Help! Need something to lower Cholesterol

superdrollover

superdrollover

Awards
  • Established
I just recieved my cholesterol results. They were 217 before a C.K.D diet a few months ago and now after the diet total went to 227. The DR is trying to put me on Zocor. I personaly would rather see if there is anything as effective(otc) as these "liver killers".

Thanks in advance!

super.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
There's plenty of options so don't worry. 227 isn't that bad and you should be able to bring it down with fish oil, daily oat or oatmeal consumption, Arjuna, or policosanol. I dropped my chol from 215 to 178 with just fish oil, oatmeal and policosanol.

There's newer supps like Cytrinol but I've never tried that one.

superdrollover

superdrollover

Awards
  • Established
There's plenty of options so don't worry. 227 isn't that bad and you should be able to bring it down with fish oil, daily oat or oatmeal consumption, Arjuna, or policosanol. I dropped my chol from 215 to 178 with just fish oil, oatmeal and policosanol.

There's newer supps like Cytrinol but I've never tried that one.
Thanks for the quick reply. I also just recently got diagnosed with "cluster headaches" and put on verapamil which ive seen increases plasma levels of almost all prescription cholesterol medicines which in turn increases the risk of muscle damage almost 3 fold. So your suggestions are much appreciated.

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
Cinnamon as well apparently 1 Tbsp a day.

edvanp

edvanp

Awards
  • Established
I used Cycle Support for 3 months and dropped mine from 249 to 209 (the ratios were very good). The doctor told me to keep doing whatever I have been because it's working. Otherwise, Red Rice Yeast and Plant Sterols.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There's also Red Yeast Rice Extract, which works as well or better than statin drugs
Effective yet also exerts effects on the liver just like statins.

What Bio mentioned is good.... EFA's, Policosinol, Garlic, Green Tea, Sesamin, and SAMe(the latter two would be good to stack with RYR if you decide to go with it) are all pretty good at lower cholesterol or helping liver and cholesterol issues.

trenoa

Awards
a very good diet

Just like you I genetically have high cholesterol so I eat oatmeal in the morning and at night with no sugar,splenda you if need, and shredded what bran cereal (wheat not white)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I say to just get Life Support by AI. It has everything you need for liver, cholesterol, kidney, and heart health.

superdrollover

superdrollover

Awards
  • Established
Thanks to everyone.Time for me to start shopping.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I say to just get Life Support by AI. It has everything you need for liver, cholesterol, kidney, and heart health.
That would be a very good investment for sure.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Policosinol (and I use F/O year round) dropped mine from 177 to 140 in no time.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That would be a very good investment for sure.
One thing that there is not enough emphasis on on this board is general health. Most of the supplements I use are for general health (SesaThin, Acidophilus, NaRALA) becuase being healthy is much more important to me than just looking healthy.

superdrollover

superdrollover

Awards
  • Established
I believe no time would be something like:

1 Second - 1 Second = No time or Zero Time

I hope I have been of assistance to you :) YW

Much Love,

<3 Neoborn <3
:toofunny:

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How long is "no time"?
I just tracked down the date I ordered it and started using it and my blood work.

I was 178 in May '06.

It appears that I started taking it beginning of January '07.

I was 149 in May '07.

So ~4 months ±.

The effects could have been sooner but that is the time frame from use to test. I have also used cholest-off and achieved the same results. The NOW policosinol is cheaper and from a sponsor.

gdbear65

gdbear65

Awards
  • Established
Now to throw a wrench into the works...

how about Nicotinic Acid?

MECHANISM OF ACTION
Nicotinic acid in gram doses, but not nicotinamide, lowers serum levels of total cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C), very low-density lipoprotein (VLDL) and triglycerides. High-dose nicotinic acid also increases serum levels of high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-C) and decreases serum levels of lipoprotein (a) [Lp(a)] and apolipoprotein B-100 (Apo B). The mechanism of the antihyperlipidemic action of nicotinic acid is not well understood. It is thought that this effect is mediated, in part, via decreases in the release of free fatty acids from adipose tissue, thereby decreasing the influx of free fatty acids into the liver, the hepatic reesterification of free fatty acids and the rate of production of hepatic very low-density lipoprotein (VLDL). A decrease in the hepatic production of VLDL reduces the level of circulating VLDL available for conversion to LDL. Another hypothesis holds that nicotinic acid directly inhibits hepatic synthesis or secretion of apolipoprotein B-containing lipoproteins. Still another hypothesis holds that nicotinic acid has the potential to cause a generalized inhibition of synthetic function in the liver. This mechanism may be considered a manifestation of nicotinic acid hepatotoxicity resulting in decreased LDL-cholesterol. However, this liver-damaging hypothesis would not explain the HDL-elevating effect of nicotinic acid. The mechanism by which nicotinic acid elevates HDL is unknown.

High dose nicotinic acid has been found to significantly decrease cardiovascular and cerebrovascular events in those with coronary heart disease. It is thought that this effect is due, in part, to nicotinic acid's antihyperlipidemic activity.

acidred06

Banned
Awards
lots of good stuff here, my question is this. my chol. is a little high 220 but my good chol is on the low side (dont remember the numbers)

my chol was worst and did zocor for 30 days and numbers got better. i really dont want to take any drug for this for the rest of my life so looking for nutritional and otc help.

the main thing for me is i want to correct/control this in a healthy way, zocor eats liver and i think can f up your hormone levels, so healthy treatment is what i want

i do take 4000mg of fish oil/day.

superdrollover

superdrollover

Awards
  • Established
lots of good stuff here, my question is this. my chol. is a little high 220 but my good chol is on the low side (dont remember the numbers)

my chol was worst and did zocor for 30 days and numbers got better. i really dont want to take any drug for this for the rest of my life so looking for nutritional and otc help.

the main thing for me is i want to correct/control this in a healthy way, zocor eats liver and i think can f up your hormone levels, so healthy treatment is what i want

i do take 4000mg of fish oil/day.
Thats exactly what they are trying to put me on. Zocor!<--------------------:FUfinger:

superdrollover

superdrollover

Awards
  • Established
I just tracked down the date I ordered it and started using it and my blood work.

I was 178 in May '06.

It appears that I started taking it beginning of January '07.

I was 149 in May '07.

So ~4 months ±.

The effects could have been sooner but that is the time frame from use to test. I have also used cholest-off and achieved the same results. The NOW policosinol is cheaper and from a sponsor.
Awesome thanks.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sounds like you got things rolling. When you get all your supporting supps ready you should post the protocol and post follow-up bloodwork... just to help some other people with high cholesterol, especially if everything comes back shining.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My one recommendation is to not use the kitchen sink approach. Your value is not that high.

I imagine that oatmeal and fishoil (which you should be using year round anyway for general health) and the policosinol would suffice.

You will do just fine!

superdrollover

superdrollover

Awards
  • Established
My one recommendation is to not use the kitchen sink approach. Your value is not that high.

I imagine that oatmeal and fishoil (which you should be using year round anyway for general health) and the policosinol would suffice.

You will do just fine!
Never been much for oatmeal but ive been eating it quite a bit the past couple of days, I dont use fish oil year round but i have used Flax seed oil for about 2 years but thats about to change.

heavyduty

heavyduty

Awards
My dad just had his cholesterol check and it was 438, He'll be on statins asap.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Never been much for oatmeal but ive been eating it quite a bit the past couple of days, I dont use fish oil year round but i have used Flax seed oil for about 2 years but thats about to change.
Add instant oatmeal to your protein shakes.

gdbear65

gdbear65

Awards
  • Established
Red Yeast Rice IS a statin drug....just a naturally occurring one. If he has medical contraindications with statins, he should avoid RYR.
I didn't know that until someone pointed it out earlier. At one point many people on this board and others were recommending it for PCT, but in light of this info, I won't be advocating it's usage again. There are better options.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
As well, I have heard that the pharm companies/industry is trying to get it banned (or scheduled) because it contradicts/competes with their drug market.

gdbear65

gdbear65

Awards
  • Established
As well, I have heard that the pharm companies/industry is trying to get it banned (or scheduled) because it contradicts/competes with their drug market.
It figures - they can't make money from it, so they don't want anyone to have it. :nutkick:

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
I didn't know that until someone pointed it out earlier. At one point many people on this board and others were recommending it for post cycle therapy, but in light of this info, I won't be advocating it's usage again. There are better options.
I think it's just fine for pct but people need to understand the possible complications.

angelo212

Awards
  • Established
Well Anabolic Innovations must be listing to the hype on RYR because they took it out of there cycle support.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Well Anabolic Innovations must be listing to the hype on RYR because they took it out of there cycle support.
No, they have two versions. One with ryr and one with plant sterols instead.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Why are you saying no. You just said they have a version without RYR.
You said "took it out of cycle support." I corrected your error. Some people have medical contraindications with statins. They're offering a different version for them in addition to the standard version.

angelo212

Awards
  • Established
You said "took it out of cycle support." I corrected your error. Some people have medical contraindications with statins. They're offering a different version for them in addition to the standard version.
My bad. I understand. I guess when you order you have to make sure you ask for the one with or without.

superdrollover

superdrollover

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like you got things rolling. When you get all your supporting supps ready you should post the protocol and post follow-up bloodwork... just to help some other people with high cholesterol, especially if everything comes back shining.
Update! Here is my proto.

4800 mg fish oil 2 1200mg pills twice ed

4000 mg garlic 1000mg 4xs ed

NOW policosanol 10mg twice daily

Oatmeal and blueberries

along with increased cardio

I will post my test results when i get them.

Again thank everyone for the suggestions.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Looks great, let us know.

RRY was actually banned for a short time because of pharma lobbying but a judge overturned it because it is 100% DSHEA compliant. IMO, Statins are a last resort for people with really high chol numbers.

gdbear65

gdbear65

Awards
  • Established
Pectins

This is interesting:

Pectin and pectin-like substances

Pectins are found in all plant cell walls, as well as in the outer skin and rinds of fruits and vegetables. For example the rind of an orange contains 30% pectin, an apple peel 15% and an onion skin 12%. The gel-forming properties of pectin are well known to anyone who has made jams or jellies. These same gel-forming qualities are for the cholesterol-lowering effects of pectins. Pectins lower cholesterol by binding it and bile acids in the gut and promoting their excretion

The Healing Power of Foods – Michael T. Murray, N.D.

superdrollover

superdrollover

Awards
  • Established
UPDATE!!!!!!!

After a couple of weeks of running my proto
I had a blood test done for work (some crazy new insurance thing)and my results are promising.

My total cholesterol stayed the same but my LDL dropped 8 points and my HDL increased 2 points.

Now to be honest my diet hasnt been the greatest this whole time but for those couple weeks it was pretty darn good.
Conlusion= My protocol truly works!!!
In about 2 more months I will have another test done and I will fill you all in on the results.........

Again thank all of you for your help!

2fresh

2fresh

Awards
I've been eating anywhere between 3-6 eggs per day for almost 2 years. I should really check out what my cholesterol is.

But can someone point out to me a link or info on Red Yeast Rice and how it's bad for some people as mentioned above or bad for Post Cycle Therapy.

I hear Niacin is also good for cholesterol...True?

Red Yeast Rice, Fish oil/Omegas/Flax, Garlic, Oatmeal, and others are good mixes for lowering your Cholesterol though.

angelo212

Awards
  • Established
yeast rice products promoted and sold on Web sites. The products may contain an unauthorized drug that could be harmful to health. The products are promoted as dietary supplements for treating high cholesterol.

The potentially harmful products are: Red Yeast Rice and Red Yeast Rice/Policosonal Complex, sold by Swanson Healthcare Products, Inc. and manufactured by Nature’s Value Inc. and Kabco Inc., respectively; and Cholestrix, sold by Sunburst Biorganics. FDA testing revealed the products contain lovastatin, the active pharmaceutical ingredient in Mevacor, a prescription drug approved for marketing in the United States as a treatment for high cholesterol.

“This risk is even more serious because consumers may not know the side effects associated with lovastatin and the fact that it can adversely interact with other medications," said Steven Galson, M.D., M.P.H., director of FDA's Center for Drug Evaluation and Research.

These red yeast rice products are a threat to health because the possibility exists that lovastatin can cause severe muscle problems leading to kidney impairment. This risk is greater in patients who take higher doses of lovastatin or who take lovastatin and other medicines that increase the risk of muscle adverse reactions. These medicines include the antidepressant nefazodone, certain antibiotics, drugs used to treat fungal infections and HIV infections, and other cholesterol-lowering medications.

FDA has issued warning letters advising Swanson and Sunburst Biorganics to stop promoting and selling the products. Companies that do not resolve violations in FDA warning letters risk enforcement actions, such as an injunction against continuing violations and a seizure of illegal products.

The FDA warning letters state that the products Red Yeast Rice, Red Yeast Rice/Policosonal Complex, and Cholestrix, sold on the firm’s websites, are unapproved new drugs that are marketed in violation of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act. The warning letters are available on FDA’s Web site: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/script...ecentfiles.cfm.

FDA advises consumers who use any red yeast rice product to consult their health care provider if they experience problems that may be due to the product.

angelo212

Awards
  • Established
Red Yeast Rice may lower CoQ10 levels.
This was a quote from Vitacost. They didn't say much else.

angelo212

Awards
  • Established
1. Red Yeast Rice - natural form of levostatin. Must be taken in conjunction with CoQ10 since ALL statins strip your heart of CoQ10.

2. Policosanol - excellent for individuals who have sides from RYR. The clinically tested variety consists of Aliphatic Acids from Sugar Cane.

3. Gugglesterones - another effective product for cholesterol control. Stacks well with Policosanol.

4. Niacin - very effective in doses of 500mg or greater. Long term use may affect your liver, however.

Just remember, your TOTAL cholesterol count must be no lower than 160 in order for your body to repair its tissues effectively.