Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.25%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Post Nuts Are a Healthy Snack

Nuts Are a Healthy Snack

Buffalo News

08-04-06

For many Americans, snacking between meals is a way of life. Unfortunately, most of the foods that we choose to snack on aren't all that good for us.

Chips, crackers and candy bars may banish hunger pangs, but when it comes to satisfying our bodies' nutritional needs, they leave a lot to be desired. Most of these snack foods offer very little in the way of beneficial nutrients.

For folks in search of a snack food that not only satisfies hunger, but also contributes to good health, nuts are an excellent choice. The tasty nuggets are packed with vitamins, minerals and protein.

Ounce for ounce, nuts contain nearly as much protein as lean meat, but unlike animal sources of protein, nuts are naturally cholesterol free and high in fiber. Twenty-four almonds contain a little more than three grams of fiber, about the same amount of roughage as an unpeeled apple.

There's no doubt that nuts are relatively high in fat, but the polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats in nuts are the friendly types that are known to have dozens of important health benefits. Not only do they serve as a concentrated source of energy, they also supply the body with essential fatty acids and fat-soluble vitamins.

Although nuts may have been underappreciated in the past, recent research has elevated them to super-food status. Consuming small quantities of nuts on a regular basis has been shown to reduce the risk for a number of common ailments and chronic diseases, ranging from constipation to cancer.

Over the past two decades, numerous studies have concluded that people who regularly eat nuts have significantly lower rates of heart disease than people who don't. After following the dietary habits of more than 86,000 women for 14 years, Harvard researchers found that women consuming five ounces of nuts each week had a 35 percent lower risk of coronary heart disease compared to those who consumed less than one ounce per week.

Scientists at Loma Linda University also found a strong link between nuts and cardiovascular health. In a study of nearly 30,000 adults, men and women who ate two ounces of nuts four or five times a week were 50 percent less likely to suffer a heart attack than those who ate nuts less often than once a week.

The cardio-protective effect of nuts is thought to be due primarily to their cholesterol-lowering properties. Regular consumption of walnuts has been shown to increase levels of heart- healthy high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol, while diets rich in almonds, hazelnuts, pistachios and pecans appear to reduce levels of unfavorable, low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol.

In addition to improving cholesterol profiles, nuts may ward off cardiovascular disease in a number of other ways.

Research suggests that the omega-3 fatty acids in walnuts not only help prevent abnormal heart rhythms, they also reduce the risk of developing blood clots that can lead to heart attacks and strokes.

Nuts are rich in arginine, an amino acid required by the body to make nitric oxide. Nitric oxide helps reduce the workload of the heart by relaxing constricted blood vessels, lowering blood pressure and enhancing blood flow throughout the circulatory system.

While the cardiovascular benefits of eating nuts have been well established, newer research suggests that regular consumption of nuts may significantly reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes. In 2002, Harvard scientists reported that women who ate one ounce of nuts at least five times weekly had a 27 percent lower risk of developing type 2 diabetes than women who rarely or never consumed nuts.

Nuts are rich in phytochemicals and antioxidants, nature's cancer- fighting compounds. The results of two large studies have linked regular nut consumption in men with a lower risk of developing prostate cancer.

Although nuts are relatively high in calories, they are known to be beneficial in promoting weight loss, rather than weight gain. In a study of overweight adults, volunteers who ate three ounces of almonds daily for six months lost 62 percent more weight than volunteers who ate a nut-free diet with an equal number of calories.

Dr. Rallie McAllister is a family physician in Kingsport, Tenn.

2. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.07%

I try to tell my GF this all the time....
  3. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.74%

True, amazing food... but unfortunately it's not hard for me to eat 1000kcals of peanuts, walnuts, or almonds in one sitting without even realizing, lol.
    •   

4. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.11%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Jayhawkk says it all the time

5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  231 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.31%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

So does Beez.. it's one of his main lines with all his constant advances on me. You betta aKs somebody.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  203 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.94%

Yeah, nuts are great unless they're roasted. Gotta watch that GI.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.72%

Doesnt too many nuts raise polyunsaturated fats?? bad if you have low cholesterol maybe? not sure.. :/
  8. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  193 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.76%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by NYhomeboy View Post
    True, amazing food... but unfortunately it's not hard for me to eat 1000kcals of peanuts, walnuts, or almonds in one sitting without even realizing, lol.
    Same, cashews are so effing good and then I realize I eat 600 kcals worth of them and im like :OOO
  9. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.62%

Quote Originally Posted by EatMoar View Post
    Same, cashews are so effing good and then I realize I eat 600 kcals worth of them and im like :OOO
    MMMM Cashews
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'2"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.19%

I love pistachios! It wasn't until a couple years ago that I vegan eating almonds and couldnt really get past the yucky taste of the raw ones until a few months later. I'd roast my own in tamari and season them, but now in contest prep a few here and there are fine if raw. But I try to steer from too much extra fats as Im fat sensitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    National Level NPC Competitor
    Sponsored Athlete for Muscle Gauge Nutrition
    www.facebook.com/VanessaValdez.National.Competi tor
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  150 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    3.19%

My favorite are almonds, cashews and macadamia nuts

These nuts are very healthy and rich in protein as the best way in combating the compulsion of food cravings. They're crunchy, delicious and will help to keep your blood sugar on an even keel.
    you are what you eat!
  12. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.68%

Hello,
    I like roasted nuts but i can;t eat it all the times!!
  13. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  164 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.52%

i love nuts n more, they have amazing nut butters
    laughing giraffe has amazing, absolutely marvelous macaroons!! <- the coconut banana one, get it and its good for your pre/post workout
  14. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.27%

Keep a good stock of almonds, Pistachios, Cashews, and Macadamia nuts in my pantry at all times!
  15. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.29%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by mumbles12 View Post
    Doesnt too many nuts raise polyunsaturated fats?? bad if you have low cholesterol maybe? not sure.. :/
    Polys are the good fats? Not too sure what this post means. Lowers LDL cholesterol. Not that it really matters; there is dispute over evidence on whether or nor eating cholesterol actually raises serum cholesterol at all.
  16. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.52%

Nuts are good for health. Cashews, almonds and pistachios are the best nuts for the diet.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Healthy Snack Foods
    By Da BluFFa in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-10-2012, 07:49 AM
  2. Are the fats in soy nuts healthy??
    By Whacked in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-01-2012, 09:03 AM
  3. HCG; my nuts are huge!!
    By Presa in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 3