protein powder overdose?

quignov

Awards
Hi. My roommate is a freak with her protein powder. She has this "muscle building powder" in two so called flavors...vanilla and chocolate. I am concerned about her nutrition because she puts this stuff on everything she eats...although I must admit, she did have one that tasted alright...she took some steel cut oats and put the vanilla powder in them along with apples. So, do you think that this is freakishly unhealthy for her to be eating sooo much of the powder? She literally has like 30 pounds of it stashed in the kitchen...I think she is hording it for the coming armageddon, I really dont' know.

Cheers, Quig

Quinc

Quinc

Awards
  • Established
you came to the right place. start reading! her protein powder either comes from soy, milk, or eggs. It sounds like you should be taking nutrition advice from her.

snakebyte05

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
a little bit better advice is you don't have anything to worry about. I doubt if she is just sprinkling it on food she is even taking that much. Regardless if she is making shakes or not, it is completely fine. Most people who weight lift take protein powder to help get more protein during the day.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Anybody that eats steel cuts is already a champ ;) God I love the stuff lol. Anyways protein powder is a great way to get a little bit of protein in with otherwise high-carb meals for many people. I know it makes breakfast easier tossing some chocolate powder in with my steel cut oats :)

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Nothing freakishly unhealthy about protein powder quig. I think most of the members here would be dead if that was the case ;) On the other hand, it would be best if your friend can rely on whole foods as much as possible :)

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
you want to make sure you are drinking plenty of water with the protein. I'm sure she is. sounds like her diet is good. I put protein on everything too. Its pretty bad that people think we are freaks because we eat healthy.

cameronjames

Awards
Re:

Hello,

I think you are so conscious about nutrition but consider me the protein powder taken by your friend gets no harm to her health. So don’t worry about her health. For your satisfaction you may check which type of protein powder she takes it is soy protein or other.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
just to pile on:

if she's still eating "real (solid) food", and using the protein powder as an actual supplement, she's almost certainly fine. If she's replacing real food with the powder (or even trying to) that's not so good.

Signs of an "overdose" (so-called) would be extreme flatulence AND our old friend, "anal leakage" - and to be fair, BOTH of these could have other causes...but since protein is non-toxic, there's really no chance of an overdose.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
LAWLZ at thinking you can get too much protein.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
EpiStrong Supplements 30
LJ57 Supplements 23
LJ57 Supplements 1
akboom87 Supplements 34
Supplements 7