raw egg whites

  1. Gold Member
    massmonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    34
    Posts
    447
    Answers
    0

    raw egg whites


    For those who consume raw white; do you consider them equivalent to whole food or a shake in your daily diet? I have greatly reduced my dependence on shakes over the last year. I'll admit, at one time about 60% of my daily protein came from whey shakes.

  2. Registered User
    danTman2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Age
    25
    Posts
    994
    Answers
    0


    raw eggs=whole food
  3. Gold Member
    massmonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    34
    Posts
    447
    Answers
    0


    ya, i though so. I was just double checking because of all the talk to not base you protein intake around shakes, even casien. Well, egg whites are just as liquidous as any of my shakes.

    What i started yesterday is 1c egg whites (about 7 large), 1c skim milk and 2 scoops chocolate casein. 80/15/1 405cals. Does a body good!
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    danTman2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Age
    25
    Posts
    994
    Answers
    0


    sounds like something im going to have to start eating at school...with some oats thrown in, quick and easy.
  5. Registered User
    Ziricote's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,431
    Answers
    0


    I was using an egg white product for a little while but I got really tired of the taste of it, cooked or in a shake.
  6. Gold Member
    massmonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    34
    Posts
    447
    Answers
    0


    really, I cannot distingush a taste at all. I'm using ATW chocolate casien. Thats a damn satisfying shake. I love the viscosity the casein and eggs give it. Throw in 1/2 tray of ice cubes and some splenda and blend and it beats any milk shake out there.
  7. Registered User
    BigMattTx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    859
    Answers
    0


    I have read that raw egg whites are not worth the trouble.

    Supposively the egg protein is not really active until it is cooked. On top of that, what I read insisted that eating egg whites without the yolk was stupid because the egg contains a lot of the macronutrients.
  8. Registered User
    StallionRx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    10
    Answers
    0


    I believe all of the beneficial protein within an egg resides in the white. Cooking however denatures the protein and causes the amino acid chains to break and mold into a solid mass which changes the solubility. Your body is better able to absorb and utilize the protein in the uncooked form. The egg yolk is a good source of iron, biotin, etc. but is also very high in cholesterol.
  9. Registered User
    danTman2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Age
    25
    Posts
    994
    Answers
    0


    raw eggs are FINE...i have heard both sides to that story and it seems that raw eggs are just fine.
  10. Snuggle Club™ mascot
    bpmartyr's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Age
    41
    Posts
    4,448
    Answers
    0


    Raw eggs are fine. I do recommend adding a yolk or two into the mix as eating just the whites can cause a biotin deficiency. The cholestoral from food sources will not significantly effect you lipid profile. Yolks are good. Eat some. Whites are good. Eat a lot.
    Recent log:http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213350-lean-efx-refined.html
  11. Registered User
    rampage jackson's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  255 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,255
    Answers
    0


    I love when (every 2 weeks) this debate comes up. Whites are fine. If you're afraid of raw, get pasturized whites in carton. Ask Bobo...
    E-Pharm Nutrition Representative
  12. Gold Member
    massmonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    34
    Posts
    447
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by massmonster
    ya, i though so. I was just double checking because of all the talk to not base you protein intake around shakes, even casien. Well, egg whites are just as liquidous as any of my shakes.

    What i started yesterday is 1c egg whites (about 7 large), 1c skim milk and 2 scoops chocolate casein. 80/15/1 405cals. Does a body good!
    Again, I was not questioning the macro nutrient profile but the physical properties. I never give illness a second thought. Eight years of raw eggs and never a problem.
  13. Registered User
    jrkarp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    950
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by MattHines
    I have read that raw egg whites are not worth the trouble.

    Supposively the egg protein is not really active until it is cooked. On top of that, what I read insisted that eating egg whites without the yolk was stupid because the egg contains a lot of the macronutrients.
    Pasteurization deactivates the enzyme that keeps the protein from being bioavailable.

    Egg Beaters and the like are pasteurized, so the protein is available.

    I order bulk egg whites from Egg Whites International. You can buy a pump that measures out a precise amount each time. They are nearly tasteless so you can drink them alone, but I add them to shakes as well.

    Egg White International - Food Products
  14. Gold Member
    massmonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    34
    Posts
    447
    Answers
    0


    Thanks for the link. Looks like some good products. jkarp, I've got a PM question for you.
  15. Registered User
    BigMattTx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    859
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by jrkarp
    Pasteurization deactivates the enzyme that keeps the protein from being bioavailable.

    Egg Beaters and the like are pasteurized, so the protein is available.

    I order bulk egg whites from Egg Whites International. You can buy a pump that measures out a precise amount each time. They are nearly tasteless so you can drink them alone, but I add them to shakes as well.

    Egg White International - Food Products
    Thanks for the info. I switched over to using egg beaters for my omelettes but sometimes I still use eggs. I am going to look into buying those liquid whites...thanks!
  16. Registered User
    NO HYPE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Age
    38
    Posts
    585
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by bpmartyr
    Raw eggs are fine. I do recommend adding a yolk or two into the mix as eating just the whites can cause a biotin deficiency. The cholestoral from food sources will not significantly effect you lipid profile. Yolks are good. Eat some. Whites are good. Eat a lot.
    I eat egg yolks all the time. Full of HDL. Yeah I've been told by a Doc that eating lots of eggs in general will only have beneficial results in reguards to low lipid levels. Good food for PCT!
  17. Registered User
    txsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    38
    Posts
    3
    Answers
    0


    Man you just had to post that link. One click and two minutes later and I have two gallons coming. I need to hide my credit card while on here.
  18. Registered User
    Beelzebub's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    35
    Posts
    6,680
    Answers
    0


    10 egg whites with 1 yolk, 1.5 cups of oatmeal, 1 scoop of protein, and 1/2 cup blueberries every morning for me.
  19. Snuggle Club™ mascot
    bpmartyr's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Age
    41
    Posts
    4,448
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub
    10 egg whites with 1 yolk, 1.5 cups of oatmeal, 1 scoop of protein, and 1/2 cup blueberries every morning for me.
    Copycat! Well almost.

    2 yolks, 5 whites, 2 scoops whey, 1/2 cup oats and a full cup blueberries. Defrickenlicious.
    Recent log:http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213350-lean-efx-refined.html
  20. Registered User
    Rictor33's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    391
    Answers
    0


    I read that raw eggwhites have a chemical in them that binds to biotin and causes your body to be starved of biotin leading to dryness in skin and hair, I have read that you should always cook your eggs...
  21. Gold Member
    Rivet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,700
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by jrkarp
    Pasteurization deactivates the enzyme that keeps the protein from being bioavailable.

    Egg Beaters and the like are pasteurized, so the protein is available.

    Egg White International - Food Products
    This is good news to me. I bought an entire crate of egg beaters and have been simply drinking them for the most part. I knew I must be absorbing it since I havent noticed any strengh lose. And drinking them doesnt make me bloated and gassy as I seem to be able to digest them easier uncooked.
  22. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    tattoopierced1's Avatar
    Stats
    6'7"  270 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    5,233
    Answers
    0


    Egg Whites Int. was at the Arnold with samples...I must say I was impressed, althought it is a bit pricey for the amount of eggs I eat daily..
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE STRONGEST ON THE MARKET
    http://www.nutraplanet.com/manufacturer/advanced-muscle-science/
  23. Registered User
    jrkarp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    950
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Rictor33
    I read that raw eggwhites have a chemical in them that binds to biotin and causes your body to be starved of biotin leading to dryness in skin and hair, I have read that you should always cook your eggs...
    Pasteurization takes care of this.
  24. Registered User
    Beelzebub's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    35
    Posts
    6,680
    Answers
    0


    this argument is still going on? this has been discussed ad nauseum. raw eggs are fine, as jrkarp pointed out, they're pasteurized. been eating raw eggs for over 8 years now and going strong.
  25. Registered User
    jrkarp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    950
    Answers
    0


    Yes, and judging by your videos, raw eggs = good.
  26. Registered User
    rampage jackson's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  255 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,255
    Answers
    0


    I love egg whites...looked at egg whites international, but they are pricey! I did the math. Egg Beater knockoffs 100% egg whites= $.75 per 8oz serving, EWI = $3.73 per 8oz serving.
    E-Pharm Nutrition Representative
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Eating raw egg whites out of the carton?
    By ZoomZoom88 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 02-12-2010, 10:06 AM
  2. what is wrong with eating raw egg whites?
    By UNDERTAKER in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-05-2005, 12:04 PM
  3. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 07-16-2004, 08:54 AM
  4. Where do you get your egg whites?
    By Rock Lee in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-13-2004, 01:30 AM
  5. lana's egg whites
    By raybravo in forum Supplements
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-13-2004, 10:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in