Poobah's Beef Jerky Reviews.
- 05-03-2006, 12:01 PM
Poobah's Beef Jerky Reviews.
Very recently... I got sick and tired of paying 7-8 bucks Canadian for 70-80grams of Jerky.
There just had to be a better cheaper alternative.
I turned to Ebay, and came across a number of people selling jerky. So I proceeded to order jerky from 6 or 7 different sources.
I'll review each of them here, as they arrive and I have an oppertunity to munch on them.
- 05-03-2006, 12:06 PM
The Jerky Review Part I
Mr. Tams Beef Jerky -
I may of started with the best damn jerky there is.
What this means to me is:
1. It's uber dehydrated.. ounce for ounce there is way more straight protein in this jerky then any store bought jerky I ever bought. So 7 ounces of dehydrated jerky like this is like a pound of regular smoked or partially dehyrdated jerky easy.
2. There is very little extra flavouring or perservatives... and it's not sweet at all.. which means even less carbs then the store bought varieties. I'm guessing perhaps only 2 grams of carbs per 30 grams of protein.
3. It's made with AAA Angus Beef.. and man I believe it.. this stuff is so beefy tasting, and good it's hard to imagine covering it up with flavouring.
4. Shipping in canada is free....
5. Excellent service and was quick to get me the jerky.
Originally when I was placing various orders, I thought 7 ounces for 13 usd is to much... but after placing more orders in the states... and shipping was added on I was paying anywhere from 20-27 usd bucks for 1 pound, most of which are smoked and contains much more water weight aswell as more carbs and perservatives, then Mr. Tams Product. And this doesn't even take into account that I might end up having to pay custom fee's.
So, I give this Product the thumbs up. And if your in Canada...
Last edited by Poobah; 05-03-2006 at 02:23 PM.
- 05-03-2006, 12:24 PM
Poobah, have you tried IronBull?? The jerky's logo is my avatar.
05-03-2006, 12:42 PM
Not yet.. I was aware of it, they sell it on *************.. but I couldn't find it for a decent enough price. But if I do, I'll get some.Originally Posted by NiteHawk
05-03-2006, 03:28 PM
- 5'8" 230 lbs.
- Join Date
- Dec 2003
- Rep Power
- Lv. Percent
I used to do the jerky thing but the added sodium wasn't something I was comfortable with. Does any of the jerkies you're trying have a very low sodium content?
05-03-2006, 03:41 PM
well all the store bought stuff is pretty high.Originally Posted by Jayhawkk
As for the rest of the of the orders, they are just starting to come in. A new one landed on my doorstep today.. so time will tell.
Mr. tams has soy sauce in it.. and I'm pretty sure it has pretty high salt content. Myself I don't beat myself up about salt to much. But I don't add it to anything but my oatmeal in the morning.
05-03-2006, 03:43 PM
difficult to do because of the nature of dehydration itself and the preservative issue. I get mine from a friend who raise moo moo' s here in oregon and he's considering going commercial with the jerky and low sodium is one of the things we're trying to address......there are other ways, just trying to find a safe alternativeOriginally Posted by Jayhawkk
I love beef jerky!
Ahi jerky tastes like skanky Ho, however
I will keep you up to date on our efforts to market the stuff (jerky, not skanky Ho's..sorry)
05-03-2006, 04:01 PM
Probably more money in Skanky ho's...Originally Posted by cromwell
But if your friend is interested in moving some product before he goes big time, tell him to get some jerky up on Ebay, and I'll buy some right away.
05-03-2006, 04:11 PM
I googled it and found it for 3.89 U.S. Dollars per bag.Originally Posted by Poobah
05-03-2006, 04:14 PM
not to shabby.. .but that's only a 3 or 4oz bag.Originally Posted by Korrupted
about enough for one Poobah sized snack.
05-04-2006, 11:50 AM
The Jerky Review Part 2
J.V.'s Hickory Smoked Beef Strips -
Unfortunately not my thing.
Price 22.50 USD after shipping. So about 10 bucks more then Mr. Tams.. and you get about 9oz more.. So that way it looks like a decent deal... but?J.V.'s Hickory
Smoked Beef Strips
Special trim lean beef strips, never ground or chopped
Smoked in our original stone smoke house
Smoked in seasoned Ohio hickory
Secret family recipe seasonings
Vacuum packed for wholesome freshness
No fillers, only beef
Small and large quanities available
Shipped to your door step
97% Fat Free
Great low carb snack!
You've tried the rest, now try the BEST!!
Old Fashioned Hickory Smoked Beef Strips
We prepare our lean beef strips using our secret flavoring and a combination of black and white peppers. The strips are smoked in our stone smokehouse, then vacuum packed to retain our special smokehouse flavor. These strips have the traditional flavor and moist texture that Grandpa raved about.
Our beef strips are made fresh every week, and I get it as needed when you order from me. It does not sit around vac packed for weeks on a shelf somewhere. It is always fresh! So sometimes there is a slight delay in shipping if I have to wait for it to be made. I always email you with shipping details.
We are FDA inspected. This is not a product made at home in my kitchen. We are a federally inspected plant so you know all safety guidelines are carefully followed to produce a high quality product. Sorry, I cannot change the spices or seasonings for special requests. Our spices are mixed especially for us by a spice company according to our recipe.
NOTICE: Please be sure to tell me on your paypal invoice, or in an email to me, what flavors you would like so I can get them out to you as soon as possible. Thanks!
Mild - hickory flavor with a light pepper taste. Mild enough for the less adventuresome, enough flavor for every taste, a hickory lovers delight.
Hot - hickory flavor with a stronger pepper taste. Leaves a delightful slight peppery bite on your tastebuds. A taste sensation that will have you coming back for more.
Hot Cajun Beef Strips
Our Cajun style beef strips are seasoned with our secret "Louisiana Cajun" flavorings and red, white and black pepper. The strips are smoked in our stone smokehouse to give you that spicy deep south Louisiana taste. Great flavor and good heat, but it's not going to hurt you. A favorite of all spicy food lovers.
Habanero Beef Strips
Our hickory smoked beef strips flavored with red savino habanero chilies. A smoked beef strip for more adventurous tastes.
Caution: Habanero flavor is for people who like a really hot fiery flavor.
Teriyaki Beef Strips
For those of you who crave an oriental taste try our Teriyaki Strips. We blend together rich oriental seasonings for a mild and pleasing marinade. The marinated strips are then slowly smoked to perfection.
Hawaiian Beef Strips
Our Hawaiian Beef Strips are marinated with a natural unsweetened pineapple juice and brown sugar then gently smoked. The result is a taste like old-fashioned baked ham. Very tender!
1. This is smoked and advertised as juicy.. Juicy means water.. which means less protien per ounce.
2. I don't like the taste of it, no beef taste at all.. taste like pickled ham in fact. And it certainly isn't what I call hot. I don't enjoy eating it..
3. I do like the fact that they are rather meaty strips.. makes it a easy chew snack. all the strips are about the same size.
4. it's low fat, and low carb, but I'm willing to bet there is at least 4-6 grams of carbs per 15 grams of protein.
5. Quick shipping, good packaging.. and for those of you in the states this would of just cost you 14.00 USD.
6. I ate one of these strips, and it's the kind of meat and consistancy that manages to wedge itself between every available tooth and gum.. I hate that.
Two thumbs down... :icon_spid
05-04-2006, 01:07 PM
Cool.......................and thanks for the reviews man! He really wants to push the low sodium version, so I talking to a couple people. My initial thought is to use potasium chloride, but it does taste a little odd........anyway, should be on there soonOriginally Posted by Poobah
I love playing chemist!
05-04-2006, 05:11 PM
Straight Potassium chloride is weird, but if you get the half nacl and half kcl it tastes just like regular table salt.Originally Posted by cromwell
i love beef jerkey
05-09-2006, 11:13 AM
The Jerky Review Part 3
Homemade Beef Jerky K&M's Jerky and Marinades - EDIT: Please stop posting links to ebay. Thank you.
Homemade certainly seems to be where the deals are.
You are looking at 1lb of our Homemade Beef Jerky in any flavor that you would like. We offer Original, Teriyaki, Cajun, Garlic, Pepper and Spicy Hot. Also, If there is a flavor that we dont have that you would like to try, just let us know and we will see what we can do for you (We've had requests for Jalapeno, Garlic-pepper and Honey-Teriyaki).
Our Jerky is made from 100% USDA Top Round of Beef and all of our ingredients are all natural with no preservatives or additives. Jerky is great for any one who is watching their carbs because there are virtually no carbs in the Jerky, It's just packed with alot of Flavor.
The Jerky will come to you packed in a vacuum sealed bag to insure freshness. All of our Jerky is made to order, therefore you should have your Jerky at your door in approx 3-5 days.
We Sincerely appreciate you taking the time to look at our auction. If you have any questions at all please feel free to email us.
Please visit our store too see more products being introduced in the K&M Beef Jerky and Marinade Line.
******BONUS*****FREE 1 BOTTLE OF OUR STEAK DUST WITH PURCHASE OF 1 LB OF ANY FLAVOR JERKY, HURRY, LIMITED TIME ONLY!
Price 20.50 USD after shipping. So even cheaper then the strips, and even a better deal considering everything then Mr. tams..(but not nearly as tasty). definately a good choice.
1. This is definately homemade, and quite dry aswell.. With the hot flavor's I'd imagine they are both low in fat and in carbs... Not a bad choice if your looking for lean protein.
2. It definately tastes like beef, unlike the strips.. but it pails in comparison to Mr. tams beefy goodness. These things are rather thick chucks of a low grade meat, probably round or butt. be prepared to chew, cause these things are fairly tough and thick.
3. There's alot of flavors to choose from, I got hot and spicey... it's hot but not that hot.. perhaps other flavors are better.
4. Definately going to get meat between your teeth again.
5. You get a free bottle of home made steak spice.
While it's not the best tasting jerky in the world.. you get decent value for your money.. the meat is dry, lean, and fairly carb free, and not all that salty by the taste of it. It easily beats more store bought varieties for value, both price wise and nutritional wise.
two thumbs up, but Tams taste mucho better, but tams would cost more too..
05-15-2006, 08:43 AM
The Jerky Review Part 4
Uncle Bobs - Peoples Choice Jerky -
Not exactly as advertised, but damn it tastes good.
Price 22.09 USD after shipping to canada. Good price for 1lb, of very decent jerky.PEOPLES CHOICE HOT BEEF JERKY
YOUR BIDDING ON 1 LB
HOT N SPICY FLAVOR
ITS THE PEOPLES CHOICE IN BEEF JERKY
ONE FULL LB OF BEEF JERKY SLAB
THIS AUCTION IS FOR 1. LBS OF HOT
ATTENTION JERKY FANS DON'T MISS THIS ONE
GIANT SLAB OF BEEF JERKY
APPROX SIZE 9 IN X 11 IN HUGE
PEOPLES CHOICE BEEF JERKY
Winner gets 1 lb
1. This was made with thin, but large slabs of meat... very dry, and tasty. Even though the picture showed a peoples choice bag, this arrived no frills, and was simply a bag full of jerky.
2. Taste is good, not pickled... I got the hot flavour and its just about perfect for my tastes.. not as yummy as Mr. tams, but it's still good, and seems to be a little less processed then the fairly decent tasting but overly processed bronco billy's that I'll be reviewing next.
3. Ah... this one doesn't get between your teeth that easily.
4. protein is high, carbs and fat lower then most. Good choice all round.
Advertising was one huge slab.. or so it would of seemed.. what I got was much better in my estimation.
Definately 2 thumbs up on this choice.. and if your in the states I'd try this one before I tried others.
05-15-2006, 08:59 AM
-> looks good
05-15-2006, 09:09 AM
The colon cleanser looks interesting..Originally Posted by turkish
05-15-2006, 09:09 AM
The Jerky Review Part 5
BRONCO BILLY BEEF JERKY - \
For smoked this shiet is good.
Price 26.40 USD after shipping. For 1.25lb ( 5 x 4oz ). Fair price.BRONCO BILLY'S FAMOUS BEEF JERKY
You are bidding on 1 1/4 LBS of our FAMOUS BEEF JERKY. .
It will be packaged in 1/4 LB BAGS which are vacuum sealed to insure freshness. . .
You will receive 5 flavors.
(1) each of OLD COUNTRY, TERIYAKI, BBQ, SWEET & SPICY AND HOT & SPICY.
This jerky is tender cut not like the hard leather rubbery commercial type jerky found in the mass merchandise and convenience stores.
Also this Jerky is not the cheap low grade chopped, formed & compressed mush made from scrap and throw away meats. It is made the old fashioned way like in the 'Ma & Pa' butcher shop, stripped by hand, marinated for days and smoked in our Smoke House, over our secret processed aroma till its burstin with 'Old Fashioned' country flavor. Our jerky is FACTORY FRESH ?MADE EVERY WEEK. We do not sell out of code, overruns or outdated merchandise.
We use only USDA GRADED BEEF, carefully and hygienically packaged at our USDA inspected facility?We cook our meat in expensive state of the art smokehouses...Unlike some of our competitors who use dehydrators and work off their kitchen table. It is done under the watchful eye of Department of Agriculture inspectors and supervised by knowledgeable, highly trained personnel at our USDA approved facility.
BRONCO BILLY BEEF JERKY is the indisputable snack choice for distributors, retailers, and consumers alike and has gained the distinction of making the BEST TASTING BEEF JERKY on the Planet...BAR NONE.
Beef Jerky has been a staple in the American diet for more than 150 years, a true survival food in times of urgent need. Another favorite amongst hunters,fishermen, hikers, bikers,shooters & bodybuilders, touting low fat, low sugar, high protein nutritional value.
Extensive research and product development throughout three generations at BRONCO BILLY FOODS has led to the origination of a predominant superior flavored BEEF JERKY, generating enormous widespread market appeal.
SEE OUR POSITIVE FEEDBACK AND KNOW YOU ARE GETTING THE BEST!!!
1. This stuff is smoked, but still fairly dried... label states approximately 2 carbs per 15 gram serving, which ain't bad.
2. I ate the Teryaki bag, and I gota say it tastes great.. really sweet but perfect for teryaki. Wasn't all sticky either, or covered in goop.. the tastes was sucked right into the meat.
3. Another one that is teeth friendly...
4. This is pretty much like stuff you'd find in the store but taste better then most, and has slightly better macro's.. but the ingredient list is long and full of strange stuff to keep this stuff fresh.
5. 4 more flavors for me to try, Personally I will be surprised if it can top the teriyaki.. but I'll find out.
Definately 2 thumbs up based mostly on just good taste and a fair price.. It's loaded with perservatives though, and doesn't really resemble meat to much anymore.. but I'll leave it up to you to decide whether that's a good or a bad thing.
EDIT: STOP POSTING EBAY LINKS FOR THE SECOND TIME!
Similar Forum Threads
- By Frotsmud in forum SupplementsReplies: 24Last Post: 04-21-2008, 02:24 PM
- By getjacked63 in forum Nutrition / HealthReplies: 23Last Post: 12-06-2006, 02:59 AM
- By Cosmo in forum General ChatReplies: 15Last Post: 05-03-2005, 11:42 AM
- By mauibuilt in forum Weight LossReplies: 2Last Post: 06-28-2003, 12:13 AM
- By Inzah Dude in forum Weight LossReplies: 43Last Post: 01-25-2003, 04:01 PM