Concerning Whey Protein

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.29%

Concerning Whey Protein

So I was discussing whey with this fellow, and he mentioned that he only drinks a whey protein shake three times a month, since drinking it too regularly causes liver damage...

Am I to understand that drinking it every time you work out is massively unhealthy?

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.37%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

You'll be fine man, dont worry about it. The amount of whey you would have to take in on a daily basis to overload your liver to the point of negative effect is very high. Also (which is the more common scare of whey) is that it can hurt your kidneys from the excessive strain it puts on them, but even with the kidneys if you up your water intake (to compensate for the excess protein metabolism) you again are fine.

Does this guy have pre-exisiting liver problems or anything? Remember man that everyone can speak their mind but its not always accurate.
  3. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.88%

Well....if you heard it then it must be true
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.29%

Quote Originally Posted by OCCFan023 View Post
    You'll be fine man, dont worry about it. The amount of whey you would have to take in on a daily basis to overload your liver to the point of negative effect is very high. Also (which is the more common scare of whey) is that it can hurt your kidneys from the excessive strain it puts on them, but even with the kidneys if you up your water intake (to compensate for the excess protein metabolism) you again are fine.

Does this guy have pre-exisiting liver problems or anything? Remember man that everyone can speak their mind but its not always accurate.
    He doesn't. In fact I barely even would trust him on many matters, come to think of it, and most of his knowledge comes from what his PT tells him, who I don't exactly respect either. But I read up on whey protein a little more and heard that it can damage your liver and kidneys, so I got worried. I drink a lot of water, so that should be sorted out.

Much thanks.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.37%

Quote Originally Posted by MakaveliThaDon View Post
    Well....if you heard it then it must be true
    ?

I just cant tell if this is sarcastic or for some unexplainable reason its not.
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.75%

Whey good

Whey is derived from cheese and milk. So I guess your buddy should quit drinking milk and eating cheese to save his liver. Or how about tuna then, it has small matters of mercury in it, I guess you should let your buddy know that too, that he can only eat fish on christmas.Whey is the most bio available to the body, meaning its almost 100% absorbed into the blood, thats more then any other type of protein. Whey can be used year round, there are no actual clinical studies to support that whey, or protein alone causes liver damage.
  7. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.88%

Quote Originally Posted by OCCFan023 View Post
    ?

I just cant tell if this is sarcastic or for some unexplainable reason its not.

haha, no, it was sarcasm. It was a poke at all the people I have heard over the years in the gym saying that so and so told them this or that.
  8. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.8%

my friend had the same problem. His diet was crap tho. He took in 4-5 shakes per day if not more. He was also a druggie, a drinker and a smoker. He had to stop the whey cause his the doctor told him something was wrong with his kidney. best to take whole foods . Much more filling and a lot easier to consume those calories on food than on protien shakes
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.37%

Quote Originally Posted by Cellardude View Post
    my friend had the same problem. His diet was crap tho. He took in 4-5 shakes per day if not more. He was also a druggie, a drinker and a smoker. He had to stop the whey cause his the doctor told him something was wrong with his kidney. best to take whole foods . Much more filling and a lot easier to consume those calories on food than on protien shakes
    well his problem was very different lol. Whey is very useful pre/post work outs and great for getting some extra protein and calories in during the day to go along/supplement your whole foods diet.
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.66%

OCC I just made you have a crown for good posting!
  11. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.29%

Thank you for your replies, everyone! I am much more at ease for having heard this.

Secondly, I am an idiot for even having listened to a man who drinks six Coors Light in one sitting and lights his cigarette with the butt of his last one, when it comes to liver issues.
  12. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.8%

Quote Originally Posted by Mega NRG Man View Post
    Thank you for your replies, everyone! I am much more at ease for having heard this.

Secondly, I am an idiot for even having listened to a man who drinks six Coors Light in one sitting and lights his cigarette with the butt of his last one, when it comes to liver issues.
    haha. whey is good. just dont overdo it

Similar Forum Threads

1. Whey Protein... "Exposed"
    By Biggs in forum Supplements
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 05-04-2013, 11:54 AM
  2. Why a casein/whey protein combo is the best for growth
    By YellowJacket in forum Supplements
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-25-2006, 01:19 AM
  3. When else besides PW is whey protein okay to consume?
    By JohnGafnea in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-04-2003, 01:42 AM
  4. New Faces of Whey Protein
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-16-2003, 05:43 PM
  5. Pro-Rated 100% Whey Protein
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-01-2003, 11:18 PM