Poll: How do u lay out ur pre-workout routine

Pre-workout meal timing

1. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.59%

Pre-workout meal timing

Ok so there are alot of new pre-workout supps out there (chaos, no-xplode,superpump250, V12, CVM, etc.....) that all say to take on an empty stomach 45-60 minutes before workout. I want to start on one of these but I usually take my pre-workout meal an hour before workouts that consist of30 gr.carbs/ 50gr. proetin/ 5gr. fat. So what do all u guys do for your pre-workout meal with these supps.

2. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.53%

"Empty Stomach" has to be defined. True empty stomach (technically called postabsorptive state) is upon waking in the morning. Beyond that, there's a continuum of fed versus fasted. I think it's optimal to be in the mid-absorptive phase of a meal during training. That means training should begin 60-90 minutes after a large meal (if it's legs or ab training, then up to 2 hrs or so if you're prone to upchucking). If it's something more quickly digested like a small meal or shake, then within 30 minutes preworkout is tolerable for most. There's also nothing wrong with sipping a prot/carb shake throughout pre, during, & postworkout, especially if you train longer than 90 minutes. The superior benefits of absorbing prot & carbs during training instead of training fasted are well documented.

^^With all that said, I personally can't reconcile the idea of going into a training bout on an empty stomach just so I can take X Y or Z supplement.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.23%

(chaos, no-xplode,superpump250, V12, CVM, etc.....)
    I only have only tried CVM out of the products listed above, but the label says a serving 30 min pre workout, and another 8-12 hrs later preferably 30 min prior to a meal, and on off days 2 serv prior to meals.So for the first serving a fasted state is not required.
    I eat lunch (my largest meal) at 11:30 take pre workout supps at 12:30 then hit the gym at 1pm. If you are taking a supp like "POWERFULL" that calls for a fasted state for servings then Alan's strategy with the shake during workout sounds like a great idea.
    My workouts suffer bigtime without the meal 90 min pre/wo.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  231 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.14%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

eat a meal 1 hour before. PreW supps 30 minutes before. POW shake 5-10 minutes after and larger meal 1 hour after.
  5. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.31%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEPALADIN
    I only have only tried CVM out of the products listed above, but the label says a serving 30 min pre workout, and another 8-12 hrs later preferably 30 min prior to a meal, and on off days 2 serv prior to meals.So for the first serving a fasted state is not required.
    I eat lunch (my largest meal) at 11:30 take pre workout supps at 12:30 then hit the gym at 1pm. If you are taking a supp like "POWERFULL" that calls for a fasted state for servings then Alan's strategy with the shake during workout sounds like a great idea.
    My workouts suffer bigtime without the meal 90 min pre/wo.

How did the CVM work out for ya?
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.23%

How did the CVM work out for ya
    ?
    Good product, but i discontinued use because it has Glycocymine in it, I do like the SNS E2 matrix caps though.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.62%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Meal is 1 hr. for me and 30 minutes for my creatine
  8. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.58%

i drink my blended oats and whey shake while walking to the gym about 15 minutes before i start training

i think people get way too specific with this stuff

i've taking it 1 hour, 1.5 hours, half an hour, and 10 minutes before each for long enough periods of time to tell you there is no noticible difference
  9. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.16%

My last meal is 3 hours before, I can only lift on a almost empty stomach. I have BCAA immediately before, sometimes with carbs [typically honey] and it has never been better. Works for me...
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.39%

I have a normal meal of like a tuna sandy, pasta and fruit about 3 hours pre, then about an hour pre I have oats and whey then on my way to the gym I have bcaa, lycine, aakg, taurine, tyrosine, glucogalactone, caffine and cee.
  11. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.4%

Quote Originally Posted by alan aragon View Post
    "Empty Stomach" has to be defined. True empty stomach (technically called postabsorptive state) is upon waking in the morning. Beyond that, there's a continuum of fed versus fasted. I think it's optimal to be in the mid-absorptive phase of a meal during training. That means training should begin 60-90 minutes after a large meal (if it's legs or ab training, then up to 2 hrs or so if you're prone to upchucking). If it's something more quickly digested like a small meal or shake, then within 30 minutes preworkout is tolerable for most. There's also nothing wrong with sipping a prot/carb shake throughout pre, during, & postworkout, especially if you train longer than 90 minutes. The superior benefits of absorbing prot & carbs during training instead of training fasted are well documented.

^^With all that said, I personally can't reconcile the idea of going into a training bout on an empty stomach just so I can take X Y or Z supplement.
    Please listen to this guy..he know his sh*T 100x over, and pump products are ghey as sh*t and serve no functional purpose besides being that douche bag in front of the mirror dedicating a day to bi's and forearms all while the guy in the rack squatting 405 is preceding you in life and lifting.
  12. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.9%

7oz Chicken and 1.5 Cups Brown Rice @ 2:00P.M. Then at 4:00 start drinking Shock Therapy while I get out of my work clothes. As soon as I'm dressed for the gym I head out and by the time I finish my warm up sets. I'm feeling great!
  13. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.14%

I'm with you on the empty stomach thing, I dont like to feel hungry or worn down while I'm lifting. So I'd rather take my no-explode, superpump, or whatever the case may be with a little bit of food still hanging around than wait until my stomach is empty. I've tried it like that, and I never feel like i have a good workout
  14. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.09%

i drink blended oats and whey anywhere from 15min-1hr prior to w/o...just depends on how I feel after I drink it along with the day of the week and of course what body part what i am training...with legs I have to wait it out
  15. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.53%

I used to drink a shake immediately before working out but then I read an article that said that right before or during is the worst thing you can do because your body needs to be focusing on other things such as shuttling blood to your muscles while working out and not on digesting food. What I started doing now is eating lunch at noon, drinking a whey shake with a little bit of carbs about 1.5 hours before workout(about 3 PM), taking pre workout supps about 30 mins before workout(4 PM) and then free form aminos such as Leucine, Taurine, Glutamine immediately before workout, during would be great also. Then post workout lots of quick acting carbs and another whey shake with more free form aminos and creatine. I have found this to be very effective and recovery is phenomenel.
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'4"  155 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.87%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Meal 2-3 hours before
    Shake 2 hours after meal
    Pre-Workout 15-20 min before
  17. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.97%

Quote Originally Posted by alan aragon View Post

18. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.67%

Quote Originally Posted by sullyx44 View Post
    7oz Chicken and 1.5 Cups Brown Rice @ 2:00P.M. Then at 4:00 start drinking Shock Therapy while I get out of my work clothes. As soon as I'm dressed for the gym I head out and by the time I finish my warm up sets. I'm feeling great!
    I am jealous of youre structured schedule! workin to better mine. i eat about an 1.5 before lift and, n.o. about 25min before.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Pre-workout meal timing question
    By JudoJosh in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-21-2011, 02:14 AM
  2. pre-workout meal?
    By BoyFromAus in forum Bulking
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 02-04-2009, 11:56 PM
  3. pre workout meal
    By Farmboy in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 19