alcohol abuse...

Alpha Omega

Alpha Omega

Awards
Well, this is kind of a hard topic for me to post on, but with the wealth of knowledge and good people here I feel this is the right place.

I first got drunk for the first time when I was 14 years old at a friends house. I did not drink steadily after that, but just when the opportunity arose. This was mainly at high school parties and such. I am 21 now and for the last two years my drinking has steadily increase. For example, on Friday and Saturday I will drink a lot of beer(7-8). I have made the decision now that I want to stay alcohol free from now on.

I recently had a physical and everything came back good so I am in good health, but I was just wondering if there is any kind of liver cleansing that I could do. I mean after several years of casual drinking I think it might be a good Idea. I feel like this will also start me off on the right food in my road to being alcohol free. Right now I have Liv.52, which I am going to start taking as a regular supplement, but I was wondering if there is any thing else more extensive.

Thanks a lot guys and any help will be greatly appreciated.

Geaux4Tigers

Awards
Milk Thistle is a good supplement for the liver. At your age you shouldn't have any problems with your liver. 7 or 8 beers is not that many. That is a light weight compared to my party days. I say enjoy a few every now and again, just keep it to a minimum. If you can't do that, then yes I suggest you stop all together. I am one of those who can't just have a few. I try to stay away from happy hour.

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Well, this is kind of a hard topic for me to post on, but with the wealth of knowledge and good people here I feel this is the right place.

I first got drunk for the first time when I was 14 years old at a friends house. I did not drink steadily after that, but just when the opportunity arose. This was mainly at high school parties and such. I am 21 now and for the last two years my drinking has steadily increase. For example, on Friday and Saturday I will drink a lot of beer(7-8). I have made the decision now that I want to stay alcohol free from now on.

I recently had a physical and everything came back good so I am in good health, but I was just wondering if there is any kind of liver cleansing that I could do. I mean after several years of casual drinking I think it might be a good Idea. I feel like this will also start me off on the right food in my road to being alcohol free. Right now I have Liv.52, which I am going to start taking as a regular supplement, but I was wondering if there is any thing else more extensive.

Thanks a lot guys and any help will be greatly appreciated.

First. WOW 7-8 beers a lot? Maybe I'm bad but congrats on drinking that little. I'd easily kill a bottle a night of tequila (not bragging just saying) - You're FINE

Second, how the heck did you get 2200+ points in 7 posts?

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
Alcohol is a tough one.

Drinking in moderation / drinking alcohol as a food is fine for most people. You start running into problems when you start using it like a drug. Statistically, something like 10% of the people that drink, become "problem drinkers."

I admire you choice not to drink. An infrequent beer isn't going to kill you... Getting drunk every night eventually will. I lost a close friend to alcohol about a year ago.

If you're one of those people that can't just have one, it's best that you don't drink at all.

-TT

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I agree that it doesn't sound like too much of a problem, however the important thing is that if YOU feel it is then by all means, stop drinking. It's not like anyone needs alcohol for anything...and typically, no good ever really comes from ethanol except cleaner emissions.

When I was your age, 7-8 beers would wreck me so I can understand that you feel it's a bit much. Without trying to read too much into your post, I'm guessing you have a hard time not drinking this much and then that does qualify as a bit of a problem.

Liv 52 is an excellent supp for long term liver care.

Good luck to you whatever you do.

Alpha Omega

Alpha Omega

Awards
Bioman do you recommend I do some sort of liver cleanse ? I have heard of diff. things but Im not sure if I should look into somethin like this...

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I would say at your age, Liv 52/milk thistle/NAC and a healthy diet would be more than enough.

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
Yea...just some basic liver supplements should be fine for you...

jaydee

Awards
  • Established
There's a product online called Livertone Plus which is pretty good, but I dont think youve got anything to worry about at all.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
For example, on Friday and Saturday I will drink a lot of beer(7-8).
That just really made me feel like an alcohalic :D

Honestly, 7 to 8 beers isnt bad at all. I do applaud your decision to quit though.

Basic liver care supps such as a standardized Milk Thistle should do you just fine.

Honorable mention - surprised no one mentioned SAMe; SAMe is good, but can be a little pricey, so see if any of its other uses would benefit you before buying it.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
AO,

There is really no need to get anxious about your liver and the alcohol consumption of the past. You health is in check based on the physical and there is no reason to worry of some underlying condition. Trust me when I say that you are a lightweight with very little miles on that road. You pulled over, now turn around and travel the direction that you know you need to travel.

That "Gym" in your avatar also has a chapel as well as a congregation and likely small groups with people who have the same desire to remain alcohol free. Connect with them and replace your Friday and Saturday night ritual with a spiritually edifying relationship with someone who can be a trusted friend and an accountability partner.

"No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your strength, but with the temptation will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it."

FishingAddict

Awards
congrats on going beer/wine/liquor free!

First of all, my grandfather drank 7-8 drinks A DAY and it was not his liver that killed him at 95.

permanate Liver damage short term for a 160 # guy starts around 10 drinks a day EVERY DAY (but that depends on the person- some rare few could be less)

There is no way you damaged your liver two nights a week on 10 beers a day- if drinking is the only bad thing you did to it. (now if you took a methalated product and drank like this that would be a different story!) Don't waste your money on sups!

Liver is a VERY durable organ. It's the only organ in the body you could cut almost all of it out and it would grow back.

The part you have to worry about it SCARRING your liver, or stressing your liver so badly day after day after day that the liver gets kinda crusty and it can not repair itself. 5 nights of rest between drinking you will be find.d

That being said- as someone noticed they got alot stronger and more ripped when they stopped drinking.

Thats because your body cant' :1.burn fat 2. grow muscle AT ALL (and there for you loose a little while drunk because some is always dying- this is why alchoholics die of heart failure with no coranary problems) while alchol is in your body and 3. your body GAINS fat while you are drinking- all this low carb crap for beer is just marketing- your liver turns the alcohol right back to SUGAR (the yeast while the liquor was brewing converted the sugar into alchohol, and the liver turns it back)!

Keep up the not drinking. I have to do the same thing. Once I start I dont' want to stop...it is actually very healthy to have 2 drinks a day...but I don't like to stop there.!:head:

charger71

Awards
  • Established
well everyones already said it, but 7-8 drinks a night is nothing! i oftan go a few months without alcohol due to ph use, but when i do drink its usually 12-20 drinks in one night and my bloodwork came back great recently. i think its more important to focus on drinking a lot of water then to quit drinking alcohol.

PumpYouUp

PumpYouUp

Awards
  • Established
HOLY!!! lol Damn as I rarely ever drink now but My god I remember going to the bar and staying till last call drunk as shunk. Im still alive lol somehow and have a lot of good story's that I dont remember but was told the next day. Anyways you dont need to waste any money on liver support unless you on a cycle. Whats your height/weight ratio?

juggernaut333

Awards
  • Established
HOLY!!! lol Damn as I rarely ever drink now but My god I remember going to the bar and staying till last call drunk as shunk. Im still alive lol somehow and have a lot of good story's that I dont remember but was told the next day. Anyways you dont need to waste any money on liver support unless you on a cycle. Whats your height/weight ratio?
just because your still alive doesnt mean u didnt do alot of damage
to recomend 'not wasting money on livery supps unless on a cycle' is one of the least intelligent posts i have ever read on any board ever.
were talkin literally a few bucks for milk thistle and nac both of which are dirt cheap.
please refrain from giving teenage mentality self destructive advice in the future.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's a problem when a person feels it is even if it was 2 beers a night. Sometimes people can catch themselves before it gets too out of hand. Other than that B5150 is a good man to listen to when it comes to these sort of things. He has a lot of insight...for an old man :)

p951

p951

Awards
Get a blood test and check your AST and ALT figures. If they are not elevated then your liver is not permanently damaged. Just learn from that, and either quit drinking or cut down to 2-3 beers on the weekends. Milk Thistle, NAC and Alpha Lipoic acid supplementation every once in a while wouldn't hurt either. If you try anything like Epistane/Havoc or anything methylated, always dose up on Milk Thistle, NAC and Alpha Lipoic acid as well as some Liverlonger by Thermolife. Just to be safe... You don't want to end up on a donor wanted list

Last edited:
Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Liver is very, very resiliant. I'm sure health wise, he's fine. I think this is more of a self induced intervention.

p951

p951

Awards
Liver is very, very resiliant. I'm sure health wise, he's fine. I think this is more of a self induced intervention.
Yes, Jayhawkk is correct in that the liver will rejunenate itself if it hasn't suffered permanent damage.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Seriously guys. This kid is a lightweight. 7-8 beers on a Friday and Saturday night is of little consequence to his health and even his liver. Please?

As Jay mentioned, there seemed to be some sort of conviction in his heart or spirit that drew him to recognize the errors of his ways and has provided him the blessing of a self induced intervention.

There is nothing wrong with his liver, there is nothing wrong with his health. But his conviction lays heavy on his heart. That can run much deeper than a blood test can detect.

But I too was a lightweight before I was a heavyweight. Heavyweights don't reign too long before they meet their demise in one way or an other.

p951

p951

Awards
Good Luck on quitting drinking. I too sometimes indulge too much several times a month. When I feel like drinking on a weekend, the first thing I will do is picture a "cheat meal" in my head. I will then order a cheat meal and a cool DVD movie. The cheat meal is usually less calories than a 12 pack of beer and I don't feel guilty about it, as long as I stay good to my diet during the week. Give it a try. If you fill your belly with food, you will be less apt to want to pick up a drink.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
alcohol will really do a number on your pychologically. It's really contributed to my adrenal fatigue over the years. Most likely the last thing your gonna have to worry about at your age is your liver. I drank a lot in highschool and my liver struggles to digest alcohol like it used to. I get sick after 2-3 beers. I'm 24 now. This started to happen a little over 2 years ago. It's basically completly toxic for me in large amounts. Everyones different though.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
listen man don't waste your money on supps. if you really have a concern that you're losing sleep over....go to the doc and have a liver and kidney work up done. I've got extensive knowledge in the field if alcoholism .....1st hand experience as a matter of fact, and after 12 years of HEAVY partying, oddly enough my liver is fine except for some scaring, but everyone is different go to the doc and get your answer.....( 7-8 beers stop it, i didn't even taste the 1st 7-8) i think you're worrying is false fear....let me know if you would though.....

p951

p951

Awards
listen man don't waste your money on supps. if you really have a concern that you're losing sleep over....go to the doc and have a liver and kidney work up done. I've got extensive knowledge in the field if alcoholism .....1st hand experience as a matter of fact, and after 12 years of HEAVY partying, oddly enough my liver is fine except for some scaring, but everyone is different go to the doc and get your answer.....( 7-8 beers stop it, i didn't even taste the 1st 7-8) i think you're worrying is false fear....let me know if you would though.....
Actually, I would spring for some Milk Thistle, NAC and ALA. I buy Bulk Powders, but if you want something more convenient pick up some Cycle or Life Support. This won't cost you more than $40 bucks. Heck, a doctor visit is about that much. Alot more I would imagine if you don't have insurance. A few months of these liver cleansing subtances will only complement your liver's rejuvenating abilities. You know, when I was in college, I smoked weed everyday and it became a part of my ritual. I went to UCSB and it was abundant there. When I graduated and got a job, I realized that I couldn't continue on that path. It was difficult for about a month as my body physically wanted it and my psyche though about it all the time. After a while though, the body adapts to not having it, and you know what - Life becomes simpler and feelings of happiness once again return without having to use a substance. It's not about when you decide to make this decision, but rather it is about making that decision. From that point on, you can choose to become a different person - A person that when you are old and gray at 90 years old, you can look back on your life and say, "I beat that and then I went on to accomplish this in my life and I helped these people out. So yeah, I made a difference for having been born. I did good. My life was full."

TheDrive

Awards
WOW!!! I feel like an alcoholic right now. I am looking at 7-8 shots and an additional 7-8 beers when I go out with the guys. Maybe it's just because I'm a sailor...LOL...the bar is within sight of my barracks, and drinks are tax free and cheap on the base... F*CK, maybe I have the problem...!!!

My question for everyone else is, how damaging is alcohol to my weight training routine/gains (I already know my liver is f*cked)? I have lately made a conscious decision to decrease the amount of booze I drink, but I know I'll still binge a couple times a month. My initial reason for slowing down on the drinking was to minimize body fat, but is it the empty calories that may be hurting my gains or is it actually the alcohol....chemically speaking? If it's just the calories, I'll switch to gin and diet sprite...Cheap beer tastes like cat piss anyway...LOL If it's an issue based on what the alcohol does to my body chemistry, maybe I'll have to take a hard look at how much I drink...

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
Very good write up! I forgot about this. When I read that I stopped drinking and then.. time went by and a few here and there. No more then 1 drink at a time though seems to have little negative effects on me. While most drugs act in one or a few ways.. alcohol has soo many actions which is why its one of the worst druga out there and it's legal. :wtf:

BIGG DOGG

BIGG DOGG

Awards
  • Established
I AGREE WITH MOST ON HERE... 7-8 BEARS ISNT THAT BAD, ESPECIALLY ONCE A WEEK... I WOULD BE MORE CONCERNED IF PILLS WERE INVOLVED... I HIGHLY DOUBT ANY DAMMAGE HAS BEEN DONE... MILK THISTLE PROBABLY ISNT NECESSARY BUT WONT HURT... I TAKE IT EVERYDAY... I RESPECT YOUR CHOICE TO BE SOBER A GREAT DEAL... ITS NOT AN EASY THING TO DO AT OUR AGE... USE YOUR NEW FOUND SOBRIETY TO YOUR ADVANTAGE...THERE ARE PLENTY OF PRETTY GIRLS THAT COULD USE A SOBER RIDE HOME....:whip: HAHA... GOOD LUCK BRO...