

I remember it having something to do with messing up your bodies PH balance...?

Not trying to justify drinking soda, I haven't had a drop in about 6 years, but I love mineral water, like perrier and pelligrino and what not.

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.86%
    Achievements Posting Pro

ive heard things about the phosphoric acids in soda deteriorating the enamels in the teeth, and also that it can lead to a calcium deficiency or something of the sort.
  3. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.59%

Interesting, but that applies to SODA...right? Not carbonated mineral water.
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.94%

Quote Originally Posted by MakaveliThaDon View Post

Not trying to justify drinking soda, I haven't had a drop in about 6 years, but I love mineral water, like perrier and pelligrino and what not.
    Don't know how reliable the info is, but this is what google turned up:

http://www.mindconnection.com/librar...softdrinks.htm

X
  5. Bananas
    Stats
    5'10"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.59%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by MakaveliThaDon View Post

bro i drink canned seltzer water like it's going out of style,i love that sh*t!!!.......i hope it aint bad....
    The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety.-Psalm 18:2
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.94%

Quote Originally Posted by TripDog View Post
    bro i drink canned seltzer water like it's going out of style,i love that sh*t!!!.......i hope it aint bad....
    From the link above:

"It includes all carbonated beverages--even carbonated plain water. The various substances in sodas compound the problem, especially the typical formulations with their carbonic acid or phosphoric acid."

X
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27%

I heard someone say everything causes cancer so I'm not worried. No seriously,I like drinking mineral water,seltzer,and tonic and i doubt anything said can stop me. i like high mineral content stuff mostly cause i think it's beneficial to drink.
  8. Bananas
    Stats
    5'10"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.59%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Xodus View Post
    Don't know how reliable the info is, but this is what google turned up:

http://www.mindconnection.com/librar...softdrinks.htm

X
    omg thats just scare tactic bullsh*t.....good find bro!..,but will it change my consumption........survey says....no!....i love my seltzer water!!!.....for healthy individuals it's not gonna pose any threat..but if your a sickly 85 year old different story..
    The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety.-Psalm 18:2
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.94%

omg thats just scare tactic bullsh*t.....good find bro!..,but will it change my consumption........survey says....no!....i love my seltzer water!!!.....for healthy individuals it's not gonna pose any threat..but if your a sickly 85 year old different story..
    Yeah, I didn't say the info was legit, just saying thats what turned up. I don't find carbonated beverages all that thirst quenching, so my intake is limited to beer.

X
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.9%

I was told it leeches calcium out of the bones, and may acclerate the onset of osteoarthritis... they reckon all those teenage girls that drink it like water will suffer later in life.

you reach maximum calcium density at a certain age, i forget when, after that that is all you have and you need to make sure you take your RDI of calcium from then on to maintain it especially women..
  11. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.33%

Also the preservtive in soda and most carbonated beverages poses a threat. there was thread on here at the begining of summer about it.
    Soduim Benzoate(sp?) It is not always listed as that but searched on it and if you drink any flavored beverage that is carbonated expect it to be in there.
  12. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.14%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

I think mineral water is a lot different. It's a natural carbonation processed by natural chemical reactions. Or at least I would think so.

If Trip drinks carbonated water so much, and he looks like that, I'm not scared one bit to drink the stuff.
  13. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.33%

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Cannon View Post
    I think mineral water is a lot different. It's a natural carbonation processed by natural chemical reactions. Or at least I would think so.

If Trip drinks carbonated water so much, and he looks like that, I'm not scared one bit to drink the stuff.
    Trip also has more chemicals in him that a child celeb at mid-life crisis...haha
    Just kiddin trip...RELAX!

No need for the reps but yea, Trip is def ripped to shreds.
  14. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.59%

Haha, I have to agree with trip on this one. Will that article change my drinking habits of mineral water.......NAH! Besides wasn't there a huge deal made out of cell phones causing brain tumors about 10-15 years ago. Now look, is there a single person on this planet that doesn't own a cell phone. We should all be dead of brain tumors by now really.
  15. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  212 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.13%

Carbonnated Beverages Do Change The Ph Levels In The Body.. Carbon Dioxide Disolves In The Blood As Carbonic Acid. The Same Thing That Causes The Bubbles In A Soda. In Excess The Ph Will Drop In Your Body Causing It To Be More Acidic.... The Same Is True If You Were To Hold Your Breath... The Amount Of Carbon Dioxide In The Blood Becomes Higher Then Usual And Changes The Ph Level.... I Dont Know How Drastic The Effect Is From A Carbonated Beverage But It Is Definitly True...
    No Bulsh+t Im A Bio Chemistry Major... And We Just Discussed This
  16. Bananas
    Stats
    5'10"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.59%

Quote Originally Posted by BIGG DOGG View Post
    Carbonnated Beverages Do Change The Ph Levels In The Body.. Carbon Dioxide Disolves In The Blood As Carbonic Acid. The Same Thing That Causes The Bubbles In A Soda. In Excess The Ph Will Drop In Your Body Causing It To Be More Acidic.... The Same Is True If You Were To Hold Your Breath... The Amount Of Carbon Dioxide In The Blood Becomes Higher Then Usual And Changes The Ph Level.... I Dont Know How Drastic The Effect Is From A Carbonated Beverage But It Is Definitly True...
    No Bulsh+t Im A Bio Chemistry Major... And We Just Discussed This
    would this have any effect on amonia in the body?? good post by the way
  17. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  179 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.47%

Did any of you guys ever put a penny in a glass of coke when you were a kid. First the penny is cleaned, Yay for clean penny. Then the longer its in there the more and more it dissolves into nothing. I think this relates to eating away at the enamel on your teeth and would only be specific to SODA with all the added ingredients. I don't think this has to do with the carbonation by itself.
  18. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.94%

Quote Originally Posted by MasterFlexx View Post
    Did any of you guys ever put a penny in a glass of coke when you were a kid. First the penny is cleaned, Yay for clean penny. Then the longer its in there the more and more it dissolves into nothing. I think this relates to eating away at the enamel on your teeth and would only be specific to SODA with all the added ingredients. I don't think this has to do with the carbonation by itself.
    The mythbusters did this too. They sunk teeth, pennies, a steak, etc. in coke for a few days.

Result: BUSTED

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/tooth.asp

One thing I would be curious of is if there is a higher instance of say osteoporosis or other purported 'carbonation' ailments in Europe vs. America.

The Europeans seem to drink more carbonated water than anyone! It was my experience that you had to ask for 'flat' water otherwise you will get carbonated.

Granted, us fat ass Americans probably dominate the world in soda consumption so maybe it would be a wash?

X
  19. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.06%

Quote Originally Posted by MasterFlexx View Post

Maybe to a certain extent but i dont see it completely dissolving a penny.
  20. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27%

I'm starting to think that all this carbonation is dissolving some peoples' brains.
  21. Bananas
    Stats
    5'10"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.59%

Quote Originally Posted by cardiffgiant View Post
    I'm starting to think that all this carbonation is dissolving some peoples' brains.
    who exactly are you directing that comment towards?
  22. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  212 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.13%

Quote Originally Posted by Xodus View Post
    The mythbusters did this too. They sunk teeth, pennies, a steak, etc. in coke for a few days.

Result: BUSTED

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/tooth.asp

One thing I would be curious of is if there is a higher instance of say osteoporosis or other purported 'carbonation' ailments in Europe vs. America.

The Europeans seem to drink more carbonated water than anyone! It was my experience that you had to ask for 'flat' water otherwise you will get carbonated.

Granted, us fat ass Americans probably dominate the world in soda consumption so maybe it would be a wash?

X
    YES.. TOO MUCH CARBONIC ACID IS A BAD THING IT DOES SEEM TO BREAK BONES AND OTHER TISSUES DOWN... BUT AT THE SAME TIME IT IS BAD TO NOT HAVE ENOUGH...
    OUR BODY NATURALY PRODUCES THIS WHEN THE BLOOD EXCHANGES O2 FOR CO2... THE BY PRODUCT OF CO2 AND H20 IS CARBONIC ACID AND OUR BLOOD IS WHAT MAKES THE EXCHANGE..... IT BASICALLY HAPPENS EVERYTIME YOU TAKE A BREATH...
  23. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  212 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.13%

would this have any effect on amonia in the body?? good post by the way
    TRIPP... IM NOT SURE WHAT THE EFFECT WOULD BE ON AMMONIA LEVELS... I TRIED TO GOOGLE IT BUT FOUND NOTHING...SORRY BRO
  24. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27%

who exactly are you directing that comment towards?
    Just joking but the thread in general will have no affect on what I do. I mean if you worry about everything and try to make adjustments to everything then you would go nuts. there's probably a lot more to be concerned with in todays world as far as food,etc. are concerned, nevermind things like healthcare insurance,etc.Peace.
  25. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27%

Just curious, Am I the only one who drinks tonic water with lemon or lime?
  26. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.59%
    Achievements Posting Pro

It makes you fart and burp a lot.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Can someone explain to me why...
    By SuppJunkie in forum Serious Nutrition Solutions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-11-2013, 03:53 PM
  2. Can someone explain to me about nitrates!?
    By Boomer3 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-25-2011, 10:30 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-14-2009, 12:47 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-04-2007, 09:03 AM
  5. Can someone explain to me....?
    By solid711 in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-21-2006, 02:50 PM