Can somebody explain to me why carbonation is bad for you?

M

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
I remember it having something to do with messing up your bodies PH balance...?

Not trying to justify drinking soda, I haven't had a drop in about 6 years, but I love mineral water, like perrier and pelligrino and what not.

N

Necroticism

Awards
  • Established
ive heard things about the phosphoric acids in soda deteriorating the enamels in the teeth, and also that it can lead to a calcium deficiency or something of the sort.

M

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
Interesting, but that applies to SODA...right? Not carbonated mineral water.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I remember it having something to do with messing up your bodies PH balance...?

Not trying to justify drinking soda, I haven't had a drop in about 6 years, but I love mineral water, like perrier and pelligrino and what not.
bro i drink canned seltzer water like it's going out of style,i love that sh*t!!!.......i hope it aint bad....

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
bro i drink canned seltzer water like it's going out of style,i love that sh*t!!!.......i hope it aint bad....
From the link above:

"It includes all carbonated beverages--even carbonated plain water. The various substances in sodas compound the problem, especially the typical formulations with their carbonic acid or phosphoric acid."

X

C

cardiffgiant

Awards
I heard someone say everything causes cancer so I'm not worried. No seriously,I like drinking mineral water,seltzer,and tonic and i doubt anything said can stop me. i like high mineral content stuff mostly cause i think it's beneficial to drink.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
omg thats just scare tactic bullsh*t.....good find bro!..,but will it change my consumption........survey says....no!....i love my seltzer water!!!.....for healthy individuals it's not gonna pose any threat..but if your a sickly 85 year old different story..
Yeah, I didn't say the info was legit, just saying thats what turned up. I don't find carbonated beverages all that thirst quenching, so my intake is limited to beer.

X

B

bodysculpt

Awards
I was told it leeches calcium out of the bones, and may acclerate the onset of osteoarthritis... they reckon all those teenage girls that drink it like water will suffer later in life.

you reach maximum calcium density at a certain age, i forget when, after that that is all you have and you need to make sure you take your RDI of calcium from then on to maintain it especially women..

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
Also the preservtive in soda and most carbonated beverages poses a threat. there was thread on here at the begining of summer about it.
Soduim Benzoate(sp?) It is not always listed as that but searched on it and if you drink any flavored beverage that is carbonated expect it to be in there.

I

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think mineral water is a lot different. It's a natural carbonation processed by natural chemical reactions. Or at least I would think so.

If Trip drinks carbonated water so much, and he looks like that, I'm not scared one bit to drink the stuff.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
I think mineral water is a lot different. It's a natural carbonation processed by natural chemical reactions. Or at least I would think so.

If Trip drinks carbonated water so much, and he looks like that, I'm not scared one bit to drink the stuff.
Trip also has more chemicals in him that a child celeb at mid-life crisis...haha
Just kiddin trip...RELAX!

No need for the reps but yea, Trip is def ripped to shreds.

M

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
omg thats just scare tactic bullsh*t.....good find bro!..,but will it change my consumption........survey says....no!....i love my seltzer water!!!.....for healthy individuals it's not gonna pose any threat..but if your a sickly 85 year old different story..

Haha, I have to agree with trip on this one. Will that article change my drinking habits of mineral water.......NAH! Besides wasn't there a huge deal made out of cell phones causing brain tumors about 10-15 years ago. Now look, is there a single person on this planet that doesn't own a cell phone. We should all be dead of brain tumors by now really.

BIGG DOGG

BIGG DOGG

Awards
  • Established
Carbonnated Beverages Do Change The Ph Levels In The Body.. Carbon Dioxide Disolves In The Blood As Carbonic Acid. The Same Thing That Causes The Bubbles In A Soda. In Excess The Ph Will Drop In Your Body Causing It To Be More Acidic.... The Same Is True If You Were To Hold Your Breath... The Amount Of Carbon Dioxide In The Blood Becomes Higher Then Usual And Changes The Ph Level.... I Dont Know How Drastic The Effect Is From A Carbonated Beverage But It Is Definitly True...
No Bulsh+t Im A Bio Chemistry Major... And We Just Discussed This

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Carbonnated Beverages Do Change The Ph Levels In The Body.. Carbon Dioxide Disolves In The Blood As Carbonic Acid. The Same Thing That Causes The Bubbles In A Soda. In Excess The Ph Will Drop In Your Body Causing It To Be More Acidic.... The Same Is True If You Were To Hold Your Breath... The Amount Of Carbon Dioxide In The Blood Becomes Higher Then Usual And Changes The Ph Level.... I Dont Know How Drastic The Effect Is From A Carbonated Beverage But It Is Definitly True...
No Bulsh+t Im A Bio Chemistry Major... And We Just Discussed This
would this have any effect on amonia in the body?? good post by the way:cheers:

MasterFlexx

MasterFlexx

Awards
Did any of you guys ever put a penny in a glass of coke when you were a kid. First the penny is cleaned, Yay for clean penny. Then the longer its in there the more and more it dissolves into nothing. I think this relates to eating away at the enamel on your teeth and would only be specific to SODA with all the added ingredients. I don't think this has to do with the carbonation by itself.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Did any of you guys ever put a penny in a glass of coke when you were a kid. First the penny is cleaned, Yay for clean penny. Then the longer its in there the more and more it dissolves into nothing. I think this relates to eating away at the enamel on your teeth and would only be specific to SODA with all the added ingredients. I don't think this has to do with the carbonation by itself.
The mythbusters did this too. They sunk teeth, pennies, a steak, etc. in coke for a few days.

Result: BUSTED

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/tooth.asp

One thing I would be curious of is if there is a higher instance of say osteoporosis or other purported 'carbonation' ailments in Europe vs. America.

The Europeans seem to drink more carbonated water than anyone! It was my experience that you had to ask for 'flat' water otherwise you will get carbonated.

Granted, us fat ass Americans probably dominate the world in soda consumption so maybe it would be a wash?

X

easymac

easymac

Awards

Maybe to a certain extent but i dont see it completely dissolving a penny.

C

cardiffgiant

Awards
I'm starting to think that all this carbonation is dissolving some peoples' brains.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
BIGG DOGG

BIGG DOGG

Awards
  • Established
The mythbusters did this too. They sunk teeth, pennies, a steak, etc. in coke for a few days.

Result: BUSTED

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/tooth.asp

One thing I would be curious of is if there is a higher instance of say osteoporosis or other purported 'carbonation' ailments in Europe vs. America.

The Europeans seem to drink more carbonated water than anyone! It was my experience that you had to ask for 'flat' water otherwise you will get carbonated.

Granted, us fat ass Americans probably dominate the world in soda consumption so maybe it would be a wash?

X
YES.. TOO MUCH CARBONIC ACID IS A BAD THING IT DOES SEEM TO BREAK BONES AND OTHER TISSUES DOWN... BUT AT THE SAME TIME IT IS BAD TO NOT HAVE ENOUGH...
OUR BODY NATURALY PRODUCES THIS WHEN THE BLOOD EXCHANGES O2 FOR CO2... THE BY PRODUCT OF CO2 AND H20 IS CARBONIC ACID AND OUR BLOOD IS WHAT MAKES THE EXCHANGE..... IT BASICALLY HAPPENS EVERYTIME YOU TAKE A BREATH...

BIGG DOGG

BIGG DOGG

Awards
  • Established
would this have any effect on amonia in the body?? good post by the way:cheers:
TRIPP... IM NOT SURE WHAT THE EFFECT WOULD BE ON AMMONIA LEVELS... I TRIED TO GOOGLE IT BUT FOUND NOTHING...SORRY BRO

C

cardiffgiant

Awards
who exactly are you directing that comment towards?
Just joking but the thread in general will have no affect on what I do. I mean if you worry about everything and try to make adjustments to everything then you would go nuts. there's probably a lot more to be concerned with in todays world as far as food,etc. are concerned, nevermind things like healthcare insurance,etc.Peace.

C

cardiffgiant

Awards
Just curious, Am I the only one who drinks tonic water with lemon or lime?