Post Workout Shake

PhilABowl

PhilABowl

Awards
  • Established
Whats Good?

I drink Optimum Nutrition's 100% whey gold standard... but I'm told that I need some carbs in there as well... What do you all like for post workout shakes, and why?

ManInTheBox

ManInTheBox

Awards
you could just eat two bananas and be good to go. if you want to take the liquid route, you could do one of several things. pick up some bulk dextrose, add enough for 40-60 carbs, drink up with your protein. you could buy an all in one such as universal torrent, which has dextrose, malto, and vitargo. what i do is take two scoops pure vitargo with bcaa's, eaa's, and glutamine. then, 15-20 minutes later drink up my protein shake (has been blueberry gf pro). been working great, and definitely settles more easily than the dextrose. all depends on your budget on what route you should take. if you need advice let me know.

PhilABowl

PhilABowl

Awards
  • Established
Budget isn't a huge concern.

Looking at my diet, just for today, with the FitDay program, heres what I have:

2,541 Calories (a little low for me)
66 Grams / 23% Fat
345 Grams / 50 % Carbs
144 Grams / 23% Protein

and it looks like I need to cut down on carbs and stack up on protein a bit. I also only ate 3 meals today... mainly because I slept in today with it being a weekend day.

So I'd like something that I can drink after a workout, something premixed that I can just throw milk in, shake it up, and drink it. Then follow it up 30-60 min later with protein.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
Post WO should be in water. Faster absorbtion. I had the Isopure RTD before and it's good. I know they have a ZeroCarb formula. I'm goin to try and pick up some Malto/Dextro to mix PostWO and also will be on Anabolic Pump so carb intake is key.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
try kwik karb from nutraplanet. add in a scoop or two of that with 2 scoops of the ON whey and some bcaa's if you have them and youre good for post workout. I always eat a meal 1-1.5 hours after that.

alan aragon

alan aragon

Awards
whey + ground oats = yeah buddy

whey + ground oats + milk = YEAH BUDDAY

whey + ground oats + frozen strawberries + milk = WHOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!

jvb20

Awards
here is my shake after i work out

2 scoops whey
4 egg whites
1 cup otmeal
1 cup yogart
and milk as much as you like

FitModel

FitModel

Awards
  • Established
I usually make a smoothie

Ice
2 scoops vanilla whey
3-4 strawberry's
10-15 blueberry's
1 packet plain oatmeal
4oz NF Milk
3-4oz Yogurt (Dannon Fit n' Light)

blend...

precious_roy

Awards
I go along with Alan's WOOHOOO route:

1 scoop chocolate whey
2 cups milk
1 cup ground oats
1 large banana

If you ground the oats fine enough it tastes like a banana-chocolate milk shake. Its quite yummy.

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
whey + ground oats = yeah buddy

whey + ground oats + milk = YEAH BUDDAY

whey + ground oats + frozen strawberries + milk = WHOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!
It doesn't matter whether they're ground or not does it, besides the fact that they're easier to drink when ground, right? I thought it was decided that particle size doesn't effect oats much.

I've been doing a whey shake and eating oats with it; adding a banana to that on high carb days.

freqfly

freqfly

Awards
  • Established
I use the same protein you do for my post workout shake except I throw in a half cup of ground raw oats for carbs. Does the trick for me.

PhilABowl

PhilABowl

Awards
  • Established
no one has answered this yet - are ground oats and oatmeal the same thing ?? Or is it oatmeal you throw into a food processor?

PhilABowl

PhilABowl

Awards
  • Established
no one has answered this yet - are ground oats and oatmeal the same thing ?? Or is it oatmeal you throw into a food processor?

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yes its is oatmeal that you either put in the blender with everything else or pre grind it in a blender or a coffee grinder.

PhilABowl

PhilABowl

Awards
  • Established
Sweet. On another note, I have been through several $20 blenders. I now have an $80 cuisinart that came with a frozen drink maker and cuisinart food processor attachment, purchased at Costco, and it is fantastic. It doesn't have that "cheap feel" of a ****ty blender. It also only has three settings - Low, High, and pulse. I dig that they think about it enough to realize nobody needs 12 different settings for a blender. and its powerful as **** also - when you put ice cubes in there, it REALLY makes crushed ice instead of slicing 1 ice cube in half and the rest being giant rocks.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sweet. On another note, I have been through several $20 blenders. I now have an $80 cuisinart that came with a frozen drink maker and cuisinart food processor attachment, purchased at Costco, and it is fantastic. It doesn't have that "cheap feel" of a ****ty blender. It also only has three settings - Low, High, and pulse. I dig that they think about it enough to realize nobody needs 12 different settings for a blender. and its powerful as **** also - when you put ice cubes in there, it REALLY makes crushed ice instead of slicing 1 ice cube in half and the rest being giant rocks.
for 80 bucks i woulda bought one of those magic bullets or whatever their called (and no im not talking about that thing under yo mama's pillow)

TravisCoSheriff

Awards
I wonder if you can find finely ground oats at whole food stores...Have too look. Really dont want to burn up my blender which it gets that smokin smell when I grind up oats. Dont want to by coffee grinder either.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Get an oster that has a metal drive shaft. Walmart sells them for around $30. I've got one that has a glass "jug", and had it about 12 years now. It mostly gets used for crushing ice for margaritas + daquiris :) On other blenders, its the plastic drive mechanism that ususally goes, as the plastic can't handle that many impact hits indefinitely. With the glass jug its good for hi temps, so you can turn a soup that has chunks in it into straw drinkable while its still hot.

So if i'm doing a CKD, should I still try to get some small amount of carbs in post workout?

R-Mac

R-Mac

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
two scoops whey/1 cup of oats and water, sometimes i thrown a half cup of frozen berries

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i'm still a big believer in mass amounts of goat sperm...seriously try it.:twisted: