question about protein - AnabolicMinds.com

question about protein

1. New Member
    Answers

question about protein

i've been at the gym for about 3-4 months on and off now and i've seen some progress. recently i've started using protein shakes and i've been wondering when is the best time to drink it? before/during or after workouts?

also is there a specific kind of protein supplement that is good for a "beginner" at the gym i'd like to get a tub and make it at home rather than paying for it every time at the gym (costs too much ) there's so many different tubs of protein stuff at the gym does it really matter which one i get?

thx!

2. New Member
    Answers

i usually just look for any kind of protein that is on sale. supposedly protein isolate is better than the ordinary whey protein, but personally i have not seen much of a difference. it doesnt really matter when you drink your shakes, but i would suggest however to drink one post workout, as your muscles need the protein after your workout to grow. im not expert on this, but i hope that helps a little bit. im sure someone else can chime in with more info.

3. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Answers

Well, I would suggest your protein drink to be taken after your workout to get the most benefit. Other times of the day you can rely on whole foods for your nutrition.

As far as brands? I'll give you my 2cents based off use,taste and price.

Anabolicinnovations-Whey Protein Isolate- Peanutbutter/banana

Taste is excellent and the price through Nutraplanet or Custom nutrition wharehouse is very affordable.

Optimum Nutrition-Whey Protein Isolate-Vanilla Icecream and Chocolate

Taste very good especially when you throw in a banana and use skim milk. Price is very affordable and can be found at any of our board sponsor retail stores here.

Muscle Milk-Carb conscious lean muscle formula- Chocolate premix

Tastes good and very easy to grab and go but is also high in fat compared to the other two(13 grams). I use it primarily as a last resort for a meal replacement. Cost isn't too bad but a lot more than just buying the powder and mixing it yourself. You can also find it here at various board sponsors.

•   

4. New Member
    Answers

Before bed is another good time to take protein shakes. The basic idea here to get slow digesting protein for aminos throughout the night. Go with casein or regular whey mixed with skim and all natural PB.

5. New Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by NDjets78
    Before bed is another good time to take protein shakes. The basic idea here to get slow digesting protein for aminos throughout the night. Go with casein or regular whey mixed with skim and all natural PB.
    ive always wondered about people saying "natural" peanut butter. what is natural vs unnatural? i just got some jif creamy peanut butter. it doesnt specify on the bottle if it is natural or not.

6. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  195 lbs.
    Answers

Kabigon, as far as when to take the whey, well I take it with water directly after a workout. I add ground oats or oat flour and skim milk if I take it any other time of the day IE running late and have a shake for breakfast or if I take one before bed b/c I'm tired of eating cottage cheese.

If you're unsure about buying protein without knowing what it will taste like you could click the link in my signature, give some samples a try, and receive a 10% off discount code for your next purchase. I like our Peanutbutter chocolate the best!

Truly Natural PB will only contain peanuts and salt.
    RcB Since 09-06-2011 20:55 EST, Post 49

7. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Answers

Natty PB usually will have less sugar as well.

I stopped taking protein before bed and went with cottage cheese or something of that nature instead.

8. New Member
    Answers

thanks for the input you guys i just have another question i work part time as a package handler for fedex and it's pretty strenuous job i was wondering if i should take a protein shake before going to work and one after (it's about 5-6 hour shifts) also i picked up a tub of 100% Protein Whey Vanilla - 908g at my local store anyone have any thoughts or comments about it? thanks in advance

9. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Answers

I would eat a healthy carb meal before long strenuous day. Solid carbs will fuel you much longer and easier for instant energy over protein. Of course it's okay to have protein and fats in there but I would have those as the lesser part of the meal. Also perhaps having some handy snakes to refuel ya if you don't get a lot of breaks.

Can you post the ingredient list? I'm not familiar with that brand.

10. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  195 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkk
    Also perhaps having some handy snakes to refuel ya if you don't get a lot of breaks.
    Snakes would be considered protein, right? LOL, just busting your chops some Jay. Carry on.
    RcB Since 09-06-2011 20:55 EST, Post 49

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-30-2011, 05:11 PM
  2. Question About Protein Powder
    By vpower in forum Supplements
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-22-2010, 12:46 PM
  3. Question about Protein intake
    By LiLShAnK357 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 1