what kind of oats do you use?

vision

i've been eating oatmeal everyday for years and i noticed that a lot of people here use oats also. I've read some people putting oats in their shakes. I was wondering what type of oats you use? Do you buy oatmeal and just dump it in your shake or do you use plain oats? If you use plain oats where do you buy them at?

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
I use rolled oats, or plain quaker oats. When desperate i throw a few packs of individual serving oatmeal packs and if you buy shakes form the gym i ask them to add it in the shake i get, or just make it at home.

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
Quaker rolled oats. I grind them up in a food processor for use in shakes.

monster stealth

Awards
The cheapest instant I can find. When I put them in my shake I usually throw them in there first, grind them up, and then add everything else

vision

thanks for the quick replies. I look forward to mixing my oats in a shake tomorrow instead of the regular oatmeal. I think i might throw some in my post WO shake too!

SprtNvolcoM

SprtNvolcoM

On a Mission!
Awards
  • Established
Raw oat bran in the shakes and the occasional bowl od oat meal cereal. Thats it ... keeps me regular!

Sprt

moflika

Awards
Some really hard rolled oats that you find in bulk bins at your local hippie market.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I picked up something called Coach's Oats. They are cut strangely, and not mushy at all. Very tasty.

Costo, FTW.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I picked up something called Coach's Oats. They are cut strangely, and not mushy at all. Very tasty.

Costo, FTW.

Big BAMA

Big BAMA

Awards
  • Established
I have been eating Muscle Milks Oats. Chocolate or vanilla are pretty good and also have 30g of protien mixed in. I keep about four servings in the bottom drawer of my desk. I can pop one in the microwave at work in the mornings after my post workout shake.

dannyboy9

dannyboy9

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I have been eating Muscle Milks Oats. Chocolate or vanilla are pretty good and also have 30g of protien mixed in. I keep about four servings in the bottom drawer of my desk. I can pop one in the microwave at work in the mornings after my post workout shake.
I liked the Vanilla MM 'n Oats but that was back in the day when I could afford the delicacy:icon_lol:

Mega NRG Man

Mega NRG Man

Awards
[Gigantic_wuss]

I can't stand oatmeal. It's disgusting. Never had to eat it and I can't stand the thought of shoveling down animal feed after trying plain Quaker oats once.

[/Gigantic_wuss]

Which is mostly why I've been trying to run away from eating a lot of food. The idea of eating as much oats as you guys, and that's as much as a thoroughbred stallion, is frightening.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The steel cut oats are on sale at Bob's Red mill ( They're quite often on sale actually lol). It's $15/25 lbs, and $22 if you want organic. I've tried a bunch of different steel cut oats, and these ones had the best texture. Went through the 25 lb bag pretty quickly.

They also have some great wholewheat flours & stuff to check out for your protein pancakes/other foods. Great company.

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
[Gigantic_wuss]

I can't stand oatmeal. It's disgusting. Never had to eat it and I can't stand the thought of shoveling down animal feed after trying plain Quaker oats once.

[/Gigantic_wuss]

Which is mostly why I've been trying to run away from eating a lot of food. The idea of eating as much oats as you guys, and that's as much as a thoroughbred stallion, is frightening.
there are millions of ways to flavor oatmeal and make it taste great. u usually do stevia and cinnamon myself but ive tried adding davinci and wladen farms syrups and this makes it really good. since ive cut back on artificial sweeteners, i like honey and cinnamon mixed with oats. if youre not willing to give oats another try, experiement with other grains. i like other hot cereals from buckwheat , barley, or rye. good stuff!

Mega NRG Man

Mega NRG Man

Awards
there are millions of ways to flavor oatmeal and make it taste great. u usually do stevia and cinnamon myself but ive tried adding davinci and wladen farms syrups and this makes it really good. since ive cut back on artificial sweeteners, i like honey and cinnamon mixed with oats. if youre not willing to give oats another try, experiement with other grains. i like other hot cereals from buckwheat , barley, or rye. good stuff!
Hmmm...you know, that doesn't sound half bad. I guess I'll go give it a try. Thanks.

evoVIII

evoVIII

Awards
Right now i'm using organic rolled oats from Loblaw's (canadian super market).

Is steel cut that much better? Right now from what i gather it takes a fair bit more time cooking vs. I just put boiling water into a cup of rolled oats.

I don't flavour mine, I just wash it down with green tea. Though that means I don't end up chewing it but I figured it'll bulk up my stool even more.

agpetz

Awards
Right now i'm using organic rolled oats from Loblaw's (canadian super market).

Is steel cut that much better? Right now from what i gather it takes a fair bit more time cooking vs. I just put boiling water into a cup of rolled oats.

I don't flavour mine, I just wash it down with green tea. Though that means I don't end up chewing it but I figured it'll bulk up my stool even more.
Steel cut taste a little different. I toast mine before cooking and it adds a little bit of a nutty taste. Add a little salt and good to go.

nvr2loud

nvr2loud

Awards
  • Established
Old-fashioned Oats or Steel-Cut Oats is what I usually get. I also use Ezekiel cereal once in awhile to add a little variety. The profile for it is excellent. And it taste good too.

ryan6f7

Awards
snoqaulmie falls outmeal is the best ive ever had. I dont know if you can get it outside of washington but it is gooooooood

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Old Fashioned Organic Scottish Oats. They own all.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
I eat so much oatmeal that I end up buying all sorts of different brrands just to change things-up a bit. Mostly I use organic instant oats because I'm always pressed for time.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I eat so much oatmeal that I end up buying all sorts of different brrands just to change things-up a bit. Mostly I use organic instant oats because I'm always pressed for time.
A great trick that works for me as a student is for the longer-cooking oats just boil up some water before going to bed, put about 1/2 cup of the steelcut oats in a bowl with the boiling water and just put a plate on top and in the morning they will be about half cooked. Zap them for about 5 minutes or so and they're good to go; almost as quick as instant and yet better texture :)

Dagron

Dagron

Awards
Steal cut oats from a local Amish store. So good, make you wanna slap you momma!

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
A great trick that works for me as a student is for the longer-cooking oats just boil up some water before going to bed, put about 1/2 cup of the steelcut oats in a bowl with the boiling water and just put a plate on top and in the morning they will be about half cooked. Zap them for about 5 minutes or so and they're good to go; almost as quick as instant and yet better texture :)
Thanks for the advice.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
Costco: Quaker Old Fashioned Oats = best bulk buy.

and

John McCann's Steel Cut Irish Oats.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
Quaker Oats. I put them in the blender and grind them to a powder. That way when i throw them in my shake they are barley there. Put them in whatever, its as fine as a protein powder. :woohoo:

firefighter2032

firefighter2032

Awards
  • Established
How about Now Foods Oat Bran?

Could it be simply added to a protein shake for carbs?

It's Oats that are already ground up.

And when you add oats to your protein shake, how's it change the taste?

Or any other suggestions for adding carbs. I don't really want to go with the dextrose or fructose. They seem to have more of a tendency to mess with my blood sugar (hypoglycemic). Plus I get Now Foods products at a greatly reduced price.

Thanks

RugbyHooligan

RugbyHooligan

Awards
I prefer steel cut but when I am rushing in the morning I don't feel like preparing them.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
Those oats are a bit too conservative for my tastes. :hammer:

ahem...

ARE YOU FVCKING KIDDING ME?????

You picked Old Fashioned Scottish Oats, and you say Irish Oats are too conservative? Oats are oats... jesus christ.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
ahem...

ARE YOU FVCKING KIDDING ME?????

You picked Old Fashioned Scottish Oats, and you say Irish Oats are too conservative? Oats are oats... jesus christ.
maybe he has something against the Irish lol.

I use the cheapest instant oats i can buy usually the grocery store generic type :) . oats are oats but can anyone tell me the difference between steel cut and say quaker oats?