How bad is diet soda? Will it interact with supplements?

Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. New Member
    waimoku's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Age
    42
    Posts
    48
    Answers
    0

    How bad is diet soda? Will it interact with supplements?


    I try to drink plenty of filtered/bottled water (> 1 gal) a day. However sometimes I want something a little bit sweet and have a diet coke. I understand the increased sodium in such a drink but are there other reason not to have it?

    Also, will it undermine any supplements?
    Possibly effect an Anabolic Pump?

    Right now I am taking AP and DCP (very strict about following the timing rules).

    Thank you.


  2. Senior Member
    rampage jackson's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  255 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,255
    Answers
    0

    Bump on this....Im curious as well. I drink between 1-3 diet sodas on average per day. Lately though, I've been on a minute maid light lemonade kick...
    E-Pharm Nutrition Representative

  3. Registered User
    CRUNCH's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  252 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,168
    Answers
    0

    Diet soda's not the best thing in the world to drink, but I can't imagine one or two per day is going to hurt anything, supplement wise or other.

    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    Grant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,016
    Answers
    0

    Dont stress it, most of the HUGE bb's drink diet soda if they drink soda

  5. Senior Member
    warnerve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,939
    Answers
    0

    I was just wondering the same thing the other day. Hopefully Alan aragon or bobo see this.

  6. Registered User
    jjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Age
    26
    Posts
    6,539
    Answers
    0

    Diet coke is really bad, puts stress on your liver, causes water retention, etc... Aspartame is really one of your worst enemies. I drink diet Crush as there is sucralose, and is supposed to be better...We don't really know yet..

  7. New Member
    live4fitness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Age
    41
    Posts
    128
    Answers
    0

    Any artificial sweeteners that are in "diet products" on the main market are REALLY bad for you. They are now starting to link things like lupus, ms and other disease to them. Think about it they are all chemicals made in a lab . we use stevia or xylital all made from nature. As far as effecting supps don't know. I hope this helps

  8. Registered User
    kwyckemynd00's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    5,324
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by jjohn View Post
    Diet coke is really bad, puts stress on your liver, causes water retention, etc... Aspartame is really one of your worst enemies. I drink diet Crush as there is sucralose, and is supposed to be better...We don't really know yet..
    A dose of aspartame contains less methanol than an apple. The aspartame being dangerous is a lie unless you plan on eating it by the cubic meter on a daily basis, lol.

  9. Registered User
    kwyckemynd00's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    5,324
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by live4fitness View Post
    Any artificial sweeteners that are in "diet products" on the main market are REALLY bad for you. They are now starting to link things like lupus, ms and other disease to them. Think about it they are all chemicals made in a lab . we use stevia or xylital all made from nature. As far as effecting supps don't know. I hope this helps
    Many chemicals "made in labs" save and prolong lives on a daily basis.

    This whole "natural is good" idea is really bothersome to me.

    If you all want to eat natural plants and their derivatives, go eat some Toxicodendron diversilobum. Its natural.

    Hell, natural things are linked to disease all of the time. Ever hear about saturated fats and their impact on cardiovascular disease? (Excuse the obvious sarcasm. I'm unable to communicate like a reasonable person when I'm hungry.)

  10. New Member
    live4fitness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Age
    41
    Posts
    128
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by kwyckemynd00 View Post
    Many chemicals "made in labs" save and prolong lives on a daily basis.

    This whole "natural is good" idea is really bothersome to me.

    If you all want to eat natural plants and their derivatives, go eat some Toxicodendron diversilobum. Its natural.

    Hell, natural things are linked to disease all of the time. Ever hear about saturated fats and their impact on cardiovascular disease? (Excuse the obvious sarcasm. I'm unable to communicate like a reasonable person when I'm hungry.)
    Yes but some saturated fat like coconut oil is very good for you

  11. Registered User
    kwyckemynd00's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    5,324
    Answers
    0

    Yes, that's my point. Just because something is traditionally thought of to be "bad for you" doesn't mean it is.

  12. New Member
    live4fitness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Age
    41
    Posts
    128
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by kwyckemynd00 View Post
    Yes, that's my point. Just because something is traditionally thought of to be "bad for you" doesn't mean it is.
    Just know people who have been affected by them thats all

  13. Registered User
    kwyckemynd00's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    5,324
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by live4fitness View Post
    Just know people who have been affected by them thats all
    Understood, and no disrespect intended. Just a big pet peeve of mine. Almost like nails on a chalk board.

  14. New Member
    live4fitness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Age
    41
    Posts
    128
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by kwyckemynd00 View Post
    Understood, and no disrespect intended. Just a big pet peeve of mine. Almost like nails on a chalk board.
    HAHAHA

  15. Advanced Member
    djremix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Age
    39
    Posts
    502
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by live4fitness View Post
    Just know people who have been affected by them thats all

    i have actually had first hand experience with a friend of mine. she developed rashes, headaches etc
    nothing MAJOR, but at the time no explanation was there.

    i came across info on the mercola site about how aspartame and sucralose are freaky bad.
    so before doing much more research i asked her to stop the diet soda's for a few days.
    4 days later and all her symtoms disaapeared.
    and havent returned since she stopped the soda's.

    so thats saying something i guess....do your own research and make up your own mind.

    the studies done on splenda are a real eye opener...as if you dont hate the FDA already.


  16. New Member
    wrestler119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    191
    Answers
    0

    Most of the negative publicity that artificial sweetners get is nothing more than hysteria. Kinda the same thing that happens with steroids. There isnt much evidence to support claims that artificial sweetners are bad for you. Also, considering it is FDA regulated, why would it still be used in food products if it were so dangerous?

  17. Snuggle Club™ mascot
    bpmartyr's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Age
    41
    Posts
    4,448
    Answers
    0

    Diet soda is as big of a threat as mans effect on global warming.

    Denying is tantamount to holocaust denial.

  18. Registered User
    CRUNCH's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  252 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,168
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by djremix View Post
    i have actually had first hand experience with a friend of mine. she developed rashes, headaches etc
    nothing MAJOR, but at the time no explanation was there.

    i came across info on the mercola site about how aspartame and sucralose are freaky bad.
    so before doing much more research i asked her to stop the diet soda's for a few days.
    4 days later and all her symtoms disaapeared.
    and havent returned since she stopped the soda's.

    so thats saying something i guess....do your own research and make up your own mind.

    the studies done on splenda are a real eye opener...as if you dont hate the FDA already.

    Sounds like some kind of allergic reaction. That does not equate to artificial sweeteners being bad for everybody.

  19. Registered User
    CRUNCH's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  252 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,168
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by wrestler119 View Post
    Also, considering it is FDA regulated, why would it still be used in food products if it were so dangerous?
    You don't really believe that do you?? That because the FDA says it's ok, it must be true??

    I've got some ocean front propery in Neveda you should check out...

  20. Advanced Member
    djremix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Age
    39
    Posts
    502
    Answers
    0

    it is ofcourse, bu considering how low a dosage, i wonder what would have happened if she dran 3 or 4 cans a day!

    also the longest study ON humans lasted only 8 weeks. all studies were funded by them.
    and the aspartame story is worse!

  21. Registered User
    somewhatgifted's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,392
    Answers
    0

    If theres one thing in life ive learned it can be stated two ways "you cant have your cake and eat it too" "there are no shortcuts" You change something to fix a problem and you create other problems lifes a trade off, diet pop... just drink water if its a problem for you. Most people for some unknown reason think that by saying "diet coke" they have actually advocated for their bodies, as if they had exercised. "you want a donut" "i shouldnt... but i did have a DIET coke at mcdonalds."

  22. Registered User
    CRUNCH's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  252 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,168
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by djremix View Post
    it is ofcourse, bu considering how low a dosage, i wonder what would have happened if she dran 3 or 4 cans a day!

    also the longest study ON humans lasted only 8 weeks. all studies were funded by them.
    and the aspartame story is worse!
    An allergic reaction is an allergice reaction. More would have probably been worse.

    I got a similar reaction to a saspirilla (sp?) flavored soda a few years ago...itchy hives. My point was that it doesn't mean it's going to do that in everybody.

  23. New Member
    wrestler119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    191
    Answers
    0

    I dont believe that just because the FDA regulates it that it must be healthy. But if it was as evil as some people are lead to believe, I think they would do something about it. I mean, they recalled pet food didnt they??? Dont you think they would do something similar with artificial sweetners, which are supposedly deadly?

  24. Registered User
    CRUNCH's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  252 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,168
    Answers
    0

    So why haven't they done away with tobacco?

  25. Registered User
    jjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Age
    26
    Posts
    6,539
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUNCH View Post
    So why haven't they done away with tobacco?
    IMO, this is all politics, and money. Just like the hybrid cars were made years ago, we all knew it was bad for tha planet. and the gas companies stopped them from hitting the market. Now we don't have a choice, or we'll just die. Tobacco and alcohol are the same.

  26. Registered User
    CRUNCH's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  252 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,168
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by jjohn View Post
    IMO, this is all politics, and money. Just like the hybrid cars were made years ago, we all knew it was bad for tha planet. and the gas companies stopped them from hitting the market. Now we don't have a choice, or we'll just die. Tobacco and alcohol are the same.
    Don't you think the soda companies probably also have a hand in what the FDA then says about artificial sweeteners? They wouldn't want the FDA to take it off the market either, and the soda companies probably have deeper pockets than the tobacco companies.

    I'm not saying the artificial sweeteners are good or bad. Just that you shouldn't look to the FDA to have us good citizens in their best interest. Ultimately, like you said, they are controlled by politicains and money. That includes tobacco and possibly artificial sweeteners as well.

    Who knows if we'll ever know the truth about some of the things we ingest.

  27. Registered User
    jjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Age
    26
    Posts
    6,539
    Answers
    0

    IMO, we'll have to know one day or another, but the bad news are that it will be replaced eventually (sucralose) that might even be worse. We live in a society that wants to have everything with no effort. Same goes for those too good to be true diet sodas... We want all the sweet taste, without the calories. I have heard about a cop that used to drink 10 diet cokes a day, and was diagnosed with brain cancer. Coincidence? I ain't so sure..

  28. New Member
    live4fitness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Age
    41
    Posts
    128
    Answers
    0

    I work in research and things can be changed around to look good. Now the FDA is tough to get through but research is only done for a short time and if things don't die in that time span then it concidered okay. Well these people who are being diagnoed with neuro issues have been consumming diet drinks and /or products for short times or long times. that is my 2 cents

  29. Advanced Member
    djremix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Age
    39
    Posts
    502
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by live4fitness View Post
    I work in research and things can be changed around to look good. Now the FDA is tough to get through but research is only done for a short time and if things don't die in that time span then it concidered okay. Well these people who are being diagnoed with neuro issues have been consumming diet drinks and /or products for short times or long times. that is my 2 cents
    thats just it! if it was really safe, you would see actuall human studies in splenda that run for more than 8 weeks.
    you would see other studies done on it not funded by the manufacturers.

    but no...

  30. Registered User
    kwyckemynd00's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    5,324
    Answers
    0

    There are lots of reasons that studies for splenda, etc don't go past 8 weeks. For one, nobody cares to fund a super long term research study where a cohort of diet soda drinks are followed over extended periods of time. Its just not a huge concern.

  31. Registered User
    jjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Age
    26
    Posts
    6,539
    Answers
    0

    I care. Don't you care about the risks (your health)? What about a 8 week study on tobacco. Hmmm. Tobacco seems to cause no damage on an 8 week study..

  32. Registered User
    CRUNCH's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  252 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,168
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by jjohn View Post
    What about a 8 week study on tobacco. Hmmm. Tobacco seems to cause no damage on an 8 week study..
    Good point...

  33. Senior Member
    anabolicrhino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    49
    Posts
    2,604
    Answers
    0

    Diet sodas would not exist if someone did not demonize sugar.

    Sugar is not a poison. People that have problems with sugar are genetically incapable of processing it(diabetics) or they are using way too much (super size me)

    The key is individual tolerance (GTF)
    and controlled moderation.

    The whole sugar is bad campaign started because of shortages due to the fact that sugar trading countries were not friendly toward the US(communists)

    Most sugar substitutes are chemically based on industrial byproducts. (carbon bonds or alcohols structures)

  34. Advanced Member
    djremix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Age
    39
    Posts
    502
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by anabolicrhino View Post
    Diet sodas would not exist if someone did not demonize sugar.

    Sugar is not a poison. People that have problems with sugar are genetically incapable of processing it(diabetics) or they are using way too much (super size me)

    The key is individual tolerance (GTF)
    and controlled moderation.

    The whole sugar is bad campaign started because of shortages due to the fact that sugar trading countries were not friendly toward the US(communists)

    Most sugar substitutes are chemically based on industrial byproducts. (carbon bonds or alcohols structures)
    100% agree.

    for those interested in hearing the mounting evidence against splenda and why it was created(a lot of negative 3rd party studies started appearing on nutrasweet) just google splenda and mercola.

    as always, make up your own mind, but always remember. why you think is right may not be.

    be safe.

  35. Registered User
    kwyckemynd00's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    5,324
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by jjohn View Post
    I care. Don't you care about the risks (your health)? What about a 8 week study on tobacco. Hmmm. Tobacco seems to cause no damage on an 8 week study..
    All sugar alternative consuming people are not experiencing an abnormally high rate of deadly diseases, either. We've had sugar alternatives for long periods of time.

    And yes, damage would be found in an 8 week study of tobacco by the way. Not only would we be able to track damage done by things like carbon monoxide, which out-compete oxygen for binding position on red blood cells, but also pollutants in the smoke and almost immediately track damage done to villi by nicotine, which paralyzes villi--removing their ability to expel the pollutants you coated your lungs in. Cant' blame you for bring up that example though; most people wouldn't know any better.

    Damage can be seen from smoking right away--that doesn't mean you'll develop a deadly disease right away though.

  36. New Member
    volusia40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    34
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by kwyckemynd00 View Post
    There are lots of reasons that studies for splenda, etc don't go past 8 weeks. For one, nobody cares to fund a super long term research study where a cohort of diet soda drinks are followed over extended periods of time. Its just not a huge concern.
    Nutrasweet made me quite ill for awhile. I was drinking about three diet pepsi's per day. After several months of this I began to get severe headaches and dizzy spells. They lasted for about a month and it was every day almost all day long. I would walk down the hall and it felt as though I was walking on the side of a hill. I began to think that something was seriously wrong. A co-worker suggested that I lay off the diet sodas to see if there was any correlation. After 2 days the headaches were gone and within 4 days the dizzy spells were gone. At this point I avoid nutrasweet at all costs and try to buy diet Rite or Pepsi One. I've had no noticeable effects from Splenda.

  37. Senior Member
    anabolicrhino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    49
    Posts
    2,604
    Answers
    0

    the US military does not allow pilots to drink diet soda before they fly because of the dizziness factor!

  38. Registered User
    kwyckemynd00's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    5,324
    Answers
    0

    I wouldn't doubt that at all.

    But at the same time, that's not an indication that diet sodas are toxic to everyone.

    If aspartame causes some people to have adverse reactions you can add it to the list of natural and healthy things that do as well.

    The ONLY argument against aspartame I've ever seen is because of its methanol content, and again, it contains less methanol than an apple (by a factor of 1/2) per packet of aspartame.

    There is one instance where that number may vary. If stored at 185 degrees Fahrenheit over the course of MONTHS that number of methanol will increase by about 4 fold.

    Lets get real with ourselves here people. Some people can be so sensitive to even niacin (vitamin b3) that amounts most people would have absolutely no problems with will make them super flush, hot, and dizziness.

  39. Board Supporter
    Nitrox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,303
    Answers
    0

    How many of you guys ensure that the supplements that you take have received a study longer than 8 weeks?

  40. New Member
    ntrlmuscle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    91
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by jjohn View Post
    I have heard about a cop that used to drink 10 diet cokes a day, and was diagnosed with brain cancer. Coincidence? I ain't so sure..

    there are hundreds of thousands of others that consumed that much and NEVER had any complications, myself included. A single isolated incidence does not base credibility to any cause/effect relation.

  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. How bad is it?
    By Heavyappetite in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-08-2013, 07:54 PM
  2. How bad is it really?
    By MentalTwitch in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 11-29-2009, 05:37 PM
  3. Hurt myself tonight...How Bad is it Really???
    By Brfish in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-20-2009, 12:44 AM
  4. My doc is giving TRT will it hinder my recovery
    By pjsallday in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-14-2007, 08:55 AM
  5. How bad is dbol on the hair line?
    By snakebyte05 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-01-2005, 11:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in