New York to ban Trans-Fats in resturants - AnabolicMinds.com

New York to ban Trans-Fats in resturants

1. Elite Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

New York to ban Trans-Fats in resturants

NEW YORK (AP) -- Three years after the city banned smoking in restaurants, health officials are talking about prohibiting something they say is almost as bad: artificial trans fatty acids.

The city health department unveiled a proposal Tuesday that would bar cooks at any of the city's 24,600 food service establishments from using ingredients that contain the artery-clogging substance, commonly listed on food labels as partially hydrogenated oil.

Artificial trans fats are found in some shortenings, margarine and frying oils and turn up in foods from pie crusts to french fries to doughnuts.

Doctors agree that trans fats are unhealthy in nearly any amount, but a spokesman for the restaurant industry said he was stunned the city would seek to ban a legal ingredient found in millions of American kitchens.

"Labeling is one thing, but when they totally ban a product, it goes well beyond what we think is prudent and acceptable," said Chuck Hunt, executive vice president of the city's chapter of the New York State Restaurant Association.

He said the proposal could create havoc: Cooks would be forced to discard old recipes and scrutinize every ingredient in their pantry. A restaurant could face a fine if an inspector finds the wrong type of vegetable shortening on its shelves.

The proposal also would create a huge problem for national chains. Among the fast foods that would need to get an overhaul or face a ban: McDonald's french fries, Kentucky Fried Chicken and several varieties of Dunkin' Donuts.

Health Commissioner Thomas Frieden acknowledged that the ban would be a challenge for restaurants, but he said trans fats can easily be replaced with substitute oils that taste the same or better and are far less unhealthy.

"It is a dangerous and unnecessary ingredient," Frieden said. "No one will miss it when it's gone."

A similar ban on trans fats in restaurant food has been proposed in Chicago and is still under consideration, although it has been ridiculed by some as unnecessary government meddling.

The latest version of the Chicago plan would apply only to companies with annual revenues of more than $20 million, a provision aimed exclusively at fast-food giants.

A few companies have moved to eliminate trans fats on their own.

Wendy's announced in August that it had switched to a new cooking oil that contains no trans fatty acids. Crisco now sells a shortening that contains zero trans fats. Frito-Lay removed trans fats from its Doritos and Cheetos. Kraft's took trans fats out of Oreos.

McDonald's began using a trans fat-free cooking oil in Denmark after that country banned artificial trans fats in processed food, but it has yet to do so in the United States.

Walt Riker, vice president of corporate communications at McDonald's, said in a statement Tuesday that the company would review New York's proposal.

"McDonald's knows this is an important issue, which is why we continue to test in earnest to find ways to further reduce (trans fatty acid) levels," he said.

New York's health department had asked restaurants to impose a voluntary ban last year but found use of trans fats unchanged in recent surveys.

Under the New York proposal, restaurants would need to get artificial trans fats out of cooking oils, margarine and shortening by July 1, 2007, and all other foodstuffs by July 1, 2008. It would not affect grocery stores. It also would not apply to naturally occurring trans fats, which are found in some meats and dairy.

The Board of Health has yet to approve the proposal and will not do so until at least December, Frieden said.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration began requiring food labels to list trans fats in January.

Dr. Walter Willett, chairman of the Department of Nutrition at the Harvard University School of Public Health, praised New York health officials for considering a ban, which he said could save lives.

"Artificial trans fats are very toxic, and they almost surely causes tens of thousands of premature deaths each year," he said. "The federal government should have done this long ago."

2. Registered User

That's stupid... Ban trans fats in restaurants, then what? Those people who don't give a $hit are going to resume their normal lives, eat crap, and you're cutting out a piece of taxpayer's money for nothing. List that the food has trans fat, and let people make their own decisions.
  3. Senior Member

Reputation Reputation

I like the fact that it will force places to go in a somewhat healthier direction. I don't like anytime the government actually says you can't have something.
    •   

4. Registered User

Right... gov's job should be to let people KNOW what **** they're putting into their body, not tell them what they HAVE to put in. What if someone derives more utility from a french fries than from living an extra few years? They should have that choice.
  5. New Member

they should ban cigarettes along with trans fat. get rid of two big contributors to the over 1 trillion dollar medical this country runs up because of diabetes, heart dz, hypertension, the list goes on and on
  6. New Member

This is totally a small step in the right direction!! Maybe so many people won't need to go to all the big pharm companies for health probs etc!

Hopfully they'll require full ingridiant lists on everything!

So much crap is all about money nowdays and not the quality of the product or the benefit to the people. It's such a damn shame isn't it.

Food is depleated from nutriants, highly processed, synthetically filled with chemicals and compounds

Water is filled with Cholrine, pesticides, heavy metals, flouride, sooo much more garbage. At my gym I always fill up my water bottle and it tastes amazing during the workout. When I sit down the only thing I can taste is chlorine!! Not even water, just chlorine! The only water I can enjoy and be really hydrated from is FIJI, Evian, and this water from Poland!
  7. Elite Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by bigfucer
    they should ban cigarettes along with trans fat. get rid of two big contributors to the over 1 trillion dollar medical this country runs up because of diabetes, heart dz, hypertension, the list goes on and on
    You can't smoke cigerettes in any resturant or bar in massachusetts. you gotta go outside
  8. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeRows
    You can't smoke cigerettes in any resturant or bar in massachusetts. you gotta go outside
    No i mean ban cigarettes altogether. that would be billions of dollars saved on health expenses.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.

What kind of rubbish bill is this? Any who are these idiots who think this bill will pass? Your lifestyle is your choice.. If I want to cram down 2 big macs and eat mickey D's fries, I should beable to do so, this is America not some crazy police state. I would really like it if my State would start coming up with bills that might actually pass? Or make a difference? And if I want a cigarette when I am out drinking, I should beable to have one..
  10. New Member

No one's saying that you can't have all the Micky D's you want, just better ways to prepare and cook the food.

Thus eliminates the Trans Fat which is not needed
  11. New Member

It's hard to compare banning cigarettes in Public places and banning trans fat in public places... I thought they banned cigarettes because others didn't want to breath in the smoke. No one is forcing trans fat down anyone's throat. Plus these transfat alternatives (crisco's new shortning) are prob going to be expensive... I feel sorry for the smalltime new york bakeries..
  12. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Trans fats are used because they are so cheap, but in terms of quality of product I agree that no one would notice them when they are gone.

Banning may be a little severe(but wouldn't bother me one bit), however adding a tax to them to make them more price competetive with healthier oils.

Trans fats and high fructose corn syrups ARE at the root of many of America's health problems. Eliminating these two substances would have a positive net benefit for the entire nation IMO.
  13. New Member

It shouldent be about cost though right?! Where's that whole quality concept? I don't think any of us would purchase products with Trans Fat in it would we?

Cheap or not personally I'd always buy organic food/FIJI, Evian, etc just because of the quality and benefits.

A lil off topic but even soda to me now just tastes like chemicals. I tell everyone that comes by the house to try the tap and what they think of it. Everyone says it tastes alright, but when I drink it...Most terrible, Chlorinated, dirty taste.
  14. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by bioman
    Trans fats are used because they are so cheap, but in terms of quality of product I agree that no one would notice them when they are gone.

Banning may be a little severe(but wouldn't bother me one bit), however adding a tax to them to make them more price competetive with healthier oils.

Trans fats and high fructose corn syrups ARE at the root of many of America's health problems. Eliminating these two substances would have a positive net benefit for the entire nation IMO.

What's the funny thing is that ever since processed food has been on the rise in the early 1900's-Now...Prostate Cancer and Digestion Problems have been on the rise dramatically. If I find the article, I'll post it up.

I always wonder how mass produced food would taste with out the chemicals that make it taste a specific way? eh
  15. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  280 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

My human biology professor brought this up in his last lecture. I think, as many above have said, if its not Trans Fats it will be something else. If you are not willing to skip the doughnuts now, you dont care if there are Trans Fats included or not. It is the health concious (us) that really care, but are minimally effected.

What this means to me? I am studying to become a certified sports nutritionist and i see this helping me in the long run. By the time i am in the field, the next new killing will be out of the bag.

i think this is appropriate to put ::donut:
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  203 lbs.

Keep the trans fats. That's ridiculous that they would want to put yet another control on American industry. Personally, I'm sick and tired of the government putting their hands in EVERYTHING. There's a place for the government, and business is not it. I'm not one for trans fat, I won't eat the stuff. However, if the McDonald's down the street wants to sell it due to consumer demand, more power to them. Point in fact, the government should not control trans fat in foods served at restaurants, or anywhere for that matter. That's my two cents.
  17. New Member

So it's like saying...It's okay to have big chains corperations producing exteamly low qaulity food, filled with chemical additives, extracts, and cooked with low qaulity oils?

I don't think the government should oversee it though, but a organization of health nutritionists per say? Not the FDA, Government or any crap like that. Your just going to get big time lobbiest to take all that over. gosh what a terrible system we have on regulation of food and water.
  18. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  203 lbs.

Heh, yeah that's what it's like. You can buy healthy food too. lol

Similar Forum Threads

1. New York to Ban McDonalds
    By The Solution in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-19-2013, 11:07 AM
  2. FDA to BAN Trans-Fats
    By T-Bone in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-07-2013, 08:29 PM
  3. Need to shed some fat in 20 days.
    By Maxwell600 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-22-2009, 02:38 PM
  4. New York City bans trans fats from restaurants.
    By DeerDeer in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 12-19-2006, 03:49 PM
  5. New York City bans trans fats from restaurants.
    By DeerDeer in forum Supplements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-06-2006, 11:00 AM