Bodybuilding and DORM\COLLEGE LIFE

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I hope there are many out there that can relate. I am a college student living in a dorm (well an off campus house) but still I do not have a kitchen or any such amenities. Keeping a steady diet is seemingly more complicated that I assumed it would be. I am forced to be on a meal plan so I am trying to make the best of the meals that I am being "forced" to buy. The food court has a Quizno's where I usually get a ham\turkey\roast beef\cheese sandwich on whole wheat. This comprises anywhere from 2-3 meals of my day. I buy low sodium turkey breast (cold cuts) and whole wheat bread and make sandwiches out of that for 1-2 extra meals and then I just try and fulfill nutrient requirements during the buffet style dinner's that they offer at night. I am still adjusting to a new regime and I will get it down. My girlfriend's campus house is close to mine and she has a large kitchen on her floor. I can cook there if i wanted but its less time consuming to just live off of the sandwiches.

My diet basically looks like this as of now:

1.) Breakfast 8:00am: 4-5 scoops UP YOUR MASS-MHP

2.) 10:30: 7-8oz low sodium turkey on 3 slices of whole wheat bread or Quizno's sandwich described above.

3.) 1:00pm "same as 2"

4.) 3:30pm "same as 2"

5.) 5:30-6:00pm "whatever I can scavenge up from the dinner buffet"

6.) 7:45pm: 60-100g carbs from oats+50g whey protien

7.)9:30pm: 70-100g carbs from complex\simple carbs (depending on current goal) + 50g whey

8.) 1-2tbsp natty flax enriched pb on 1 slice Whole wheat bread+ 1-2 cups milk+ 25-50g whey.

It's quite doable. It should provide the right nutrients in the right proportions for now at least.

ANYWAY: what i would really like to hear is current or former college students who have tips or helpful information as to how they progressed as a bodybuilder under the typical college life restrictions.

srx600

srx600

Awards
  • Established
College Life

I had to go through the whole "Forced" meal plan myself. I pretty much relied on grilled chicken wraps that one of the retaurants at our cafeteria provided. They sold one with two grill breasts on a whole wheat wrap. I must have ate at least 3 a day. It sucks, but it's what you gotta do. They rest of my nutrition came from oats and whey for breakfast and such. I also got myself a big container of mixed nuts and kept some tuna on hand. The only cooking I really did was in my microwave (oats), but I made it through. Hope this helps a little.

BTW can you give me the inside scoop on the UP YOUR MASS? I just bought 5lbs and am wondering how you rate it in terms of results, etc. I bought it as an MRP for between labs and such.

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I had to go through the whole "Forced" meal plan myself. I pretty much relied on grilled chicken wraps that one of the retaurants at our cafeteria provided. They sold one with two grill breasts on a whole wheat wrap. I must have
ate at least 3 a day. It sucks, but it's what you gotta do. They rest of my nutrition came from oats and whey for breakfast and such. I also got myself a big container of mixed nuts and kept some tuna on hand. The only cooking I really did was in my microwave (oats), but I made it through. Hope this helps a little.

BTW can you give me the inside scoop on the UP YOUR MASS? I just bought 5lbs and am wondering how you rate it in terms of results, etc. I bought it as an MRP for between labs and such.
Thanks for the insight bro,

well I compared it to cytosports Cytogainer, BSN's TRUE MASS, MUSCLETECH's MASS-TECH, and other weight gainers on the market and I've found that the nutrient split is very good. I am not the bodytype that needs 200 carbs and lots of sugar in a weight gainer. I like the blend of protiens and the amount of BCAA's and Arginine etc in the product. The taste is good, it doesn't give me indigestion and it fills me right up. Its a quick and easy replacement for breakfast. I would just normally do whey and oats but in comparison, the breakdown is similar, but there are alot of extra vitamins, minerals, and performance goodies in the UP YOUR MASS.

MiKeY ReSp

Awards
  • Established
when i dormed away at college it indeed was tough, but you have to find out what works the best into your schedule....i too had a gf at the time who had a kitchen, so heres what i did...

my college also had a sandwhich area that you could buy cold cut sandwhiches whenever you wanted, but they also let you buy just the cold cuts separate if you asked by the lb...aside from the sodium, the nutrition profile is pretty good...

i also went to wal-mart or whatever store at the time had chicken breasts on sale at the time the cheapest...bought ten lbs at a time, and boiled it all and kept it in my fridge in my dorm room

also do yourself a favor and load up on canned tuna. its not the most appealing, but it is very cost efficient as well as having a quick prep time.

i also worked in 2-shakes a day consisting of 1 scoop ON whey, 1 scoop ON casein, 1/2 cup of rolled oats, 1 cup skim milk, and 1tbs of natty peanut butter.

i dont like to rely on shakes that much, but if you incorporate two of those a day and its much easier to fill your meal requirements...the above meal schedule i ate by wasn't the most appealing but living on campus is hard enough and by keeping it simple it doesnt become difficult or expensivce

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
when i dormed away at college it indeed was tough, but you have to find out what works the best into your schedule....i too had a gf at the time who had a kitchen, so heres what i did...

my college also had a sandwhich area that you could buy cold cut sandwhiches whenever you wanted, but they also let you buy just the cold cuts separate if you asked by the lb...aside from the sodium, the nutrition profile is pretty good...

i also went to wal-mart or whatever store at the time had chicken breasts on sale at the time the cheapest...bought ten lbs at a time, and boiled it all and kept it in my fridge in my dorm room

also do yourself a favor and load up on canned tuna. its not the most appealing, but it is very cost efficient as well as having a quick prep time.

i also worked in 2-shakes a day consisting of 1 scoop ON whey, 1 scoop ON casein, 1/2 cup of rolled oats, 1 cup skim milk, and 1tbs of natty peanut butter.

i dont like to rely on shakes that much, but if you incorporate two of those a day and its much easier to fill your meal requirements...the above meal schedule i ate by wasn't the most appealing but living on campus is hard enough and by keeping it simple it doesnt become difficult or expensivce
thanks man those are some good tips. I would hop on the tuna but i really am not too fond of it.. anyway i seem to be managing for now. I may start to utilize my girlfriend's kitchen more as the year progresses.

greenwing7

greenwing7

Awards
how do you make a sandwich on 3 pieces of bread?

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
how do you make a sandwich on 3 pieces of bread?
1.)put the meat between two of them and just man down the other.
2.) put the meat between two slices and the third slice on top of the whole thing and eat
3.) make two layers of meat between 3 slices of bread.

greenwing7

greenwing7

Awards
or you could make a full sandwich out of one and half a sandwich out of the other :)

greenwing7

greenwing7

Awards
MIKEY did you buy the boneless skinless split breasts or did you get the frozen ones... what did you season them with, I am thinking about doing this only on a george forman grill

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
Canned tuna, brown rice, sweet potatoes, old fashioned oats, eggs ect all affordable. Im in the same boat, gotta do what you gotta do to eat clean on the cheap. Prepare several days worth in advance, and invest in a small toteable cooler like bag to take to class. Better than eating:pizza:

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
A george forman with some frozen buffalo patties would work. As well as cooking at your girls for a weeks worth and freezing it in individual containers.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My early years I lived on campus with the whole meal plan thing. It worked awsome for me. I would wake up about 9am just to catch the end of breakfast

-10egg whhites
-2packs oatmeal flavored/unflavored
-2whole eggs on wheat toast

Go back to my room and chill or class (2hr)

I'd throw back 2scoops of whey in a shake with 1%milk about 1.5-2hr after breakfast

Lunch
Tuna salad sandwich on wheat beagal. <---I could eat this everyday

Another shake with some rice cakes w/ PB i'd steal at lunch or a pb&J

class for an hour than the gym.

Go back to my room and take my gainer shake (ISS research Gainer Matrix) in skim milk

Dinner usually 8oz hamburger with pasta and sauce, steal some cottage cheese and head back to my room to save for before bed.

It worked awsome I put on great size and added a ton of strength (with a little masterdrol :lol:) It's way easy to bulk while living on campus, dieting......now thats damn near impossible

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
My early years I lived on campus with the whole meal plan thing. It worked awsome for me. I would wake up about 9am just to catch the end of breakfast

-10egg whhites
-2packs oatmeal flavored/unflavored
-2whole eggs on wheat toast

Go back to my room and chill or class (2hr)

I'd throw back 2scoops of whey in a shake with 1%milk about 1.5-2hr after breakfast

Lunch
Tuna salad sandwich on wheat beagal. <---I could eat this everyday

Another shake with some rice cakes w/ PB i'd steal at lunch or a pb&J

class for an hour than the gym.

Go back to my room and take my gainer shake (ISS research Gainer Matrix) in skim milk

Dinner usually 8oz hamburger with pasta and sauce, steal some cottage cheese and head back to my room to save for before bed.

It worked awsome I put on great size and added a ton of strength (with a little masterdrol :lol:) It's way easy to bulk while living on campus, dieting......now thats damn near impossible
Yea every campus will be different (as to what food is offered.) I am learning how to make do. I can eat fairly clean If i try, if not I can at least eat well and ALOT like you said. My goal isnt a sheer bulk but a lean bulk. I am about to start a 14-16 week injectable cycle that was in the makings for a while. Check it out in my thread "Possible safe-ish Cycle ideas."

Anyway thanks for your help and input man

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Canned tuna, brown rice, sweet potatoes, old fashioned oats, eggs ect all affordable. Im in the same boat, gotta do what you gotta do to eat clean on the cheap. Prepare several days worth in advance, and invest in a small toteable cooler like bag to take to class. Better than eating:pizza:
yea I hear y man. the whole cooking ahead of time deal is going to be something I work into my sundays.

drewh10987

drewh10987

Awards
  • Established
yea I hear y man. the whole cooking ahead of time deal is going to be something I work into my sundays.
I recently moved into an apartment (which is a lot better than the dorms) and the whole cooking ahead of time thing is what gets me by. I try to prepare as much food as possible on Sunday evening for the up coming week.

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I recently moved into an apartment (which is a lot better than the dorms) and the whole cooking ahead of time thing is what gets me by. I try to prepare as much food as possible on Sunday evening for the up coming week.
yea..its a good idea. im lucky my girl has a full out kitchen in her dorm\house.

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
As an earlier poster stated USE THE GEORGE FOREMAN GRILL!!!!!!!!!

All you need is an electrical outlet and you're golden. you have NO idea how handy it is. It will cook a burger (turkey or beef, whatever) in a few minutes and you don't have to check it. It cooks top and bottom and the same time, so no flipping, and the juice runs down into a plastic tray. Cleanup is a breeze, but making meals is even easier.

Yeah, the cold cuts, etc, can get VERY monotonous. Try out the George and it will put a ton of variety into your meals. It's WELL worth the purchase.

You can get them on ebay for almost nothing....

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
As an earlier poster stated USE THE GEORGE FOREMAN GRILL!!!!!!!!!

All you need is an electrical outlet and you're golden. you have NO idea how handy it is. It will cook a burger (turkey or beef, whatever) in a few minutes and you don't have to check it. It cooks top and bottom and the same time, so no flipping, and the juice runs down into a plastic tray. Cleanup is a breeze, but making meals is even easier.

Yeah, the cold cuts, etc, can get VERY monotonous. Try out the George and it will put a ton of variety into your meals. It's WELL worth the purchase.

You can get them on ebay for almost nothing....
Yea I brought one with me. I am afraid to use it just because it will smoke out my room. I will probably either just hook it up in my girls kitchen, or just put it in a window sill and use a fan to blow the smoke out the window.

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
Yea I brought one with me. I am afraid to use it just because it will smoke out my room. I will probably either just hook it up in my girls kitchen, or just put it in a window sill and use a fan to blow the smoke out the window.
What are you cooking in there that smokes out the whole room? You drying weed in it :) I have good luck with never smoking/burning anything on it. I love my Foreman... if it could blow me, I'd have no reason for a girl.........wait... did I just type that.... damnit......

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
What are you cooking in there that smokes out the whole room? You drying weed in it :) I have good luck with never smoking/burning anything on it. I love my Foreman... if it could blow me, I'd have no reason for a girl.........wait... did I just type that.... damnit......
:toofunny: HAHAh nice! idk i just vaguely remember it creating some smoke or smell that would spread through the whole floor. I guess Ill try and see

drewh10987

drewh10987

Awards
  • Established
:toofunny: HAHAh nice! idk i just vaguely remember it creating some smoke or smell that would spread through the whole floor. I guess Ill try and see
I cook chicken all the time on mine and it does create some smoke but that could be due to the marinade. I don't know if you would have the same problem if you cooked plain unmarinated chicken. Just be careful when you try because I lived in a dorm last year and I remember how they freaked out if someone set off a fire alarm.

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I cook chicken all the time on mine and it does create some smoke but that could be due to the marinade. I don't know if you would have the same problem if you cooked plain unmarinated chicken. Just be careful when you try because I lived in a dorm last year and I remember how they freaked out if someone set off a fire alarm.
yea good point man. Thanks.