water and sleep

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.62%

water and sleep

These are probably the two most important things to get right along with diet so I want to make sure I'm doing it right.

How much water should someone who is bulking consume each day. I'm 5'8 158 lbs. male

When is the best time to drink water?

How much water should I take when I wake up and start the day?

How much water should be taken for each meal? Will this help my body absorb everything I eat much better than any other liquid?

How much rest should a person who is bulking get?

How do you find out how much rest your body needs?

Do you get much better results in your goals if you have a standard and consistent time for when you go to sleep and wake up?

2. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.44%

I usually drink water all day. I sip on it all day, instead of just gulping down a lot at once.

I usually limit water intake during a hi-carb meal, otherwise i get REALLY bloated.

I've found that 8-10 hours per night of sleep is best. Its even BETTER when you have a set schedule. I know for me, when I get to bed every night at 11 and wake up at 7 I feel the best and make the best gains. When I'm sleeping at weird times and taking naps I feel like crap most of the day.
  3. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.94%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by massarmor
    These are probably the two most important things to get right along with diet so I want to make sure I'm doing it right.

How much water should someone who is bulking consume each day. I'm 5'8 158 lbs. male

When is the best time to drink water?

How much water should I take when I wake up and start the day?

How much water should be taken for each meal? Will this help my body absorb everything I eat much better than any other liquid?

How much rest should a person who is bulking get?

How do you find out how much rest your body needs?

Do you get much better results in your goals if you have a standard and consistent time for when you go to sleep and wake up?
    This is so basic but overlooked. Im glad you brought this up.

To answer your questions :

When is the best time to drink water? From the time you get up intill the time you go to bed. Now if you dont want to get up you might want to taper down by the time you go to bed but i find i have to get up anyways so i say just drink and drink at least a gallon a day.Im two hundred pounds so you might can take less.

How much water should I take when I wake up and start the day? Start Drinking Asap, after consuming your first meal, wash it down baby

How much water should be taken for each meal? Will this help my body absorb everything I eat much better than any other liquid? Again Wash it down afterwards. and if itll aid in the food feeling smoother going down.

How much rest should a person who is bulking get? A trained Athelite needs more rest than the untrained. I say eight too ten hours works best for me.

How do you find out how much rest your body needs? Youll know by how you feel. Too much can cause you to feel tired.Too little can cause you to be slower than you normally would perform.

Do you get much better results in your goals if you have a standard and consistent time for when you go to sleep and wake up?[/QUOTE] Yes i do i try to go to alseep around the same times. This has to do with Circulam(sp) rymthms(sp).
    If you do need to change your sleep habits i suggest taking a melotonin pill, or maybe a sleep aid for a few days intill your body gets adjusted too it. When you change your sleep schedule you will feel much different.
    •   

4. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'11"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.91%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

When is the best time to drink water?I would actually say try and drink over 1 gallon a day, more like 1.5

How much water should I take when I wake up and start the day? Drink from the time you wake up, I personally have a bottle of water with me next to my bed all night and sip on it if I wake up at night, and then finish it off in the am while making meal 1

How much water should be taken for each meal? Will this help my body absorb everything I eat much better than any other liquid? just keep it constant all day, no need to drink more or less during meals

How much rest should a person who is bulking get? .8-10

How do you find out how much rest your body needs? I believe 8-10 is perfect. But you just have to work with it, you're body will let you know.

Do you get much better results in your goals if you have a standard and consistent time for when you go to sleep and wake up?Your body will repond better when the sleep is constant and not interupted.
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.71%

I try not to drink to much 20 min. before or after higher carb meals. I just sip a little as needed with meal. This helpes me not get bloated dureing or soon after meals.
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.46%

I remember reading that drinking too much water close to meals is not a good thing, it dilutes the hydrochloric acid in your stomach which effects the digestion process. Anyone else ever hear this before? I'll see if I can find a source.
  7. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.74%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Excellent post and questions.

I try to get somewhere around a gallon a day. I've tried more but it's unrealisitc in my life. I also lowered the amount I drink with meals. I was actually getting digestive issues which I attributed to drinking too much water with my foods...I know people who consume upwards of 2 gallons on their leg days when going for intensity.

Rest? 6-8 hours is ideal for me. Anything over that and I stay sleepy the whole day. Sleep hours will vary but I would say whatever you need to get trhough the day and wake up feeling refreshed without added stimulents.
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.71%

On page 25 in Game Over talkes about water with carb loads. It recommends drinking 4 to 6oz. of water one hour prior to the carb meal then 4 to 6oz. 45min. to 60mins. after the meal. Excess water with meal tends to draw water into the abdomen, resulting in bloating and filling full before the meal is complete.
  9. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.62%

so it's better to not drink a lot of water before meals so we don't flush out our stomach fluids for digestion?

Would that be the same for drinking water while eating at the same time?
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.85%

Quote Originally Posted by 314
    On page 25 in Game Over talkes about water with carb loads. It recommends drinking 4 to 6oz. of water one hour prior to the carb meal then 4 to 6oz. 45min. to 60mins. after the meal. Excess water with meal tends to draw water into the abdomen, resulting in bloating and filling full before the meal is complete.
    Wow, if this is the case then drinking excess water with a meal would be good for those individuals that tend to overeat.

Nice.
  11. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.62%

the vitamins that I take recommend taking 8 oz. of water with one pill. So if that's just for one vitamin then we probably need much more water than that during a meal for whole food right?
  12. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.62%

Does the recomended gallon of water a day include water that is contained in juices and foods?
  13. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.07%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by massarmor
    Does the recomended gallon of water a day include water that is contained in juices and foods?
    Yes. About 20% of the water we consume comes from foods. I still drink 1.25-1.5 gallons of water a day though.
  14. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.7%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

jumpin on board
  15. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.17%

this was helpful
  16. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.5%

Depends how much you sweat. You can weigh yourself before and after exercise and figure out how much you need to replace.
    1 liter = 1kg (2.2lb)
    Other then that maintain at about a gallon sounds good. I agree with steady intake throughout the day for better absorption, as well as minimizing drinking around meals (digestion).

As far as sleep, definitely get into a rhythm (google circadian for more info), but basically you optimize hormone release (thats right test., HGH, etc.!) by having a good rhythm. Taking a nap you will get another shot of test and HGH, but it can be hard to get a quality one in without messing up your rhythm. I have heard not longer then about 45min. and not later then about 2pm as a guideline. good luck!
  17. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.86%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I find I wake up thirsty so drinking atleast half a litre before bed maybe sometimes even 1 litre if I can manage.
    Aparrently, throughout the day you should be sipping your water when you get the chance not skulling it all then skulling more hours later, dont know how much truth is in that though, but it makes sense.

I think quality of water is overlooked a lot, just like quality of sleep is important too.
    Look at the mineral content of your water, less isnt neccesarily better, if your kidneys are in good function then it will help your liver and a high protein diet and heavy work outs do put abit of strain on the liver.

Water with a low mineral content will have a more acidic PH wich isnt optimal.
    After looking at the mineral contents of a lot of bottled water and even going to the length of using them on PH sticks, I found the best bottles waters to be Evian and Panna. Evian claims a 7.18 PH while Panna claims a PH of 8.1. On a PH stick they both come back as alkaline while the low mineral content bottled water and my tap water came back acidic.
    Evian has the better mineral profile with high bicarbonates, good balance of calcium and magnesium and low in stuff you dont want, while Panna is slightly less pure.
    If you were to add a tiny bit of sea salt to Evian water you should give it a really good mineral and electrolyte content, raise its PH and give it a better taste.
    The only problem is these waters are really expensive. Double the price of fuel o.0

btw im aware: “The minerals which the human body needs that are in the water are insignificant to those in food… and anyone simply eating a varied diet, not even a balanced diet, could hardly suffer a mineral deficiency.”
    But its about the PH and when your fasting such as drinking water in the morning it will help your electrolyte count.
    Last edited by ItsHectic; 01-21-2007 at 03:39 PM.
  18. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.23%

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkk
    Rest? 6-8 hours is ideal for me. Anything over that and I stay sleepy the whole day. Sleep hours will vary but I would say whatever you need to get trhough the day and wake up feeling refreshed without added stimulents.
    Same here for the rest. Any more and I feel tired after work and before I go to the gym.

As for water I do the sip thing too. We have Kentwood water at work and I always have a big cup sitting at my desk

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-08-2006, 01:40 AM
  2. Myths of Water and Dehydration
    By T-Bone in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-14-2005, 03:10 PM
  3. CPAP and sleep apnea
    By utk1976 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-01-2005, 12:38 AM
  4. M1t and Sleep - PLEASE HELP!