How many Protein shakes on workout days ?

How many protein shakes on workout days do you drink ?

• 1 protein shake

Votes: 55 12.9%
  • 2 protein shakes

Votes: 138 32.2%
  • 3 protein shakes

Votes: 153 35.7%
  • 4 protein shakes

Votes: 59 13.8%
  • 5 or more protein shakes

Votes: 23 5.4%

• Total voters

Stinger124

Awards
  • Established
How many Protein shakes do you drink on workout days ?

Just curious to see how many protein shakes a day you drink on your workout days ?

Last edited:

Stinger124

Awards
  • Established
I am drinking 4 on workout days, and 1 or 2 on non workout days..

Stinger124

Awards
  • Established
Wow... Out of 15 views, and not a single one of them drinks protein... Thats strange.. Maybe thats why I am not gaining anything.. I am taking in waaaayyyyy to much protein..:jaw:

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
Just curious to see how many protein shakes a day you drink on your workout days ?
0 for me. I pretty much stick to whole foods. Gains started increasing for me when I did this. I eat every 2 hours so its mainly chicken, tuna, eggs for protein. I get home not long after working out and eat some chicken, eggs and some wholewheat toast.

Stinger124

Awards
  • Established
So you go the natural protein way.. Heck, at least someone answered..:icon_lol:

NYhomeboy

Awards
  • Established
Aside from right after your workout (and some studies showing right before...) the less shakes the better. Shakes are convenient, but that's it.

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
When my diet is in check it's 1 casein shake just before bed, sometimes I use oats and whey post workout but more often than not I'll try to get a real meal.

Stinger124

Awards
  • Established
Thats pretty wild.. Its hard for me to hit 200 plus grams of protein a day with out them. I usually have one in the mornings, one at lunch, then one 30 mins before workout, and then one 30 mins after workout. Thats only right a 100 grams of protein, but it definitly helps me..
As much talk that goes on on this board about protein shakes this, and protein shakes that, I would have expected to see more people drinking them. Makes me begin to wonder if I should stop drinking them, and or maybe onely drink one a day. I have heard that they were sooooo good for you..

Guess I will wait to see what more this poll shows before I change my mind.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
As much talk that goes on on this board about protein shakes this, and protein shakes that, I would have expected to see more people drinking them. Makes me begin to wonder if I should stop drinking them, and or maybe onely drink one a day. I have heard that they were sooooo good for you..

Guess I will wait to see what more this poll shows before I change my mind.
There has been some discussion that the body absorbs nutrients from whole foods better than from processed sources. Also when you factor in that protein shakes supply relatively few micronutrients when compared to whole food choices, there are some good arguments to be made in favour of whole food diets.

What should change your mind is what works best for you. Try out different routines and see what gives the results you want.

xcendo

Awards
Chill. I just forgot to.

Anyway, to Nitrox: I see the merit in eating whole foods as the #1 protein source, but isn't there something to be said for the rapid absorption of whey protein to support your workout energy and recovery?

Stinger124

Awards
  • Established
There we go... Gotta get the votes up that I can.. Looks like they are hard to come by. :icon_lol:

BUCKNUTS

BUCKNUTS

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
just one before bed. whole foods rest of the day.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I drink three on work-out days, but I'm one of those guys that has troubles eating enough. At lease one of those shakes is usually mixed with milk, oats, flax and fruits. Doing this helps me to put down more cals.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've gone to 1 shake on workout days and none on non workout days.

tomall2

Awards
On workout days, 1 post workout. If my diet is off or I miss a meal I might have 1 more.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Anyway, to Nitrox: I see the merit in eating whole foods as the #1 protein source, but isn't there something to be said for the rapid absorption of whey protein to support your workout energy and recovery?
Well that is certainly the predominant theory supporting its use (and often the associated high GI carb). The problem I have with it is that it implies that whole foods are not up to the task; which is something that, as far as I know, has never been conclusively supported by experimental evidence.

I do think they have their place, particularly as meal replacements with other whole food ingredients (like stxnas suggested). Personally I feel much better after switching out shakes for solid meals and results are just as good, if not better. As always though, experiment and go with what works for you.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I drink 3-4 shakes per day, usually muscle Milk. I drink one when I wake up, one post-workout, one before bed, and sometimes one for a treat. I find it very convient, as I don't have the time to cook meals all day.

Gator762

Awards
On workout days I drink 3 or so, believing in the whey rapid absorption for pre and post workout.

For other meals and off days I try to get as much real food as I can get, but it's a lot easier and cheaper to supplement a meal with a scoop of whey to get enough protein.

noviceiron

Awards
Only 1 here, post workout with 50-75 gms of simple carbs.

Other than that, you are far better off spending money on whole foods. Nothing is better at building your body then whole food. Quality meats and veggies are far superior then any powder or bar. These things should be used very sparingly, besides post work out.

As far a convince... pre cook your meals for the next day. If I don't cook 3 chicken breast the night before, I am eating 3 tuna sandwiches until I get home for dinner.

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
Just one for me, and thats post work out. I try to eat whole foods after all the reading I've done on this board.

R_Alan1

R_Alan1

Awards
  • Established
idk if you can add in a zero option or if its too late, just seems enough people said zero that'd it should be represented on the poll...jmo

Stinger124

Awards
  • Established
Went back to see if I could, and I do not think I can. Do not think it gives you an option, otherwise, it would mess with the numbers I am guessing. Honestly did not think of 0.. I thought at least 80 to 90% of body builders, or powerlifters took the stuff. The way it is talked about, I just thought it was second nature for all to take it.. I k ow food plays a huge roll, but I thought the protein would be a added bonus that everyone would jump on..

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Always question the economics behind information.

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
30g AM, 20g pre WO, 30-40g post WO, 10-20g pre-bed.

CallmeClark

Awards
  • Established
4 for me on workout days when I'm building. 2 of those are meal replacement shaks. 3 on off days building or cutting. On the cut, when I'm carbing up, I'll have a meal replacement shake preworkout and post. So, it goes back up to 4. I take my BCAA's in my shakes, yeah I'm on the Nitro-tech. Heh, I know that a lot of you out there don't like Muscletech, but... that stuff works man. lol Take it from me, I've seen very good results while I've been on it. I've been on it steady for the past 5 months. Granted, I haven't gained 8.4lbs. in 14 days like it says on the bottle, but I made significant gains prior to this cut that I've been on for the past few weeks. Ok, I won't rant on and on about Nitro-Tech.

parttimer

Awards
  • Established
50g for breakfast as I read AM
40 before lunch
40 after lunch but 2 hrs before a workout
no-xplode or chaos 1hr after shake
workout
30g post workout
30 before bed.
Dinner is in there somewhere, usually after working out and before bed!

danTman2

Awards
  • Established
2-3 maybe 4( just one scoop of MRP) at night when my sweet-tooth kicks in

hurdlemaker

hurdlemaker

Awards
  • Established
one for breakast, one after the gym, then one muscle milk at bedtime

SMOKEPALADIN

SMOKEPALADIN

Awards
  • Established
2 a day 1 Post W/O WHEY, 1 night time Cassien

Supa Freek 420

Supa Freek 420

E-BOLLER
Awards
  • Established
1 am w/whole food ~1-1.5 hrs later (everyday thing), 1 1hr preWO, 1 PWO.

4 whole food meals the rest of the day.

mymilkexpired

Awards
For myself, i rather have the RTD Meal Replacements for my post workout shakes and extra calorie boosters during the day. I typically have one in the morning post WO (im at the gym at 5am) then have some eggs when i get to work to bring my cals up to par. I might have a shake with just water in the afternoon. But i normally stick to RTD's after workout and thats about it. Everything else is whole food meals.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
i usually try to get 2 shakes in. sometimes 3 on workout days.

I prefer real food over shakes. If i dont have time or enough food at work, i will drink shakes.

CallmeClark

Awards
  • Established
Heck, I take a shake when I get up, a meal replacement pre-workout, a protein smoothie post-workout, a shake before bed, and I'll even get up in the middle of the friggin' night and drink some protein. lol Gotta like that.

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
Heck, I take a shake when I get up, a meal replacement pre-workout, a protein smoothie post-workout, a shake before bed, and I'll even get up in the middle of the friggin' night and drink some protein. lol Gotta like that.
Hi....I'm whole food....nice to meet you.

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
I put a whole momma hen chicken and 12 of her little unborn babies in a blender and liquify the whole family. I then drink this throughout the day. Does this count as a protein shake?

CallmeClark

Awards
  • Established
Haha! I'd say that it could. Not in the traditional sense though. I believe that you're paving your own road here. lol

machwon04

Awards
  • Established
I'm right around 3/day. None of them are usually only whey though, thanks to reading on AM. It's ~30gwhey and 1/2-3/4 cups of grinded oats pre and post workout. Sometimes I'll only do about 15-20g with the oats for post workout, then come home and have another ~20g blended w/ milk, water, frozen strawberries and a bannana. Then I have ~20g mixed w/ either olive oil and water or half milk/half water combo for before bed. I can't afford to buy 2 different kinds of proteins along with creatine, multi's, and all the food it takes to keep my cals up on a college budget.

Side note, is it ok to grill a bunch of chicken at once, throw it in the refridgerator, and then reheat it in the microwave when you want it? Will reheating it not kill alot of the nutrients or protein in the chicken or anything?

CallmeClark

Awards
  • Established
Heh, supposedly it will reduce some of the nutritional value to nuke your food. I do it anyway and I'm making relatively insane progress as usual. I say nuke it. It'll save ya time.

slider

Awards
Generally two a day. One in the morning to get me going and one right after my work out around 8pm.

maxxdout

Awards
Normally 2 to 3 per day depending on whether I get really hungry during the middle of the afternoon. Keeps me away from the vending machines and all those empty calories.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
40 grams 1 hour pre-workout, 50 grams immediately post workout with yogurt bar and frozen fruit.

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
I stick to whole foods. Yes I cook way to much but I prefer whole sources of Protein. If I miss a meal I will replace it with an MRP. I do 2 shakes with just Whey a day to get some extra protein. They are just simply what I drink when I wake and when I go to bed.

SwordBurn

SwordBurn

Awards
  • Established
W/O Days

Pre-W/O (AM)
2 scoop shake (mix w/ coffee :yawn:)

Post-W/O
2 scoop shake

Non W/O Days

AM 2 scoop shake

- If I don't eat "right" for lunch, I add another 2 scoop shake.*
- If my dinner contains no meat/fish, I add another 2 scoop shake.*

*applies to both w/o and non-w/o days.

hossjob

hossjob

Awards
  • Established
Personally I'm a HUGE proponant of whole foods. For me, they work better. First off, I hate chocolate, vanilla, milk, and milk shakes so most shakes make me vomit or gag even smelling them. 2ndly, anymore than 2 non-whole food meals per day and my gut goes NUTS. I usually have a shake 30 min pre workout and 30 min after my workout. On off days I may supplement with 30 grams of whey w/ 1/2 a VPX Zero Impact bar if I MUST for just 1 meal.

imprezzion

Awards
People are seemingly very diversified in their responses here! Guess I'll take the middle road ..it's usually the safest. On workout days I do 4 shakes a day, on off days, 3.

Workout Days
Muscle Milk (1 serv) in AM with milk, oats, and fruit.
(Chocolate PB & a banana is kick @ss)
Midafternoon ON Whey (2 serv) with water
Postworkout ON Whey (2 serv) with water, oats, and fruit.
Muscle Milk (1 serv) at bed, with milk, and maybe some cottage cheese if calories need boosting.

NonWorkout Days
Just knock out the PWO shake.

Voile ....shakes + whole foods (liquified or not). Best of both worlds?? (Thx for SWG for helping me tweak this!)

I eat too, but to justify ......healthcare is too demanding for a chix breast every couple of hours!