Glucagon, Insulin, and Amino Acids

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.21%

Glucagon, Insulin, and Amino Acids

Im a little bit confused about a subject right now and I was wondering if any of you smart guys could help me out.

I have read in texts that one trigger to the release of glucagon is the increase in amino acids in the blood. The same text also stated that the increase in amino acids in blood could also be a trigger for insulin to be released.

Im wondering how this could be considering the two hormones can not be exerting their effects at the same time. It wouldnt make any sense on a physiological level. Am I wrong? Is the release of one over the other dependant on the amount of aminos in the blood? Anyone have any studies?

Thanks

TooL

2. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.6%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by TooL
    Im a little bit confused about a subject right now and I was wondering if any of you smart guys could help me out.

I have read in texts that one trigger to the release of glucagon is the increase in amino acids in the blood. The same text also stated that the increase in amino acids in blood could also be a trigger for insulin to be released.

Im wondering how this could be considering the two hormones can not be exerting their effects at the same time. It wouldnt make any sense on a physiological level. Am I wrong? Is the release of one over the other dependant on the amount of aminos in the blood? Anyone have any studies?

Thanks

TooL
    I know that glucagon can result in amino acids released in the bloodstream, but that is through catabolism. AA can have an insulin releasing effect, but it will shuttle the AA to the muscle.
  3. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.09%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Maybe in a situation where an excess of energy as protein is consumed the body will elevate glucagon to deaminize the protein into glucose and then elevate insulin to metabolize the glucose?
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.21%

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrox
    Maybe in a situation where an excess of energy as protein is consumed the body will elevate glucagon to deaminize the protein into glucose and then elevate insulin to metabolize the glucose?

So maybe its a little bit longer of a process then Im thinking? Initialy glucagon is elevated for gluconeogenesis, then the ratio of glucagon/insulin slowly changes to a higher percentage of insulin being released?

Wheres bobo? He's got to know something about this.
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.21%
    Achievements Posting Pro

You have to keep in mind that amino acids are forms of protein, and protein will cause you to release insulin, just not to the same degree as carbohydrates.

On another note in regard to glucagon & insulin, uncommonly known is that caffeine can cause a glucagon-induced rise in insulin.

Effect of Caffeine on the Recognition of and Responses to Hypoglycemia in Humans -- Kerr et al. 119 (8): 799 -- Annals of Internal Medicine

http://www.biochemj.org/bj/126/0525/1260525.pdf
  6. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by TooL

Thanks

TooL
    Glucagon and insulin play on opposite ends of see-saw. One is up, the other is down.

Now if glucagon is up (because of caloric deficit) it can cause the breakdown of muscle tissues and subsequent flooding of amino acid into the bloodstream to be metabolized into glucose for energy. Once they are released into the bloodstream and metabolized into glucose then insulin rises and glucagon decreases.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-24-2010, 08:52 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-30-2008, 02:12 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-19-2007, 01:19 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-22-2003, 11:29 AM
  5. Proper Timing of Amino Acids and Carbohydrates
    By YellowJacket in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 0