Need help with handling protein shakes

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.93%

Need help with handling protein shakes

Ok, I have tried a lot of things and running out of ideas. Basically here is the problem, I usually have 2 shakes a day which would consist of 1 scoop whey, 1 cup oats and a serving or 2 of fiber. No matter what I do, I always seem to get bloated and bad gas about 4-5 hours after. Now, I am somewhat lactose intolerant but only have a problem with straight up milk. No problems with cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt etc so its not all that bad. I was originally using ON Whey and just recently switched to All the Whey's 100% isolate. Still have the same problem. I have even been dropping lactase pills with my shakes, still a problem. Now, when I get off my shakes on weekends, no problems. When I eat protein bars instead, no problems. I eat clean all day and my shakes during normal days probably only make up 15-20% of my total protein intake. With all my foods, I am sure I am getting at least 30g of fiber. Just seeing if anyone else has any more ideas on how I can fix this. Due to time constraints, I would hate to cut the shakes out totally. I also feel it is necessary for post workout. What could possibly be causing these gas problems especially if I am using 100% isolate?

2. NutraPlanet Fanatic
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.31%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting VeteranPosting Royalty

I have had problems, at times, with excess oats and fiber causing bloating/gas.

Try having a shake without the oats/fiber and see if it still persists.
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    BPS - Where Body meets Performance
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless
  3. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.61%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Digestive enzymes like papain and bromelain may be of use. Probiotics like iFlora also seem to help me. I use lots of fiber and even add a scoop of psyllium husks to my PM shake and have very few problems with gas.

Bloating..welll, that just seems to come with the territory when using whey.
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.93%

I also have digestive enzymes. I guess I'll give them a shot after the shakes. I don't think the oats or fiber are causing the problem, cause it has gotten somewhat better since adding fiber to the shakes but its still not bearable.
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92%

Have you tried limiting the shakes to just pre/post workout and eating real food at other times...it will help and it will fill you up a lot more too!

If you want to continue with the shakes, try to make sure that you are not sculling them...also maybe try to take out the oats, and try some fruit instead like bananas or berries, they have natural fibre in them and will be digested easier.
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.93%

My shakes are limited to twice a day on Workout days. I eat a real meal for pre workout and shake for post wo. I use the shake for breakfast because of time constraints. I'm trying different things. When it is one shake a day and I'm able to get a real breakfast, its not that bad.
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.16%

I seemed to have developed this problem too, except it seems like after I eat anything i get bloated with trapped gas that doesnt want to come out. Like you I can't quite figure out what the problem is. It is becoming quite obnoxious let alone discomfortable. Any insight on what the problem is anyone?
  8. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.57%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Have you ever thought of switching to mixing your shakes with just water instead of milk?

Sure it's hard to get used to at first, but eventually you won't even remember what it tastes like to mix them with milk, i haven't mixed my shakes with milk in a few years now.

Especially post workout it's sort of pointless, because you want whey PWO, and milk slows down the absorption rate.
  9. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.74%

Quote Originally Posted by dadream
    I seemed to have developed this problem too, except it seems like after I eat anything i get bloated with trapped gas that doesnt want to come out. Like you I can't quite figure out what the problem is. It is becoming quite obnoxious let alone discomfortable. Any insight on what the problem is anyone?
    Gastrointestinal/digestive issues are usually well adressed with the administration of probiotics and as bio stated, digestive enzymes.
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.93%

Quote Originally Posted by MakaveliThaDon
    Have you ever thought of switching to mixing your shakes with just water instead of milk?

Sure it's hard to get used to at first, but eventually you won't even remember what it tastes like to mix them with milk, i haven't mixed my shakes with milk in a few years now.

Especially post workout it's sort of pointless, because you want whey PWO, and milk slows down the absorption rate.
    I haven't used milk in 6 months, but the problem is still though. I'm using some digestive enzymes, works a little but not fully.
  11. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.57%

How long have you been doing this?

I remember when I started taking multiple shakes a day I would get the same thing, but I stuck with it and eventually it just went away. I even bought some ginger root at one time early on to try and make myself smell better. It was pretty rough for me.

But the point is it DID eventually go away, and now I take in much more and more frequently than I ever did back then and I don't have the slightest problems like I used to

Well, that's all I can really offer you based on personal experience. Good luck with it bro

Edit: Perhaps try a different brand/type of protein...? Maybe that particular brand, something in it, doesnt set well with you. Syntrax nectar never set well with me, just for an example.
  12. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.61%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Brand can make a big difference and as Machi pointed out, sometimes it just takes a while for your body to get used to high levels of protein.

WHen I first started out using protein shakes years ago, I could only handle about 20-30 grams at a time. Now I can pound down over 100 grams with no real issues (not that I do this often mind you).
  13. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.69%

i used to get the worst gas ever from protein too, but it eventually just went away without any digestive enzymes...your body just has to get used to it and you basically just have to stick it out. Seems like everyone else's answer but i'm just confirming it with personal experience...good luck
  14. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.93%

Well, I take protein after my workouts all the time. The only times I do not take it is on off days/weekends. Should I try making sure I have one every day? Do you think the days I don't take them are actually stopping me from adapting?
  15. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.69%

when it got the worst for me it was to the point where i would go an entire day without eating anything bc my stomach hurt so badly...i took a few days off protein(and eating for that matter) and came back into taking protein with water pre wo and with milk post wo. the reasoning for this is that i attributed the "bubbly" effects of the NOxplode i was taking as the factor which was causing the milk to set wrong. Whether or not this was a proper diagnosis, after a few days of taking off i went back to a high protein consumption and all was well. I since have come back to milk with my protein all the time and have had no problems. Hope my experiences will help you, good luck.
  16. Anabolic Innovations Owner
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.72%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Maybe this was already said, I didn't read all the posts.

you are ok with protein bars but not your protein shake so that rules out the protein powder as the culprit right?

Just use the protein powder by itself. If you still have problems then eat the protein powder dry.

CROWLER
    Sleep Supplement 3Z BCAA: Red Raspberry and Lemon flavors
    HGH/sleep enhancer: HGHpro
    Test Booster: TestoPRO and STOKED!
    Preworkout: MANIAC Fruit Punch and Pink Lemonade
  17. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.57%

Quote Originally Posted by CROWLER
    Maybe this was already said, I didn't read all the posts.

you are ok with protein bars but not your protein shake so that rules out the protein powder as the culprit right?

Just use the protein powder by itself. If you still have problems then eat the protein powder dry.

CROWLER
    Maybe it does, but maybe it doesn't. Like for example, most protein bars don't have higher than 30 grams of protein in them, 30 for a bar is actually quite high, usually there in the 20's. But a shake on the other hand, assuming he's using two scoops, that's around 50 grams in one serving, instead of the 20 or so he would get with a protein bar. He can probably easily digest 20 grams, but 50 is still probably too much for him. So in that case, I don't think just eating all the powder by itself would help, if he still can't digest that large of an amount of it at one time.

Then again I could be totally wrong and you could be dead on, I have no idea, just throwing out there what I think.
  18. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.93%

Actually, I originally thought I was taking to much. So I dropped it to one scoop. Still slight problems, protein bars, no problems. I am wondering if the fat in the protein bars is helping it digest better. Think I should try some PB in my shakes?
    I actually had a full breakfast this morning. I will do one shake this afternoon. Powder, water, fiber and thats it and see how it goes. I'll try cutting the oats out for now.
  19. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.93%

Well, I have it down to it being the oats that are causing the problem. Anyone have any suggestions for another carb source I can use in place of the oats in my shake? Also, I find I have some problems with Whole wheat breads if I eat a bunch in one day. Do oats and WW bread have gluten in it? I heard about people having digestive problems with gluten or something like that and wondering if I fit into that category and if I do, what foods should i be avoiding.
  20. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.57%

you could try dex, or maltodex in your PWO shake.
  21. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.93%

I should of stated that I try to avoid all sugars as they do not go well with me, even if in a PWO. I do better on low GI carbs. Thanks anyway
  22. Avant Research Guru
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.26%

Avoid drinking any liquids for 1 hour prior to the shake and 1 hour afterwards to ensure that the absorptive proporties of all those oats are avoided. It may seem impractical, but its not that difficult and it should alleviate alot of the bloating.
  23. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.93%

I'll have to try that out today. Let you know how it works.
  24. Avant Research Guru
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.26%

Quote Originally Posted by peterson24
    I'll have to try that out today. Let you know how it works.

Please do. I should also note that the water + Oats combo can be used in ones favor when cutting. A small amount of Oats (1/5 of a cup) with 1-2L of water will make you forget about food for a decent period of time.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Need help with protein powder
    By Head Nurse in forum Supplements
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-01-2005, 10:58 PM
  2. need help with my routine
    By Zack in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-12-2003, 05:58 PM
  3. Wardog needs help with a 10 year old!
    By wardog in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-01-2003, 06:40 PM
  4. Need help with a transdermal mix....
    By drveejay11 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-25-2003, 12:03 PM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-22-2002, 02:13 AM