Where to get lean beef?

1. Registered User

Where to get lean beef?

I decided to add some lean beef to my newest diet but I don't know where to find it. The leanest I have found at krogers/meijer/whole foods is 90/10. But I hear people talking about 96% or some such. Where do you get that?

And what do you think the ground sirloin at Whole Foods would be percentage wise?

2. Registered User

just look around. i can usually find 93/7 easily. walmart, kroger, ingles, publix should all have something near that. and 90/10 isnt that bad.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"   lbs.

I buy the 5# 'tubes' of 73/27 Ground Beef available at Safeway. I cook it plain, then while still hot, rinse the hell out of it under hot water. You will be surprised at how 'lean' it becomes.

Once it has been rinsed thoroughly, I then partition it up and add spices or what ever and cook it as I normally would. If it requires a little bit of 'fat', I add in some Extra Virgin Olive Oil right at the end of cooking.

Saves a ton of $$ if you like to eat a lot of beef.

Here is a link to show you fat content of 'super lean' vs. rinsed burger.

Reducing the Fat Content of Regular Ground Beef by Draining and Rinsing

X
    Last edited by Xodus; 08-21-2007 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Found a link to show fat content after rinsing...
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.

if you're only planing on eating beef 1 or twice a week (i'm not saying you are) just bite the bullet and spend the money on a nice cut from a butcher....if you go to a real butcher and tell him exactly what you're looking 4 him hook you up...it'll cost a bit more but the cut and the taste is worth it......
  5. Registered User

Just grab whatever is on sale,like a big roast or something huge w/ little fat,any butcher in any grocery will take it behind the counter and ground it for you for free....tell him trim the fat and grind it...thats why 90/10 says ground sirloin...
    sometimes you can get it cheap that way...but either way thats the leanest you can get is have it ground,although I like my steaks so I go with tenderlloins and top sirloin...other than that 90/10 is fine,usually I just get some 90/10...and 80/20....and then just mix them together,,,,15% fat is what I strive for,gotta have a little fat..
  6. Registered User

I get super lean ground beef at my local IGA. I love places like meijer and wal mart, but little "hometown" stores seem to have better quality meat.
  7. Banned

goto costco, they sell alot of meat for cheaper prices. better than going to the meatshop
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  157 lbs.

Wegmans has 95% for like 2.69 a pound or so
  9. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Xodus View Post
    I buy the 5# 'tubes' of 73/27 Ground Beef available at Safeway. I cook it plain, then while still hot, rinse the hell out of it under hot water. You will be surprised at how 'lean' it becomes.

Once it has been rinsed thoroughly, I then partition it up and add spices or what ever and cook it as I normally would. If it requires a little bit of 'fat', I add in some Extra Virgin Olive Oil right at the end of cooking.

X
    This is what I like to do. It saves a ton of money and requires very little effort.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  10. Registered User

My local grocery stores also sell ground buffalo and venison for about $5 lb which is extremely lean and tasty:donut:
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  185 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Xodus View Post

X

I've never actually tested the results but I agree with you on this. If you are going to rinse/drain your beef it doesn't matter that much what the fat content is. Obviously if you are tossing the rare ground beef into a caserole and baking it, you are going to get the fat. But as mentioned, if you cook it first and strain off the fat it seems fine to me.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  195 lbs.

I recently got a food processor and started making my own ground chicken. I picked up about 12 pounds of breasts on sale for $2 a pound and have been substituting it for beef in anything and everything.

I've had to be a little creative with the herbs and spices to get the taste that I desire, but it has worked well so far.
    RcB Since 09-06-2011 20:55 EST, Post 49
  13. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by stxnas View Post
    I recently got a food processor and started making my own ground chicken. I picked up about 12 pounds of breasts on sale for $2 a pound and have been substituting it for beef in anything and everything.

I've had to be a little creative with the herbs and spices to get the taste that I desire, but it has worked well so far.
    I like to add sea salt, chilli powder, black pepper, parsley, EVOO, and some garlic. It works for almost anything.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  195 lbs.

I use all of those spices a lot minus the sea salt. I know the poster asked about beef, but b/c chxn is so high in water content it is ideal for marinading and seasoning. I made chili and shepard's pie this week...both using ground chxn. My wife is picky and she liked them both.
    RcB Since 09-06-2011 20:55 EST, Post 49
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Where to get lean xtreme????
    By punjabimunde in forum Driven Sports
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-27-2012, 10:02 AM
  2. X-LEAN - WHERE TO GET ANY?
    By franul@ in forum Celtic Labs
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-18-2012, 07:41 PM
  3. Where to get 1-T pro?