Pot and heart health

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.7%

Pot and heart health

i was reading thru the old articles forum and found this tidbit.was wondering if u guys thought there was any credibillity to it?
    i suppose i can think ofa few exceptions where one would be exerting strenuous physical activity after smokin a bone.so wondered about this...

"Don't Smoke Pot
    The only thing more pathetic than a 43-year-old guy who still gets high is a 43-year-old guy who gets high then drops dead of a heart attack. Unfortunately, if you're still smoking pot, that could be where you're heading. A new study from Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston shows that inhaling marijuana quintuples your risk of a heart attack for 1 hour after lighting up. Trust us on this: Dropping dead in a 7-Eleven with a bag of Chee-tos in one hand and a Big Gulp in the other is no way to leave this world. Put down the weed."

2. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.5%

Quote Originally Posted by juggernaut333
    i was reading thru the old articles forum and found this tidbit.was wondering if u guys thought there was any credibillity to it?
    i suppose i can think ofa few exceptions where one would be exerting strenuous physical activity after smokin a bone.so wondered about this...

"Don't Smoke Pot
    The only thing more pathetic than a 43-year-old guy who still gets high is a 43-year-old guy who gets high then drops dead of a heart attack. Unfortunately, if you're still smoking pot, that could be where you're heading. A new study from Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston shows that inhaling marijuana quintuples your risk of a heart attack for 1 hour after lighting up. Trust us on this: Dropping dead in a 7-Eleven with a bag of Chee-tos in one hand and a Big Gulp in the other is no way to leave this world. Put down the weed."

If your from this forum and your in a 7-Eleven with a bag of Cheetos in one hand and a Big Gulp in the other....you deserve to drop dead!
  3. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.75%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

CDT will be able to chime in on this with some cites stating some stats. I would have to see the cite for this though because it seems if this were the case it would definately be a top seller for just say no commercials and i have yet to see any. Just these stupid ass ones about kids putting their hands in their mouth.
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.9%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Pot will in fact cause a mild increase in blood pressure for about one hour after smoking. The study that most infamously linked heart attacks to weed looked only at sedentary, middle aged people...not atheletes or those of us outside of that sedentary group that take at least some care of ourselves.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.76%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

I definitely don't react well to weed as far sides go, my heart races and twitches more from weed then stimulants. I guess it's an individual thing because you also had Arnold who'd light up some fatties and he's doing okay.
  6. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.38%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by bioman
    Pot will in fact cause a mild increase in blood pressure for about one hour after smoking. The study that most infamously linked heart attacks to weed looked only at sedentary, middle aged people...not atheletes or those of us outside of that sedentary group that take at least some care of ourselves.
    Yup. A rise in blood pressure was translated to an increase in risk of heart attack. While technically true the same could be said for any activity that temporarily raises your blood pressure, including getting anxious. The conclusion is not necessarily to avoid pot, but to keep yourself healthy so that a mild spike in BP for an hour or so from whatever cause isn't going to be a threat. And if you are at high risk already you should of course avoid pot, and anything else that poses a similar risk.

It's just another attempt of the government to take 'evidence' about as far out of context as possible so they can say "SEE?!?!?!?!?!?! POT IS EVIL!!!!!!!" that turns out to be quite a bit less sensational than they make it out to be.
  7. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.38%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkk
    CDT will be able to chime in on this ...
    CDB stands for Crazy Dutch Bastard. You've just transposed me into the Crazy Dutch Transvestite. I need to clothes shopping now, thanks.
  8. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.9%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by CDB
    Yup. A rise in blood pressure was translated to an increase in risk of heart attack. While technically true the same could be said for any activity that temporarily raises your blood pressure, including getting anxious. The conclusion is not necessarily to avoid pot, but to keep yourself healthy so that a mild spike in BP for an hour or so from whatever cause isn't going to be a threat. And if you are at high risk already you should of course avoid pot, and anything else that poses a similar risk.

It's just another attempt of the government to take 'evidence' about as far out of context as possible so they can say "SEE?!?!?!?!?!?! POT IS EVIL!!!!!!!" that turns out to be quite a bit less sensational than they make it out to be.

Nevermind that shovelling snow has been found to be a major precipitater of heart attacks.

Solution = ban snow.
  9. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.75%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Sorry, I was letting my personal fantasies get out again...CDB.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-12-2009, 08:58 PM
  2. Americans and Heart Health
    By David Dunn in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-16-2009, 10:18 AM
  3. Supps and heart health
    By Jag in forum Supplements
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 11-21-2008, 07:34 PM
  4. M1T cycle and Liver Health