Grits.....good or bad carb????

Bildo_21

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Alright i like oatmeal as much as the next guy, but in the mourning i am looking for something different. I was thinking about grits but i know they are relatively high on the Glycemic index. I know Big a$$ Ronnie eats them every mourning but I mean he s pro and well they're different. So would these be a good thing to use instead of oatmeal in the mourning while on a lean mass cycle?????

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
No, not as a complete swap because of the goodness that oatmeals provides. mmmmm oaty!

I dunno, I bought them with the same idea months ago and then I compared the two and there was no justification to swap the two unless on a cheat or off day. imho

idunk42

King Kong
Awards
  • Established
Grits are made from ground hominy. Here's the info on it:

Food Name and Manufaturer: Corn hominy (Zea mays)(Pima Indian, USA) USA

GI (vs Glucose): 40 +/- 5

Serve Size: 150

Carb per Serve (g): 12.9

Glycemic Load: 5.2

Time Period of Test: 2h

Subjects Used in Test: Normal

Reference: Brand JC, Snow BJ, Nabhan GP, Truswell AS. Plasma glucose and insulin responses to traditional Pima Indian meals. Am J Clin Nutr 1990; 51: 416-20.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was comparing to your average local store obtainable rolled oats vs grits. Don't come in here and make me look bad! I have enough help by myself :)

idunk42

King Kong
Awards
  • Established
I was comparing to your average local store obtainable rolled oats vs grits. Don't come in here and make me look bad! I have enough help by myself :)
Gotcha. Here's the info on raw rolled oats:

Food Name and Manufaturer: Raw rolled oats, uncooked: Lowan's Whole Foods, Box Hill, Vic, Australia Australia

GI (vs Glucose): 59 +/- 4

Serve Size: 95

Carb per Serve (g): 58.7

Glycemic Load: 34.4

Time Period of Test: 2 hours

Reference: SUGiRS 2003

So apparently grits actually have lower GI

Bildo_21

Banned
Awards
  • Established
No $****, maybe thats why ronnies so big,hahaha. Yea my grits main ingredient is white ground hominy. I shall do it for a week or 2 and see what i get , i'll do 2 servings in the mourning (58 carbs) and see what happens

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oats taste better with natty PB :bruce2: Bring it on mother****er!

Bildo_21

Banned
Awards
  • Established
LOL, man i love oatmeal too, but i think i have been eating it every mourning for about 1 1/2 years now i could use a little change.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Damn, you're not kidding. Variety is definately something you miss unless you do a lot of prep work. spices are about the only thing I change now

Bildo_21

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yea its bull $hit whys eating healthy so ****ty, got ne good chicken and rice ones cause im running out????

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, chicken, rice....spice. Seriously, I couldn't justify getting all this stuff for these elaborate meals when i'm the only one in my house that eats this stuff. Too many things would go bad before I would get to use them up and it would piss off the wife. Hell she still yells at me for throwing the yolks away. So i told her to get her ass in the kitchen and start baking some pies with it :) She then began, what I like to call, a beatdown grande.

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
why even eat rice? its boring as hell, and a vastly inferior carb to a whole list of other carb sources. Sweet potatoes, oats, rye flakes, barley, lentils, fruit/veggies, quinoia, etc.

The only time ill even cook rice anymore is in a big ass pot of black beans simply because the 2 are easy to cook and last for a week (and cheap as hell).

FitnFirm

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Grits, YUCK!!!!!! I tried them once, Ohhhhh I dont know how people eat those!:rant:

Viperspit

Viperspit

Awards
  • Established
I don't think you could force me to eat those nasty lookin things :D

zdrc6

Awards
Just me.. but i love my grits. My cheat meal usually is chedar cheese grits, shrimp , and some sweet tea yummy!

Bildo_21

Banned
Awards
  • Established
yea this last week i started putting some pinto beans in with my rice and making a mexican like dish. I figure it'll get me through another week ok chicken and rice then its time to go back to the drawing board. Well ive been on the grits not for a while and so far i cant really tell what kind of tole its tekeing on my physice. Abbs are blured but im bulking heavy for this week and finally @190, but its 2 weeks earlyer than i wanted. So next week im dropping my carbs and going back to the good ol' oats. I can always count on them for beeing the best breakfast carb ever.......

Bildo_21

Banned
Awards
  • Established
And o yea grits plain are prolly top 5 worst things ever, but with some splenda and spray butter.yummyumm. It was a good change-up

jrkarp

Awards
  • Established
I like my grits with salt and pepper. Nothing else.

serene00

Awards
What?? Grits taste bad? lol.. I love them.. Like he said add a little splenda and you are good to go.. Plus Ronnie uses them so they must work.. lol.

serene00

SeaHawk22

Awards
Grits are made from ground hominy. Here's the info on it:

Food Name and Manufaturer: Corn hominy (Zea mays)(Pima Indian, USA) USA

GI (vs Glucose): 40 +/- 5

Serve Size: 150

Carb per Serve (g): 12.9

Glycemic Load: 5.2

Time Period of Test: 2h

Reference: Brand JC, Snow BJ, Nabhan GP, Truswell AS. Plasma glucose and insulin responses to traditional Pima Indian meals. Am J Clin Nutr 1990; 51: 416-20.

Sorry to kick up an old post, but has anyone else found evidence contrary to what is quoted above? Its too good to be true, Grits to me are heaven. Its 2:00AM here on the east coast and I cant wait to wake up so I can eat some grits mmmm.

Thanks all:)