Is 1 beer after a workout Bad 4 u or ur muscles?

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.72%

Is 1 beer after a workout Bad 4 u or ur muscles?

Some people say that the alcohol gets absorbed into your muscles and breaking them down, while others say it shouldn't matter as long as you keep the calories of the beer into account with the rest of your cals.

2. King Kong
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.53%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    Some people say that the alcohol gets absorbed into your muscles and breaking them down, while others say it shouldn't matter as long as you keep the calories of the beer into account with the rest of your cals.
    IMO, there is no room for beer in this sport. If you do drink, I would highly advise from drinking immediately after a workout. Your muscles need proper nutrients after a workout, and beer doesnt provide any of these nutrients. If your gonna drink a beer after your workout, whats the point of even working out, because its pretty much counter productive.
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.72%

I was just wondering not like I need to have a beer everyday, the question was more around enjoying a nice cold import after a long and tough day once in a while. Jus was wondering the science behind it. I also don't believe one beer would wipe out a 2.5 hour workout.

Some info found googled
    ]
    Beer contains 150 calories.
    Beer has no fat
    Beer has no cholesterol
    Beer is caffeine free
    Beer contains no nitrate
    Beer contains 1 gram of protein and 13 grams of carbohydrates
    Beer contains significant amounts of magnesium, selenium, potassium, phosphorus, and biotin
    Beer is chock full of the B vitamins (as anyone who has taken brewer's yeast as a B supplement already knows), with impressive amounts of B3 (niacin), B5 (pantothenic acid), B6 (pyridoxin), and B9 (folate), with smaller amounts of B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), B12 inotisol and choline.
    Beer is 92 percent water

Please don't get my position wrong, I rarely drink at all anymore and I understand that as being part of a improved lifestyle. Anyways I had my fun drinking all the time in college.

Just want the facts to what would be the detrimental aspect of consuming one beer the night after a workout maybe 5 hours prior.

Thanks,

Kam
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  243 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.34%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I agree with not drinking immediately after a workout, but there are numerous studies showing the benefits of moderate alchohol consumption in terms of fat loss, heart health, cholesterol levels to name a few. There is even a beer related study in regards to hops, which is spawning a supplement derived from an extract of hops or something. The benefits only go up to 2 drinks per day- over that and the benefits decrease.

I also agree that there are some things only a cold beer can cure!
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.6%

Quote Originally Posted by idunk42
    IMO, there is no room for beer in this sport. If you do drink, I would highly advise from drinking immediately after a workout. Your muscles need proper nutrients after a workout, and beer doesnt provide any of these nutrients. If your gonna drink a beer after your workout, whats the point of even working out, because its pretty much counter productive.
    I respectfully but completely disagree with this. One beer after a workout is negligible. Hell, two or even 3 beers after a workout is probably negligible as long as you are getting other protein/carbs and the calories fit within your daily allotment. I think if you did it after every workout then you really have to question if it's optimal, but a couple of beers after a workout once or twice a week is fine.
  6. King Kong
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.53%

Quote Originally Posted by supersize77
    I respectfully but completely disagree with this. One beer after a workout is negligible. Hell, two or even 3 beers after a workout is probably negligible as long as you are getting other protein/carbs and the calories fit within your daily allotment. I think if you did it after every workout then you really have to question if it's optimal, but a couple of beers after a workout once or twice a week is fine.
    Well I guess when Im wrong, Im wrong. I actually did some searching and found this article. Doesnt have much to do with the protein absorption, but with glycogen:

http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/95/3/983

And like you said, its probably not a big deal if you do it once in awhile, just dont make a habit of it i guess.
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.49%

I also doubt that one beer right after a workout is going to be so bad for you. Personally, I chose not to drink for at least an hour after working out. However, drinking more than two drinks a day, even on off days, seems to foster lethargy when next I work out. Hence, I don't recommend much drinking.
  8. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.11%

I'd be more worried about the destruction of my test levels then anything.
  9. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.02%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Everything in moderation... Sometimes a good microbrew, a glass of fine wine, or a shot of single malt scotch (straight up of course) cannot be ignored.

However, alcohol can be hard on the system. I forget the specifics but its something like the body throttles back regular metabolism until the alcohol is out of the system.
  10. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.84%

Well, there is really nothing to debate in this thread unless we want to start getting complicated and all.

We all know how important Post-workout nutrition is and it should be common bb-ing sense that a beer in included in your post-workout nutrition is not optional. Basically, I work to do in the hard to have a beer after heavy lifting. Of course, in the long run I don't believe this would hurt anything but on a regular basis.....come on.

Alcohol doesn't hurt, in moderation. Hell, as someone else mentioned, alcohol can have positive effects on the system if used daily (of course this is a minimal amount) but heavy abuse is very detrimental to the body, especially for building muscle.

And lastly, being a booze-hound and being dedicated to bodybuilding/fitness/health/etc doesn't go together. Personally, I gave up drinking for half of this year (7 more weeks to go w/o a drop of alcohol) just so I can concentrate on getting into shape and being better to my body.
    Yes, I will start drinking again but nothing in excess.
  11. Snuggle Club™ mascot
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.67%

The worst part of quitting drinking for me is having to be around drunk people while I'm sober. God are they annoying. I suppose so was I!

A beer here and there, if you are not an alcoholic is a good thing. Life is too short, live a little. After a workout? Doesn't even sound good to me.
    Recent log:http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213350-lean-efx-refined.html
  12. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.04%

After I workout, I definitely dont want a beer. I want some liquid that actually tastes good.

I say no on beer or any alcoholic beverage after training. The biggest reasons are below:

1. Dehydrates your cells, including muscle cells, and this will
    lower protein synthesis around 20%.

2. Lowers testosterone levels and increases estrogen.
    3. It can block the absorption of nutrients.

These are not good for the bodybuilder trying to build muscle.
  13. Pi Alpha Omega Epsilon Alpha
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.84%

Quote Originally Posted by bpmartyr
    The worst part of quitting drinking for me is having to be around drunk people while I'm sober. God are they annoying. I suppose so was I!

A beer here and there, if you are not an alcoholic is a good thing. Life is too short, live a little. After a workout? Doesn't even sound good to me.
    I couldn't agree more. Also alcohol is a depressant, after that great feeling, it all comes crashing down. I guess one wouldn't do this but still. I've also read that because it's metabolized in the liver alcohol doesn't fuel muscle work. I've read that alcohol gets like VIP treatment in your system because the body wants to metabolize it out quickly, thus people don't often eat/absorb enough of the nutrients they need.

I've switched to N/A for when I'm out and just can't avoid the situation (damn New Orleans culture). People stop giving you crap especially when you have the barkeep put it in a glass and not the bottle. Good topic, one that many people never confront in themselves.
  14. King Kong
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.53%

Quote Originally Posted by bpmartyr
    I here ya on this one! All my buddies get super annoying and I can barely stand it. For me its been almost 6 months since I had any alcohol and I dont plan on having any in the future.
  15. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.23%

Didn't Arnold drink a pitcher of beer and eat a whole chicken after working out? Didn't seem to hurt him. I'm not advocating that, but unless your competing, live a little and don't be too strict with all of this stuff.
  16. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.72%

Everyone made great points, I might have a beer on none workout days. But it makes sense as the body wan'ts to get rid of it fast, making the absorption of others things go on hold.

Also we all no that having one beer is good but 1/4 of the time 1 turns into 4 or more.

And the dehydration thing shouldve been the first thing I thought before posting.

Thanks guys, you defiently gave some greats points on both sides of the issue.
  17. I know nothing...
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.77%

I also don't believe one beer would wipe out a 2.5 hour workout.
    I think 2.5 hrs workout is a lot worse for you than a beer.
  18. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.92%

drinking a beer is fine .. drinking a beer every single night is fine .. i wouldn't do it right after my workout though
  19. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.93%

Sometimes,... beer happens.

I just make sure I eat 1 meal post workout. I will hold out on the drinking until I can at least feed my body with wht it needs first.
    2.5 hour workouts seem a little much imo
  20. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.05%

Quote Originally Posted by supersize77

I dont know about you guys, but if I have a beer or two after working out or even later that night it increases my DOMS greatly and I don't feel like my body repairs itself completely.

Just my personal observations.

The only time I will have a drink now days is on off days. Its also nice when you go out to the bars and just order a diet coke or something with no alcohol... being sober hitting on drunk chicks should be illegal, its like shooting fish in a barrel, at least here in Pullman (small town w/ a big college).
  21. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.04%

Quote Originally Posted by DmitryWI
    I think 2.5 hrs workout is a lot worse for you than a beer.
    hehe...beat me to it.
  22. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    3.33%

2.5 hours is way to long to be working out in the gym. That what you call "OVERTRAINING".

The only thing you should be taking after a workout is protien, carbs and fat.

I was just wondering not like I need to have a beer everyday, the question was more around enjoying a nice cold import after a long and tough day once in a while. Jus was wondering the science behind it. I also don't believe one beer would wipe out a 2.5 hour workout.

Some info found googled
    ]
    Beer contains 150 calories.
    Beer has no fat
    Beer has no cholesterol
    Beer is caffeine free
    Beer contains no nitrate
    Beer contains 1 gram of protein and 13 grams of carbohydrates
    Beer contains significant amounts of magnesium, selenium, potassium, phosphorus, and biotin
    Beer is chock full of the B vitamins (as anyone who has taken brewer's yeast as a B supplement already knows), with impressive amounts of B3 (niacin), B5 (pantothenic acid), B6 (pyridoxin), and B9 (folate), with smaller amounts of B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), B12 inotisol and choline.
    Beer is 92 percent water

Please don't get my position wrong, I rarely drink at all anymore and I understand that as being part of a improved lifestyle. Anyways I had my fun drinking all the time in college.

Just want the facts to what would be the detrimental aspect of consuming one beer the night after a workout maybe 5 hours prior.

Thanks,

Kam
  23. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.95%

Quote Originally Posted by McBurly
    I dont know about you guys, but if I have a beer or two after working out or even later that night it increases my DOMS greatly and I don't feel like my body repairs itself completely.

Just my personal observations.

The only time I will have a drink now days is on off days. Its also nice when you go out to the bars and just order a diet coke or something with no alcohol... being sober hitting on drunk chicks should be illegal, its like shooting fish in a barrel, at least here in Pullman (small town w/ a big college).
    It works in philly too! Diet coke with a lime and no one even knows you are not drinking.

But as for the beer, as long as your not getting too messed up, I don't think it hurts much. I never drink after workouts but when I am out at weekends, I try not to go beyond buzzed. This way I am not miserable the next morning and my workouts do not suffer.

Similar Forum Threads

1. is my progree in a year good or bad
    By IAmTheDream in forum General Chat
    Replies: 130
    Last Post: 06-14-2010, 12:56 AM
  2. Is it bad to take a warm shower an hour after you workout?
    By xpin2winx in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-05-2009, 01:52 AM
  3. Relaxing after workout bad?
    By WhatsaRoid? in forum General Chat
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-03-2008, 12:36 PM
  4. pre workout shake; good or bad idea?
    By Missy25 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-09-2007, 10:12 PM
  5. Replies: 9