Berries post workout.

1. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.34%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Berries post workout.

Instead of supplementing with Vitamin C and Vitamin E, would using blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries post workout be a good idea. I know they are high in sugar in this could lead to and insulin spike, but they are powerfull anti oxidants.

2. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.43%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Don't forget to add watermelon to that list!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes they are high in sugar, but I love fruit pre/ post workout. Remember, fructose has a really low Glycemic number. So it ought to be slow burning. Either was the ENERGY I get off real fruit is amazing. Its kinda like bread, sure its bad, but we'd be dead without it over history.
    My The 1 LOG: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/steroids/254164-my-one-log.html
  3. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.41%

I thought watermelon had a really high glycemic number?
    •   

4. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.43%

Its also loaded in Citriline Malate. It is a natural source of it. It makes a lot more sense to eat it pre than post. I am not certain what its GI is but I wouldn't doubt that it is high.
    My The 1 LOG: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/steroids/254164-my-one-log.html
  5. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.81%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

I eat pineapple or papaya after workouts for not only good sugars, but also for antioxidants, enzymes, and a little fiber. i definitely can tell a difference in my GI since adding these.
  6. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.72%

I eat fruit in the morning with breakfast and in my meal 2hours post workout. It really gives solid energy, something that I just don't get from anything else.

Tossing in a small piece of fruit with a meal is a great way to pick of some extra fiber, and increase energy levels.
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.6%

Quote Originally Posted by motiv8er
    Its also loaded in Citriline Malate. It is a natural source of it. It makes a lot more sense to eat it pre than post. I am not certain what its GI is but I wouldn't doubt that it is high.
    It is also loaded with lycopene. I may be off here, but I think a cup of raw watermelon only has a dozen or so carbs.
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.43%

All of the fruits mentioned here, especially watermelon, have a very high GI. But, if you're using them PWO, it doesn't matter because your body is blowing through carbs and it is unlikely that any of the sugars will be converted to fat. I say enjoy some fruit in moderation at the appropriate times because, as people are pointing out, there are a lot of other benefits to many fruits.
  9. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.28%

Somebody needs to do a seminar on glycemic index and glycemic load.

1 cup of diced watermelon has about 9 or 10 grams of CHO.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for life. Lao Tse 6th century BC
  10. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.41%

I eat lots of Kiwis. Gram for gram they provide more vit. c, riboflavin, iron, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus, and fiber than most other fruits, if not all. I love the taste of kiwi, its always been my next fav. fruit, under watermelon. Nothing beats a ripe watermelon.
  11. Snuggle Club™ mascot
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.52%

Quote Originally Posted by Grifter
    I thought watermelon had a really high glycemic number?
    The GI of watermelon is high (GI = 72), but its glycaemic load is relatively low (GL = 7), because the quantity of carbohydrate in a serving of watermelon (150 g or a 5 mm thick slice) is minimal,as it contains a lot of water.

Edit: Saw jonni's post after responding to this one, my bad. Good call jonni, as usual.
    Recent log:http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213350-lean-efx-refined.html
  12. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.34%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Post workout you want things food that digest quickly, I am going the route of High GI as the case with berries. Are these easliy and readily available and digested for PWO use, also what about honey PWO I heard this is more quickly used than Maltodextrin.
  13. Snuggle Club™ mascot
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.52%

Quote Originally Posted by b_delgros
    Post workout you want things food that digest quickly, I am going the route of High GI as the case with berries. Are these easliy and readily available and digested for PWO use, also what about honey PWO I heard this is more quickly used than Maltodextrin.
    berries are not high GI, in fact they are very low. Fructose found in fruits favors the liver for glycogen replenishment so are not ideal for post wo but you do not need a high GI carb source post wo. Oats are excellent as is brown basmati rice and most pastas. IMO
    Recent log:http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213350-lean-efx-refined.html
  14. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.34%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by bpmartyr
    berries are not high GI, in fact they are very low. Fructose found in fruits favors the liver for glycogen replenishment so are not ideal for post wo but you do not need a high GI carb source post wo. Oats are excellent as is brown basmati rice and most pastas. IMO
    Some people swear by a low GI post workout, on this forum there is a great discussion about HIGH GI vs. LOW GI. Anyways, then would berries be good post workout if you went the route of LOW GI?
  15. Snuggle Club™ mascot
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.52%

Quote Originally Posted by b_delgros
    Some people swear by a low GI post workout, on this forum there is a great discussion about HIGH GI vs. LOW GI. Anyways, then would berries be good post workout if you went the route of LOW GI?
    No, due to the preference fructose has towards replenishing the liver vs skeletal muscle. Berries are a great addition to a healthy diet IMO due to the anti-oxidants, fiber, anti-inflammatory charactoristics and sustained energy release along with being quite tasty but post workout is not the optimal time for their mastication.
  16. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.69%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Like Bpmartyr said, carbs from berries (and most fruit) come from fructose which is low GI. Fructose must be first metabolised in the liver before being made available as glucose so may not ideal for periods of higher activity. That said, I use them daily (incl PWO) with oats or whole grain cereals for the micronutrients and flavor.
  17. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.85%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

I usually eat oats PWO but I always eat fruit in the morning! Cool info about watermelon containg Citrullene Maleate(sp?) - no wonder when Id eat a ton of it as a kid I could run around for hours on end
  18. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.05%

I love fruit, but I eat it minimally due to it's preferential replenishment of liver glycogen. I think it could still be useful post-wo, but mainly just if you do a really grueling, draining workout. Throwing is a bit here and there isn't gonna hurt ya, unless you are cutting hard.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Post-Workout Foods to Build Muscle
    By DarCSA in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-04-2006, 04:42 PM
  2. Post your pre/post workout nutrition regimens...
    By TMack40 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 04-06-2003, 07:21 AM
  3. Pre/During/Post Workout Nutrition
    By Nelson in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-29-2003, 03:40 AM
  4. even post workout nutrition
    By sage in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-24-2003, 12:18 PM
  5. Post your pre/post workout nutrition regimens...
    By TMack40 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-21-2002, 11:10 PM