post workout potien question - AnabolicMinds.com

post workout potien question

1. New Member

post workout potien question

ok when on a cycle what is a good amount of protien to take in post workout.. i have been taking in about 65-70 grams post workout is this to much or to little

2. New Member

wow anyone at all
  3. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  260 lbs.

Well Ive always been a believer that if you dont have enough you miss an opportunity for the most muscle growth and if you have too much it just gets turned into fuel to help repair the muscle anyhow.

From all Ive read PreWO is more important.I myself take 75gm pro/75gm carb shake 1/2hr or more before WO and take in 50gm pro post WO.Good luck!

Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths . Proverbs 3:5-6
    •   

4. New Member

k thanks bro
  5. Registered User

And to kindly point out, you posted this in the steriod section. try nutrition next time. Unless thats some new methyl whey I havent heard of yet.

But seriously, you will be given more consideration when you post the right questions in the right sections. Thanks--
    My The 1 LOG: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/steroids/254164-my-one-log.html
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

pre-workout- 4:1 carbohydrate to protein ratio
    post-workout- 3:1 carbohydrate to protein ratio

remember this is the time of the day when you can be using high GI carbs which will be converted to energy and restoring glycogen

these are based on studies done by my exercise physiology and advanced nutrition professors in college

no matter how big you are your body will not be able to absorb that much protein and it will most-likely store as fat

if you take in too much protein pre-workout, then your body will use it as a source for energy, which certainly is not optimal
  7. Professional Member

I usually have of preWO shake with about 25g/whey and 10g casein and 80g carbs. Then sip on a shake throughout my workout. PWO I eat a meal about 30min after I'm done.
  8. New Member

i figured it went here cause the question has to do with being on a cycle and how much protien you can asourb....
  9. New Member

thanks i guess i have my post workout protien set... just need to work on pre workout did not know it was more important thanks for pointing that out
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  256 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by jvb20 View Post
    i figured it went here cause the question has to do with being on a cycle and how much protien you can asourb....
    i have read in the past 35 grams every three hours. i cannot substantiate this with a reference however.
  11. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tom 185 View Post
    pre-workout- 4:1 carbohydrate to protein ratio
    post-workout- 3:1 carbohydrate to protein ratio

these are based on studies done by my exercise physiology and advanced nutrition professors in college
    I went to college too. None of my professors had an interest nor a basic working knowledge of bodybuilding nutrition. None of my profs were bodybuilders. I'm willing to bet my ass your profs mirror mine. Profs are not the best source of bodybuilding nutrition information, bro..

Original poster: AAS actually makes your system more efficient at using protein for growth. This means that you can actually use less. I personally wouldn't mess with the guidelines that have worked in my personal practice. Here's the math for you (or anyone else) who might be interested:

60-90 minutes preworkout, have a solid, balanced meal:

Protein = 0.25g/lb TBW
    Carbs = 0.25g/lb TBW
    Adding fat at this point is fine, use your discretion as long as it fits into your macro goals.

30-0 minutes preworkout - (and/or sipped throughout the workout), have a liquid or easily digested meal:

Protein = 0.25g/lb TBW
    Carbs = 0.25g/lb TBW
    Fat should be minimized here. Guidelines aren't hard & fast, but I personally wouldn't exceed 20% of the cals of this meal, in other words, keep the fats here incidental, not added.

Sooner the better postworkout - within 30 minutes, but optimally ASAP, have either a liquid or solid meal:

Protein = 0.25g/lb TBW
    Carbs = 0.5g/lb TBW
    Fats here should be kept minimal to moderate.
    I personally start on this shake 60 minutes into my weight workouts, which take 80-90 minutes.

Post-postworkout is simply your next sheduled meal, whether it's 1, 2, or 3 hrs later simply doesn't matter - especially if your immediate postworkout meal (which may be split up into 2 halves) was designed as above.

NOTE: The small differences are mainly geared toward simplifying the guidelines. The rest of the recommendations about food types are pretty much the same. Also note that I no longer give a damn about GI, it doesn't really make a difference one way or another. If you want high GI carbs pre and/or during training, go for it. As time has passed, GI has proven itself to be an irrelevant index. Insulinogenesis is a separate issue, and striving to keep insulin up during & postworkout is a great idea. This is accomplished by both food type & food amount, the latter being more important. There's obviously a lot more to this, but that's the important basics. The rest is fringe.
    Last edited by alan aragon; 02-22-2007 at 11:22 PM.
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by alan aragon View Post
    I went to college too. None of my professors had an interest nor a basic working knowledge of bodybuilding nutrition. None of my profs were bodybuilders. I'm willing to bet my ass your profs mirror mine. Profs are not the best source of bodybuilding nutrition information, bro..

Original poster: anabolic steroids actually makes your system more efficient at using protein for growth. This means that you can actually use less. I personally wouldn't mess with the guidelines that have worked in my personal practice. Here's the math for you (or anyone else) who might be interested:

60-90 minutes preworkout, have a solid, balanced meal:

Protein = 0.25g/lb TBW
    Carbs = 0.25g/lb TBW
    Adding fat at this point is fine, use your discretion as long as it fits into your macro goals.

30-0 minutes preworkout - (and/or sipped throughout the workout), have a liquid or easily digested meal:

Protein = 0.25g/lb TBW
    Carbs = 0.25g/lb TBW
    Fat should be minimized here. Guidelines aren't hard & fast, but I personally wouldn't exceed 20% of the cals of this meal, in other words, keep the fats here incidental, not added.

Sooner the better postworkout - within 30 minutes, but optimally ASAP, have either a liquid or solid meal:

Protein = 0.25g/lb TBW
    Carbs = 0.5g/lb TBW
    Fats here should be kept minimal to moderate.
    I personally start on this shake 60 minutes into my weight workouts, which take 80-90 minutes.

Post-postworkout is simply your next sheduled meal, whether it's 1, 2, or 3 hrs later simply doesn't matter - especially if your immediate postworkout meal (which may be split up into 2 halves) was designed as above.

NOTE: The small differences are mainly geared toward simplifying the guidelines. The rest of the recommendations about food types are pretty much the same. Also note that I no longer give a damn about GI, it doesn't really make a difference one way or another. If you want high GI carbs pre and/or during training, go for it. As time has passed, GI has proven itself to be an irrelevant index. Insulinogenesis is a separate issue, and striving to keep insulin up during & postworkout is a great idea. This is accomplished by both food type & food amount, the latter being more important. There's obviously a lot more to this, but that's the important basics. The rest is fringe.

These are 2 guys that have mulitple master's degrees..they back all of their stuff up with science..everything makes great sense and we've done several tests in exercise physiology labs. Metabolic Adaptation has a great post-workout drink that uses the 3:1 theory..they have nothing to do with my professors..GL is superior to GI yes...i still have many disagreements with what you are saying but to each his own..here is an attachment to one of my professors notepages..its not filled in completely..
    Attached Files Attached Files
  13. New Member

These are 2 guys that have mulitple master's degrees..they back all of their stuff up with science..everything makes great sense and we've done several tests in exercise physiology labs. Metabolic Adaptation has a great post-workout drink that uses the 3:1 theory..they have nothing to do with my professors..GL is superior to GI yes...i still have many disagreements with what you are saying but to each his own..here is an attachment to one of my professors notepages..its not filled in completely..
    Those guidelines are clearly not focused bodybuilding. And by the way, I don't care that they have "multiple masters degrees", I have students & clients who have MD's & PhD's.

This discussion will be interesting, I hope everyone enjoys watching it. Get you popcorn out, folks
  14. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by alan aragon View Post
    Those guidelines are clearly not focused bodybuilding. And by the way, I don't care that they have "multiple masters degrees", I have students & clients who have MD's & PhD's.

This discussion will be interesting, I hope everyone enjoys watching it. Get you popcorn out, folks
    haha alright well we can agree to disagree. they both have phD's as well
  15. New Member

haha alright well we can agree to disagree. they both have phD's as well
    Goddammit Tom, you didn't even give me a chance to mutilate that file you attached
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

hahaha
  17. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  255 lbs.

Not to break up this love fest...but Alan: does Tbw= Total Body Weight, or Target Body Weight?
  18. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by rampage jackson View Post
    Not to break up this love fest...but Alan: does Tbw= Total Body Weight, or Target Body Weight?
    I define target bodyweight (TBW) as the weight you plan to hit within the next 6-12 months. This weight is determined by what your goals are for bodyfat and/or lean mass change. So for example, if someone wants to keep his BF stable & gain 10 lbs of muscle in the next 6 months (that's a pretty tall order for advanced guys close to their potential), then just add 10 lbs to your current BW & base the calculations on that. Target BW is something that has to be periodically re-evaluated.

And let me also emphasized that formulas are merely tools to get you in the ballpark, they're not set in stone by any means. In fact, awareness of your historical intake is the best starting point. Formulas come in handy for people without an awareness of their historical intake due to haphazard or inconsistent intake. Thus for them, formulas can establish a reasonable starting point from which to put to trial & adjust as necessary.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Post workout insulin (humalog) questions
    By mark118 in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-09-2009, 03:23 PM
  2. Post Workout Nutrition Questions
    By Harry Manback in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-06-2009, 08:42 AM
  3. Pre workout and Post workout Shake Question?
    By ali11atc in forum Bulking
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-01-2009, 02:02 PM
  4. post workout potien question
    By jvb20 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-22-2007, 12:03 PM
  5. Post workout questions
    By jstn0127 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-06-2006, 01:14 PM