1. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.38%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Post Americans fail to heed advice to 'eat your vegetables'

Fri, Mar. 16, 2007

Americans fail to heed advice to 'eat your vegetables'
    Fewer than a third of those surveyed don't eat amount government guidelines recommend

By Daniel Yee
    ASSOCIATED PRESS

ATLANTA - Fewer than a third of U.S. adults eat the amount of fruits and vegetables the government recommends, a trend that has remained steady for more than a decade, health officials said Thursday.

That's "well below" the government's goal of getting 75 percent of Americans to eat two servings of fruits and having half of the population consume three servings of vegetables each day by 2010, said Dr. Larry Cohen of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The diet survey, part of a federal health survey of every state, is based on responses from 305,000 adults in 2005. It indicates the country is only about halfway toward meeting its healthful- eating goal three years from now.

"We're really concerned with the lack of success in meeting these national goals," said Cohen, who works in CDC's nutrition and physical activity division.

The rate of fruit and vegetable consumption has remained unchanged since 1994, but health officials said the goal is within reach.

"We have more work to do over the next few years," said spokeswoman Rachel Ciccarone.

Specifically, the survey showed that 27 percent of adults ate vegetables three times a day, and about 33 percent ate fruit twice a day. A serving size is a half-cup for most fruits and vegetables, one cup for leafy greens.

Seniors were more likely than others to follow advice to eat more vegetables, with slightly more than a third of that group eating three or more servings each day. Younger adults, ages 18 to 24, ate the fewest vegetables. Nearly four-fifths of that age category fell short.

Likewise, seniors also ate the most fruit, with nearly 46 percent eating two or more servings of fruit daily. People ages 35 to 44 ate fruit the least, with fewer than 28 percent eating the recommended amount of fruit each day.

The federal agency said it doesn't know why people aren't eating more veggies or fruits. Cohen said future surveys will ask people what other foods they are eating.

Susan Krause, a clinical dietitian at Hackensack University Medical Center in New Jersey, said people are eating more refined sugars or choosing protein instead of fruits and vegetables.

"There's so much information out there and people get very confused. When they're looking at protein, they feel that's the solution when they're not looking at long-term health benefits," she said. "There's so many fabricated foods now and people are looking at convenience."

Not only are fruits and vegetables lower in calories, they also have minerals and fiber that help guard against chronic diseases and cancer, the CDC says.

The survey relied on people to report what they were eating. Telephone questioners asked how often they consumed fruit juice, fruit and vegetables. Although Latinos ate the most fruits (37 percent) compared with blacks and whites, they ate the fewest vegetables, (about 20 percent). Whites, in contrast, ate the fewest fruits (31 percent) but the most vegetables (28 percent).

Cohen said the CDC has been working on family and community programs to get more people to eat vegetables. The agency is working with the U.S. Department of Agriculture to get more fresh produce into schools.

Krause said health officials should offer people simple options for getting fruits and vegetables in their diets, such as easy recipes in cooking classes and fruit smoothies or shakes in schools.

"If that's a way of getting it in, at least it's in the right direction," she said. "Certainly (whole) fruit is a better choice, but that could be the next alternative."

Eat Your Veggies

THE SURVEY: One-third of Americans eat fruit twice a day, and 27 percent eat vegetables three times a day, according to a government survey.

THE GOAL: By 2010, U.S. health officials want 75 percent of Americans to eat two fruits a day and 50 percent to eat three vegetables a day.

WHAT AMERICANS EAT INSTEAD: Future surveys will try to figure that out, but experts think it's mostly protein and convenient "fabricated foods."

CDC information: Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR)

Serving size information:

http://www.health.gov/dietaryguideli...nt/html/append ixa.htm

2. Anabolic Innovations Owner
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.01%

I am putting a big push on to get myself to eat more veggies. Wouldn't it be funny if someone did a veggie log and showed they gained more muscle, then they are called shills lol

For me the easiest way to do it is I just open a can of veggies, dump them on a plate and eat them that way. Maybe not the VERY best way to do it but a million times better than only eating gthem once or twice a month as in years past.

CROWLER
  3. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.38%

Quote Originally Posted by CROWLER View Post
    I am putting a big push on to get myself to eat more veggies. Wouldn't it be funny if someone did a veggie log and showed they gained more muscle, then they are called shills lol

For me the easiest way to do it is I just open a can of veggies, dump them on a plate and eat them that way. Maybe not the VERY best way to do it but a million times better than only eating gthem once or twice a month as in years past.

CROWLER
    I fit more in by eating a handfull of whatever I'm feeding my kids at any given time.
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.31%

Quote Originally Posted by CROWLER View Post

CROWLER
    Same, except I just heat them up in the microwave, spice them accordingly with allspice, dill, or whatever suits my taste at that time, and then go at it.

I can't eat tasteless food. Which is what prevents me from eating fast food or most American foods in general. It has to be filled with flavor and snap. Thai cuisine, French Cuisine, Japanese Cuisine, Indian cuisine, and Caribbean Cuisine...those are my elements.
  5. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.18%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

I admit it, right now I don't eat enough veggies. At one point I was eating them with every meal. Lately I'm just lazy though. What I would usually do is measure out a serving or two of brocolli or brussel sprouts and steam it. Microwaving destroys all the nutrients. I like brussel sprouts, green beans, spinach, wax beans, brocolli, asparagus. You see I know how to eat according to my diet. I'm just plain lazy sometimes and don't follow my own advice.
  6. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.39%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Lol I eat so many veggies when I got my bloodwork done I was worried about having too high Vitamin A or K because at University we have an all-you-can eat caf and I make some ridiculously large salads. There's so many good veggies out there, and throwing together say a bean salad takes just a few minutes and can be quite tasty as well as healthy. ( Easy as 3 cans bean, some bell peppers, onions, light italian dressing + dried herbs = presto! )
  7. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.33%

I have been much better at incorporating veggies into my diet this past year.

For breakfast I sometime make this egg scramble meal.

Just use a couple whole eggs, lotsa egg white and I get this asparagus stir fry frozen veggie mix and just toss half a bag in the fry pan as well to thaw and heat them up. Add a little rice and some fat free cheese and salsa and it is really good!

Similar Forum Threads

1. Be sure to eat your opossum protein.
    By prld2gr8ns in forum General Chat
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-18-2012, 01:53 PM
  2. Another way to eat your Cottage Cheese
    By gymaddict20 in forum Recipes
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 06-19-2011, 05:48 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-28-2006, 04:47 PM
  4. Are you willing to trade monotony in eating for a great body?
    By iron addict in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 106
    Last Post: 07-05-2004, 05:18 PM