yogurt vs cottage cheese - AnabolicMinds.com

yogurt vs cottage cheese

  1. GO_OUTSIDE!'s Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Age
    43
    Posts
    163
    Rep Power
    488

    Reputation

    yogurt vs cottage cheese


    Anybody know what the casein/ whey breakdown for yogurt is?
    Are there other high casein products that dont cause a high insulin spike?
    I'm looking for a bedtime slow release protein and was hoping to stick with a whole food.

  2. Nitrox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,303
    Rep Power
    801

    Reputation

    What is your concern with the insulin index of cottage cheese?

    Yogurt generally has less protein and more carbs (from lactose) than cottage cheese so it's not really a better bed time protein source.
    Last edited by Nitrox; 12-16-2006 at 11:27 PM.
  3. DazzlinJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    328
    Rep Power
    266

    Reputation

    yeah i take the cheese. sure it doesn't have the acidophilus in it but my body can't take not being able to break apart the tight sugar bond posed by lactose. stupid highly constricted nexus of two molecules! and the HFCS in yogurt isn't too nice either
    •   
       

  4. djl
    djl's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  263 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    48
    Posts
    631
    Rep Power
    418

    Reputation

    Just started making my own yogurt. Using Lactaid milk instead of normal milk, so lactose should be quite minimal. And I have full control over what goes into it

    (Oh, and it tastes really good!)
  5. Scottyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    1,001
    Rep Power
    642

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by DazzlinJack
    yeah i take the cheese. sure it doesn't have the acidophilus in it but my body can't take not being able to break apart the tight sugar bond posed by lactose. stupid highly constricted nexus of two molecules! and the HFCS in yogurt isn't too nice either

    the HFCS is only in the flavored yogurt...so thats comparing apples to oranges (in even another sense).

    And the probiotics in yogurts, and especially in probiotic supplements, is a godsend for some of us.
  6. GO_OUTSIDE!'s Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Age
    43
    Posts
    163
    Rep Power
    488

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrox
    What is your concern with the insulin index of cottage cheese?

    Yogurt generally has less protein and more carbs (from lactose) than cottage cheese so it's not really a better bed time protein source.

    I am trying to increase my insulin sensitivity. I get a spike with dinner I dont want another one at bed time.
    I guess the casein/whey ratio is the same for yogurt huh?
    I''ll just get used to the cheese.
    Thanks.
  7. GO_OUTSIDE!'s Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Age
    43
    Posts
    163
    Rep Power
    488

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by djl
    Just started making my own yogurt. Using Lactaid milk instead of normal milk, so lactose should be quite minimal. And I have full control over what goes into it

    (Oh, and it tastes really good!)
    Do you have alot of spare time or is this easier than I imagine>
  8. djl
    djl's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  263 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    48
    Posts
    631
    Rep Power
    418

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by GO_OUTSIDE!
    Do you have alot of spare time or is this easier than I imagine>
    It's actually pretty easy. Bring milk close to a boil, let cool down to about 110 degrees F. Stir in a culture starter, pour everything into the yogurt maker.

    7 or so hours later, you just stir in whatever optional stuff you want for flavoring (sugar/nutrasweet/sucralose, fresh fruit, whatever), and pop your fresh yogurt into the fridge to get to fridge temp.

    You only do about half an hour's worth of stuff, nature takes care of the other 7 or so hours

    It was pleasantly painless
  9. GO_OUTSIDE!'s Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Age
    43
    Posts
    163
    Rep Power
    488

    Reputation

    interesting...this could come in handy. Lactose free yogurt...
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Cottage cheese and low fat yogurt mix
    By ChrisSurf in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-01-2010, 08:03 PM
  2. cottage cheese with yogurt
    By Bigguy851 in forum Recipes
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-04-2008, 10:33 PM
  3. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-25-2004, 04:37 AM
  4. cottage cheese no salt added
    By sage in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-28-2003, 12:16 PM
  5. No tuna!!! mmmm Cottage cheese
    By Sanosuke in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-04-2002, 12:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in