'Toxic diets' fuel child obesity

1. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.41%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Post 'Toxic diets' fuel child obesity

'Toxic diets' fuel child obesity

The increase in childhood obesity is being caused by addiction to "toxic", sugar-filled manufactured foods, a US researcher has claimed.

Robert Lustig, a University of California San Francisco child health expert said high-sugar, low-fibre diets cause hormone imbalances.

These then mean children overeat, he said in Nature Clinical Practice Endocrinology & Metabolism.

The number of overweight and obese children is rising in the US and UK.

One in four children in England are obese, official statistics published earlier this year showed.

It's relatively easy to eat a high calorie diet with what looks a very modest quantity of food on your plate
    Catherine Collins, British Dietetic Association

And 'adult' diseases, such as type 2 diabetes, are being seen in children.

Professor Lustig said food manufacturing practices have created a "toxic environment" that "doomed" children to being overweight.

He added too much fructose [fruit sugar] and too little fibre in foods both act to boost insulin levels.

Insulin acts on the brain to encourage eating by blocking signals that travel from the body's fat stores to the brain and by stimulating a pleasurable dopamine "rush" after eating.

'No choice'

Professor Lustig said food processing had changed over the last 30 years, with sugar being added to a wide variety of foods that never used to have it, and fibre being removed from many foods to create "essentially addictive" foods.

He said children could not be blamed for eating badly when they were offered such unhealthy options.

"The concept of personal responsibility is not tenable in children. No child chooses to be obese," he added.

"Young children are not responsible for food choices at home or at school, and it can hardly be said that pre-school children, in whom obesity is rampant, are in a position to accept personal responsibility."

"If we don't fix this, our children will continue to lose."

Catherine Collins, of the British Dietetic Association, said: "The energy density of today's diet means its relatively easy to eat a high calorie diet with what looks a very modest quantity of food on your plate.

'Blameless?'

"For example, a 50g bar of chocolate contains around 270kcal (calories) so has an 'energy density' of 5.4kcal a gram. But a 150g banana would provide around 140kcal.

"But I am not sure I consider the individual child/parent 'blameless'.

"Children tend to have a higher energy need per kilogram of body weight than adults, which does translate into a healthy appetite.

"And while children are not 'masters of their own destiny' as Lustig suggests, they do control their intake to some extent such as through pocket money."

She added: "We have to encourage children to choose non-food preferences to spend their money on, or to 'benchmark' their own diet against a healthy standard."

Story from BBC NEWS:
    BBC NEWS | Health | 'Toxic diets' fuel child obesity

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.23%
    Achievements Posting Pro

This article is right on target. I'm currently reading Kevin Trudeau's Natural Cures book, and aside from Kevin himself, the book is actually pretty informative. When you get passed his rants about the FDA & FTC (which are grounded, but get old quick) and teasers that ask you to become a member (paid-member) on his website to find out more, it's a good read.

Much of what I have been reading recently is focused on toxins, and I have currently been on a "detox" for the passed 3 weeks. This is a subject that not many focus on, myself included, that really should be stressed more.

I feel sorry for children that are currently growing up, because unless something changes quickly in the Food industry, they don't even have a chance...
  3. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.41%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

My mother in law has candy in every room of her house. for holidays she gives the kids buckets of candy. I hate that woman.
    My wife is having a hard time with getting away from a sugar filled diet and has a hard time understanding that a sugar is filled diet like she grew up on is not normal.
    •   

4. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.29%

Quote Originally Posted by Mass_69
    This article is right on target. I'm currently reading Kevin Trudeau's Natural Cures book, and aside from Kevin himself, the book is actually pretty informative. When you get passed his rants about the FDA & FTC (which are grounded, but get old quick) and teasers that ask you to become a member (paid-member) on his website to find out more, it's a good read.

Much of what I have been reading recently is focused on toxins, and I have currently been on a "detox" for the passed 3 weeks. This is a subject that not many focus on, myself included, that really should be stressed more.

I feel sorry for children that are currently growing up, because unless something changes quickly in the Food industry, they don't even have a chance...

What sort of detox are you on? Heavy metal ions?
    not clear what toxins you're talking about.
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.8%

I did my senior thesis on Childhood Obesity. The link to sugar can be found as early as breast feeding.
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.23%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by doom3q
    What sort of detox are you on? Heavy metal ions?
    not clear what toxins you're talking about.
    Actually I'm doing a "total-body" cleanse, using Ultimate Cleanse NutraPlanet.com: Ultimate Cleanse (120/120 tabs) By Nature's Secret.

There are ingredients to help cleanse the liver, kidneys, lymph system, and intestines/colon. I'm also watching more of what I eat in regards to checking the labels for certain ingredients (I'm giving up aspartame ). I'm also using Primaforce's Pro Liver NutraPlanet.com: Pro Liver (90 caps) By PrimaForce.

As far as toxins, I'm referring to any backup in the colon along with many of the artificial ingredients & chemicals in our food and tap water.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-12-2010, 12:09 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-20-2007, 01:15 PM
  3. Can a High-Fiber Diet Prevent Obesity?
    By yeahright in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-20-2006, 02:19 AM
  4. Strict Parenting Raises Risk Of Child Obesity
    By Viperspit in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-16-2006, 11:57 AM
  5. Your Thoughts And Opinions on Keto Dieting??
    By YellowJacket in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 12-02-2002, 02:12 AM